Mexico 1 vs Holland 2.....coach's naiveness 'kills' Mexico

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mexico 1 vs Holland 0........Mexico might upset the Oran

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

joplass wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
joplass wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
green4life wrote:Pk. I knew it. Robben. Took a dive a usual. Wharrever

not sure why many folks did not see it was a clear dive
Holland was robbed of a clear pk in the first half....right?

Are you advocating rewarding a dive with a PK to make up for an alleged non-call?
No but for a fair game.

Stopping at "No" leaves your reputation intact...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Robben is a cross between a ballerina and an olympic driver
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
charlie wrote:BTW another look at the Robbe penalty shows it was a blatant dive!!!
Another look? It was immediately obvious to everyone, including the ref that it was a dive.
Within the rules of the game, CLEAR PK ANYDAY OF THE WEEK!

You cannot account for player stupidity...even from an experienced player...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Herrara made a fatal error by subbing out Dos Santos...in the 60th minute!?!?!?!

Coaches often forget that attacking players also hold defensive functions. Dos Santos was tiring out the Dutch defence and was spreading them out. He was also one of the few Mexicans capable of holding up the ball and giving the Mexican defenders time to rest. Subbing him off today reminded me of Argentina's decision to sub off Riquelme vs Germany in the 2006 WC QFs.

The PK against Mexico was bogus but bad things happen when you invite pressure. Mexico stopped playing football in the 60th minute allowing Holland over 30 minutes to get back in the match.

I really think Mexico would have given itself a serious chance to close out the match had they stuck with the same approach they used for the first 50 minutes of the match. The Dutch were frustrated while Mexico was controlling the tempo. Mexico let control of the steering wheel and Holland seized the moment.

Even if the PK wasnt awarded, only one team seemed capable of scoring. I think Holland would've scored again in extra time.

Marquez was a major liability all day. He needs to hang up his national team boots.

Congrats to Holland...they will end up in the semis and I like their chances against anyone in the Argentina/Swiss/Belg/USA bracket.
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Watching the game again, the first goal of the Dutch was a real cracker from Sneidjer, football at its best. Ochoa did not even have the time to react.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

mmeny wrote:
mate wrote:What can one say? That was a BS penalty. You don't give such a call so late in the game.

You can argue about that legitimate penalty not being given for the Dutch at the end of the 1st half. Still, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

At the end of the day, you have to call it like it is. The referee materially impacted this game. Like I said, Mexico deserved to play for a win...as opposed to lose in the dying minutes on a bad penalty call.

Again, I respect the Dutch. They're overall the better team. But today Mexico was at least as good, if not better. All I'm saying is that the teams should be allowed to play for the win...as opposed to being gifted it.

Cheers, Mate
Going by what you just said.. If Holland are awarded the penalty they still win the game 2-1 with Sneijder late strike. Seems like you disappointed because you didn't get the outcome you wanted.

No, I started out rooting for the Dutch. But Mexico won me over with their bravery, fitness, pride, and skill in the face of on paper superior opposition. And for Mexican football IQ, until Hererra stupidly conceded the initiative.

Look, most of all, I root for football. I favor the US, Croatia, and Nigeria, but yield when another team is better. I want teams to win playing nice football. Or even when they win ugly, at least let it be decided on the pitch.

It wasn't today. It simply wasn't.

I'm not saying Mexico should have won. I'm only saying that the ref killed the game at the end.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

soothsayer wrote:
txj wrote:Ultimately, this was a game won and lost from the bench; sounds like a cliché, but true nonetheless...

Miguel Herrera went to the mattress too quickly. One goal up all the advantages were on his side, weather, energy levels, the crowd, and the superiority of the Mexican game thus far.

Why give it up? Why pull back so far?

And its not simply the substitution of Dos Santos, its the shifting of the line further back and the near elimination of the counterattacking threat...
So in short .. fear got the better of them!!
Too many managers in the modern game playing the percentages!

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Robben is disgusting. Rewatching the replays on his dive. JJ says Mexico was robbed and I agree.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

joplass wrote:Watching the game again, the first goal of the Dutch was a real cracker from Sneidjer, football at its best. Ochoa did not even have the time to react.

you are watching the game again and already got to the Sneijder goal? :scared: :scared: :scared:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Harsh. For me the Mexicans played nicer football this tourney than Holland. What can be said or done tho? It's a cruel game!
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
mmeny wrote:
mate wrote:What can one say? That was a BS penalty. You don't give such a call so late in the game.

You can argue about that legitimate penalty not being given for the Dutch at the end of the 1st half. Still, 2 wrongs don't make a right.

At the end of the day, you have to call it like it is. The referee materially impacted this game. Like I said, Mexico deserved to play for a win...as opposed to lose in the dying minutes on a bad penalty call.

Again, I respect the Dutch. They're overall the better team. But today Mexico was at least as good, if not better. All I'm saying is that the teams should be allowed to play for the win...as opposed to being gifted it.

Cheers, Mate
Going by what you just said.. If Holland are awarded the penalty they still win the game 2-1 with Sneijder late strike. Seems like you disappointed because you didn't get the outcome you wanted.
Football is not mathematics :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: perhaps at 1-1, the dnamics of the game would have been different, and that particular chance would probably not have fallen to Sneijder, who might have been subbed?
My point is simple.. let's not act like Holland where not legitimately denied a chance to take a lead in this game in the first half. Like you said, football is not mathematics, Holland would have gone into the half with a lead and might have sat back expecting Mexico to open up so they can hit them on the counter win the game by 2 or more goals or would have lost it as well we do not know but lets not make it look like Holland where not also NOT DENIED a goal scoring opportunity.

So all this Mexico was robbed blah blah or it was a dive is incorrect... he embellished it for sure but Marquez CLIPPED ROBBEN
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

txj wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
charlie wrote:BTW another look at the Robbe penalty shows it was a blatant dive!!!
Another look? It was immediately obvious to everyone, including the ref that it was a dive.
Within the rules of the game, CLEAR PK ANYDAY OF THE WEEK!

You cannot account for player stupidity...even from an experienced player...

Yes Sir!
AFCON 2019 sweet o

soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

Robben does have a second career as a stunt man.....
he overdramatise his dive, even the legitimate penalty calls he makes look like dive!!
Last edited by soothsayer on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soma
Egg
Egg

Post by soma »

Can the thread starter please update the score...

3. Thomas Sankara
4. Patrice Lumumba
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Murmar "the Lion" Ghaddafi....
mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

green4life wrote:Robben is disgusting. Rewatching the replays on his dive. JJ says Mexico was robbed and I agree.
Really? If Holland had gone out because of non PK call in the first half.. would you also agree they were robbed. How were Mexico robbed? The game was tied 1-1 it was headed to extra time. I am sorry I still see Holland beating them in the extra time especially when the Mexican Coach has subbed off the team's driving force in Dos Santos.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Actually Orange are one of my favorite teams. But to close eye on that dive, I no fit... It is what it is, a dive.
Kpom.............My team too
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
joplass wrote:Watching the game again, the first goal of the Dutch was a real cracker from Sneidjer, football at its best. Ochoa did not even have the time to react.

you are watching the game again and already got to the Sneijder goal? :scared: :scared: :scared:
lol fast forwarding.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

green4life wrote:Robben is disgusting. Rewatching the replays on his dive. JJ says Mexico was robbed and I agree.

The onus is not on Robben to avoid contact or not to take advantage of it, ONCE THE DEFENDER ENGAGES THROUGH A TACKLE.

I'm not disgusted at Robben; I am disgusted at the stupidity of a player of Marquez's experience!
Last edited by txj on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

mmeny wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
mmeny wrote:

Cheers, Mate
Football is not mathematics :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: perhaps at 1-1, the dnamics of the game would have been different, and that particular chance would probably not have fallen to Sneijder, who might have been subbed?
My point is simple.. let's not act like Holland where not legitimately denied a chance to take a lead in this game in the first half. Like you said, football is not mathematics, Holland would have gone into the half with a lead and might have sat back expecting Mexico to open up so they can hit them on the counter win the game by 2 or more goals or would have lost it as well we do not know but lets not make it look like Holland where not also NOT DENIED a goal scoring opportunity.

So all this Mexico was robbed blah blah or it was a dive is incorrect... he embellished it for sure but Marquez CLIPPED ROBBEN
the part in red is what we should be debating, rather than muddying the waters with what could have been. What may have happened is pure speculation, and an exercise in futility.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

femibyte
Egg
Egg

Post by femibyte »

Blatant dive. El Tri were #RobbedByRobben
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

joplass wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

lol fast forwarding.

OK...cos you scared me for a minute there. i thought I may have watched a different game :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mmeny »

mate wrote:
mmeny wrote:

Cheers, Mate

No, I started out rooting for the Dutch. But Mexico won me over with their bravery, fitness, pride, and skill in the face of on paper superior opposition. And for Mexican football IQ, until Hererra stupidly conceded the initiative.

Look, most of all, I root for football. I favor the US, Croatia, and Nigeria, but yield when another team is better. I want teams to win playing nice football. Or even when they win ugly, at least let it be decided on the pitch.

It wasn't today. It simply wasn't.

I'm not saying Mexico should have won. I'm only saying that the ref killed the game at the end.

Cheers, Mate
The ref denied Holland a clear cut penalty in the first half.. Robben was clipped and he embellished it. Sorry, people I don't see how Mexico got robbed. Bosnia has a better case of been robbed against Nigeria when they scored a legitimate goal but Mexico? Nah I am sorry if anything Holland would have been hard done if they didn't get an equalizer in this game....they were on their way out.

Football is a cruel game but you still got to see out the game the Mexicans didn't do this time tough luck. The Dutch are deserved winners.
asabe
Egg
Egg

Post by asabe »

I watched this game with no pressure, since both teams played good football and anyone of them could advance.

In the game of football at the highest level you create your own luck, and also need some luck. Van Gaal is one of the great tactical coaches and the adjustments he made at half time enabled the Dutch to start dominating. Mexico found the lanes blocked and the freedom they had in the 1st half was curtailed.

As for the penalty Marquez made a mistake, he should not given the ref a reason to make a decision. Robben was fouled, and sold it well.
“love the life you live. live the life you love.” Bob Marley