Jurgen Klinsmann insists arrangement won't be made

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

African Star
Egg
Egg
Jurgen Klinsmann insists arrangement won't be made

Post by African Star »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jurgen-kli ... ZJUDMzM18x

Jurgen Klinsmann insists arrangement won't be made in vital USA-Germany clash
Martin Rogers
By Martin Rogers 6 hours ago Yahoo Sports

MANAUS, Brazil – Jurgen Klinsmann immediately dismissed suggestions of a "fixed" result between the United States and Germany that would ensure both teams reach the knockout stage of the World Cup.

After conceding a heartbreaking last-minute equalizer to tie Portugal 2-2 on Sunday, the Americans have been left in a situation where a draw against Germany in Recife in Thursday's final group game would clinch qualification.

Yet despite his former position as Germany national team coach and his close friendship with its current boss Joachim Loew, Klinsmann insisted both teams would give 100 percent and try to win the game and therefore top Group G.

"There's no such call," Klinsmann said, when asked how he would respond if Loew telephoned him to request a mutually beneficial tie. "Jogi is doing his job and I'm doing my job. I'm going to do everything to get to the round of 16. That's what I'm going to do. There's no time to have friendship calls. It's about business now."

The U.S. team was close to wrapping up a place in the last 16 and if it could have held on for a few more precious seconds it would go into the last match leading the group and certain of progressing in the tournament.

Now it knows that the following scenario applies. A win against Germany would clinch the top spot and set up a round of 16 showdown with the second-place finisher in Group H – a game that would take place in Porto Alegre on June 30.

View photo
U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard reacts to Silvestre Varela's equalizer in the 95th minute on Sunday. (AFP)

U.S. goalkeeper Tim Howard reacts to Silvestre Varela's equalizer in the 95th minute on Sunday. (AFP)

A draw would give the U.S. and Germany five points each, but the Germans would win the group due to its better goal differential and the U.S. would play the Group H winner, likely Belgium, in Salvador on July 1.

With a defeat, it gets tricky. An American loss to Germany, coupled with a Portugal-Ghana draw, would send Klinsmann's men through in the second spot. A loss to Germany mixed with a Portugal win could be good enough too, as long as the Portuguese did not overhaul the Americans' goal differential advantage (currently +1 compared to -4).

Next is the situation that is for statistics majors only. If the U.S. loses to Germany and Ghana beats Portugal, there is still a chance for the Americans to go through. But that would only happen if the U.S. lost by a single goal and Ghana won by a single goal – and the U.S. at least matched the number of goals Ghana scored in its victory.

The complexity of that situation will only add power to the conspiracy theorists who believe that a Klinsmann/Loew arrangement is inevitable – albeit completely illegal under FIFA regulations.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jurgen-kli ... ZJUDMzM18x

A German journalist even posed Klinsmann a question based around a situation that occurred in the 1982 World Cup, when West Germany and Austria played to a pre-arranged result that send both those teams to the next stage at the expense of Algeria.

[Photos: U.S. vs. Portugal match highlights]

"You are talking about a game that is decades away that is only part of German history and not the history of the United States," Klinsmann replied. "The U.S. knows only how to give everything it has in every game. We have that fighting spirit and that energy and determination to do well in every single game. Our goal is to beat Germany.

"I don't think we are made for draws really, unless it happens like tonight with two late goals in the last seconds. Both teams go into this game and want to win the group. We want to go at Germany and get three points and be in the driver's seat for the round of 16. I am sure we will see in four days a very exciting match in Recife. I think coming now is a lot of respect from our opponents."

Whatever Klinsmann says, plenty of U.S. fans will be rooting for a draw in Recife on Thursday and have their calculators handy just in case.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Jurgen Klinsmann insists arrangement won't be made

Post by Purity »

Forget it, Germany and USA will play draw. Ghana out. Too bad. Ghana deserves to be in the 2nd round
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

Jogi und Jurge hmmmm, Ghana don finish pata pata :sad: :sad:

“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
Guv007
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Guv007 »

I don't see USA beating Germany so with the head to head rule even if Ghana beats Portugal they are out.
Red Dwarf - Legion

Rimmer: Step up to Red Alert
Kryten: Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb.
Rimmer: There's always some excuse, isn't there?
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

Guv007 wrote:I don't see USA beating Germany so with the head to head rule even if Ghana beats Portugal they are out.
Doesn't goal difference come before head to head.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
ukwala
Egg
Egg

Post by ukwala »

papparassi Sport wrote:Forget it, Germany and USA will play draw. Ghana out. Too bad. Ghana deserves to be in the 2nd round
Ghana needs to beat Portugal first. Why do you think it is a foregone conclusion?
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

amafolas wrote:
Guv007 wrote:I don't see USA beating Germany so with the head to head rule even if Ghana beats Portugal they are out.
Yes goal differential comes to play first but Ghana only have themselves to blame. They should have beaten usa after dominating them and they should have beaten Germany if they had taken their chances to go 3-1 up.
Last edited by African Star on Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nianiote
Egg
Egg

Post by nianiote »

amafolas wrote:
Yep, goal difference, then goal scored, before head to head
5. The ranking of each team in each group shall be determined as follows:
a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their
rankings shall be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the
teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams
concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams
concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee
Source: http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/t ... eutral.pdf
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Africans are always carrying somebody else's headache. So what matters to them right now is Germany vs USA and not Portugal vs Ghana. Now I hope Portugal gets the job done so these fools can shut their mouths. I mean thinking Ghana will beat Portugal is just plain disrespectful. Somebody in Portugal's camp should tell them the World thinks they are the whipping boys. And I hope C-Ron wakes up and do his job this time around. Nonsense!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

kolinzo wrote:Africans are always carrying somebody else's headache. So what matters to them right now is Germany vs USA and not Portugal vs Ghana. Now I hope Portugal gets the job done so these fools can shut their mouths. I mean thinking Ghana will beat Portugal is just plain disrespectful. Somebody in Portugal's camp should tell them the World thinks they are the whipping boys. And I hope C-Ron wakes up and do his job this time around. Nonsense!
What the heck are you talking about? So people should not speculate on the possibility for Ghana to advance? And why is thinking Ghana will beat Portugal disrespectful? Ghana tied Germany, a game they should have won and Germany trashed Portugal, USA, a team tht Ghana totally dominated except for the scoreline tied Portugal, so why is it disrespectful? If you take C-Ron and Nani out what does Portugal have? Their #9, the Guinea Bissau boy, is the worst 9 I have seen for a long time and that's not surprising seeing that he comes from Guinea Bissau.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

African Star wrote:
kolinzo wrote:Africans are always carrying somebody else's headache. So what matters to them right now is Germany vs USA and not Portugal vs Ghana. Now I hope Portugal gets the job done so these fools can shut their mouths. I mean thinking Ghana will beat Portugal is just plain disrespectful. Somebody in Portugal's camp should tell them the World thinks they are the whipping boys. And I hope C-Ron wakes up and do his job this time around. Nonsense!
What the heck are you talking about? So people should not speculate on the possibility for Ghana to advance? And why is thinking Ghana will beat Portugal disrespectful? Ghana tied Germany, a game they should have won and Germany trashed Portugal, USA, a team tht Ghana totally dominated except for the scoreline tied Portugal, so why is it disrespectful? If you take C-Ron and Nani out what does Portugal have? Their #9, the Guinea Bissau boy, is the worst 9 I have seen for a long time and that's not surprising seeing that he comes from Guinea Bissau.
And if you take Gyan and Andre out what does Ghana have? What is important for Ghana is to win their match and worry less about what Germans are doing. All these ATF talks from you is not productive. You think Ghana should have won the game against the USA but the game itself shows you are wrong. Should have, could have, would have the result tells a different story. The only two times USA decided to go forward they scored two goals. SMHBT! Portugal tied a team that beat Ghana and you think Ghana will just beat them with ease? You are not helping, sir! Keep speculating.

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

***Breda = Br****
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Kolinzo u be my paddy but u deserve an asswhooping for all the opaks you have been yarning here. Where is 100%naija when you need him :curse:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

bret- hart wrote:

Kolinzo u be my paddy but u deserve an asswhooping for all the opaks you have been yarning here. Where is 100%naija when you need him :curse:
100%? What is that Port Harcourt abattoir worker from Detoilet gon do? Nna, eat your humble pie jejely. No be you yarn say USA would be 3 and done before the WC started? Comot for road.

***Breda = Br****
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

story
Portugal are the whooping boys and they play like it too :taunt:
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli