[GRP G] GHA 1 V USA 2 (FT)

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Re: [GRP G] GHA 1 V USA 2 (FT)

Post by YUJAM »

They are not fitter. They had all sorts of issues yesterday including several players who were cramping

One would think if they were fitter they'd attack more
mate wrote:
YUJAM wrote:The US was worse for the wear after the game yesterday. I think you should hope they recover for their game against Portugal.

If you look at the FIFA stats, the USA covered more ground defending than Ghana did attacking. :idea: They suffered big time
mate wrote:Again, some of you just won't give the US credit. Wow. Fine.

But for me, it's the little things. Especially how they were made possible by the American style here. Consider how immense American fitness and power made the difference on that last goal.

Who decided, near the end of game, to apply pace and resolve to force the Ghanian defender to touch the ball for a corner. It was an American emphasis on being fit, strong, and always fighting that won a crucial that corner by millimeters!!!

Cameron lunged 1st on the corner as the US pushed everyone up. Missed but cleared space for Brooks. History!!!

A lot of teams could not have physically achieved this sequence of events. I rewatched the game last night. The US boys ran like there was no tomorrow. And you know what? They could have ran more, but actually conserved a bit, keeping in mind 2 more games to play. Both teams exerted themselves, but I believe Ghana spent even more energy and will pay a heavier price in the next matches.

I hope the US team heals up. I hope by some miracle Jozy can come back. He and the US team deserve it. I hope Clint doesn't have a bloody nose. And I hope Besler can come back and partner Cameron in what was a magnificent central defensive pairing.

Kolinzo had it right. This team was engineered to beat Ghana. In every sense of the term. It was marvelous to see how US organization and planning set out to deal with and defeat a very strong nemesis, laying the foundation for possible qualification from a true group of death.

Give credit where credit is due.

Cheers, Mate <--- Loves this US team.

Aside from injuries, they'll recover. I definitely believe they're fitter.

That statistics are very interesting. I'm having difficult cutting and pasting into a spreadsheet. It would be interesting to see totals and averages, especially in low vs med vs high activity in the distances covered by each player.

I have little doubt the US team understands very well what each athlete is capable of. I wouldn't be surprised if this is tracked in real time and used by the coaches.

Cheers, Mate
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Hey YUJAM, Ghana lost, build a bridge and get over your river of tears.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

YUJAM wrote:They are not fitter. They had all sorts of issues yesterday including several players who were cramping

Check the stats. Both teams ran a lot more than in the other games I quickly checked. Bradley alone ran 12km, which is pretty impressive if accurate.

They were fitter than a Ghana team known for this. Again, this US team was engineered to win this kind of game.

They attacked decently enough. Not ideally. There were certainly problems. But I attribute this to nerves, as there was some history here.

Let's see next game.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
jinx
Egg
Egg

Post by jinx »

This group is far from over. Ghana lost to the worst US team we've played against at the world cup. Klinsmann has built a well organized team with lots of grit and motivation. They lack the talent and the depth. Despite winning against Ghana any neutral observer can notice that they were very poor. Klinsmann promised they were going to attack Ghana, and we barely saw any of that. They parked the bus, but could barely string together passes to make any meaningful attack. Coupled with the injuries and the clear physical toll the game took on them, if I were a US fan I would be really worried about the two next games.

To say that the US was fitter or had more energy in the tank is ridiculous since it was clear one team was struggling physically, while Ghana looked like they could run all day. US plays in the Amazon at Manaus next, and the conditions will be even tougher.

Ghana lost but can hold its head high that they did almost all they could. Our undoing was losing concentration with silly mistakes at the back which cost us. Hopefully the boys correct that. You count out Ghana at your own peril. In 2006 we lost our first game against Italy, then bounced back to surprise the Czech Republic, who were ranked #2 at that time in the world, same ranking as the current German team. This group is not over.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

papparassi Sport wrote:Portugal will win USA and Ghana..
The game is played on the grass not CE, una no dey hear word.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

jinx wrote:This group is far from over. Ghana lost to the worst US team we've played against at the world cup. Klinsmann has built a well organized team with lots of grit and motivation. They lack the talent and the depth. Despite winning against Ghana any neutral observer can notice that they were very poor. Klinsmann promised they were going to attack Ghana, and we barely saw any of that. They parked the bus, but could barely string together passes to make any meaningful attack. Coupled with the injuries and the clear physical toll the game took on them, if I were a US fan I would be really worried about the two next games.

To say that the US was fitter or had more energy in the tank is ridiculous since it was clear one team was struggling physically, while Ghana looked like they could run all day. US plays in the Amazon at Manaus next, and the conditions will be even tougher.

Ghana lost but can hold its head high that they did almost all they could. Our undoing was losing concentration with silly mistakes at the back which cost us. Hopefully the boys correct that. You count out Ghana at your own peril. In 2006 we lost our first game against Italy, then bounced back to surprise the Czech Republic, who were ranked #2 at that time in the world, same ranking as the current German team. This group is not over.
...one was conserving energy the other wasting energy :???:
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

kalani JR wrote:There is an arrogance many Africans have towards US soccer. The truth is the US has long been working to improve their level in the sport and while time will tell if they are among soccer's elite, the rise of soccer culture is not in doubt.
SE played them twice. Got beat twice.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

USA was fitter than Ghana :shock:
They lost two players for muscle injuries and the other were more or less limping. Dempsey was tired as hell. In fact, I was shocked how unfit the US team was. I wrote a message to a friend of mine after a few minutes of the second half that this US team is dead by now.

Unfortuntaly, Ghana sucked. Big time. Any decent side would have put 3-5 past the US in the second half :!:
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

kofi86 wrote:USA was fitter than Ghana :shock:
They lost two players for muscle injuries and the other were more or less limping. Dempsey was tired as hell. In fact, I was shocked how unfit the US team was. I wrote a message to a friend of mine after a few minutes of the second half that this US team is dead by now.

Unfortuntaly, Ghana sucked. Big time. Any decent side would have put 3-5 past the US in the second half :!:
I'm going to assume you're writing parody.

:)

Anyway, read the FIFA stats. At a quick glance, the players on both teams appear to run more than in other games. Bradley is cited as running 12km.

Unfit? Not in this game. I'm also very confident the US will recover in 6 days time. Again, they're built for this.

Cheers, Mate
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

mate wrote:
YUJAM wrote:They are not fitter. They had all sorts of issues yesterday including several players who were cramping

Check the stats. Both teams ran a lot more than in the other games I quickly checked. Bradley alone ran 12km, which is pretty impressive if accurate.

They were fitter than a Ghana team known for this. Again, this US team was engineered to win this kind of game.

They attacked decently enough. Not ideally. There were certainly problems. But I attribute this to nerves, as there was some history here.

Let's see next game.

Cheers, Mate
They were not fitter... they were hanging on and were let off by a brain fart which allowed Ghana to concede an unchallenged corner.

Even the ESPN commentators were talking about the sloppiness of the US crosses and passes due to fatigue... they even mentioned that the 51 Physios they took to Brazil will have to earn their keep.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Thank you! At the point after Ghana scored, the US were holding on for dear life... like a wrestler who had given all they've got.

Ghana were still running like they just got on...

The cruelty of sports... had Ghana won, we will be talking about how unfit US was... because they appeared tired towards the end.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

mate wrote:

Anyway, read the FIFA stats. At a quick glance, the players on both teams appear to run more than in other games. Bradley is cited as running 12km.

Unfit? Not in this game. I'm also very confident the US will recover in 6 days time. Again, they're built for this.

Cheers, Mate
Sorry, mate, there is nothing to discuss here. I am really surprised by your statement as it was obvious how tired the USA was.
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

mate wrote:

Cheers, Mate
Mate, the US team was gassed, it was very obvious. They ran a lot no doubt but they were shot.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

They ran as much as could physically be expected. Look at the stats. Most other games did not feature this kind of covered distances by the players. Like I said, Johnson was able to run down the Ghanaian defender to force the corner on which we scored. Our boys were running till the end.

By the way, Jozy might be back for Portugal: http://fansided.com/2014/06/17/jozy-alt ... up/#!0cXSE

8-) 8-) 8-)

Cheers, Mate
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

the way he pulled up, not a chance
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
asabe
Egg
Egg

Post by asabe »

The only US commentators who were truthful about the game are the talking heads at Morning Joe (MSNBC). All the panelists guy acknowledge that US was physically drained, and Ghana looked stronger throughout the game. In real time I was watching the game with Americans (for myself, I had to go home and support the bredas) and they too could see that Ghana was dominating play and looked more fitter..

You win some, you lose some. Ghana has 180 minutes to rectify the loss to US. No excuses!
“love the life you live. live the life you love.” Bob Marley
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...to all you folks saying the yanks were gassed, tired or whatever, watch the sequense of event that led to the corner and winning goal.
A fitter Ghana defender could have protected that ball well, guiding it over the line
A fitter Ghana defense could have challenged and won the ball from resultant corner kick
Ghana was tired after a long run and finally getting an equalizer, and probably the ones holding on to dear life
Yanks shocked them this time.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

mcal wrote:...to all you folks saying the yanks were gassed, tired or whatever, watch the sequense of event that led to the corner and winning goal.
A fitter Ghana defender could have protected that ball well, guiding it over the line
A fitter Ghana defense could have challenged and won the ball from resultant corner kick
Ghana was tired after a long run and finally getting an equalizer, and probably the ones holding on to dear life
Mcal, I described this exact thing. Johnson was the man. He forced Ghana to concede that corner, fighting with considerable strength and stamina for literally the last few millimeters.

And then Cameron came running from the back, setting up to contest the corner, playing a part in the ball getting to Brooks.

I can't believe folks won't acknowledge whom was the fitter team. Yujam and I contested this, as I asserted that the US was fresher, making Ghana run a bit more. Well, Yujam pointed me to the FIFA statistics.

Both teams ran much more than the other matches I checked out. But amongst 2 strong and fit teams, the US indeed was fitter and stronger on numbers at quick glance. I also have faith that this is how the US trains and plays, so they'll recover faster. The food, trainers, saunas...like Kolinzo said, scientific football.

Look, in all my years, I've NEVER seen Croatia run like that. It was awesome to watch. And it's only going to get better. This is one area where the US simply will always be at the cutting edge. Just wait till we get some more talent.

Cheers, Mate
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

mate wrote:
mcal wrote:...to all you folks saying the yanks were gassed, tired or whatever, watch the sequense of event that led to the corner and winning goal.
Mcal, I described this exact thing. Johnson was the man. He forced Ghana to concede that corner, fighting with considerable strength and stamina for literally the last few millimeters.

And then Cameron came running from the back, setting up to contest the corner, playing a part in the ball getting to Brooks.

I can't believe folks won't acknowledge whom was the fitter team. Yujam and I contested this, as I asserted that the US was fresher, making Ghana run a bit more. Well, Yujam pointed me to the FIFA statistics.

Both teams ran much more than the other matches I checked out. But amongst 2 strong and fit teams, the US indeed was fitter and stronger on numbers at quick glance. I also have faith that this is how the US trains and plays, so they'll recover faster. The food, trainers, saunas...like Kolinzo said, scientific football.

Look, in all my years, I've NEVER seen Croatia run like that. It was awesome to watch. And it's only going to get better. This is one area where the US simply will always be at the cutting edge. Just wait till we get some more talent.

Cheers, Mate
...kpom. Couldn't have said more.
Ghana was fit, but they were stunned for that quick goal and then US stubborn defending.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Fans groaned in vicarious pain and empathetic disappointment when U.S. striker Jozy Altidore pulled up lame with a hamstring injury in the 21st minute while trying to control a long pass; he was carried off on a stretcher, and his return this Word Cup appears doubtful. Fans shifted their feet nervously,as the U.S. looked slow or tired — quite possibly both — for much of the match against a plucky Ghanian side
http://mashable.com/2014/06/16/usa-ghan ... p-win-rio/
USA looked tired but Brooks nodded in from six yards following a corner to give his side a winning start.
They had looked to be tiring, and a winner seemed unlikely as Ghana dominated the second half and pulled themselves level.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25285120

Physically, the United States was even worse than they were in the aforementioned categories. Jozy Altidore and Besler’s first-half hamstring injuries suggests the players were overworked during a grueling month-long buildup to the tournament. Team USA might skate by for the next two games, but continued fitness could a hindrance in game four and beyond.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/06/usa-ghana-analy ... world-cup/

Altidore and Besler suffered muscle injuries, Bedoya and Cameron could barely walk (Bedoya was substituted). I don't know what match mate etc watched, but I think it was clear that USA was more than just tired.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

kofi86 wrote:
Fans groaned in vicarious pain and empathetic disappointment when U.S. striker Jozy Altidore pulled up lame with a hamstring injury in the 21st minute while trying to control a long pass; he was carried off on a stretcher, and his return this Word Cup appears doubtful. Fans shifted their feet nervously,as the U.S. looked slow or tired — quite possibly both — for much of the match against a plucky Ghanian side
http://mashable.com/2014/06/16/usa-ghan ... p-win-rio/
USA looked tired but Brooks nodded in from six yards following a corner to give his side a winning start.
They had looked to be tiring, and a winner seemed unlikely as Ghana dominated the second half and pulled themselves level.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25285120

Physically, the United States was even worse than they were in the aforementioned categories. Jozy Altidore and Besler’s first-half hamstring injuries suggests the players were overworked during a grueling month-long buildup to the tournament. Team USA might skate by for the next two games, but continued fitness could a hindrance in game four and beyond.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/06/usa-ghana-analy ... world-cup/

Altidore and Besler suffered muscle injuries, Bedoya and Cameron could barely walk (Bedoya was substituted). I don't know what match mate etc watched, but I think it was clear that USA was more than just tired.

I'm not sure how anyone can seriously argue that the US wasn't gassed. I watched the game at a sports bar which I rarely do and even 'clueless' Americans were complaining 70mins in about how their team was on the ropes physically.
The fact that a few players managed to make runs towards the end shouldn't deflect from the fact that more than a few of the usmnt players were struggling...badly.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Cheers, Mate
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

The US team might just be the fittest team in the tournament but anyone that has ever played even Sunday-Sunday league will tell you that the way Ghana were coming with waves and waves of attack and the US team having too heave long balls down the field to no one in particular will leave the most fittest team gassed.....

The USMNT won the game but let's not try to make them out to be what they are NOT....
Last edited by mmeny on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I