GHANA AIRLIFTS $3M CASH TO WORLD CUP TEAM

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

afriqaboy
Egg
Egg
GHANA AIRLIFTS $3M CASH TO WORLD CUP TEAM

Post by afriqaboy »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-2 ... am-1-.html

Ghana Sends Plane With $3 Million to Calm World Cup Team
By Ekow Dontoh Jun 25, 2014 9:37 AM GMT+0000

Ghana has sent a plane carrying more than $3 million in cash to Brazil to pay the World Cup appearance fees owed to the national soccer team, known as the Black Stars.

“The players insisted that they will want physical cash,” Deputy Sports Minister Joseph Yammin said in comments broadcast by Accra-based Citi FM. “Government had to mobilize the money and a chartered flight to Brazil. The money is in excess of $3 million.”

Ghana’s President John Dramani Mahama contacted the team and the arrangements for payment were made after, the Ghana Football Association said in a statement on its website. The players will be paid today and government will be reimbursed by money awarded to Ghana by FIFA, soccer’s governing body, the association said.

The team, which includes Sulley Muntari of AC Milan and Kevin-Prince Boateng of FC Schalke, has played two matches so far in the tournament, losing 2-1 to the U.S. and drawing 2-2 with Germany. They play their final first round match against Portugal tomorrow and need to win to have any chance of progressing. The Black Stars were eliminated in the quarterfinals by Uruguay in 2010’s tournament in South Africa.

“President Mahama waded into the matter after agitation from the Black Stars players,” the association said. “President Mahama personally spoke to the players to assure them the money will be paid by Wednesday afternoon.”

Fixing Investigation

The Ghanaian team has been dealing with issues off the field all week, as the football association asked police to investigate claims reported by the London-based Daily Telegraph that the association’s president had agreed to fix future international exhibition matches. The GFA has denied the report and says that the two men mentioned in the story never made offers to bribe them or association President Kwesi Nyantakyi.

Back at home, Mahama has taken steps to ensure that the broadcast of Black Stars games isn’t disrupted by regular blackouts. The government has asked its aluminum smelter to cut power usage during the World Cup and will buy additional electricity from neighbor Ivory Coast to ensure that Black Stars games can be shown live.

Daily electricity blackouts, fuel shortages and a plunging currency are slowing economic growth in West Africa’s second-largest economy, the International Monetary Fund said last month. Ghana is struggling is struggling to boost revenue to narrow its budget gap, which will probably exceed 10 percent of gross domestic product for a third year, according to Moody’s Investors Service and Fitch Ratings.

Moody’s and Fitch both have Ghana on negative credit watch, meaning a cut in the rating is possible. Nigeria is the largest economy in the region.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: GHANA AIRLIFTS $3M CASH TO WORLD CUP TEAM

Post by Scipio Africanus »

They better beat Portugal well well after this :-x

Wha choo looking at?!
afriqaboy
Egg
Egg

Post by afriqaboy »

They will be soundly defeated by Portugal. They are more concerned about money than the game.
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

In this age of instant/half a day transfers they are going for this??? Hope it's a joke.

Whilst I know some football federations may not be trusted, these guys need to keep their focus and fight later. I know some of the less well paid of team members need the cash but surely for the 1st 11/playing members of the team, having a super World Cup and getting new clubs/better contracts outweighs this in my opinion.

They should focus against Portugal though otherwise this will be blamed for their failure like Cameroon.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

It is better to have your cash than to wait for an alert from a dubious FA and it is also insurance in the case that Portugal deals with them.
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

nemi2002 wrote:It is better to have your cash than to wait for an alert from a dubious FA and it is also insurance in the case that Portugal deals with them.

Lol c'mon what happened to their individual accounts unless they are still keeping cash in mattresses.
Riversboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Riversboy »

uglyoneiamagain wrote:In this age of instant/half a day transfers they are going for this??? Hope it's a joke.

Whilst I know some football federations may not be trusted, these guys need to keep their focus and fight later. I know some of the less well paid of team members need the cash but surely for the 1st 11/playing members of the team, having a super World Cup and getting new clubs/better contracts outweighs this in my opinion.

They should focus against Portugal though otherwise this will be blamed for their failure like Cameroon.
If they wait till after the tournament, lime you say, will you assist them to pressure the GFa to pay?

As I speak to you, two Naija state governments are owing me sizeable amounts of money, years overdue. You have to pressure them when you have them by the short and curlies, otherwise they will never give you your due.

Yes, having players threaten boycott is not optimal for performance. Hwever the underlying root causes are:

-the untrustworthiness of the FAs
-the inability of the system/public as a whole to apply pressure on the FAs.

The players are on their own. I wonder what any of us would do in this position.
RB.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote: is this what we celebrate these days, nutmeg?
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Riversboy wrote:
uglyoneiamagain wrote:In this age of instant/half a day transfers they are going for this??? Hope it's a joke.

If they wait till after the tournament, lime you say, will you assist them to pressure the GFa to pay?

As I speak to you, two Naija state governments are owing me sizeable amounts of money, years overdue. You have to pressure them when you have them by the short and curlies, otherwise they will never give you your due.

Yes, having players threaten boycott is not optimal for performance. Hwever the underlying root causes are:

-the untrustworthiness of the FAs
-the inability of the system/public as a whole to apply pressure on the FAs.

The players are on their own. I wonder what any of us would do in this position.
RB.
Don't get me wrong as I was first to admit the FAs can't be trusted and we are largely saying the same thing.

My issue is it will be a distraction no matter what moral justifications we think for such actions.

Secondly, the mode of transfer seems archaic. Surely the time spent in getting the money together and then getting it on a plane from Ghana to Brazil is more than sufficient time to have transferred that cash into their individual accounts unless they think their FA would infiltrate all banks involved in this process. There are safety issues to be considered also now that most media outlets are reporting this size-able sum being carried around.

In your scenario, you don't have a choice and are doing the right thing by going for your money. On the part of the players, yes they are fighting for their rights but it gets complicated as they are playing for their Country and fans so their decision to fight for their right and it's ramifications, if negative, does not end at their door. It's their money, it's just that they may potentially be losing something greater than that monetary value by the methods they use.

We see this happening a lot with quite a few African federations/businesses/governments (various forms of corruption exist in the west also for sure just not as obvious/blatant). This is not the best form of approach from both sides as it clearly doesn't work and stunts growth (Players get their money but psychological effects on the team could be negative). In all, it all comes back to corruption and malpractices that do not benefit the whole system but individuals.
Last edited by uglyoneiamagain on Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goalgetter
Egg
Egg

Post by Goalgetter »

Not a good sign. Another piece of carrot for the parrots on espn. Ghanaians better
Not watch their next game on ESPn. Btwn I've
Always maintained that after the USA loss, their fate is sealed and delivered - 1st round exit. They even made it worse by tying a winnable game against Germany. Africans!
Are you saying that things you do not know, do not exist, just because you do not know that they exist?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

uglyoneiamagain wrote:
nemi2002 wrote:It is better to have your cash than to wait for an alert from a dubious FA and it is also insurance in the case that Portugal deals with them.

Lol c'mon what happened to their individual accounts unless they are still keeping cash in mattresses.
I don't know about you but that is the safe option these days, safer than banks, that's for sure. :woot:

Wha choo looking at?!
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Scipio Africanus wrote:
uglyoneiamagain wrote:

I don't know about you but that is the safe option these days, safer than banks, that's for sure. :woot:
abeg what's your address? :taunt:
Avayi
Egg
Egg

Post by Avayi »

uglyoneiamagain wrote:

I don't think you get it! The players are asking for physical cash because they can't trust thr authourities to put the money into their accounts!
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Avayi wrote:
uglyoneiamagain wrote:

I don't think you get it! The players are asking for physical cash because they can't trust thr authourities to put the money into their accounts!
Oh I get it alright. Severe distrust but the publicity angle is not necessary.

Unless we are saying the banks are Ghanian government owned and all players accounts are held in such banks, I would understand the fear. If not, it would have been faster to pay directly into individual accounts.

They've given the federation a timeline to pay and all you have to do is see if your account has been credited by the deadline, if not, back to your boycott. They could promise cash also and not deliver.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

afriqaboy wrote:They will be soundly defeated by Portugal. They are more concerned about money than the game.
...is fifa not concern more about money than the game and it's administration to her AFrican associations?
You promise someone money you make payment asap.
If these players had gone on and play Portugal and lose, they damn sure know they not gonna be paid.
Especially those that reside abroad won't want to fly back to Accra to fight GFA thieves (seems they have same like Nigeria) on their turf.
This is just sickness to Africa, the whole story is now on the news, CNN and co.
This is worse than Cameroon embarrassing Africa.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

uglyoneiamagain wrote:
Avayi wrote:
uglyoneiamagain wrote:

Unless we are saying the banks are Ghanian government owned and all players accounts are held in such banks, I would understand the fear. If not, it would have been faster to pay directly into individual accounts.

They've given the federation a timeline to pay and all you have to do is see if your account has been credited by the deadline, if not, back to your boycott. They could promise cash also and not deliver.
...they are in Brazil and their bank (if any) is Ghana. Look at the time zones and differences, and how in the world you gonna trust those banks?
If they say we will pay you before midnight, then you gonna stay up keep checking your bank account.
This is insane, stupid and twisted fraud.
uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

mcal wrote:
uglyoneiamagain wrote:
Avayi wrote:
uglyoneiamagain wrote:

...they are in Brazil and their bank (if any) is Ghana. Look at the time zones and differences, and how in the world you gonna trust those banks?
If they say we will pay you before midnight, then you gonna stay up keep checking your bank account.
This is insane, stupid and twisted fraud.
Haba bros, half of them play outside the country :D I doubt their weekly wages would be going back to Ghana or paid in cash but hey, to each his own.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

FIFA should take over african countries playing at the world cup bonuses
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

The story sounds like fabu to me

Surely the Brazilian government would object to a plane coming in with so much cash and imagine the security headaches it would cause. I suspect there was some arguments about payment but a plane literally loaded with cash fly to Brazil sounds suspect. Plus if they really wanted to pay cash I am sure they could arrange with a Brazilian bank to sort it out.
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
Omo Eniyan
Egg
Egg

Post by Omo Eniyan »

AreaDaddy wrote:The story sounds like fabu to me

Surely the Brazilian government would object to a plane coming in with so much cash and imagine the security headaches it would cause. I suspect there was some arguments about payment but a plane literally loaded with cash fly to Brazil sounds suspect. Plus if they really wanted to pay cash I am sure they could arrange with a Brazilian bank to sort it out.
Abi o. This is 2014, not 1914.
"If you even dream of beating me, you better wake up and apologize." - Mohammed Ali
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

I beg anybody know where I fit find this plane....I am an aviation inspector - I and my area-boys need to inspect the plane... :D
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Is that legal though? Could it not be considered money laundering?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

AreaDaddy wrote:The story sounds like fabu to me

It is true, it was shown on Globo TV last night as the money was being moved from the airport with security escorts.

See John Boye kissing his dallars....
http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/c ... silia.html
Last edited by nemi2002 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

Maybe it's the Portuguese players demanding cash upfront 8-)
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach