This world cup hasnt impressed me

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet
This world cup hasnt impressed me

Post by Comrade Machel »

:taunt: :taunt:
I refuse to accept this is the best ever world cup like some of the BBC pundits claimed

Todays semi ranks as the worst ever :roll:
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: This world cup hasnt impressed me

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

because Brazil got <moderator edit> abi? :lol: :lol: :lol: but the last 16 games and QF games were all poor.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Germany have impressed!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

The Notorious B!GGESTMAN wrote:because Brazil got <moderator edit> abi? :lol: :lol: :lol: but the last 16 games and QF games were all poor.

Not at all chief, I actually wanted Brazil out in the first round. The games have ben tacfical rather than entertaining

Lolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lolly »

Brazil have not impressed from the beginning. Too many un-Brazil players in the team.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Lolly wrote:Brazil have not impressed from the beginning. Too many un-Brazil players in the team.

You know football is in the doldrums when you have players like Hulk and Bernard starting for Brazil

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Lolly wrote:Brazil have not impressed from the beginning. Too many un-Brazil players in the team.
With a no-tactics un-Brazilian coach still living off the fact he was lucky to have Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Cafu, Roberto Carlos in 2002.
http://www.naijiant.com/
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

Exactly, this world cup has been average for me. Reason I was mad with Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory coast and even Algeria because they could have gone further in this competition had it been they were focused.
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Samora Moises Machel wrote:

You know football is in the doldrums when you have players like Hulk and Bernard starting for Brazil
:rotf: :rotf: what i want to know is how they got picked ahead of Ronaldinho, Robinho and Kaka?
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

wonder what happened to the Brazil of the Confeds cup? Admittedly they beat a Spainish side that we now know were passed their sell by date and who were also humiliated in the 1st round.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Chimurenga Rebel
Egg
Egg

Post by Chimurenga Rebel »

Samora this is my first memory of seeing Brazil in the world cup. The year was 1986 I was in primary school in Harare! Josimar nuff respect! :thumb: :thumb: This current crop of Brazilians are disgrace.

[/video]
"Just call me the Chimurenga Man. A guerilla. Soldier of peace.Man of the people. I write love poems with the barrel of my gun. For Africa always." - Japheth Ncube
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Gudo wrote:Samora this is my first memory of seeing Brazil in the world cup. The year was 1986 I was in primary school in Harare! Josimar nuff respect! :thumb: :thumb: This current crop of Brazilians are disgrace.

[/video]
May samba R.I.P

ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Gudo wrote:Samora this is my first memory of seeing Brazil in the world cup. The year was 1986 I was in primary school in Harare! Josimar nuff respect! :thumb: :thumb: This current crop of Brazilians are disgrace.

[/video]
Well, bros, you actually missed the greatest Brazil team after 1970, the Socrates, Falcao, Zico, Junior, Eder team of 1982, the last great jogo bonito team. That 1982 team puts the 1986 team to shame. They were so skillful they refused to defend, and picked some guy called Waldemar Perez off the streets of Sao Paulo to play in goal. Or at least that's what we thought given Perez's utter uselessness. That 1982 team was fantastic, and only beaten by the Pele, Tostao, Jair, Gerson, Rivelino team of 1970. The 1982 team had two flaws: no center forward--Serginho was a total piece of ship--and I already spoke about Waldemar Perez. They were fatal flaws.

Anyway, Josimar was a genius right back; can you imagine a third string right back coming to the World Cup and being selected to the all-star World Cup team? Brazil was that good in those days. By the way, his goal against Poland was even better than the one you have posted.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Samora Moises Machel wrote::taunt: :taunt:
I refuse to accept this is the best ever world cup like some of the BBC pundits claimed

Learn from the Europeans my friend. That is how they win world cups. We are about excitement, but we never win. I don't agree with you; this is the best World Cup I have seen, and the first World Cup I remember is 1966. We "watched" it on radio and (much later on) cinema.

This World Cup showed us two sides of the World Game: the first showed a lot of the excitement of upsets as many small boy outsiders started shoving the big boys around. The second side showed how the tactical teams, the teams that know how to win World Cups win it. Side two is for purists. I found the game between the Argies and Nederland vastly entertaining in a different way. The tension was immense, and the thought and planning that went into the organization of both teams as each stifled the other while seeking openings that would give them an advantage, that is the thinking man's game.
kalamashaka
Egg
Egg

Post by kalamashaka »

ohsee wrote:

Learn from the Europeans my friend. That is how they win world cups. We are about excitement, but we never win. I don't agree with you; this is the best World Cup I have seen, and the first World Cup I remember is 1966. We "watched" it on radio and (much later on) cinema.

This World Cup showed us two sides of the World Game: the first showed a lot of the excitement of upsets as many small boy outsiders started shoving the big boys around. The second side showed how the tactical teams, the teams that know how to win World Cups win it. Side two is for purists. I found the game between the Argies and Nederland vastly entertaining in a different way. The tension was immense, and the thought and planning that went into the organization of both teams as each stifled the other while seeking openings that would give them an advantage, that is the thinking man's game.
yep, I can see why Samora doesn't like it :mrgreen: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :P
"How many white men went in the party that destroyed Abame?"
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

kalamashaka wrote:
ohsee wrote:

yep, I can see why Samora doesn't like it :mrgreen: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :P
Image :taunt: :taunt:

I actual enjoyed all the games including the boring ones...

The gap between the good teams and the average teams are narrowing greatly...

I think the goals scored attests to the fact that this has been one of the most open and keenly contested WC ever...
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

This is my favorite WC since 1982. Lots of good games. Drama. Thrills.

And by and large, I think the 2 best teams are in the final. I'm always reluctant to say a team deserves to be in the final, but Germany and Argentina have shown the best overall quality over 6 games amongst the competitors.

BTW: The Brazilian team of 1982 got unlucky. They basically dominated every game. Enzo Bearzot after the 1st round ironically asserted that Brazil was going to win the WC, more easily than in 1970.

Italia rose to the occasion. They played some magnificent football. But Brazil made some catastrophic errors. But Italia also got away with bloody murder. They absolutely leveraged lenient officiating, committing disruptive foul after disruptive foul...things that would have gotten Gentile sent off within minutes today. For me, Italia, as good as they played in that WC, got lucky, as opposed to Brazil seriously lacking something.

In my view, Brazil really came undone in 1986. Platini and France beat them straight up. With Maradona magic eliminating them in 1990, that's when the jogo bonito discussion really started to grow louder. Even so, Brazil managed to produce fine players and teams, but with an adaptive physical edge, up to 2002.

Maybe this shock will bring some jogo bonito back? Maybe Brazil will overhaul their development, leagues, and inter league competition? Why can't we see a 2002 Brazil, the complete package?

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

mate wrote:This is my favorite WC since 1982. Lots of good games. Drama. Thrills.

And by and large, I think the 2 best teams are in the final. I'm always reluctant to say a team deserves to be in the final, but Germany and Argentina have shown the best overall quality over 6 games amongst the competitors.

BTW: The Brazilian team of 1982 got unlucky. They basically dominated every game. Enzo Bearzot after the 1st round ironically asserted that Brazil was going to win the WC, more easily than in 1970.

Italia rose to the occasion. They played some magnificent football. But Brazil made some catastrophic errors. But Italia also got away with bloody murder. They absolutely leveraged lenient officiating, committing disruptive foul after disruptive foul...things that would have gotten Gentile sent off within minutes today. For me, Italia, as good as they played in that WC, got lucky, as opposed to Brazil seriously lacking something.

In my view, Brazil really came undone in 1986. Platini and France beat them straight up. With Maradona magic eliminating them in 1990, that's when the jogo bonito discussion really started to grow louder. Even so, Brazil managed to produce fine players and teams, but with an adaptive physical edge, up to 2002.

Maybe this shock will bring some jogo bonito back? Maybe Brazil will overhaul their development, leagues, and inter league competition? Why can't we see a 2002 Brazil, the complete package?

Cheers, Mate
mate, you are wrong. Brazil lacked a center forward and a goalie in 1982. Serginho was basically another Fred, though he did score a couple of goals. Waldemar Perez was simply the worst of the lousy goalkeepers Brazil had up to that point. They were also too attack minded: Junior was not a full-back, and was more interested in ranging the midfield, eschewing defending. Given that Junior was constantly out of position, and that Toninho Cerezo and Falcao were not real DMs, what Italy did to them was inevitable. It was a well-planned and executed ambush, and it gave us the best game of that WC.
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

ohsee wrote:
mate wrote:This is my favorite WC since 1982. Lots of good games. Drama. Thrills.

Cheers, Mate
mate, you are wrong. Brazil lacked a center forward and a goalie in 1982. Serginho was basically another Fred, though he did score a couple of goals. Waldemar Perez was simply the worst of the lousy goalkeepers Brazil had up to that point. They were also too attack minded: Junior was not a full-back, and was more interested in ranging the midfield, eschewing defending. Given that Junior was constantly out of position, and that Toninho Cerezo and Falcao were not real DMs, what Italy did to them was inevitable. It was a well-planned and executed ambush, and it gave us the best game of that WC.

Ohsee, Brazil still played great for the most part in that tournament. They beat Argentina decisively 3 - 1 in 2nd round play, whereas Italy beat Argentina 2 - 1. Again, Italy HACKED up young Maradona. So did Brazil a bit, prompting Maradona to go crazy and get his red card.

I agree with you that Serghinho and Perez were not world class, but on an otherwise world class team...quite unlike this current outfit...I still think they got unlucky against the Italians. When tied 2 - 2, Brazil still was offensive minded, refusing to close up shop and take the draw they needed.

I truly believe it was the series of WCs of 1982, 1986, and 1990 that really prompted Brazil to abandon a pure jogo bonito approach. But they didn't lose this entirely either. 1994 and 2002 Brazil has wonderful football, even if they also were capable of grinding it out and playing defensively.

These guys today? Jokers! Brazil, just like Germany in 1998, need a total overhaul. I'll say it again: I believe it must start with reinvigorating South American club football.

As the game has evolved, European top teams benefit most by having football dominated by La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga, and EPL. The leagues of Turkey, Greece, and Holland are no slouches either. The big Europeans especially are helped by concentrating a nucleus of players at a few clubs...honing a NT style, amidst the best globally.

Meanwhile, South American players leave earlier and in greater number than ever. In a game of thin margins, I believe this is making the difference. It's enough where the big Europeans will win consistently...save for a special great one like Messi, the type of player whom can potentially trump everything I just spoke about.

Anyway, I believe Brazil can restore itself. With Jogo Bonito. And with ruthless, cutting edge tactics. Again, I'm thinking 2002. The 3 Rs. Roberto Carlos. Cafu. Lucio. Wow! What a team that was!

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

This WC has been epic
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

YUJAM wrote:This WC has been epic
Thank you , goals galore.