Cameroon drops Mohammed Idrissou as it announces 23 man team

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mohamadou Idrissou is one of the five players to be dropped from Cameroon's final squad for the World Cup.

The 34-year-old Kaiserslautern striker has struggled in recent times and missed a penalty in a 2-1 friendly loss to Paraguay last week.

Otherwise coach Volker Finke has opted for a tried and trusted line-up for his World Cup squad.
Coton Sport duo Loic Feidjou and Cedric Djeugoue are the only two locally-based players on the 23-man list.

Players to miss out
Guy Roland Ndy Assembe (Guingamp, France)
Jean-Armel Kana-Biyick (Rennes, France)
Gaetang Bong (Olympiakos, Greece)
Cedric Loe (Osasuna., Spain)
Mohamadou Idrissou (Kaiserslautern, Germany)

Djeugoue sealed his place on the plane to Brazil with an impressive display in the Indomitable Lions' 2-2 draw with Germany on Sunday. The other players to miss out are goalkeeper Guy Roland Ndy Assembe, midfielder Cedro Loe as well as defenders Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik and Gaetang Bong.

Much will be expected of forward Vincent Aboubakar (pictured) after his 16 goals for Lorient last season. That made him joint-second highest scorer in the French Ligue 1 behind only Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He is set to partner elder statesman Samuel Eto'o, who remains Cameroon's all-time leading scorer with 55 goals.

Cameroon are the most successful African team at the World Cup, qualifying for the tournament seven times and in Italy in 1990 they became the first team from the continent to reach the quarter-finals. In Brazil they will face the hosts, Croatia and Mexico in Group A.

Cameroon World Cup squad:
Goalkeepers: Charles Itandje (Konyaspor, Turkey), Sammy Ndjock (Fethiyespor, Turkey), Lioc Feudjou (Coton Sport)

Defenders: Allan Nyom (Granada, Spain), Nounkeu Dany (Besiktas, Turkey), Cedric Djeugoue (Coton Sport), Aurelien Chedjou (Galatasaray, Turkey), Nicolas Nkoulou (Marseille, France), Henri Bedimo (Lyon, France), Benoit Assou-Ekotto (QPR, England)

Midfielders: Enoh Eyong (Antalyaspor, Turkey), Jean Makoun (Rennes, France), Joel Matip (Schalke 04, Germany), Stephane Mbia (Sevilla, Spain on loan from QPR, England), Landry Nguemo (Bordeaux, France), Alexandre Song (Barcelona, Spain), Edgar Salli (Lens, France)

Forwards: Samuel Eto'o (Chelsea, France), Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting (Mainz 05, Germany), Benjamin Moukandjo (Nancy, France), Vincent Aboubakar (Lorient, France), Pierre Achille Webo (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Fabrice Olinga (Zulte Waregem, Belgium)
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Mohamadou Idrissou is one of the five players to be dropped from Cameroon's final squad for the World Cup.

The 34-year-old Kaiserslautern striker has struggled in recent times and missed a penalty in a 2-1 friendly loss to Paraguay last week.

Otherwise coach Volker Finke has opted for a tried and trusted line-up for his World Cup squad.
Coton Sport duo Loic Feidjou and Cedric Djeugoue are the only two locally-based players on the 23-man list.

Players to miss out
Guy Roland Ndy Assembe (Guingamp, France)
Jean-Armel Kana-Biyick (Rennes, France)
Gaetang Bong (Olympiakos, Greece)
Cedric Loe (Osasuna., Spain)
Mohamadou Idrissou (Kaiserslautern, Germany)

Djeugoue sealed his place on the plane to Brazil with an impressive display in the Indomitable Lions' 2-2 draw with Germany on Sunday. The other players to miss out are goalkeeper Guy Roland Ndy Assembe, midfielder Cedro Loe as well as defenders Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik and Gaetang Bong.

Much will be expected of forward Vincent Aboubakar (pictured) after his 16 goals for Lorient last season. That made him joint-second highest scorer in the French Ligue 1 behind only Zlatan Ibrahimovic. He is set to partner elder statesman Samuel Eto'o, who remains Cameroon's all-time leading scorer with 55 goals.

Cameroon are the most successful African team at the World Cup, qualifying for the tournament seven times and in Italy in 1990 they became the first team from the continent to reach the quarter-finals. In Brazil they will face the hosts, Croatia and Mexico in Group A.

Cameroon World Cup squad:
Goalkeepers: Charles Itandje (Konyaspor, Turkey), Sammy Ndjock (Fethiyespor, Turkey), Lioc Feudjou (Coton Sport)

Defenders: Allan Nyom (Granada, Spain), Nounkeu Dany (Besiktas, Turkey), Cedric Djeugoue (Coton Sport), Aurelien Chedjou (Galatasaray, Turkey), Nicolas Nkoulou (Marseille, France), Henri Bedimo (Lyon, France), Benoit Assou-Ekotto (QPR, England)

Midfielders: Enoh Eyong (Antalyaspor, Turkey), Jean Makoun (Rennes, France), Joel Matip (Schalke 04, Germany), Stephane Mbia (Sevilla, Spain on loan from QPR, England), Landry Nguemo (Bordeaux, France), Alexandre Song (Barcelona, Spain), Edgar Salli (Lens, France)

Forwards: Samuel Eto'o (Chelsea, France), Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting (Mainz 05, Germany), Benjamin Moukandjo (Nancy, France), Vincent Aboubakar (Lorient, France), Pierre Achille Webo (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Fabrice Olinga (Zulte Waregem, Belgium)
Jaidi
Egg
Egg
Re: Cameroon drops Mohammed Idrissou as it announces 23 man

Post by Jaidi »

Suddenly I'm more optimistic for their chances to pull through the group stage after seeing their first team play yesterday. They also have Brazil last which should be a major advantage.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

This is Cameroons best team of all times.

They have really good players and even better team play than ever before... They played great football against Tunisia in the final game of the African WC qualifier and I said it then.

Cameroon is back. Nigeria better watch out at the Next ANC.
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

ofcourse look good on paper - but will they look same on green grass??
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Shocking..
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

JJ.

Samuel Eto'o (Chelsea, France)??
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

*****************************Aboubakar******************Eto'o********************************

***********************************************Makoun*****************************************

************************Song************************************Eyong*************************

***********************************************Mbia**********************************************

***Assou-Ekotou******************Chiedli*******************Nkolou*************Djeugoue***

*******************************************Itandje***********************************************

How does this look? I must admit, I have not watched les Lions enough lately to know their strongest starting 11
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:*****************************Aboubakar******************Eto'o********************************

***********************************************Makoun*****************************************

************************Song************************************Eyong*************************

***********************************************Mbia**********************************************

***Assou-Ekotou******************Chiedli*******************Nkolou*************Djeugoue***

*******************************************Itandje***********************************************

How does this look? I must admit, I have not watched les Lions enough lately to know their strongest starting 11
You know Choupo Moting?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:*****************************Aboubakar******************Eto'o********************************

Assou Ekoto is not going to start,.. the coach will be crazy not to play Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting in the starting line up, and WEBO should partner ETO upfront...

That Moting guy is the new Eto..
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Good squad. The Indomitable Lions are ready.
Ambazonia
Egg
Egg

Post by Ambazonia »

Cameroun is going to the World Cup with a better strike force than I initially imagined. Eto'o remains a very dangerous man. Choupo Moting may be the break out star from the group. Aboubakar has learned to finish, and Webo and Moukandjo are no slouches.
Nipsy
Egg
Egg

Post by Nipsy »

Solowe wrote:

Assou Ekoto is not going to start,.. the coach will be crazy not to play Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting in the starting line up, and WEBO should partner ETO upfront...

Au contraire, I think Assou Ekoto has a role in the team, but not the way he's being used. He's our best crosser of the ball on the left hand side, and will bring something valuable to the team from left of midfield.

Webo, if needed at all, should get at most 10 minutes per game. I would prefer Moukanjo before Webo. Eto, Choupo definite starters, with Moukanjo or Aboubakar to join them depending on the formation.
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

Ayo,
I admit the LIONS have done nothing lately to merit attention...but if you don't know of Choupo-Moting then you have really fallen behind times...
If Sex and Money can't do it, Forget About It.
01.06.1955 Ghana 7-0 Nigeria International @Kwabena
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Nipsy wrote:
Solowe wrote:

Au contraire, I think Assou Ekoto has a role in the team, but not the way he's being used. He's our best crosser of the ball on the left hand side, and will bring something valuable to the team from left of midfield.

Webo, if needed at all, should get at most 10 minutes per game. I would prefer Moukanjo before Webo. Eto, Choupo definite starters, with Moukanjo or Aboubakar to join them depending on the formation.
Baba Nipsy, I was at the stadium life. I said after the Tunisia game that this team is better than the 1990 and yesterday was the confirmation. Havent yet had time to write my analyses but will do it latest tomorrow.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

Nipsy wrote:Au contraire, I think Assou Ekoto has a role in the team, but not the way he's being used. He's our best crosser of the ball on the left hand side, and will bring something valuable to the team from left of midfield.

If club football is anything to go by Henri Bedimo is by far your best crosser of the ball.
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

Nipsy wrote:
Solowe wrote:

...that I agree but his defending is atrocious and since his primary duty is defending..I'll sit him on the bench. Bedimo has that position locked down.
-This why I often ask why coaches so locked into a club-mindset. Just because a player plays such and such a position at club doesn't mean he must do same in the nat. If LIONS coaches could see beyond their noses they would have long shifted Assou into wide left midfield...that's he best position because no one else crosses like him...
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

The Goddess wrote:
Nipsy wrote:
Solowe wrote:

Baba Nipsy, I was at the stadium life. I said after the Tunisia game that this team is better than the 1990 and yesterday was the confirmation. Havent yet had time to write my analyses but will do it latest tomorrow.
Madam Doc :mrgreen: ..........if yesterday's match was a WC match, Cameroun will be a man down(red card) with 2 other players on yellow............................all in the first 15mins of the match.
Forget this team.....................against the little Mexicans, Cameroun will be lucky to end the match with 7 players on the pitch.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
mouko
Egg
Egg

Post by mouko »

The Goddess wrote:
Nipsy wrote:
Solowe wrote:

You thought that after Tunisia game? A team whose greatest achievement so far is beating Tunisia suddenly becomes better than the 1990 team?
-What are people smoking on this forum?
Just for starters, what defender in this team would make the 1990 defense of
-Ndip (no nonsense - tore off Maradona armband with his boot)
- Tataw (right back man-mountain)
- Kunde (veteran of '82 campaign as steady as a rock, cold as a cucumber)
- Massing ( oh boy Ganniggia would never forget!!).
-Does your defense of today look like one that could hold Maradona? He would wipe the floor with Nkoulou.
-People you need to take off the blinders....I swear...you forget too soon.
-Until this team can beat just Mexico...please stop all the hype...I'm sick of it at this point..
adios
Egg
Egg

Post by adios »

How many would have been out on the German side? :???: Both teams yesterday were very physical
zee wrote:
The Goddess wrote:
Nipsy wrote:
Solowe wrote:

Madam Doc :mrgreen: ..........if yesterday's match was a WC match, Cameroun will be a man down(red card) with 2 other players on yellow............................all in the first 15mins of the match.
Forget this team.....................against the little Mexicans, Cameroun will be lucky to end the match with 7 players on the pitch.
adios
Egg
Egg

Post by adios »

Solowe wrote:This is Cameroons best team of all times.

They have really good players and even better team play than ever before... They played great football against Tunisia in the final game of the African WC qualifier and I said it then.

Cameroon is back. Nigeria better watch out at the Next ANC.
I agree, this is probably the best team talent wise Cameroon has ever had. I discover this after the Portugal match. Although Cameroon lost the game, I saw something in the team that makes me believe they have something special, they just needed some minor adjustments and they will be ready for WC. Neymar of Brazil himself said in an interview that Cameroon will be the team to beat at the WC because of their physical and tactical abilities.

Cameroon is a counter attacking team and dose very well on counter, I don't understand why they abandon these system after the 1990 WC and went to pressing, anyway I am happy they decided to go back on the system, hope they continue with it.
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

mouko wrote:
The Goddess wrote:
Nipsy wrote:
Solowe wrote:

You thought that after Tunisia game? A team whose greatest achievement so far is beating Tunisia suddenly becomes better than the 1990 team? -What are people smoking on this forum?
Just for starters, what defender in this team would make the 1990 defense of
-Ndip (no nonsense - tore off Maradona armband with his boot)
- Tataw (right back man-mountain)
- Kunde (veteran of '82 campaign as steady as a rock, cold as a cucumber)
- Massing ( oh boy Ganniggia would never forget!!).
-Does your defense of today look like one that could hold Maradona? He would wipe the floor with Nkoulou.
-People you need to take off the blinders....I swear...you forget too soon.
-Until this team can beat just Mexico...please stop all the hype...I'm sick of it at this point..
Mouko, please let´s not mix things up. I´m not judging both teams on what they´ve won but on how they play. I´ve watched the finals of Cameroon vs Nigeria in 1988 and I´ll tell you that there was nothing very spectacular about that team. The match was pretty boring.
Okay I cannot conclude only by watching one game but this team is better talentwise and Finke is an intelligent man. He sees and provides concrete solutions to problems. He said he will put up a formation to have a favourable result against Germany and he did. The man knows what he´s doing.
We will just agree to disagree.
Bim
Egg
Egg
BBC wan kill me ooo..... samuel eto

Post by Bim »

World Cup 2014: Idrissou dropped from Cameroon

Coton Sport duo Loic Feidjou and Cedric Djeugoue are the only two locally based players on the 23-man list.

Djeugoue sealed his place on the plane to Brazil with an impressive display in the Indomitable Lions' 2-2 draw with Germany on Sunday.
The other players to miss out are goalkeeper Guy Roland Ndy Assembe, midfielder Cedro Loe and defenders Jean-Armel Kana-Biyik and Gaetang Bong.
Kana-Biyik has been struggling with a thigh injury throughout the last two weeks of preparations in Austria and now will not be able to emulate his father Andre, who played at the 1990 and 1994 finals.
His uncle Francois Omam-Biyik scored the opening goal of the 1990 World Cup in Italy in Cameroon's upset triumph over defending champions Argentina, a match in which Andre was sent off.
Much will be expected of forward Vincent Aboubakar after his 16 goals for Lorient last season.
That made him joint-second highest scorer in the French Ligue 1 behind only Zlatan Ibrahimovic.
He is set to partner elder statesman Samuel Eto'o, who remains Cameroon's all-time leading scorer with 55 goals. :rotf: :rotf:
Cameroon are the most successful African team at the World Cup, qualifying for the tournament seven times and in Italy in 1990 they became the first team from the continent to reach the quarter-finals.

In Brazil they will face the hosts, Croatia and Mexico in Group A.
Defenders: Allan Nyom (Granada, Spain), Nounkeu Dany (Besiktas, Turkey), Cedric Djeugoue (Coton Sport), Aurelien Chedjou (Galatasaray, Turkey), Nicolas Nkoulou (Marseille, France), Henri Bedimo (Lyon, France), Benoit Assou-Ekotto (QPR, on loan from Tottenham, England)
Forwards: Samuel Eto'o (Chelsea, England), Eric-Maxim Choupo-Moting (Mainz 05, Germany), Benjamin Moukandjo (Nancy, France), Vincent Aboubakar (Lorient, France), Pierre Achille Webo (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Fabrice Olinga (Zulte Waregem, Belgium)