Cybereagles
http://forum.cybereagles.com/

Who do you have in the semis?
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=250870
Page 2 of 2

Author:  Heliopolis [ Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

No surprises with the semi-finalists. For all the upsets in the group stage, things aligned almost perfectly for the remaining teams. The semis are completely unpredictable however.

Author:  mate [ Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

mate wrote:
I'm thinking Holland v Argentina and Brazil v Germany at this point. I have France as a dark horse semifinalist.

In the final, I'd love to see Argentina vs Brazil. I'm thinking Argentina for sure, but believe it or not, I think Brazil can be beaten before then, although it's still not likely.

It seems that Mess has an opportunity to be Maradona...and join Diego and Pele in debates as to whom was the greatest ever. Or maybe that's me wishfully thinking for this kind of football drama?

:)

I'm biased towards extraordinary players.

Cheers, Mate



:biggrin:

Cheers, Mate

Author:  sinequanon [ Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

A Germany vs Netherlands final would be the DIRTIEST game in the history of the cup. There would be carnage.

Author:  Heliopolis [ Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:13 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

sinequanon wrote:
A Germany vs Netherlands final would be the DIRTIEST game in the history of the cup. There would be carnage.


Brazil vs Argentina would be the dirtiest and would be a boring match. Brazil under Scolari are a bunch of thugs, and the Argentines will not accept thuggery from their hated rivals lying down.

Author:  mate [ Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

Heliopolis wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
A Germany vs Netherlands final would be the DIRTIEST game in the history of the cup. There would be carnage.


Brazil vs Argentina would be the dirtiest and would be a boring match. Brazil under Scolari are a bunch of thugs, and the Argentines will not accept thuggery from their hated rivals lying down.


This has the greatest potential to devolve into the most vicious derby of them all. It would all depend on the referee.

If FIFA is smart, they have to get Howard Webb for a clash between the South American giants.

The current German team is not as physically aggressive as they once were. Ozil, Goetze, and Mueller are rumored to get manicures and pedicures.

The Dutch? They're toning it down from 2006 and 2010. But you can tell they're itching to dish out some steel. That Krul guy in particular was pushing his luck. Do that against Argentina and he might have gotten a slap!

:)


Cheers, Mate

Author:  sinequanon [ Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

mate wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
sinequanon wrote:
A Germany vs Netherlands final would be the DIRTIEST game in the history of the cup. There would be carnage.


Brazil vs Argentina would be the dirtiest and would be a boring match. Brazil under Scolari are a bunch of thugs, and the Argentines will not accept thuggery from their hated rivals lying down.


This has the greatest potential to devolve into the most vicious derby of them all. It would all depend on the referee.

If FIFA is smart, they have to get Howard Webb for a clash between the South American giants.

The current German team is not as physically aggressive as they once were. Ozil, Goetze, and Mueller are rumored to get manicures and pedicures.

The Dutch? They're toning it down from 2006 and 2010. But you can tell they're itching to dish out some steel. That Krul guy in particular was pushing his luck. Do that against Argentina and he might have gotten a slap!

:)


Cheers, Mate


It's not so much about how dirty they normally play.

Between the Germans and the Dutch, it is personal.

Brazilians and Argentinians can watch a match in the same room.

The Germans and Dutch? Well, that would be unwise.

Author:  mate [ Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:37 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

sinequanon wrote:

Brazilians and Argentinians can watch a match in the same room.




The Dutch and Germans have some obvious history, football and otherwise...although I'd say the latter has cooled down over the years.

But the Argentinian and Brazilian football rivalry is something else. Both sets of fans derive significant identity from this sport, particularly against one another. This is Messi trying to equal Maradona and surpass Pele, as Argentinians see it. This is, in the Brazilian perspective, Argentina trying to take what's rightfully theirs, pushing yet another imposter to wrongfully supplant King Pele.

That's the match where I could see fans having a serious go at one another.

Cheers, Mate

Author:  sinequanon [ Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

mate wrote:
sinequanon wrote:

Brazilians and Argentinians can watch a match in the same room.




The Dutch and Germans have some obvious history, football and otherwise...although I'd say the latter has cooled down over the years.

But the Argentinian and Brazilian football rivalry is something else. Both sets of fans derive significant identity from this sport, particularly against one another. This is Messi trying to equal Maradona and surpass Pele, as Argentinians see it. This is, in the Brazilian perspective, Argentina trying to take what's rightfully theirs, pushing yet another imposter to wrongfully supplant King Pele.

That's the match where I could see fans having a serious go at one another.

Cheers, Mate


I just see the German and Dutch players trying to break one another's legs, while at least the Brazilians and Argentinians would try to outplay each other -- it would be about football.

For the Germans and Dutch, it would be about football, but not really, and the losers would get it rubbed in their face for a generation.

If they do make it to the final, the prospect of winning or losing the world cup would be a good thermometer for how much "cooling off" has really happened between them.

Author:  K [ Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

K wrote:
Lager-back wrote:
Brazil, Nigeria, Holland and Arg


Yeap!! :thumbs:


Na that Geiger crap of referee spoil show for me. So 3 in 4 correct.

Author:  ohsee [ Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:17 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Who do you have in the semis?

K wrote:
K wrote:
Lager-back wrote:
Brazil, Nigeria, Holland and Arg


Yeap!! :thumbs:


Na that Geiger crap of referee spoil show for me. So 3 in 4 correct.

Did you really, really believe that Nigeria, who got to the round of 16 backside first, would actually make it to the semis? Tut, tut, tut, my bros, wishful thinking no good o...

Page 2 of 2 All times are UTC + 1 hour
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/