Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 5:40 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:07 am
Posts: 235
USA football has shown great growth? Which puts them in a good standing for next
World Cup. But has African teams improved?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 70992
Location: Earth
Which growth. Let dem win something outside of concacaf first. Smh . Physical football wont win You nada. After every worldcup, we hear the same thing. One wi. I. The world cup and you claim they will win It :rotf: dude get real. Mayne Maybe if concacrap has 24 teams teams then they can win.. a team that cannot string more than 3 or 4 passes.


Keeper made over 16 saves..win worldcup maybe In Field hockey

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:37 pm
Posts: 673
The problem with Africa is not a lack of talent, it is rather an aversion for organization and preparation. Getting prepared and organized in Africa is something that Africans frown upon.

_________________
The greatset gift of life is the gift of learning, that gift is incomplete unless it is passed on - Annonymous


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:01 am
Posts: 44122
...they got to the confederation final in South Africa 2009, abi? Make we reach first. I think Cameroon made it to final also in '03.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:07 pm
Posts: 640
As much as it pains me to admit it, at this rate it will be the US.

However they US lacks the development of technical players. At this rate the only way they can win it will be to tactically and physically outplay their opponents. It would be a Greek Euro 2004 style win if the US were to pull it off.

In short it would be ugly but effective.

US has better shape and defensive organization than EVERY SINGLE AFRICAN SIDE ATM. However their midfielders and forwards are pretty much inferior to every African side at the WC.

But defence and organization are more important and win matches.

_________________
"An African team will win the 2010 World Cup"- Nostradamus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15052
Nostradamus, I also believe the US will win the WC before an African team. But I totally disagree we won't produce technical players. Absolutely false.

I'll say it again and again: US football program management is tackling this issue head on. The MLS and academies are specifically structured to produce technical players. It's only a matter of time before we reap such investment. More Americans will play abroad as well.

We have 320 million or so Americans. Diversity of people. Lots of athletes. State of the art sports science. Self belief. Lots of kids are cycling through football.

Greece? No way. More like Brazil, actually, at least in terms of potential and producing players. With an American edge.

This isn't kool aid. It's systematic development. And some magic. It's coming together.

Cheers, Mate

_________________
Pax Americana...Wither Now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:29 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:43 pm
Posts: 11835
Location: minneapolis, USA
After every world cup we get the same arguments... What exactly has improved about the USMNT team? Please nobody should tell me about their fighting spirit because unless you are just watching them for the first time they have always done that. What exactly has improved? Only if Belgium where a little bit more clinical in front of goals within 90 minutes we won't be having this conversation.

The USA finished the world cup with 1-1-2, same record like Nigeria 1-1-2 and both went out in the Rd 16. Please spare me all this nonsensical stuff because Tim Howard made 16 saves to keep them in a game they had no reason being in.

To answer your OP, both ain't winning the world cup any time soon.

_________________
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:01 am
Posts: 1252
US first most likely

African teams, even though talented, have too much working against them:

internal factors such as politics, bonus issues, training plans and facilities, organizational support, poor local leagues (affects types of players that are developed)

external factors such as officiating, harder qualification process etc

_________________
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:07 pm
Posts: 640
mate wrote:
Nostradamus, I also believe the US will win the WC before an African team. But I totally disagree we won't produce technical players. Absolutely false.

I'll say it again and again: US football program management is tackling this issue head on. The MLS and academies are specifically structured to produce technical players. It's only a matter of time before we reap such investment. More Americans will play abroad as well.

We have 320 million or so Americans. Diversity of people. Lots of athletes. State of the art sports science. Self belief. Lots of kids are cycling through football.

Greece? No way. More like Brazil, actually, at least in terms of potential and producing players. With an American edge.

This isn't kool aid. It's systematic development. And some magic. It's coming together.

Cheers, Mate



they may produce more technical players in the future, but as it stands currently, out of the 32 teams at the world cup. USA is near dead last in terms of quality technical players.

_________________
"An African team will win the 2010 World Cup"- Nostradamus


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:52 pm
Posts: 514
wazobia wrote:
US first most likely

African teams, even though talented, have too much working against them:

internal factors such as politics, bonus issues, training plans and facilities, organizational support, poor local leagues (affects types of players that are developed)

external factors such as officiating, harder qualification process etc


Algeria showed they were not hindered by all the factors you listed about African teams. Algeria like Nigeria, also had the same 1 win, 1 Draw and 2 Losses as USA. However, Algeria player 5 times better against strong German team as the USA did against a good but toothless Belgium. So I don't see how folk are saying USA are ahead of every African team.

Regarding the topic, I would say an African team will most likely win the WC before USA. Africa has a 5 in 32 chance and USA a 1 in 32. Also a African team always makes it out of the group whilst the USA fail to advance to the 2nd round more times than not. If you asked between an African team or a Concacaf team then opinions would be more even.
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that any of us will be alive to see who will win the World Cup first.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:19 am
Posts: 23270
If the WC were to be between CAF and CONCACAF no country in Africa would win a single trophy. It would be between Mexico and USA.

But to the question. USA seems to be the country to win the WC before any African country. Why? Because looking at American kids overseas, and if USSF allows them, it'll just be a matter of time before the USA starts using world class players. To win a WC you need world class players.

_________________
All summer '17...playing dirty not clean!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:52 pm
Posts: 514
kolinzo wrote:
If the WC were to be between CAF and CONCACAF no country in Africa would win a single trophy. It would be between Mexico and USA.

But to the question. USA seems to be the country to win the WC before any African country. Why? Because looking at American kids overseas, and if USSF allows them, it'll just be a matter of time before the USA starts using world class players. To win a WC you need world class players.


Interesting opinion... However apart from the USA, Mexico & Costa Rica, name 7 other teams from concacaf that would really trouble Africa's top 10 teams in a World Cup match? Also it would be interesting to know the head to head statistics of previous meetings between CAF and Concacaf teams at the WC and confeds cup?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15052
superwinger wrote:
kolinzo wrote:
If the WC were to be between CAF and CONCACAF no country in Africa would win a single trophy. It would be between Mexico and USA.

But to the question. USA seems to be the country to win the WC before any African country. Why? Because looking at American kids overseas, and if USSF allows them, it'll just be a matter of time before the USA starts using world class players. To win a WC you need world class players.


Interesting opinion... However apart from the USA, Mexico & Costa Rica, name 7 other teams from concacaf that would really trouble Africa's top 10 teams in a World Cup match? Also it would be interesting to know the head to head statistics of previous meetings between CAF and Concacaf teams at the WC and confeds cup?



I think Canada will emerge as a decent team in the next decade. They're also investing money and reap any American investments in football. Canada + Mexico + USA + Costa Rica = an emerging center of gravity for football. Simply consider how many people live here and how many kids will be cycling through expanding infrastructure.

In my view, it's a matter of time...from 4 - 8 years before we see a deeper run in a WC by a CONCACAF team.

Cheers, Mate

_________________
Pax Americana...Wither Now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:01 am
Posts: 1252
superwinger wrote:
wazobia wrote:
US first most likely

African teams, even though talented, have too much working against them:

internal factors such as politics, bonus issues, training plans and facilities, organizational support, poor local leagues (affects types of players that are developed)

external factors such as officiating, harder qualification process etc


Algeria showed they were not hindered by all the factors you listed about African teams. Algeria like Nigeria, also had the same 1 win, 1 Draw and 2 Losses as USA. However, Algeria player 5 times better against strong German team as the USA did against a good but toothless Belgium. So I don't see how folk are saying USA are ahead of every African team.

Regarding the topic, I would say an African team will most likely win the WC before USA. Africa has a 5 in 32 chance and USA a 1 in 32. Also a African team always makes it out of the group whilst the USA fail to advance to the 2nd round more times than not. If you asked between an African team or a Concacaf team then opinions would be more even.
Unfortunately, there is no guarantee that any of us will be alive to see who will win the World Cup first.


Algeria overcame the 'poor local league' factor by recruiting a lot of french born players. However US is also more successful recruiting players with connections with them (e.g Julian Green). The statistics appear to favor the African teams as you stated, but only 1 or 2 are seriously prepared every time and with the way the draws are made, those teams sometimes even end up in the toughest groups. I do agree with your last point as well but I still live in hope to see an African team win in my lifetime

_________________
WOWO = ONO (oh no!) = OBO

WOWO 'We only want Oyinbo'

ONO 'Oyinbo na Oyinbo'

OBO 'Oyinbo be Oyinbo'


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:25 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:59 pm
Posts: 5333
Location: Exile
tsoolo wrote:
The problem with Africa is not a lack of talent, it is rather an aversion for organization and preparation. Getting prepared and organized in Africa is something that Africans frown upon.


The problem with Africa is the assumption that talent is not the problem .... and just having "talent" is not enough. Even our most gifted players often leave you wondering how much better they would have been if someone had taught them certain things. In some cases, they learn on the job .... in other cases they continue to rely on the basic "skill", which admittedly is enough to give them a great career and lots of money.

Ironically, countries like USA and South Africa (and probably South Korea and Japan) are reminders that "organization" and "preparation" won't do much for you if you don't have the basic je ne sais quoi .... whatever it is that separates the top-performing countries and the rest.

_________________
Image
The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects the wind to change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Don't believe anything until it has been officially denied.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:37 am
Posts: 35750
Location: From the place where hardcore is beautiful
Most English speaking nations just don't produce players with good enough technical ability, for some reason anglophone countries tend to value athleticism over technical ability.

_________________
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Bigpokey24 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by Owiny Sigoma who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:07 pm
Posts: 25540
If war breaks out, restricting the number of invites and availability of those from the upper echelon, theres a chance. Assuming mutual fears bring world peace, neither will make such haste in the next two contests. Perhaps, going a step further may be closer to Captain America's hand than the Eagle's talon. A more realistic point for discussion should be, why have Nigeria failed to progress in terms of the ceiling of their achievement, yet South Koreas, Costa Ricas, Turkeys etc have eclipsed and disgraced all thry have contributed? A nation of countless youth accolades, critical acclaim, why does it go so wrong outside of the youth setup? On those green grasses where age is nowt but a number, why are mercurial talents in playground, relative non entities in the realness? Why waw Karagounis still running in extra-time all the while our maverickian, wondrous wizard was breathing harder than James Tony, Prize fighter? Guts and guile will carry you only so far, but better to have that than the ringing ear of a slap from a teammate, in the name of unity of course. Nonsense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:10 pm
Posts: 8715
USA are far more likely to win the world cup especially now that football is getting more attention, there is so many issues that need addressing in Africa. Looking at Nigeria in particular I think we don't know how to nurture talent, we leave it too much too chance and by the time proper coaches and experts decide to take on the talent, the individual has already taken on bad habits or negative character traits that hinder their ability to improve, I have seen a lot of kids with potential but with very little access to right mentors. An analogy is Nigerian parents attitudes to education, some children are gifted but may drift due to lack of attention and support given, while others may be fortunate to have parents and or teachers/coaches who emotionally invested in the child, thus giving them best opportunities in development. What are the chances of a child of semi-illiterate getting picked up by a quality academy, a child who probably did not have best advice to start with, a child more likely to be picked up by dubious agents who want to make as much money as possible out of them while they are naive. The talent I am talking about is not just about football, it is also about coaching talent , physios, administrators in the game, a winning team is more than just the footballers.

_________________
Image
"The only thing we have to Fear is Fear itself"
- quote from F.D.R (1933) first Inaugural address

-


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 70992
Location: Earth
What has usa ever won in football apart from the Gold Cup. Mexico will win the world cup first before the usa. Mexico had won u 17, Olympic football etc.. and the usa gets owned by a young belgium team setting a record of most saves.. that is who will win The world cup. :rotf: Espn is serving some good kool aid for yall :rotf:

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:43 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 39633
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
The USA...

Give Klinsmann time, he will find 10 more Germans to add to the 5 he took to Brazil.

Sprinkle in some Brazilians... then they can only be matched by Equatorial Guinea... :taunt:





Problem is that the Equatorial Guineans will probably botch the nationalization process... :D :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:19 am
Posts: 23270
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Most English speaking nations just don't produce players with good enough technical ability, for some reason anglophone countries tend to value athleticism over technical ability.


What does this even mean?

_________________
All summer '17...playing dirty not clean!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:16 am
Posts: 2106
Location: Cut-N-Shoot, TX
When I read 'technical ability' I wonder what is meant by this. Germany have won three world cups, and
can anyone name a German player with what was meant by 'technical ability' and how many of these they have?
Germany have excelled via team discipline, cohesion, and individual focus, which is the main ingredient towards their successes.
Now to the main issues of the thread. The US can win the world cup faster than the Africans because their general
culture can help easily assimilate and execute the German model. Add to that the abundance of minority athletes
that can sometimes produce some diabolical performances, and the USA might even win two before any African country.

_________________
Though religion is a concept that simply can not be ignored. The fact that a deity could
stand idly by while one of his creations slaughters another simply in his name, is a mystery I
doubt theologists would dare touch.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15052
joao wrote:
When I read 'technical ability' I wonder what is meant by this. Germany have won three world cups, and
can anyone name a German player with what was meant by 'technical ability' and how many of these they have?
Germany have excelled via team discipline, cohesion, and individual focus, which is the main ingredient towards their successes.
Now to the main issues of the thread. The US can win the world cup faster than the Africans because their general
culture can help easily assimilate and execute the German model. Add to that the abundance of minority athletes
that can sometimes produce some diabolical performances, and the USA might even win two before any African country.



I think colloquially this comes down to an individual being able to change a game on a superb individual effort, especially in a flash. It's the ability to especially dribble and keep close control, beating several players, opening up space and time for not only yourself, but teammates. Obviously Messi is an extreme example.

I think it's also a Zidane type. Decent dribbling skills, but also extremely smart in dictating the passing and possession game. Xavi. Iniesta. Mateus. Breitner.

But I agree with you on this current Germany team. They all have solid individual skills: trapping, tackling, passing, okay dribbling. But none are game breakers. Either with individual ability or having a master general like the midfielders I listed.

As you imply, Germany is greater than the sum of the parts. They rely on fitness, tactics, discipline, football IQ, and power. But they don't have a game breaker. This might cost them today.

Here's the thing. I believe a Hulk is capable of breaking a game open. Brazil has some issues weaving offensive play. Especially now with Neymar gone. But I can see Hulk deciding to bull and dribble and create something. Even Oscar, in a moment of gut check brilliance.

Again, I just can't see this from any German. They're always going think about doing the right thing...if that makes sense. They don't have a Karl-Heinz Rumminegge, who could and would dribble and try to low % option, having faith in his skill.

Germany has ALWAYS had trouble with teams that feature such players. Especially giants like Brazil and Italy, even Argentina when they have a talisman like Maradona. Well, today Germany is in the frying oil of such an opponent.

We will see.

Cheers, Mate

_________________
Pax Americana...Wither Now?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group