Ghana's only hope from Germany

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kofi86
Egg
Egg
Re: Ghana's only hope from Germany

Post by kofi86 »

Recife pitch supposedly more or less underwater :/
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
sinequanon
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Ghana's only hope from Germany

Post by sinequanon »

So it turns out that US, Germany didn't have to do much in the way of fixing. Both are through, as expected.

Re US investment in football, I came across this, in Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Soccer
The 2002 World Cup, in which the United States unexpectedly made the quarterfinals, coincided with a resurgence in American soccer and MLS.[32] MLS Cup 2002 drew 61,316 spectators to Gillette Stadium, the largest attendance in an MLS Cup final.[33][34]
This makes sense, and obviously FIFA would like to see much more of the same -- and US winning the World Cup if possible.

But there was this..
MLS had financial and operational struggles in its first few years. The league lost millions of dollars in the early years, teams played in mostly empty American football stadiums, and when two teams folded, rumors of MLS' demise started circulating.[8] Since then, MLS has expanded to 19 teams (to 21 teams in 2015), owners have built soccer-specific stadiums, average attendance exceeds that of the NBA and NHL, MLS has national TV contracts, and the league is now profitable.[8]
This I don't believe!

Unless there is something wonky with the pricing structure, or calculation of "average", I do not believe that a soccer league that is only "now profitable" is more popular than basketball and hockey.

The promotional drive is there, but way to go with the public perception and ability to invest.
There'll be time enough for counting, when the dealing's done..

https://voca.ro/1dk47QJEvGY2