Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:11 pm
Posts: 8957
In my opinion he was the best player on the pitch in the finals putting in an MVP performance and it was him who solidified the German defense after switching to center back in the knockout stages. He did not put any foot wrong in the whole championships and if only defenders were given the same look as forwards and play makers he would have been a contender, a close second was the German goalkeeper.

_________________
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:56 am
Posts: 6401
Location: TX
African Star wrote:
In my opinion he was the best player on the pitch in the finals putting in an MVP performance and it was him who solidified the German defense after switching to center back in the knockout stages. He did not put any foot wrong in the whole championships and if only defenders were given the same look as forwards and play makers he would have been a contender, a close second was the German goalkeeper.



The one player on their team who is the best in the world at his position is Manuel Neuer, who you then say should have been a close second for the "Goldenball" after Boateng. You might have the numbers mixed up my brother.
One could have gone with many on the German team for that award but I think it's unarguable that Neuer would be first choice for the award from the German team, then either Mueller or Schweinsteiger, then Boateng.(Special consideration to Hummels and Lahm).

_________________
....................................................

--------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:11 pm
Posts: 8957
F360 wrote:
African Star wrote:
In my opinion he was the best player on the pitch in the finals putting in an MVP performance and it was him who solidified the German defense after switching to center back in the knockout stages. He did not put any foot wrong in the whole championships and if only defenders were given the same look as forwards and play makers he would have been a contender, a close second was the German goalkeeper.



The one player on their team who is the best in the world at his position is Manuel Neuer, who you then say should have been a close second for the "Goldenball" after Boateng. You might have the numbers mixed up my brother.
One could have gone with many on the German team for that award but I think it's unarguable that Neuer would be first choice for the award from the German team, then either Mueller or Schweinsteiger, then Boateng.(Special consideration to Hummels and Lahm).


I agree with you that Neuer is the best in the world but he had very little to do in the semis and final while Boateng was huge especially in the finals, the only player I would have put ahead of him was khedira but he did not play in the finals. While the other German players you mentioned played well, they were part of a machine with not much individual displays of talent. Boateng made some key saves and was always there to make that final stop or clearance, g back and watch the game and see how many times he saved Germany.

_________________
“Whoever invented football should be worshiped as a God.” Hugo Sanchez, Mexican soccer player and coach


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:49 pm
Posts: 69287
Location: Accra, Old Trafford, Takoradi, Canada
:atc:

so many doubts for the German team..let's just give it to Messi.

_________________

AFCON 2019 - DRIVE for FIVE

FOUR > THREE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:51 am
Posts: 2031
tfco wrote:
:atc:

so many doubts for the German team..let's just give it to Messi.


:rotf:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 11:33 pm
Posts: 15052
Boateng gave as strong a defensive performance as I can remember in a final. For me, he was man of the match. He did many unsung things, getting key tackles, blocking space, and winning balls.

Warrior. Lion. Discipline. Grit. Intelligence. He was simply German and everything that applies in a team like this.

But Golden Ball? It really is tough to single any 1 German. This isn't criticism, but rather an compliment to their strength and style. How do you choose between Boateng, Schweinsteiger, Neur, or Lahm over the whole tournament?

No 1 German carried the team. Did any really make a heavily weighted contribution that the team couldn't ultimately do without? Keep in mind, they were able to sustain the losses of Reus, Khedira, Hummels, and Kramer in one context or another. Simply reverting Lahm to right back and putting Boateng, Hummels, Khedira, and Schweinsteiger in the middle allowed each individual to truly shine and the team all the stronger...which to me is more beautiful than what any 1 individual ultimately did.

Golden ball for a German? On a song, I'd vote for Neur. He truly was a difference maker, the best at his position, and even revolutionized the position as almost an extra sweeper...something no other goalie matched.

But when I think of this team, the actual WC trophy comes to mind, not a Golden Ball. Leave the Golden Ball for Mess. Certainly there were some stars in this tournament. But none really rose like a Zidane, Xavi, Maradona, Pele, or so. This WC was more about individuals playing within a team concept.

If I had to choose a Golden Ball...Arjen Robben. But like Messi, he couldn't pull his squad forward. Again, no 1 individual could do this.

Cheers, Mate

_________________
Pax Americana...Wither Now?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:22 pm
Posts: 10388
What about Hummel?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:58 pm
Posts: 72383
Location: Earth
Boateng was the best defender at the worldcup. when he went off against Ghana, they struggled..the guy was just world class vs Argentina

_________________
SuperEagles

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:09 pm
Posts: 19600
Location: NORTH AMERICA
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Boateng was the best defender at the worldcup. when he went off against Ghana, they struggled..the guy was just world class vs Argentina


Phillip Lahm was better than Boateng in Brazi if you consider all the games and not just the final...

_________________
Melania Trump at the inauguration " Thank yourrr for making me ourrrr FIST LADY"

Melania Praying At a Florida rally on Feb. 18 2017 " Our Feather who heart in oven "


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 4:56 am
Posts: 6401
Location: TX
Ekorian wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Boateng was the best defender at the worldcup. when he went off against Ghana, they struggled..the guy was just world class vs Argentina


Phillip Lahm was better than Boateng in Brazi if you consider all the games and not just the final...


Thing is, Lahm didn't play as a defender until the knockout round iirc.
So BP is kind of right. Hummels was solid at CB but Boateng did a good job at RB and even better job at CB.

I think Mate is spot on. Tough to give Goldenball to any one German player because there are so many that would deserve it.

_________________
....................................................

--------------------------------------------


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group