Share your thoughts on Brazil's WC chances...

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg
Share your thoughts on Brazil's WC chances...

Post by Heliopolis »

On paper this is arguably the weakest Brazil team in decades. No world class attackers (At the moment Neymar can not be considered world class), and few stand out talents on the 2014 edition of Brazil. Dani Alves and Thiago Silva are world class at their respective positions but the buck stops there with world class players on this team. Neymar, Hulk, Dante, Ramires and Oscar are all very good players. Fred, Marcelo, Luis Gustavo, and Julio Cesar are OK.

However, despite the lack of star power on paper, Brazil has looked strong under Scolari and will ofcourse have the added advantage of playing at home. Their biggest asset IMO is their endless energy. Having watched them over the past year, I cant help but be amazed at watching 11 energizer bunnies run circles around their opponents for 90 minutes. They run just as hard in the 89th minute of matches as they do in the 8th minute. Though this team is full of physical light-weights, their stamina should mitigate their physical deficiencies.

Now looking at their schedule, Brazil will easily win Group A and likely come away with 9 points. Things will get tricky afterwards as they are likely to meet either Spain or Holland in the Round-of-16. I have no doubts they will defeat Holland (or Chile for that matter) but Spain will not be so easy for obvious reasons. Brazil embarrassed Spain at the CC last summer but Spain will be out to exact revenge.

Assuming Brazil advances to the quarters, they can expect to defeat whoever they meet from Groups C/D however matching up against Italy will be no easy feat and could wear this Brazil team down. If there is one team that regularly plays with ice in its veins, it is Italy who have no qualms about flying under the radar and playing the spoiler role (i.e. vs Germany in 2006).

At the semi-stage, Brazil will likely go up against Germany who advance to WC semis as if it is their birth right. We all know Loew's disappointing track record in big tournament matches but discount the Germans at your own peril.

From the opposite bracket we should see either Spain, Holland, Argentina, or Italy advancing to the final.

Personally I think Brazil is a shoe-in for the semis. The only potential obstacle IMO is Spain, who if they finish 2nd in Group B, will pose a major challenge for Brazil. If it was any other WC, I would immediately discount Brazil's chances of winning, but playing at home will give them a huge push. That being said, Brazil's route to #6 will be far from easy, and they may end up having to defeat 4 elite teams (i.e. Holland or Spain, Germany, Italy, Argentina) to pull this off which is an unlikely task even with home-crowd support.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Share your thoughts on Brazil's WC chances...

Post by kajifu »

Barzil might face Spain,Spain group is tricky with 3 teams that can make the knockout stage.Chili,Holland and Spain can beat this Brazil team.If Brazil face Spain its good night for them unless poor officiating.I dont see Brazil team make the finals even if they beat who ever the face in second round.Semi finals they will surely be out.Brazil will not make the final
Last edited by kajifu on Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

They looked quite hot in the Confed Cup. If they play like they did then, I see them winning it all

BTW Neymar is world class. His Barca performances are simply him just adjusting to football and life in Spain
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

That current Brazilian team is built to win tournaments... they have steel. Just watching the likes of Oscar learning the defensive side of the game, can't imagine how much lethal he would be when playing with his brothers... Now playing the ball as opposed to playing for the foul, it will be alot easier for them to sell the fouls... they way they play, the goals could come from any of the 10 outfield players... Scolari has always been a pragmatist... I think they will at least get to the semis and if healthy will win it all.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

All this talk of weakest Brazil in decades is for the birds, media mumbo jumbo.

Brazil is strong, an excellent foundation in defense and midfield allied by a freewheeling attack trident. In 82, Brazil had all the flair and didnt win, the team that broke their world cup duck in 94 wasnt a swashbuckling team, it was brazil finally accepting that maybe they had to try something different and bebeto plus a rampant romario led them on, that side's attack wasnt as flashy as this 14 side. This side is a throwback to the 94 side but with more offensive ability and to a lesser extent, it reminds me of the 02 scolari side but obviously less firepower.

Brazil will be fine, with their home support and ability, they're good enough to get to the 1/2 and then from there it's luck of the draw/day.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

kajifu wrote:Barzil will might face Spain,Spain group is tricky with 3 teams that can make the knockout stage.Chili,Holland and Spain can beat this Brazil team.If Brazil face Spain its good night for them unless poor officiating.I dont see Brazil team make the finals even if they beat who ever the face in second round.Semi finals they will surely be out.Brazil will not make the final
Chile cannot beat this Brazil team in a million years. I watched these 2 play in a friendly late last year and Brazil completely massacred Chile in a match that should have ended 6-0 but only ended up 2-1 for Brazil. If they were to meet in Brazil's back-yard, I cannot imagine the carnage that would ensue...3-0 for Brazil atleast.

Most likely Brazil will meet Holland in the 2nd round. If Spain struggle to score goals then I can see them finishing 2nd in Group B but the thing with Spain is that even if their attack is impotent, their possession brand of football is a nightmare to go up against and will grind teams down. Brazil may end up meeting Spain in the round of 16 and defeating them, but they may burn a ton of fuel in the process.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

platinum wrote:All this talk of weakest Brazil in decades is for the birds, media mumbo jumbo.

Brazil is strong, an excellent foundation in defense and midfield allied by a freewheeling attack trident. In 82, Brazil had all the flair and didnt win, the team that broke their world cup duck in 94 wasnt a swashbuckling team, it was brazil finally accepting that maybe they had to try something different and bebeto plus a rampant romario led them on, that side's attack wasnt as flashy as this 14 side. This side is a throwback to the 94 side but with more offensive ability and to a lesser extent, it reminds me of the 02 scolari side but obviously less firepower.

Brazil will be fine, with their home support and ability, they're good enough to get to the 1/2 and then from there it's luck of the draw/day.
I dont see the comparisons between this Brazil team and 1994 and 2002.

For instance, the 2002 edition had two already established world class attackers who were among the top 5 attackers in the world (i.e. it would be the equivalent of having, lets say, Messi and Suarez playing on the same national team today). I realize Ronaldo was coming off the knee surgeries but whenever he was healthy during that era, he was the world's best player. They had Ronaldinho playing in the hole. Comparatively speaking, lets say Neymar is at the same level of development today than Ronaldinho was in 2002 but who on Brazil right now is even close to being as good as Ronaldo and Rivaldo were in 2002? Then you had probably the best RB in the world (Cafu) and the best attacking LB (Roberto Carlos) who created terror for opponents on the flanks. In the middle of the park, Brazil was physically superior to their opponents. Though they had a relatively easy schedule in 2002, Brazil barely broke a sweat during that tournament. Lets also not forget Brazil benefited from the fact very little was expected of them in that tournament so they did not face much pressure.

Ultimately I think this Brazil team will have an identity of its own although I think they are very similar to Dunga's Brazil. Very workman like which will compensate for the lack of star quality.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Heliopolis wrote:
platinum wrote:All this talk of weakest Brazil in decades is for the birds, media mumbo jumbo.

I dont see the comparisons between this Brazil team and 1994 and 2002.

For instance, the 2002 edition had two already established world class attackers who were among the top 5 attackers in the world (i.e. it would be the equivalent of having, lets say, Messi and Suarez playing on the same national team today). I realize Ronaldo was coming off the knee surgeries but whenever he was healthy during that era, he was the world's best player. They had Ronaldinho playing in the hole. Comparatively speaking, lets say Neymar is at the same level of development today than Ronaldinho was in 2002 but who on Brazil right now is even close to being as good as Ronaldo and Rivaldo were in 2002? Then you had probably the best RB in the world (Cafu) and the best attacking LB (Roberto Carlos) who created terror for opponents on the flanks. In the middle of the park, Brazil was physically superior to their opponents. Though they had a relatively easy schedule in 2002, Brazil barely broke a sweat during that tournament. Lets also not forget Brazil benefited from the fact very little was expected of them in that tournament so they did not face much pressure.

Ultimately I think this Brazil team will have an identity of its own although I think they are very similar to Dunga's Brazil. Very workman like which will compensate for the lack of star quality.

If you read what I wrote carefully, you'll see that I said "to a lesser extent ..." and I also commented that it has much less firepower. The reason I brought up 02 is Scolari instilled a similar mental approach to the game with that side. That team was about pragmatism and winning and of course, they had the stars to cobble together joga bonito.

Did you watch the 94 side? You don't see the similarities?
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

Honestly, I see them as semi-finalist at best; on the back of strong home support.. Outside of Neymar, Scolari does not really have more magical players like he did in the 02 WC - Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho.. Then add Cafu/Carlos at FB position..

On the other hand, potential contenders like Spain, Germany, Argentina just do not look the part to me..
The knockout pathway any team takes to the final might just be key.. The teams from group E-H should fancy their chances...
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Heliopolis wrote:
kajifu wrote:Barzil will might face Spain,Spain group is tricky with 3 teams that can make the knockout stage.Chili,Holland and Spain can beat this Brazil team. If Brazil face Spain its good night for them unless poor officiating.I dont see Brazil team make the finals even if they beat who ever the face in second round.Semi finals they will surely be out.Brazil will not make the final
Chile cannot beat this Brazil team in a million years. I watched these 2 play in a friendly late last year and Brazil completely massacred Chile in a match that should have ended 6-0 but only ended up 2-1 for Brazil. If they were to meet in Brazil's back-yard, I cannot imagine the carnage that would ensue...3-0 for Brazil atleast.

Most likely Brazil will meet Holland in the 2nd round. If Spain struggle to score goals then I can see them finishing 2nd in Group B but the thing with Spain is that even if their attack is impotent, their possession brand of football is a nightmare to go up against and will grind teams down. Brazil may end up meeting Spain in the round of 16 and defeating them, but they may burn a ton of fuel in the process.
@kajifu, did you know what happened at the Confederations Cup final last year?

@ Helio, I would stick to your day job instead of trying this footie analysis stuff. Right now, Chile is the best team in the world!
They can still screw up like they did against Colombia. However, if all things remain constant, Chile will win the WC, but this is real life, where weird stuff happens.

BTW, the best Brazilian teams won nada but the so so teams, won the trophies.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Kabalega wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
kajifu wrote:Barzil will might face Spain,Spain group is tricky with 3 teams that can make the knockout stage.Chili,Holland and Spain can beat this Brazil team. If Brazil face Spain its good night for them unless poor officiating.I dont see Brazil team make the finals even if they beat who ever the face in second round.Semi finals they will surely be out.Brazil will not make the final

@ Helio, I would stick to your day job instead of trying this footie analysis stuff. Right now, Chile is the best team in the world!
They can still screw up like they did against Colombia. However, if all things remain constant, Chile will win the WC, but this is real life, where weird stuff happens.

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: @ Chile.

That team is a joke. I saw Brazil smoke Chile before my very own eyes a few months ago. That Chile attack is more impotent than an 85 year old man :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Forget about Spain and Holland, I doubt Chile will even beat Australia.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

This is not the weakest Brazilian team in decades. Wrong. They are not as talented as some strong Brazilian teams in the past. The skill level is still high, as Brazil is Brazil after all. But on the whole, it's not the electrifying and surprise you at any second brilliance of many a glorious Seleção.

However, they can simply run and overpower you like nobody else. This team is fit, strong, hungry, athletic, and...like I said...still has pretty good skill. In front of their own fans, they seem more confident and actually relaxes, contrary to the usual pressure they feel as a many times WC champ. I was in Brazil last year and found that people support the team, seeing one another as allies in defying the current political corruption.

They manhandled Italy and Spain at the Confederations Cup. The Spain game really was eye opening. Don't get me wrong, as Spain got caught in a perfect storm. If a team can beat Brazil, it will be Spain...or, their bogey team, Holland. Still, I say Brazil is the clear #1.

I think Brazil can keep a pretty clean balance sheet. Their midfield and defense can press hard on offense when needed. Neymar is armament enough when fed properly. He's a different player in Brazil, as he's still adjusting to La Liga. But with Fred, Hulk, Marcelo, and Luiz, and Brazilian fans behind him, he's going to do some damage.

Let's put it this way: if you had to bet all your $$$, wouldn't it be on Brazil?

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

mate wrote:This is not the weakest Brazilian team in decades. Wrong. They are not as talented as some strong Brazilian teams in the past. The skill level is still high, as Brazil is Brazil after all. But on the whole, it's not the electrifying and surprise you at any second brilliance of many a glorious Seleção.

However, they can simply run and overpower you like nobody else. This team is fit, strong, hungry, athletic, and...like I said...still has pretty good skill. In front of their own fans, they seem more confident and actually relaxes, contrary to the usual pressure they feel as a many times WC champ. I was in Brazil last year and found that people support the team, seeing one another as allies in defying the current political corruption.

They manhandled Italy and Spain at the Confederations Cup. The Spain game really was eye opening. Don't get me wrong, as Spain got caught in a perfect storm. If a team can beat Brazil, it will be Spain...or, their bogey team, Holland. Still, I say Brazil is the clear #1.

I think Brazil can keep a pretty clean balance sheet. Their midfield and defense can press hard on offense when needed. Neymar is armament enough when fed properly. He's a different player in Brazil, as he's still adjusting to La Liga. But with Fred, Hulk, Marcelo, and Luiz, and Brazilian fans behind him, he's going to do some damage.

Let's put it this way: if you had to bet all your $$$, wouldn't it be on Brazil?

Cheers, Mate

This Brazil team is the weakest team they have had since 1990. Even the 2010 edition went into the WC tested, having smoked all challengers in the 3 years leading up to the tournament. If not for a catastrophic 2nd half against Holland, they would've made it to the final (although they probably would have lost to Spain). This 2014 team has homefield advantage going for them. Skill wise, they are lacking compared to the 2006, 2002, 1998 and 1994 sides, hence why I used the word 'decades'. They are also untested, having played just 2 meaningful matches under Scolari, against Italy and Spain at the CC last year. While victories against those two teams has no doubted boosted their confidence, lets be honest...players usually do not take the CC seriously.

That being said...given their home record over the past 20 years, and given historical WC trends where except for 2010, a European side has never won the WC outside of their continent, and given the overall lack of heavyweights in this year's competition, I expect Brazil to atleast make the semis and probably come out on top on July 13.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Heliopolis, come on, this team is not weak. In any context. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The parts are heavy enough, even if not in the raw talent dimension compared to some past teams.

I think Brazil is going to thrash some teams.
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

mate wrote:Heliopolis, come on, this team is not weak. In any context. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts. The parts are heavy enough, even if not in the raw talent dimension compared to some past teams.

I think Brazil is going to thrash some teams.
I did not use the word 'weak'. I used 'weakest' relative to Brazil WC teams dating back to 1990. Huge difference.
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

I have been watching Brazil since i was 6 years old and for the first time in history Brazil is going into a world cup without having a striker considered to be one of the best in the world.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

I believe Brazil will win 2014 World Cup!

It will be more or less a repeat of last year's Confeds all over again. It will be very dramatic if they meet Argentina or Uruguay in the final because those south americans drive themselves to their peak but I see Brazil lifting that Cup.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Heliopolis wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: @ Chile.

That team is a joke. I saw Brazil smoke Chile before my very own eyes a few months ago. That Chile attack is more impotent than an 85 year old man :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Forget about Spain and Holland, I doubt Chile will even beat Australia.
:woot: :woot: What :?: :!: :?: You do not know football!
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Only two things can stop Brazil:

1) Shocking refereeing blunders; or
2) Spain

The critical thing for them is to avoid Spain in round 2 as both of them are on the same side of the draw. From a fan's perspective I WANT to see them to play each other.

Dark horses: Belgium

I think Ivory Coast will finally shake off their "choker" tag and make it to round 2 or quarter-finals.

Have to say though - seeing Spain leave out Negredo, Llorente, Navas, and Arbeloa is absolutely frightening. Those guys would walk into Nigeria's first 11. Leaving out such class players as surplus to requirements is amazing. That ladies and gentlemen, is the luxury of having a "world class team".
The Goddess
Egg
Egg

Post by The Goddess »

Brazil might not get out of its group. And no, I´m not crazy. :)
Nipsy
Egg
Egg

Post by Nipsy »

The Goddess wrote:Brazil might not get out of its group. And no, I´m not crazy. :)
I don't think you're crazy at all. In fact, I have the same feeling, but will know better after I see them play Croatia, and we play Mexico.
Jaidi
Egg
Egg

Post by Jaidi »

The Goddess wrote:Brazil might not get out of its group. And no, I´m not crazy. :)
:rotf: You've lost your mind. I'm rooting for Cameroon but don't be ridiculous.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Jaidi wrote:
:rotf: You've lost your mind. I'm rooting for Cameroon but don't be ridiculous.
Croatia game will be one shocking game for Brazil.