Landon Donovan criticises Jürgen Klinsmann’s tactics

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

femibyte
Egg
Egg
Landon Donovan criticises Jürgen Klinsmann’s tactics

Post by femibyte »

Hmm, methinks Donovan should shut up and let others do the talking for him...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... nsmann-usa

The Guardian home

World Cup 2014 badge
World Cup 2014: Landon Donovan criticises Jürgen Klinsmann’s tactics
• LA Galaxy player claims USA were ‘not set up to succeed’
• Donovan was controversially left out of 23-man squad
• Klinsmann insists: ‘We are heading in the right direction’
Guardian staff
theguardian.com, Thursday 3 July 2014 10.00 EDT
Landon Donovan
Landon Donovan says Jürgen Klinsmann's tactics failed the US in Brazil. Photograph: Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
LA Galaxy’s Landon Donovan, who was controversially left out of the USA World Cup squad, has criticised Jürgen Klinsmann’s tactics in Brazil – saying the side were “not set up to succeed”.

Donovan, the former Everton, Bayer Leverkusen and Bayern Munich forward, had played in the previous three World Cups, but Klinsmann opted not to include him in his 23-man squad.

At the time, Donovan implied Klinsmann’s decision had been personal rather than about performances, saying: “I firmly believe that not only should I be going, but I feel like I really deserved it.”

Speaking a day after the defeat to Belgium, Donovan told MLS Soccer that the US campaign in Brazil had been “a missed opportunity … The thought of having a game Saturday – the day after the Fourth of July, against Lionel Messi and Argentina, with what was already a swelling audience – would have been incredible.

“I think we’re all disappointed in what happened. I think the most disappointing thing is we didn’t seem like we gave it a real effort, from a tactical standpoint. I thought the guys did everything they could, they did everything that was asked of them, but I don’t think we were set up to succeed, and that was tough to watch.

“It’s a results-oriented business and so, results-wise, you can hold your head high. If you really look at the performances, there were some good performances by guys, some not-so-good performances by guys. [But] as a whole, I think tactically, the team was not set up to succeed.

“They were set up in a way that was opposite from what they’ve been the past couple years, which is opening up, passing, attacking – trying to do that. And the team’s been successful that way. Why they decided to switch that in the World Cup, none of us will know. From a playing standpoint, I think the guys will probably be disappointed in the way things went.”

Donovan acknowledged that “everyone’s an expert when they’re watching at home”, but said he felt Klinsmann’s approach had been wrong. “Hindsight is 20/20, so in hindsight you would say we should’ve been more attacking. Maybe if we had been more attacking, we would have gotten four counterattack goals scored against us. So you never know … But my feeling as a player, if I’m in that locker room before that game – before the Germany game, before the Belgium game – and the coach walked in and said we’re playing a 4-5-1 and Clint [Dempsey] is up top by himself, I would have been disappointed. Because I would have said let’s go for it. I want a chance to go for it and try to win the game.

“Michael Bradley was put in the wrong position. He was put in a position that he’s not used to playing. He does a better job, as you saw with Julian Green’s goal, being in a deeper position. And having someone in a front of him, someone to help Clint also, makes him that much better because he’s got more opportunity to pick out different passes, more attacking options ahead of him. I think that was clearly an error.”

Donovan said he would take his time before deciding whether to push for a return to the national team. “We’ll see. That depends on a lot of conversations that would have to be held.”

The Fiver close
The Guardian's free football email, delivered every weekday at around 5pm - hence the name.

© 2014 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved.
;
You'll Never Walk Alone... - Liverpool FC
http://www.femibyte.com
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Landon Donovan criticises Jürgen Klinsmann’s tactics

Post by metalalloy »

:rotf: after he will invite himself to camp abi? He might as well retire from the us team.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

why did Beccamen not play though?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

Me think the guy is jealous as Tim Howard is now the poster boy for American soccer instead of him.
Egg
Egg

Post by lionga »

"Team not set up to win"?? What is Donovan smoking?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...as are detractors on Nigeria side waiting for failure and exit so they can pounce. Donovan need to hush it.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

femibyte wrote: … The thought of having a game Saturday – the day after the Fourth of July, against Lionel Messi and Argentina, with what was already a swelling audience – would have been incredible.
;
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

wishes...horses

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Gadfly wrote:Me think the guy is jealous as Tim Howard is now the poster boy for American soccer instead of him.
:clap: :clap:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

From the outside looking in, it always looks like more could have been done but the US team was set-up not to lose... it wasn't set-up to attack. Pick your opportunities... and be a blue-collar team.

I can now see why Donovan did not make the team...

If inside him he will rather go for it than trust his coach's instructions...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Cellular wrote:From the outside looking in, it always looks like more could have been done but the US team was set-up not to lose... it wasn't set-up to attack. Pick your opportunities... and be a blue-collar team.

I'm sure even Klinsman wishes he was on the end of the knockdown tap in that Wondolowski.... wiffed on VS Belgium :idea: :idea:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Guys, what you need to asses is the legitimacy of Donovan's claims. Is what he is saying right or wrong?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:From the outside looking in, it always looks like more could have been done but the US team was set-up not to lose... it wasn't set-up to attack. Pick your opportunities... and be a blue-collar team.

Very good points. But you always make that wrt others.

If it was Nigeria, u would accuse Donovan of sour grapes
U would say we are building a team not an all star
You would say how he was always a bad apple
U would accuse him and the natives who support him of always denigrating Nigeria...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
joplass
Egg
Egg

Post by joplass »

I never like this dude. Not a good player in my eyes just lucky. He could not cut it anywhere in Europe.
Man is comfortable in His imperfection but uncomfortable in His perfection. Me. (Inspired by Karol Józef Wojtyła - Crossing the Threshold of Hope)
kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

bamenda boy wrote:Guys, what you need to asses is the legitimacy of Donovan's claims. Is what he is saying right or wrong?
What he said was wrong!!
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

txj wrote:

U would accuse him and the natives who support him of always denigrating Nigeria...
Na so Cellulies operate,
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

txj wrote:

But Donovan is a sour grape...
Klinsmann was building a team hence the reason to drop Donovan...
Yes, he was a bad apple...
And there were natives who were supporting and wishing the team not do as well just to show up the coach...

Hence why I said, "I can see why Donovan did not make the team..."
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:

But Donovan is a sour grape...
Klinsmann was building a team hence the reason to drop Donovan...
Yes, he was a bad apple...
And there were natives who were supporting and wishing the team not do as well just to show up the coach...

Hence why I said, "I can see why Donovan did not make the team..."
I can also see why he didn't make the team.

And I can see the validity of his criticism even if I ultimately disagree with it.

I can see all that without impugning his motives...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

Donovan can kick rocks.

Sounds like a jilted lover.....
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

It was a very negative tactics, if it wasn't for Howard it would have been ugly. The played better against Ghana and Portugal.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Well Felix Magath just gave Donovan a piece of his mind :lol:

Fulham boss Felix Magath has come to the defense of his compatriot Jurgen Klinsmann in the form of an offensive attack on Landon Donovan.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.