[GRP F] ARG 1 {Messi} V IRN 0 (FT)

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mate
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: [GRP F] ARG 1 {Messi} V IRN 0 (FT)

Post by mate »

After 2 games, I think this Argentina side has more questions than answers. They can't seem to win without Messi. Good as he is, I don't believe he can carry and inspire like Maradona did. At least not throughout an entire tournament.

More accurately, Messi can carry to a degree, but seemingly not inspire his teammates to play better. Argentina need better team play, because Messi alone won't be enough when the heat is really turned on. Defensively Argentina especially look vulnerable.

Things can change quickly, particularly with Messi present. But right now, Argentina don't look like a serious WC contender.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Tactically, they're inhibited. Sabella seems overburdened by a lack of belief in his back line and consequently, over compensates in the midfield and certainly the strategic arrangement of the attack. For all the incredulity shown in the foolish faith in Gutierrez, there was without doubt the glimmerings of a bright light amidst the darkened tenure of Diego's reign. Tactically, he was halfway there, but arguably equidistant from collapse,, the currents would ensure the ship steered towards the latter.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Argentina once had Zanetti, Walter Samuel, Heinze and Ayala on the same team.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

I went to the match...Argentina have homefield advantage in this tournament against every single team except Brazil. After them comes the Chileans and Uruguayans. That being said, Argentina have been crap so far and I am unconvinced they can win this tournament. Their defence is crap, the midfield lacks creativity and Higuain is a liability up front. To make things worse, Sabella appears clueless on the sidelines. Argentina was mediocre for most of the match and it was not until the 75th minute when he made 2 subs but did not alter his formation or tactics at all. He had effin Higuain playing SS behind Messi in the 2nd half which is a completely ridiculous idea.

Messi was a pedestrian for most of the match but I am unsure if it was due to tactics or just lack of effort. He was strutting around the pitch all match long and made few efforts to go towards the ball. He waited for one of his teammates to line him up outside of the box before going for goal. Luckily it worked against Iran but that wont happen against stronger teams.

Argentina has a lot of work to do. On the plus side, they likely wont face much resistance until the semis which gives them a few more matches to work things out internally. They have homefield support which should help. They have the worlds best player and capable players surrounding him.

I dont think Nigeria is good enough to beat Argentina but speed on the wings by Nigeria will atleast trouble what is a leaky Argentina backline. I expect Argentina to go with a full squad vs Nigeria as they seek to figure out what their best XI is.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Helio, the irony is, Sabella's selections were based around pace and rapidity, yet tactically and strategically the Albiceleste have been the exact opposite. Languid, lazy, lethargic. The shape is ridiculous and unless righted, will see a team packed with punch, knocked out. Cold.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:Very poor from Argentina coach, Sabella

But he did know how a Carlos Quieroz team would play?

No? :roll:

Again everybody and their grandma knew how Iran would play from a year ago!

He Sabella did some things right, but far more wrong, esp given the talent at his disposal!

Why is it so hard to concede we were poor against Iran; that Keshi was poor in that game?
We were poor against Iran... my point has always been that the opponent had a huge role in us being crap.

But Argentina inspite of better personnel and a game tape on Iran did not look any better.

Maybe you can give Iran some credit, even if reluctantly.

I started by giving credit to Iran. I even went to the extent of saying they might have beaten Nigeria if they had played this well against us.

argentina looked far better than Nigeria. They just did not play as well as u would expect, esp given their talent.

You are really special, with ur tortured logic!
I will say it for the umpteenth time. Only your inferiority complex allows you to reach that conclusion. I have watched our game against Iran at least 4 times. We weren't at our best in front of goal. The pressure to win as well as Iran's defence had a lot to do with that but Argentina didn't set up their attack any better than we did. We got where we wanted to get to but the final ball always failed us. Then there was their game against Bosnia in which Bosnia got the better of the exchanges for a good deal of the game, only to fall victim to an own goal and one momentary piece of brilliance by Lionel Messi. I said after watching that game that Argentina is more beatable than Bosnia and nothing has happened since to change my mind :!: :!: :!:

Cheers.