Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:01 pm
Posts: 16400
Location: HMP. "I am innocent, I swear!"..
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/19/ca ... -world-cup

Ohsee is this your Newspaper? Do you guys not have quality control?

Quote:
MANAUS, Brazil - Two weeks before the 2014 World Cup, Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure threatened to walk away from his club team, Manchester City. By failing to adequately celebrate his birthday, the Premier League title winners had treated him with "disrespect."

Nevermind the fact Toure makes in the vicinity of $350,000 per week, the way City treated him was "sickening," according to his Russian advisor, Dmitry Seluk. Speaking of sickening, welcome to the grossly convoluted Confederation of African Football (CAF), a group of teams that continues to disappoint every four years.

Following the Ivory Coast's 2-1 loss to Colombia on Thursday, CAF sides -- Nigeria, Algeria, Ghana and Cameroon -- are a combined 1-5-1, including an embarrassing performance from Cameroon here in the jungle Wednesday night. A 4-0 loss to Croatia at nearby Arena Amazonia led to Cameroon manager Vulker Finke calling his side's performance a disgrace.

More disgraceful, however, are many of the players themselves.

An infectious, me-first mentality goes beyond Toure's disgusting lack of self-awareness. Its disingenuous tentacles reach across multiple federations. Cameroon's 23-man squad, for instance, refused to board a plane to Brazil just four days ahead of their World Cup opener against Mexico, a 1-0 loss.

They selflessly wanted their $100,000 bonuses before stepping on the plane -- something that in all likelihood contributed to the lack of focus that has led to them being laughed off the pitch.

Similarly, neighboring Nigeria was embroiled in an alleged match-fixing scam during an important pre-World Cup tuneup against Scotland, a game investigators red-flagged as one organized crime might have infiltrated.

Those accusations kicked up a notch when Austin Ejide appeared to throw the ball into his own goal midway through the first half that game.

This is a federation full of cry babies, selfishness and alleged cheats.

There are good elements, yes, but it's no wonder four of the five African sides at the World Cup look poised to have their tournaments end early -- proof a plethora of world-class players mean little when they're only playing for themselves.

After Toure, attention should turn to Alex Song, the experienced Cameroon midfielder who in a fit of rage punched Croatia's Mario Mandzukic in the back during Wednesday's match.

"The behaviour of some of my players is really not satisfactory … unacceptable," Finke said following an incident so egregious that nefarious thoughts began to creep into some pundits' heads.

Song's actions speak to the lack of discipline that has plagued CAF teams for decades.

Following Cameroon's quarterfinal run in 1990, prevailing thought was that an African side wasn't far from making a World Cup final. They've been a football factory since, shipping players to major leagues around the world to no avail.

Former Cameroon manager Otto Pfister understands what Finke, along with other CAF managers, might be going through. As he told Sports Illustrated, "one of the biggest problems (in Africa) is the fact most of the players are very narcissistic."

Individually, CAF boasts some of the world's top stars. But as a group, the crest doesn't matter.

It's what leads to a side like Cameroon completely capitulating post-game with on-field squabbles. After Song was selfishly sent off, it seemed the competition no longer mattered.

There were moments in Thursday's Ivory Coast loss that didn't make sense, either.

Players dribbling out the back while others elected to forgo the simplest, more appropriate passes. Then there's the Elephants' defence, which like Cameroon's Wednesday night was ripped to shreds. For that matter, Ghana's wasn't much better against the U.S. in a loss to the Yanks last week.

As for Nigeria, after its government banned the team from playing post-2010, it could only muster a listless draw against Iran in its World Cup opener.

Heck, Nigerian head coach Stephen Keshi doesn't even care to bring along his best players. Keshi admitted before the tournament that Toronto FC forward Bright Dike was on the verge of making his squad ahead of Obafemi Martins, who continues to perform out of this world for the Seattle Sounders.

Soccer in CAF is coordinated chaos -- something that is more or less reflected within the white lines.

It's moments of individual athleticism, mixed with bizarre decision-making and disorganization -- a manager's worst nightmare. Which is why the Cameroonian press insisting Finke should resign is puzzling when you consider how poorly his players have performed.

In saying that, though, one is attempting to make sense of a confederation where chaos prevails. Where players' egos trump nationalism while discipline is ignored -- even mocked.

In the media centre here Wednesday night, the Cameroon contingency -- some wearing official team gear -- seemingly joked about watching two of their players fight post-game.

The more you're around it, the more you realize CAF is a confederation that's rotten to its core.



_________________
Image
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:59 pm
Posts: 29878
Canada of all place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:19 am
Posts: 23805
kajifu wrote:
Canada of all place.


Watch out for Canada. Coming soon, my friend.

_________________
All summer '17...playing dirty not clean!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:11 am 
Offline
Suspended Member
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:54 pm
Posts: 8188
kolinzo wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Canada of all place.


Watch out for Canada. Coming soon, my friend.


Canada should have formerly withdrawn from soccer all together when they lost to St. Martinique:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/soccer ... floro.html

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

_________________
YUJAM wrote:
I've been wearing my Egypt avatar with pride

YUJAM the pharaoh
amafolas wrote:
are you sure it is People Destroying People and not Politicians Destroying People

"So long as I need to ask you once Lord Snow; are you a brother of Night's Watch or a *kindperson* boy who wants to play at war!?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:37 am
Posts: 36451
Location: From the place where hardcore is beautiful
100% truth.

_________________
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Bigpokey24 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Owiny Sigoma who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:55 am
Posts: 27916
Location: Canada
AreaDaddy wrote:
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/06/19/caf-sides-continue-to-disappoint-at-world-cup

Ohsee is this your Newspaper? Do you guys not have quality control?

Quote:
MANAUS, Brazil - Two weeks before the 2014 World Cup, Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure threatened to walk away from his club team, Manchester City. By failing to adequately celebrate his birthday, the Premier League title winners had treated him with "disrespect."

Nevermind the fact Toure makes in the vicinity of $350,000 per week, the way City treated him was "sickening," according to his Russian advisor, Dmitry Seluk. Speaking of sickening, welcome to the grossly convoluted Confederation of African Football (CAF), a group of teams that continues to disappoint every four years.

Following the Ivory Coast's 2-1 loss to Colombia on Thursday, CAF sides -- Nigeria, Algeria, Ghana and Cameroon -- are a combined 1-5-1, including an embarrassing performance from Cameroon here in the jungle Wednesday night. A 4-0 loss to Croatia at nearby Arena Amazonia led to Cameroon manager Vulker Finke calling his side's performance a disgrace.

More disgraceful, however, are many of the players themselves.

An infectious, me-first mentality goes beyond Toure's disgusting lack of self-awareness. Its disingenuous tentacles reach across multiple federations. Cameroon's 23-man squad, for instance, refused to board a plane to Brazil just four days ahead of their World Cup opener against Mexico, a 1-0 loss.

They selflessly wanted their $100,000 bonuses before stepping on the plane -- something that in all likelihood contributed to the lack of focus that has led to them being laughed off the pitch.

Similarly, neighboring Nigeria was embroiled in an alleged match-fixing scam during an important pre-World Cup tuneup against Scotland, a game investigators red-flagged as one organized crime might have infiltrated.

Those accusations kicked up a notch when Austin Ejide appeared to throw the ball into his own goal midway through the first half that game.

This is a federation full of cry babies, selfishness and alleged cheats.

There are good elements, yes, but it's no wonder four of the five African sides at the World Cup look poised to have their tournaments end early -- proof a plethora of world-class players mean little when they're only playing for themselves.

After Toure, attention should turn to Alex Song, the experienced Cameroon midfielder who in a fit of rage punched Croatia's Mario Mandzukic in the back during Wednesday's match.

"The behaviour of some of my players is really not satisfactory … unacceptable," Finke said following an incident so egregious that nefarious thoughts began to creep into some pundits' heads.

Song's actions speak to the lack of discipline that has plagued CAF teams for decades.

Following Cameroon's quarterfinal run in 1990, prevailing thought was that an African side wasn't far from making a World Cup final. They've been a football factory since, shipping players to major leagues around the world to no avail.

Former Cameroon manager Otto Pfister understands what Finke, along with other CAF managers, might be going through. As he told Sports Illustrated, "one of the biggest problems (in Africa) is the fact most of the players are very narcissistic."

Individually, CAF boasts some of the world's top stars. But as a group, the crest doesn't matter.

It's what leads to a side like Cameroon completely capitulating post-game with on-field squabbles. After Song was selfishly sent off, it seemed the competition no longer mattered.

There were moments in Thursday's Ivory Coast loss that didn't make sense, either.

Players dribbling out the back while others elected to forgo the simplest, more appropriate passes. Then there's the Elephants' defence, which like Cameroon's Wednesday night was ripped to shreds. For that matter, Ghana's wasn't much better against the U.S. in a loss to the Yanks last week.

As for Nigeria, after its government banned the team from playing post-2010, it could only muster a listless draw against Iran in its World Cup opener.

Heck, Nigerian head coach Stephen Keshi doesn't even care to bring along his best players. Keshi admitted before the tournament that Toronto FC forward Bright Dike was on the verge of making his squad ahead of Obafemi Martins, who continues to perform out of this world for the Seattle Sounders.

Soccer in CAF is coordinated chaos -- something that is more or less reflected within the white lines.

It's moments of individual athleticism, mixed with bizarre decision-making and disorganization -- a manager's worst nightmare. Which is why the Cameroonian press insisting Finke should resign is puzzling when you consider how poorly his players have performed.

In saying that, though, one is attempting to make sense of a confederation where chaos prevails. Where players' egos trump nationalism while discipline is ignored -- even mocked.

In the media centre here Wednesday night, the Cameroon contingency -- some wearing official team gear -- seemingly joked about watching two of their players fight post-game.

The more you're around it, the more you realize CAF is a confederation that's rotten to its core.



My guy, how big boy like me go dey work for newspaper, especially useless tabloid like The Sun? The Sun is read--and written--by people who who trace words with their finger on the paper and move their lips while they read. The useless paper has a long history of baiting black people.

_________________
Image
Visit my blog at http://www.soccergoat.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:44 pm
Posts: 11752
Location: Here
This is akin to calling Africa a country!

_________________
"Our semi-final victory against Nigeria (won 2-1) in the 1978 AFCON tournament in Kumasi is one of the best games I will remember for the rest of my life.
I remember very well every minute of that game where Phillip Omondi and Godfrey Kisitu scored and I was in the goal posts." -Paul Ssali


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:30 pm
Posts: 1451
While one could easily sieve out profound substance of truth from the write up, the writer loses my respect for his deliberate racist undertones and generalization/characterization of Africans. In this case, he euphemistically dresses up the entire Africa as "CAF" - armed with very desperate examples to buttress the racist point of view.
:evil: :evil: :evil:

_________________
Look who is Here Again!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 45360
...everything up there is true. If una disagree, then let's keep kidding ourselves.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:45 am 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:41 am
Posts: 36056
seloweizer wrote:
While one could easily sieve out profound substance of truth from the write up, the writer loses my respect for his deliberate racist undertones and generalization/characterization of Africans. In this case, he euphemistically dresses up the entire Africa as "CAF" - armed with very desperate examples to buttress the racist point of view.
:evil: :evil: :evil:


Pepe must be playing for a CAF team. Don't even talk about Euro champion Spain.

And not taking our better players like Martins, that must be funny.

_________________
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:31 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:55 pm
Posts: 43414
Maybe a bit too early? I suspect this WC has many more twists to ito

_________________
Quote:
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:02 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41097
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
mcal wrote:
...everything up there is true. If una disagree, then let's keep kidding ourselves.


Everything up there is true? :shock: :shock:


Wow! If so, then it says a lot about you than the writer.

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 8764
even before i read this article I was beginning to wondering the same about CAF.
Is it improving teams or just false perception particularly as more and more players
are coming from european based leagues to play in this competition. CONCACAF
looks to be producing far better tactical teams than CAF?

_________________
Image
"The only thing we have to Fear is Fear itself"
- quote from F.D.R (1933) first Inaugural address

-


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:49 pm
Posts: 38922
Location: on the move
wanaj0 wrote:

And not taking our better players like Martins, that must be funny.


Mentioning martins betrayed his ignorance especially compared against Dike and in consideration of the attributes Keshi favors from his strikers. He's assumed that (a) Martins didn't get multiple chances under Keshi and (b) martins out scoring dike in MLS summarily means he's a better striker for Keshi's set up than dike. The naïveté and ignorance are nauseating.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:53 pm 
Online

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 7:55 pm
Posts: 7386
Why celebrate ignorance? The article belongs in a trash heap :!:


Cheers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 45360
Cellular wrote:
mcal wrote:
...everything up there is true. If una disagree, then let's keep kidding ourselves.


Everything up there is true? :shock: :shock:


Wow! If so, then it says a lot about you than the writer.
...may have exaggerated but let us not kid ourselves about "bigmanism" in African football.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:14 pm
Posts: 913
mcal wrote:
Cellular wrote:
mcal wrote:
...everything up there is true. If una disagree, then let's keep kidding ourselves.


Everything up there is true? :shock: :shock:


Wow! If so, then it says a lot about you than the writer.
...may have exaggerated but let us not kid ourselves about "bigmanism" in African football.

Bigmanism exists in every sinlgle continent when it comes to football. Why wouldn't it exist in Africa?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:22 pm
Posts: 5084
Location: Dallas/Houston, TX
This "truth" is very bitter.

Too many generalizations though and an overall negative tone to the article. I agree with Yujam that it was written a little too early and I would have also preferred if he cited some local "CAF" sources as opposed to just Otto.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:45 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41097
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Ugbowo wrote:
This "truth" is very bitter.

Too many generalizations though and an overall negative tone to the article. I agree with Yujam that it was written a little too early and I would have also preferred if he cited some local "CAF" sources as opposed to just Otto.


So this is the bitter "truth"?


%&$#ing natives.

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:23 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:37 pm
Posts: 13310
Location: Sandton, SA
...and I should be concerned because?????

_________________
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:15 pm
Posts: 4741
The essay has got a lot of things right and a lot of things just plain crazy, for starters Nigeria's match again Iran didn't not cast a slur against nigerian anymore than England's tie in the Costa Rica match
Ghana loss to USA had nothing to do with any of the factors exposed. As if to say Ghana had the right to beat USA or that it is a for gone conclusion. Song's behavior is unacceptable but Suarez take...... ehem .......the biscuit

The Article is selective.....


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group