Does Asia deserve to lose a spot?

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ElHadary
Suspended Member
Does Asia deserve to lose a spot?

Post by ElHadary »

Not only did no Asian teams advance, every single Asian team in the tournament finished at the bottom of their group. Does the seeding need to be re-done?
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg
Re: Does Asia deserve to lose a spot?

Post by Heliopolis »

Yes but the entire system needs an overhaul. I'd like to see more intercontinental playoff matches to determine WC spots.
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

The issue with that is when you get stupid matches that shouldn't ever happen. NZ vs Mexico was so retarded.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

No, they need to improve so taking their spots is counterproductive to their development, besides I see it as them having a bad day at the office...the previous WCs they havent fared too badly...they will bounce back..so they keep their spots...they should play off against Oceania and Concacaf keeps its 4 spots
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

ElHadary wrote:Not only did no Asian teams advance, every single Asian team in the tournament finished at the bottom of their group. Does the seeding need to be re-done?
Europe should lose three spots.
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

Next WC should determine that. They had a bad WC outing this time. They can do it like they did CONCACAF and have them play playoffs with CAF and CONCACAF.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

akamoke wrote:No, they need to improve so taking their spots is counterproductive to their development, besides I see it as them having a bad day at the office...the previous WCs they havent fared too badly...they will bounce back..so they keep their spots...they should play off against Oceania and Concacaf keeps its 4 spots

KPOM!

There is a threshold to which representation should be geographic, exactly to provide development opportunities. The WC is impossible to simulate. Europe and South America have reaped the benefits for decades.

I still say take 2 spots from Europe and give 1 each to Asia and Africa. As the latter improve, they can lobby for more proportional representation.

Anyway, I don't agree at all that Asia should be slammed now. I've always defended Africa and will defend Asia on this basis.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Every single team in Asian finished last. It was a complete and total abysmal performance from every single Asian side to even suggest they should be given a spot is audacious.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

ElHadary wrote:Every single team in Asian finished last. It was a complete and total abysmal performance from every single Asian side to even suggest they should be given a spot is audacious.

It was abysmal. But like I said, you have to make some provision for development. Asia is huge and could use the extra spot, as nations like China would advance their football with WC experience.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
AreaDaddy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by AreaDaddy »

Heliopolis wrote:Yes but the entire system needs an overhaul. I'd like to see more intercontinental playoff matches to determine WC spots.
Same here maybe something like three spots per Confederation (apart from Oceania) plus the Holders and hosts and the spots up for grabs through a playoff
---
"Nobody seems to want to live in a democracy anymore. All they want is to live in a dictatorship that supports their point of view."
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Europe should lose 4 spots. CONCACAF should gain 2 and Africa should gain 2.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

Europe should lose a spot or 2.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

I love the intercontinental playoff idea.
Half the qualifiers are top from their region, the rest go into a hat and play across continents.
That way, Iran would have gone through, but perhaps SK would have had to play Burkina Faso...
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

I don't support confederations losing spots, that would start a trend and open a can of worms that might come back to bite us. Plus who should these spots go to? Every confederation has at least one or two teams that performed very badly and did not justify any more spots. CONCACAF is having a brilliant tournament due to the development of the MLS and CONCACAF training and development programs but when you go past 4 spots their level drops of significantly because of the low population of mst of their members basically small island nations. Based on this world cup CAF does not deserve any more spots, Europe was a big disgrace at this WC and South America already has 50% of it's nations going to the WC so who gets the additional spot?
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
superwinger
Egg
Egg

Post by superwinger »

Oceania should merge with Asia and all 5 federations have 4 automatic spots plus the hosts & defending Champions qualify automatically. Then the next best 10 teams of each federation are divided into 10 groups of 5 to determine the remaining teams to qualify. The games should be played in a neutral venue so we don't have to bother about home & away leg. More entertainment, more revenue & more fair...

Very straight forward.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

It's time for UEFA to lose a WC spot or three. Ofcourse they send a handful of heavyweights to each WC, plus a few solid 2nd tier teams but then you have teams no better than the African and Asian participants.

South America has been stellar the last 3 WCs seeing 13/15 of its participants advance to the 2nd round. South America deserves 6 qualifying spots.

I dont think you can justify giving Africa or Asia another automatic spot but neither can you justify giving UEFA nearly half the spots in the tournament. I would put an additional 2 UEFA spots up for grabs in playoff matches:

UEFA - 11
CONMEBOL - 6
CAF - 5
AFC - 4
CONCACAF - 3
Oceania vs whoever - 1
CONCACAF vs whoever - 1
Hosts - 1

Unfortunately with the WC being in Russia, and with FIFA controlled by Europeans, I do not foresee a reduction in UEFA's allocation for the upcoming WC.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Cristao II wrote:Europe should lose a spot or 2.
Only 2?They should drop 4 spot.13 team out of 32 from Europe is crazy stupid.
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

Heliopolis wrote:It's time for UEFA to lose a WC spot or three. Ofcourse they send a handful of heavyweights to each WC, plus a few solid 2nd tier teams but then you have teams no better than the African and Asian participants.

South America has been stellar the last 3 WCs seeing 13/15 of its participants advance to the 2nd round. South America deserves 6 qualifying spots.

I dont think you can justify giving Africa or Asia another automatic spot but neither can you justify giving UEFA nearly half the spots in the tournament. I would put an additional 2 UEFA spots up for grabs in playoff matches:

UEFA - 11
CONMEBOL - 6
CAF - 5
AFC - 4
CONCACAF - 3
Oceania vs whoever - 1
CONCACAF vs whoever - 1
Hosts - 1

Unfortunately with the WC being in Russia, and with FIFA controlled by Europeans, I do not foresee a reduction in UEFA's allocation for the upcoming WC.
I have some problems with your analysis.

1. CONMEBOL only has 10 countries and already have 50% of their teams going.
2, The bulk of the money in football comes from Europe don't mess with their spots or the bonus wahala in Africa will get worse :D
3. CONCACAF is made up of many small islands giving them more spots is only guaranteeing that Mexico and USA will always qualify even though they bring good money to FIFA too.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Nothing's gonna change until they make the world cup 36 teams.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

balo wrote:Europe should lose 4 spots. CONCACAF should gain 2 and Africa should gain 2.

So u want even more CONCACRAP teams to play at the World cup?
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Everything is fine the way it is.

The only people with a genuine gripe would be Australia and New Zealand who have to travel long distances for some of their play off games
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Gudo wrote:Everything is fine the way it is.

The only people with a genuine gripe would be Australia and New Zealand who have to travel long distances for some of their play off games
Australia is in Asia qualifying group