[2nd SF] NED 2 V ARG 4 (FT) PKs

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg
Re: [2nd SF] NED 2 V ARG 4 (FT) PKs

Post by Heliopolis »

Higuain played his best match of the tournament. Props to him.

Argentina looked calm and composed at the back for most of the match. Only exception was when yeye Demichelis got booked and was afraid to tackle afterwards.

We aint pretty going forward but by defending in numbers we have made it this far. If Di Maria can get fit in time for Sunday our chances improve significantly.

We dont need any motivation going into a World Cup final but I hope some of the Argentina players are out to exact revenge against Germany after they eliminated us from 3 of the last 6 WCs (2010, 2006 and 1990). Messi is due for a good performance. Unfortunately for the first time in the tournament we wont have much home support since the final will be full of neutral fans.

Germany is the clear favorite on Sunday but we will make it tough for them by defending in numbers. Other than the Nigeria match our defence has been terrific all tournament. I will worry about them on Saturday/Sunday but for now let me digest this victory after 20+ years of suffering :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Ekorian wrote:KESHI WAS SO POOR THAT HIS BOYS SCORED AGAINST THE ARGIES TWICE. HMMMMMMM
:lol: :lol:
Na so we see am o.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Heliopolis wrote:Higuain played his best match of the tournament. Props to him.

Argentina looked calm and composed at the back for most of the match. Only exception was when yeye Demichelis got booked and was afraid to tackle afterwards.

We aint pretty going forward but by defending in numbers we have made it this far. If Di Maria can get fit in time for Sunday our chances improve significantly.

We dont need any motivation going into a World Cup final but I hope some of the Argentina players are out to exact revenge against Germany after they eliminated us from 3 of the last 6 WCs (2010, 2006 and 1990). Messi is due for a good performance. Unfortunately for the first time in the tournament we wont have much home support since the final will be full of neutral fans.

Germany is the clear favorite on Sunday but we will make it tough for them by defending in numbers. Other than the Nigeria match our defence has been terrific all tournament. I will worry about them on Saturday/Sunday but for now let me digest this victory after 20+ years of suffering :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Higuain's goal was not offside. It would have been injustice if they were knocked out
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

Vincent. wrote:

Higuain's goal was not offside. It would have been injustice if they were knocked out
Not quite sure if the ball went in tho...I think it hit the side netting
ElHadary
Suspended Member

Post by ElHadary »

Why is an Egyptian Canadian using "we" when describing the Argies?
skillful
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by skillful »

Arsenal with 3 players in the final........... Arsenal till i die
"I first saw David Rocastle play in 1983 for the youth team. I remember coming home excitedly from the match and telling my family, "I've just watched the nearest thing to a Brazilian footballer you are ever likely to see - and he comes from Lewisham." - David Dein on Rocky Rocastle
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Vincent. wrote:

did that go in or did it hit the side netting ?
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Vincent. wrote:

He missed.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

We-we don extend to countries now? :shock:
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
oloye wrote:Some coaches are the architect of their own downfall.
I will like to see you coach some day
Can't agree more with Oloye. I know hindsight is 20 20 but why sub out De Jong. the kid Clasie who came in was good but i dont think that was a necessary sub.

Secondly, Kuyt brought absolutely nothing to this game. Yes he hustled but i cant count the number of times he got the ball with so much space down that left flank but he failed to exploit it. He kept passing the ball back.

Also he should have saved a sub again to bring on Krul. Apparently, Cillessen has never saved a pk. He has faced 16 and never saved any. As of today, he has faced 20 and saved 0. Now that is down right pathetic
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Vincent. wrote:

He missed.
Higuain was not called offsides, he missed the shot, it was side netting.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

A high level, cagey, tactical game.

But surely football can do better than European reductionism...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

ohsee wrote:

We-we don extend to countries now? :shock:
Nna!
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

txj wrote:A high level, cagey, tactical game.

The Dutch were being reductionist in this game...?
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

juventuss wrote:
Vincent. wrote:

did that go in or did it hit the side netting ?
Sorry, I thought he scored. I was too tense to see :rotf:
Eto’o, Ronaldinho, Deco, and Messi are like good caviar, tender pine-nuts, chemical-free sea salt, and the purest of virgin olive oils, said one of the world's greatest chefs, Ferran Adria of El Bulli restaurant, Before Barca went on to wallop Madrid 3-0 at the Bernabeu.

“I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art. Football is like that. When I watch Barcelona, it is art” — Arsène Wenger, August 2009
bonecrusher
Egg
Egg

Post by bonecrusher »

skillful wrote:Arsenal with 3 players in the final........... Arsenal till i die
Hope they leave their Arsenal form at home else we know what will happen :taunt: :taunt:
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

The YeyeMan wrote:

The Dutch were being reductionist in this game...?
They've been that way all tournament. They've not really taken any game to the opponent, they've reacted to what the opponent has done.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

At the end of the day it's about winning, that's been what this cup has been about, the sides who were cavalier were weeded out swiftly but surely.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
soothsayer
Egg
Egg

Post by soothsayer »

This world cup is weird man, how on earth did this so called Average team called Argentina get to the finals..........
How did a team like Germany that could have lost to useless Ghana make it to the final??????
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

Who is "we"?? I thought you last qualified for the WC in 1978?
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
African Star
Egg
Egg
Re: [2nd SF] NED 0 V ARG 0 (FT) PKs

Post by African Star »

GREENWHITEGREEN wrote:They deserve to lose. You all can say it was tactical and all that but they played scared. The Argies were actually more positive in their approach.
How do you take away a team's counter attack? The Dutch were cautios going forward because they wanted to maintain team balance and not allow Argentina to counter them while they were thin at the back. People are bashing Kuyt for not going forward like Efe was going forward and SE getting burned in the space he left. This is what I was saying during teh SE game when I was being bashed, you don't commit too many players forward against a good counter attacking team, the best example of that was Brazil sending players forward incuding their center back and captain and getting caught repeatedly with thin numbers at the back and against a German team that obviously studied that and came up with the offensive patterns to exploit the space and basically passed the balls into the net.

Some people just need to be spectators :atc:
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

Vincent. wrote:
txj wrote:Javier Mascherano, the best DM in the world right now...

What a monstrous performance...

We taught him well at Liverpool...
The guy is amazing!
I remember Cesc was speaking in an interview a few years ago, describing Mascherano as a specialist tackler, as someone who knows where the ball will go before it is kicked and positions himself to make a tackle. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cesc on Mascherano
http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -barcelona

But there's a player who's played in both leagues and does that better than anyone: [Javier] Mascherano. Masche always dives in and he always comes away with the ball. He uses it a lot but not as a last resort, rather as a specialty. For him it's a recurso [something you have to resort to] and a cualidad [a quality, something to aspire to]. Masche is incredible, very clever: he knows when to tackle, when to stand. He's a guy who really knows how to play football. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Vincent.
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Vincent. »

soothsayer wrote:This world cup is weird man, how on earth did this so called Average team called Argentina get to the finals..........
How did a team like Germany that could have lost to useless Ghana make it to the final??????
It is actually not weird. Tournament-winning teams usually pace themselves: they start slowly in the group stages and improve as the tournament progresses, with the idea of peaking toward the business end of the tournament. If you come to win a tournament, there is no point peaking in the group stages. It is about getting it right between peaking too early and starting too slowly.

It is clear that Argentina has improved significantly (especially in terms of team defense) in the past two matches.