Watching Costa Rica I wonder again whats wrong with Africans

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kamerun1
Egg
Egg
Watching Costa Rica I wonder again whats wrong with Africans

Post by kamerun1 »

with no answers. This is a team that has no single player I repeat NOT ONE SINGLE PLAYER individually better than those of Nigeria, Cote D'Ivoire, Cameroon, Ghana and Algeria yet they are able to get out of a group comprising England, Italy and Uruguay. Could an African team do the same? Absolutely Not! Forget even about qualifying with 6 points, no African team out of the 5 Ive named would get 4 points in that same group. Again whats wrong with us I ask? Why are we so scared of others? Why do we have such a complex when you even call the names of average football nations like Colombia, Croatia, USA, Mexico etc... not to talk of the top ones. Do we need psychologists rather than coaches....I feel we do! The only time Cameroon reached the QF of a WC the coach was a completely unknown Russian dude who did nothing prior and never succeeded elsewhere after that. It was due in large part to the psych and spirit of the players. We vent everyday that our problem is the lack of good coaches. My brothers I dont think thats our main problem. Costa Rica doesnt have a Mourinho or Van Gal. What miracle has Capello performed with Russia? Football IMO is 75% in the head the other 25% is organization, coaching etc...
African Star
Egg
Egg
CONCACAF doing What CAF should have been doing

Post by African Star »

I will expound on this later but as I have been saying for years now, CAF has to bring our football into the modern age and we have to start playing scientific football. CONCACAF do not have the talent that we have in Africa but they are tactically and technically. Africa has lagged behind in scientific football because we loathe to take the time to develop industry. We import expatriates to develop virtually every industry without ever training ourselves to eventually run things. Even our agriculture has to be ran by expatriates, we can't grow our own food without foreign help. We can't develop our players or coaches or develop thriving domestic leagues.

sometime ago I showed this clip to my boys when an African team won a wc game for the very first time and the first thing he noted was the bad shooting and wide open defense of the German team to counterattacking and he said when did they learn to shoot in Europe because these Germans are playing and shooting just like how the African teams are shooting and playing today.

This was 32 years ago and this loss by Germany created the dawn of scientific football which we have failed to incorporate into our football. I know because I have coached many kids like Ahmed Musa, Eminike, Kalou and Gervinho coming from Africa with the same fast, strong, headless chicken with confused basic skills, poor shooting,poor vision, poor decision making etc, etc.

Virtually every African team in this wc has a headless chicken player.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Re: Watching Costa Rica I wonder again whats wrong with Afri

Post by Cellular »

kamerun1 wrote:with no answers. This is a team that has no single player I repeat NOT ONE SINGLE PLAYER individually better than those of Nigeria, Cote D'Ivoire, Cameroon, Ghana and Algeria yet they are able to get out of a group comprising England, Italy and Uruguay. Could an African team do the same? Absolutely Not! Forget even about qualifying with 6 points, no African team out of the 5 Ive named would get 4 points in that same group. Again whats wrong with us I ask? Why are we so scared of others? Why do we have such a complex when you even call the names of average football nations like Colombia, Croatia, USA, Mexico etc... not to talk of the top ones. Do we need psychologists rather than coaches....I feel we do! The only time Cameroon reached the QF of a WC the coach was a completely unknown Russian dude who did nothing prior and never succeeded elsewhere after that. It was due in large part to the psych and spirit of the players. We vent everyday that our problem is the lack of good coaches. My brothers I dont think thats our main problem. Costa Rica doesnt have a Mourinho or Van Gal. What miracle has Capello performed with Russia? Football IMO is 75% in the head the other 25% is organization, coaching etc...
The highlighted and the self immolation by our FAs.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

kamerun1 wrote:with no answers. This is a team that has no single player I repeat NOT ONE SINGLE PLAYER individually better than those of Nigeria, Cote D'Ivoire, Cameroon, Ghana and Algeria yet they are able to get out of a group comprising England, Italy and Uruguay. Could an African team do the same? Absolutely Not! Forget even about qualifying with 6 points, no African team out of the 5 Ive named would get 4 points in that same group. Again whats wrong with us I ask? Why are we so scared of others? Why do we have such a complex when you even call the names of average football nations like Colombia, Croatia, USA, Mexico etc... not to talk of the top ones. Do we need psychologists rather than coaches....I feel we do! The only time Cameroon reached the QF of a WC the coach was a completely unknown Russian dude who did nothing prior and never succeeded elsewhere after that. It was due in large part to the psych and spirit of the players. We vent everyday that our problem is the lack of good coaches. My brothers I dont think thats our main problem. Costa Rica doesnt have a Mourinho or Van Gal. What miracle has Capello performed with Russia? Football IMO is 75% in the head the other 25% is organization, coaching etc...
We don't have a complex, our players are not developed all you see is raw talent. We are tactically inept, we don't train decision making, I know it will sound funny to many here that you have to train decision making but you do. We are still inept in many of the routine things that can make a difference in a game. Yesterday CIV had about 10 corners and 12 freekicks in dangerous places, many teams would have won that game on set pieces but when an African team has a corner kick or free kick around the box the ;last thing on most of our minds is that it will result in a goal while when the opposite happens our hearts are in our throats, scared because we can't defend set pieces.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Anonymity and absolute disinterest. Who has an identity, a style? Merely followers of fashion with polyester masquerading as cashmere.
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

...And here we go again with the arrogance and over the top hyping of ourselves. The taste of the pudding
is in the eating, thus we have to hack it on the field of play and not in some boardrooms or in our hearts.
Every team in WC 2014 have players, but Costa Rica is a TEAM and not some selfish individuals with bloated egos
and no discipline.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: CONCACAF doing What CAF should have been doing

Post by kolinzo »

African Star wrote:I will expound on this later but as I have been saying for years now, CAF has to bring our football into the modern age and we have to start playing scientific football. CONCACAF do not have the talent that we have in Africa but they are tactically and technically. Africa has lagged behind in scientific football because we loathe to take the time to develop industry. We import expatriates to develop virtually every industry without ever training ourselves to eventually run things. Even our agriculture has to be ran by expatriates, we can't grow our own food without foreign help. We can't develop our players or coaches or develop thriving domestic leagues.

sometime ago I showed this clip to my boys when an African team won a wc game for the very first time and the first thing he noted was the bad shooting and wide open defense of the German team to counterattacking and he said when did they learn to shoot in Europe because these Germans are playing and shooting just like how the African teams are shooting and playing today.

This was 32 years ago and this loss by Germany created the dawn of scientific football which we have failed to incorporate into our football. I know because I have coached many kids like Ahmed Musa, Eminike, Kalou and Gervinho coming from Africa with the same fast, strong, headless chicken with confused basic skills, poor shooting,poor vision, poor decision making etc, etc.

You keep lying to yourself that Africa has more talented players than CONCACAF. I have asked you to define talent in the past and you haven't been able to do that. If you watched Mexico and CRC for an example and you concluded Africa (meaning CIV NIG CAM) has more talent then I am sorry you are missing the point completely. How do you call somebody talented when he cannot do basic things? I mean come on man.
Last edited by kolinzo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

PS, the weather.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Sorry but from this WC, the African teams are not more talented than CONCACAF teams. Moving off the ball, showing for ball, attacking space and close control are part of talent and I saw that in abundance from Costa Rica, Chile, Colombia. etc.

Let's stop kidding ourselves
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

kamerun1 wrote: This is a team that has no single player I repeat NOT ONE SINGLE PLAYER individually better than those of Nigeria, Cote D'Ivoire, Cameroon, Ghana and Algeria ...
This is where we go wrong, this long held notion that our players are somehow fantastically talented over and above what the rest of the world have...It simply is not true, like everywhere else we have some fantastic individuals but their is no evidence African players are on the average more talented than elsewhere.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Did not some fans here already declare Argentina to win the group because of the players they have?
Did not some folks here open thread that Spain vs Brazil in the finals?
Oh i forget some were saying Brazil will win the whole thing befor even kick the ball?
This are the same way most african teams do befor the game even start.
Look how Ekotto was fighting with team mate yesterday
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

AreaDaddy wrote:
kamerun1 wrote: This is a team that has no single player I repeat NOT ONE SINGLE PLAYER individually better than those of Nigeria, Cote D'Ivoire, Cameroon, Ghana and Algeria ...
This is where we go wrong, this long held notion that our players are somehow fantastically talented over and above what the rest of the world have...It simply is not true, like everywhere else we have some fantastic individuals but their is no evidence African players are on the average more talented than elsewhere.
In general, I agree with this. To some degree, sure, some populations have physical attributes that might make them better footballers. But I doubt this applies when comparing big nations.

Germany, Brazil, France, Spain, Italy, England, Russia, and Argentina are large and diverse enough to have athletes of the greatest potential. If for nothing else, they have people of all descent, including Africans. Even a small nation like Croatia is featuring players of African descent. It's fairly homogeneous populations like Vietnam or Malaysia where you might find some athletic disadvantages.

I'll repeat what many CEs have correctly noted on how to produce better teams:
  • A football culture in general.

Youth academies and youth participation, ala per every 1000 kids x become good footballers.

Great leagues.

Great continental league competition.

Sports Science

A strong NT program, emphasizing good coaches and proper tactics
Costa Rica is reaping success due to successfully leveraging some combination of the above factors. I'll bet on it. Also, what I saw on the field was some very talented and excellent Costa Rican players. No way can Kamerun make me think that every one of them is individually worse than every player on every African team.

Lastly...
...average football nations like Colombia, Croatia, USA, Mexico etc..
Are you kidding me? These nations have, do, and will continue to produce very competitive teams. They're not Brazil, Germany, and co. But they produce footballers that also ply their trade in the best leagues on earth.

Since you mentioned Croatia, I'll bite. Croatia have Modric, Rakitic, and Mandzukic playing for Real, Barcelona, and Bayern. I think they can compare favorably with any talent.

Now hopefully they prove me right against Mexico!

:mrgreen:

Cheers, Mate <--- Trying not to jinx my teams!
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
African Star
Egg
Egg
Re: CONCACAF doing What CAF should have been doing

Post by African Star »

kolinzo wrote:[quote Africanan Star"]I will expound on this later but as I have been saying for years now, CAF has to bring our football into the modern age and we have to start playing scientific football. CONCACAF do not have the talent that we have in Africa but they are tactically and technically. Africa has lagged behind in scientific football because we loathe to take the time to develop industry. We import expatriates to develop virtually every industry without ever training ourselves to eventually run things. Even our agriculture has to be ran by expatriates, we can't grow our own food without foreign help. We can't develop our players or coaches or develop thriving domestic leagues.

You keep lying to yourself that Africa has more talented players than CONCACAF. I have asked you to define talent in the past and you haven't been able to do that. If you watched Mexico and CRC for an example and you concluded Africa (meaning CIV NIG CAM) has more talent then I am sorry you are missing the point completely. How do you call somebody talented when he cannot do basic things? I mean come on man.[/quote]

Kolinzo this is exactly what i am saying. The attributes you mention are not natural they are coached and trained. I know because I am a CONCACAF trained coach, i have taken courses on how to teach these attributes and i have had many African kids come through my training who i have taught these skills and see them transform from the Pius Ikedia, Pius Ndiefi's to transition into a Gervinho/Moses type players and ultimately to well seasoned players.

And believe me it's not an easy task, i have yelled, screamed and benched players and they have walked away, quit and yelled back in frustration. But those who endured ended up thanking me for being tough on them.

Costa Rica, Mexico and most other CONCACAF nations adopted theAAmerican system after usa started dominating Concacaf.

What I am saying is if African nations adopt the same approach they will succeed. The American system was patterned after the French system that produced the wc champions. Spain and Barcelona implemented their own system and won the wc. Brazil always had asystem as ddoes Germany perennial contenders. If Africa wants to rise again we have to do long term investment in our football.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Team Play, Fitness and Determination.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Costa Rica has a settled that has been together for awhile. The USA was so scared of them that they took their qualifier at altitude on a snowy pitch.

All teams need psychologists. Cameroon needs psychiatrists too.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

If you live in the US and Costa Rica took you by surprise, then I say shame on you..This team was easily the best during WC qualifying, ahead of both USA and Mexico.
As for African teams...you simply cannot reap what you don't sow. If you grew up in Nigeria in the 70s and 80s , then you know what YSFON is, you know how hotly contested the Local leagues and Challenge Cups were..You know about Principals cup for high schools, where are those things now? Every little boy is wearing a Chelsea, Man U or Barcelona jersey.
I hear that Messi is looked at as some sort of outsider because he never played in the Argentine League. Clint Dempsey left the much vaunted Europe to come back to the MLS, can an African player ever do that?

Lets all stop deceiving ourselves and go back to regularly scheduled Premier League programming

Kabalega wrote:
Costa Rica has a settled that has been together for awhile. The USA was so scared of them that they took their qualifier at altitude on a snowy pitch.

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

nanijoe wrote:If you live in the US and Costa Rica took you by surprise, then I say shame on you..This team was easily the best during WC qualifying, ahead of both USA and Mexico.

I am officially ashamed.

I foolishly didn't follow CONCACAF as much as other zones. It's a mistake I won't make again.

I'm even going to start attending San Jose Earthquake games.

CONCACAF football has come of age. I'm supporting it.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

wale1974 wrote:Team Play, Fitness and Determination.
...the greatest thing we lack. WE meaning Nigerian to extent African teams. And why no determination? because the administrators of the sport in each country mismanage it, the players, the development of and mostly the welfare of the players.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

nanijoe wrote:If you live in the US and Costa Rica took you by surprise, then I say shame on you..This team was easily the best during WC qualifying, ahead of both USA and Mexico.
As for African teams...you simply cannot reap what you don't sow. If you grew up in Nigeria in the 70s and 80s , then you know what YSFON is, you know how hotly contested the Local leagues and Challenge Cups were..You know about Principals cup for high schools, where are those things now? Every little boy is wearing a Chelsea, Man U or Barcelona jersey.
I hear that Messi is looked at as some sort of outsider because he never played in the Argentine League. Clint Dempsey left the much vaunted Europe to come back to the MLS, can an African player ever do that?

Lets all stop deceiving ourselves and go back to regularly scheduled Premier League programming

Kabalega wrote:

...you talk true there, but the millionaires of America persuaded him to come back, where are the millionaires and billionaires of Nigeria. Sports (football) is still run as a ministerial office in Nigeria.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Kabalega wrote:

Kpom !!!
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Come to think about it, Kamerun's and African Star's first two posts of this thread are part of the problem.

There is little critical thinking involved but it is a start.

How else do you call a player who plies their trade in a top league all year, working with top trainers and players, lacking in fundamentals?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

African Star wrote:
We don't have a complex, our players are not developed all you see is raw talent. We are tactically inept, we don't train decision making, I know it will sound funny to many here that you have to train decision making but you do. We are still inept in many of the routine things that can make a difference in a game. Yesterday CIV had about 10 corners and 12 freekicks in dangerous places, many teams would have won that game on set pieces but when an African team has a corner kick or free kick around the box the ;last thing on most of our minds is that it will result in a goal while when the opposite happens our hearts are in our throats, scared because we can't defend set pieces.
Please walk me through this .....

How come a team that has Drogba, Kalou, Yaya, Zokora, Bonny, Gervinho has these issues you're raising? These guys perform all year round in top clubs but when they come to Africa, they somehow forget how to play, make the right decisions and need to be coached fundamentals? It does not make sense!

If you are referring to kids coming out of Africa or a few odd ones like Ahmed Musa, then, I understand but the pros, I do not understand.
Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dr. Sabinus Okoro Phd »

This same discussion was had after the dismal outing of 2010 and why am I not surprised we are having the same discussion again in 2014. The problem starts from what is evident on this board, there are no less than 20 topics a day on the EPL, La Liga or Serie A but one lonely thread on the Nigerian league which does not get updated for days sometimes weeks. Like Nanijoe rightly stated you reap what you sow, from Kenya to Nigeria from Uganda to Ghana the cities are crowded with viewing centers were Africans are glued to the European leagues and they know all Man U and Chelsea players by name but the local stadium is empty and nobody cares about all the Youth competitions that once produced the Stephen Keshi's and Nwankwo Kanu's.

It's back to basics folks, insist on making the local league work , revive the youth competitions and hold the FA accountable no more excuses. They don't earn much more in Costa Rica or Colombia than in many African countries but that have vibrant local leagues and functioning FA's. Why is a man like Issa Hayatou the life president of CAF? We can work to change this or continue to depend on a few big men in Chelsea and Man City and be disappointed every four years the choice is really ours.
An ignorant mind abhors knowledge.