Tim Howard's goalkeeping down to his TOURETTE'S?

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

goke313
Eaglet
Eaglet
Tim Howard's goalkeeping down to his TOURETTE'S?

Post by goke313 »

Was Tim Howard's incredible display of goalkeeping down to his TOURETTE'S? Experts say condition could have boosted self control and timing
US Keeper made 16 saves in heartbreaking knockout match against Belgium
Tourettes can give sufferers more cognitive self-control, not less

Tim Howard's superhuman effort to make 16 saves in America's World Cup game against Belgium could have been helped by his tourette's, experts have claimed.
They say the condition, which Howard has, can give sufferers more cognitive self-control, not less.
Researchers believe this is a lifetime of trying to control tics and also leads to improved timings.

The U.S. goalkeeper made 16 saves in this weeks heartbreaking knockout match against Belgium, the most by any keeper in a World Cup match in nearly half a century.

After the game, Howard was hailed a national hero, sparking a flurry of internet memes and even a prank to change the Wikipedia picture of the US Secretary of Defence to a shot of him diving to catch a ball.
'I’ve never counted how many tics I have in a game,' he said in a 2013 interview with Spiegel Online when asked about the condition.
He said his tics include blinking, clearing his throat, and muscle tensing.
'It happens all the time, without any warning, and it increases the nearer an important game draws,'
When the ball is far away, he says he indulges his twitches.
'I don’t suppress it,' he told the German publication.
However, he said when an opposing player approaches, he calms down.
'I have no idea how I do it. Not even my doctors can explain it to me.
'It’s probably because at that moment my concentration on the game is stronger than the Tourette’s syndrome.'

The British Psychological Society today pointed out that his tourettes may have helped, tweeting 'People with Tourette's have more cognitive self-control, not less - more from @ResearchDigest http://ow.ly/yHB5S @TimHowardGK #USMNT'
It pointed to a 2006 study in the UK.
Sven Mueller and colleagues at the University of Nottingham asked nine young patients with Tourette’s and 19 controls to sometimes make fast eye movements towards an onscreen target, and sometimes to do the reverse – to make fast eye movements in the opposite direction to a target.
A coloured border on the screen told them which rule to follow, and the rule changed every two trials.
Switching between the two commands takes mental effort, especially when the natural reflex to look at a suddenly appearing target must be inhibited.
As expected, the participants were slower to respond whenever the rule changed, as they adjusted their mental ‘set’ to the new rule.

The British Psychological Society today pointed out that his tourettes may have helped, tweeting 'People with Tourette's have more cognitive self-control, not less - more from @ResearchDigest http://ow.ly/yHB5S @TimHowardGK #USMNT'
It pointed to a 2006 study in the UK.
Sven Mueller and colleagues at the University of Nottingham asked nine young patients with Tourette’s and 19 controls to sometimes make fast eye movements towards an onscreen target, and sometimes to do the reverse – to make fast eye movements in the opposite direction to a target.
A coloured border on the screen told them which rule to follow, and the rule changed every two trials.
Switching between the two commands takes mental effort, especially when the natural reflex to look at a suddenly appearing target must be inhibited.
As expected, the participants were slower to respond whenever the rule changed, as they adjusted their mental ‘set’ to the new rule.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... z36Si4REvj
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Tim Howard's goalkeeping down to his TOURETTE'S?

Post by Damunk »

He should be banned.
Unfair advantage.
Nonsense. :tic:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Reminds me of the person who didn't have legs, got artificial ones then won a race after practicing so hard then dq'd by the parents because they thought he "cheated."

Some people simply work harder than others.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Didn't help him at Man UTd
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

Tim's always been a good goalie - tourettes or not.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

goke313 wrote:Was Tim Howard's incredible display of goalkeeping down to his TOURETTE'S? Experts say condition could have boosted self control and timing
if Lukaku, Mirallas or Origi had chipped rather than shooting straight at TH, there would be no mention of this nonsense

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

tfco wrote:
goke313 wrote:Was Tim Howard's incredible display of goalkeeping down to his TOURETTE'S? Experts say condition could have boosted self control and timing
if Lukaku, Mirallas or Origi had chipped rather than shooting straight at TH, there would be no mention of this nonsense

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

how did Timmy Ho fare against Chelsea without the benefit of 16 shots aimed at his torso?

:lol:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

all this tourettes get k-leg........i have never met/heard an african person suffering from this condition
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke