JEROME BOATENG SHOULD HAVE WON THE GOLDEN BALL

Discuss the 22nd edition of the 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP QATAR™ scheduled to take place in Qatar from 21 November to 18 December 2022. Africa will be represented by Country-A, Country-B, Country-C, Country-D, AND Country-E.

Visit here for the latest interviews, news and features from the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

African Star
Egg
Egg
JEROME BOATENG SHOULD HAVE WON THE GOLDEN BALL

Post by African Star »

In my opinion he was the best player on the pitch in the finals putting in an MVP performance and it was him who solidified the German defense after switching to center back in the knockout stages. He did not put any foot wrong in the whole championships and if only defenders were given the same look as forwards and play makers he would have been a contender, a close second was the German goalkeeper.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
F360
Egg
Egg
Re: JEROME BOATENG SHOULD HAVE WON THE GOLDEN BALL

Post by F360 »

African Star wrote:In my opinion he was the best player on the pitch in the finals putting in an MVP performance and it was him who solidified the German defense after switching to center back in the knockout stages. He did not put any foot wrong in the whole championships and if only defenders were given the same look as forwards and play makers he would have been a contender, a close second was the German goalkeeper.

The one player on their team who is the best in the world at his position is Manuel Neuer, who you then say should have been a close second for the "Goldenball" after Boateng. You might have the numbers mixed up my brother.
One could have gone with many on the German team for that award but I think it's unarguable that Neuer would be first choice for the award from the German team, then either Mueller or Schweinsteiger, then Boateng.(Special consideration to Hummels and Lahm).

--------------------------------------------
African Star
Egg
Egg

Post by African Star »

F360 wrote:
African Star wrote:In my opinion he was the best player on the pitch in the finals putting in an MVP performance and it was him who solidified the German defense after switching to center back in the knockout stages. He did not put any foot wrong in the whole championships and if only defenders were given the same look as forwards and play makers he would have been a contender, a close second was the German goalkeeper.

The one player on their team who is the best in the world at his position is Manuel Neuer, who you then say should have been a close second for the "Goldenball" after Boateng. You might have the numbers mixed up my brother.
One could have gone with many on the German team for that award but I think it's unarguable that Neuer would be first choice for the award from the German team, then either Mueller or Schweinsteiger, then Boateng.(Special consideration to Hummels and Lahm).
I agree with you that Neuer is the best in the world but he had very little to do in the semis and final while Boateng was huge especially in the finals, the only player I would have put ahead of him was khedira but he did not play in the finals. While the other German players you mentioned played well, they were part of a machine with not much individual displays of talent. Boateng made some key saves and was always there to make that final stop or clearance, g back and watch the game and see how many times he saved Germany.
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:atc:

so many doubts for the German team..let's just give it to Messi.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

uglyoneiamagain
Egg
Egg

Post by uglyoneiamagain »

tfco wrote::atc:

so many doubts for the German team..let's just give it to Messi.
:rotf:
mate
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mate »

Boateng gave as strong a defensive performance as I can remember in a final. For me, he was man of the match. He did many unsung things, getting key tackles, blocking space, and winning balls.

Warrior. Lion. Discipline. Grit. Intelligence. He was simply German and everything that applies in a team like this.

But Golden Ball? It really is tough to single any 1 German. This isn't criticism, but rather an compliment to their strength and style. How do you choose between Boateng, Schweinsteiger, Neur, or Lahm over the whole tournament?

No 1 German carried the team. Did any really make a heavily weighted contribution that the team couldn't ultimately do without? Keep in mind, they were able to sustain the losses of Reus, Khedira, Hummels, and Kramer in one context or another. Simply reverting Lahm to right back and putting Boateng, Hummels, Khedira, and Schweinsteiger in the middle allowed each individual to truly shine and the team all the stronger...which to me is more beautiful than what any 1 individual ultimately did.

Golden ball for a German? On a song, I'd vote for Neur. He truly was a difference maker, the best at his position, and even revolutionized the position as almost an extra sweeper...something no other goalie matched.

But when I think of this team, the actual WC trophy comes to mind, not a Golden Ball. Leave the Golden Ball for Mess. Certainly there were some stars in this tournament. But none really rose like a Zidane, Xavi, Maradona, Pele, or so. This WC was more about individuals playing within a team concept.

If I had to choose a Golden Ball...Arjen Robben. But like Messi, he couldn't pull his squad forward. Again, no 1 individual could do this.

Cheers, Mate
Pax Americana...Wither Now?
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

What about Hummel?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Boateng was the best defender at the worldcup. when he went off against Ghana, they struggled..the guy was just world class vs Argentina
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Boateng was the best defender at the worldcup. when he went off against Ghana, they struggled..the guy was just world class vs Argentina
Phillip Lahm was better than Boateng in Brazi if you consider all the games and not just the final...
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
F360
Egg
Egg

Post by F360 »

Ekorian wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Boateng was the best defender at the worldcup. when he went off against Ghana, they struggled..the guy was just world class vs Argentina
Phillip Lahm was better than Boateng in Brazi if you consider all the games and not just the final...
Thing is, Lahm didn't play as a defender until the knockout round iirc.
So BP is kind of right. Hummels was solid at CB but Boateng did a good job at RB and even better job at CB.

I think Mate is spot on. Tough to give Goldenball to any one German player because there are so many that would deserve it.

--------------------------------------------
Quin Romito
Egg
Egg

Post by Quin Romito »

Lahm is undoubtedly is one of the best defenders of his generation. Can't really imagine how it will be without him. He picks out the ball from his opponent's feet so easily!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

I see no one call Ozil that Platini beg to take his shirt.
Ooh the guy who has been crown Best German player like 5 straight time.