Who decides the regulation time PK taker?

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

theDunamis
Egg
Egg
Who decides the regulation time PK taker?

Post by theDunamis »

Just wondering how Huntelaar who came in as a sub became the chosen PK taker for such a critical PK in the MEX-NED game.

1) Is this something a coach would have predetermined before the game and have a pecking order depending on which players are on the field at the time?

2) Something the coach decides and quickly communicates at the instant a PK call is made?

3) A decision left to the players on the field to figure out and the most confident player at the time steps up to the plate?

I am sure all 3 have happened at one time or the other depending on the team but I am wondering what the typical case is - if there is one. Someone like Oloye can probably speak from experience here.
theDunamis is signed, sealed, DELIVERED!
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Who decides the regulation time PK taker?

Post by goke313 »

he said in the post game interview....Robben asked him if wants to take it
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

goke313 wrote:he said in the post game interview....Robben asked him if wants to take it
Interesting!!! I am very surprised that this is a real-time decision left to the players on the field.
goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by goke313 »

theDunamis wrote:
goke313 wrote:he said in the post game interview....Robben asked him if wants to take it
Interesting!!! I am very surprised that this is a real-time decision left to the players on the field.
Huntelaar has missed 4 of his last 5 PK attempts
theDunamis
Egg
Egg

Post by theDunamis »

goke313 wrote:
theDunamis wrote:
Huntelaar has missed 4 of his last 5 PK attempts
For real?? That makes it even more laughable that he was the one charged with taking such a critical PK. I am quite surprised this is a decision a coach like Van Gaal left to the players.
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Robben has probably miss more in the last year. I wanted anybody but Robben to take that pk.
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

I guess this is a prime example of "the end justifies the means"

Huntelaar looked confident
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

theDunamis wrote:Just wondering how Huntelaar who came in as a sub became the chosen PK taker for such a critical PK in the MEX-NED game.

1) Is this something a coach would have predetermined before the game and have a pecking order depending on which players are on the field at the time?

2) Something the coach decides and quickly communicates at the instant a PK call is made?

3) A decision left to the players on the field to figure out and the most confident player at the time steps up to the plate?

I am sure all 3 have happened at one time or the other depending on the team but I am wondering what the typical case is - if there is one. Someone like Oloye can probably speak from experience here.
A lot happens on the issue of taking penalties

1. There are always designated penalty takers

2. There's always a pecking order too

3. Player have been known to decline taking pens cos of the tension

4. Coaches can appoint penalty takers

5. Players are also known to decide within themselves on the spur of the moment

6. Players chasing hat tricks and/or golden boot are also given priority but not like in the case of Holland/Mexico.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe