FT: Argentina (1) v Switzerland (0) ET. 119' Di Maria

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FT: Argentina (1) v Switzerland (0) ET. 119' Di Maria

Post by platinum »

kalani JR wrote:

platinum this Argentina team is hardly special even in terms of individuals they aren't on the level of Colombia or Belgium talk less of the real favorites. Can you even compared them to the squads they had that were actually good such as the 2006 and 2002 versions?

kalani,

They look worse than they are and it's easy to say their individuals suck now but lets look at their starting players today.

Sergio Romero
Pablo Zabaleta - one of the best RB's today
Ezequiel Garay - Utd wanted him before he just moved to Zenit, above average.
Marcos Rojo - Good LB
Lionel Messi - Worlds best
Angel Di Maria - One of the best at his position
Fernando Gago - Real Madrid turned him to crap but he's been resurgent in Argentina
Javier Mascherano - Excellent player
Gonzalo Higuain - Easy to knock him but remember he was one of top scorers
Lavezzi - Underachieved all season but is he garbage?

Basically, give this squad to any half competent coach and they'll be looking like shining stars. Another thing to remember, they've played largely against teams who've parked the bus and who've set out to choke them PLUS the Higuain who everyone is dogging had quite a season at Napoli, some act like he's the worst forward in the world. He'd start for most sides in this 1/4 including Germany, Brazil and even the Colombians.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
bature
Egg
Egg

Post by bature »

wetin consign me with USA. I dey come out, leave TV to Madam - she don happy :???:
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

The only surprise team that I see possibly upending a traditional power is Colombia. But the traditional powers do keep finding ways to win. It is an open WC between them.

Well, after what we just saw, maybe Holland is the best team? I am anticipating them meeting Argentina in the semifinal, but who knows now? Can Costa Rica beat Holland? Can the winner of Belgium/USA beat Argentina?

As you all noted, there is no clear favorite.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

platinum wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

platinum this Argentina team is hardly special even in terms of individuals they aren't on the level of Colombia or Belgium talk less of the real favorites. Can you even compared them to the squads they had that were actually good such as the 2006 and 2002 versions?

kalani,

They look worse than they are and it's easy to say their individuals suck now but lets look at their starting players today.

Sergio Romero
Pablo Zabaleta - one of the best RB's today
Ezequiel Garay - Utd wanted him before he just moved to Zenit, above average.
Marcos Rojo - Good LB
Lionel Messi - Worlds best
Angel Di Maria - One of the best at his position
Fernando Gago - Real Madrid turned him to crap but he's been resurgent in Argentina
Javier Mascherano - Excellent player
Gonzalo Higuain - Easy to knock him but remember he was one of top scorers
Lavezzi - Underachieved all season but is he garbage?

Basically, give this squad to any half competent coach and they'll be looking like shining stars. Another thing to remember, they've played largely against teams who've parked the bus and who've set out to choke them PLUS the Higuain who everyone is dogging had quite a season at Napoli, some act like he's the worst forward in the world. He'd start for most sides in this 1/4 including Germany, Brazil and even the Colombians.

KPOM to the highlighted!!!

They suck as a team. But something tells me having Messi and some good individuals will at some point yield teamwork. Interestingly, they seem to have more time to discover themselves in this regard.

There could be worse opposition looming for Argentina than the USA or Belgium. They're sure being favored by the football gods so far.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

The sad thing is despite 3 poor group stage showings Sabella came out with the same line-up, same tactics and expected a better showing. This bum had 5 days to prepare for this match. Everyone knew Switzerland would park the bus. Everyone knew the onus was on Argentina to break the Swiss down. Yet this moron comes out making no changes at all. Argentina has reached this point on individual talent alone minus any good coaching. They might end up in the semis (again, on individual talent) but good luck using this same tired approach against a Van Gaal coached team and then Brazil/Germany in the final :shock:
Maradona
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Maradona »

ARGENTINAAAAAAA!
The danger in hunting down evil, is that you gradually become that which you seek to destroy..

"While this Czech man is impressive, d#$% Cheney, Don Rumsfeld and the rest of the US Republican establishment have been living without a heart for a far longer time." - Scipio Africanus' reaction to news that a Czech man had undergone a surgical procedure that enabled him to live for 6 months without a heart.
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

Post by GREENWHITEGREEN »

US almost nicked it at the end there.
-Simpli fy -
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

That France game had extra-time written all over it, until the bloody cheats of a ref stepped in.
-Simpli fy -
GREENWHITEGREEN
Egg
Egg

USA!!
-Simpli fy -
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

[/video]
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”