FULL TEXT of Egu's Speech to Players after AFCON ......

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
FULL TEXT of Egu's Speech to Players after AFCON ......

Post by Enugu II »

Eguavoen talks painful AFCON exit, sends classy messages to Super Eagles, Musa
Urges team to focus on qualifiers against Ghana

https://sportsration.com/eguavoen-talks ... gles-musa/
Photo of Tope Adefala Tope Adefala3 hours ago0 117 3 minutes read

Austin Eguavoen the Super Eagles technical director and the interim coach to the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon has sent classy messages to the team, and captain Ahmed Musa.

In a video published by the NFF TV, Eguavoen praised the team, their attitude and revealed his shock at the team’s elimination at the round of 16.

“It is a bitter pill to swallow no doubt about it but human beings proposes and God dispossess,” he said in a video published on NFF TV.

“I have decided with the entire crew just to have a word with you guys because you will be travelling back and we might not have the opportunity to gather. This is just to show appreciation to you players and the backroom staff.

“What we’ve been hearing about you guys turned out to be wrong, because you guys have displayed professionalism big time. Commitment, togetherness, love, passion, dedication everything put together nothing is missing at all. So I want to say congratulations for your performance but we were striving for something but we couldn’t get it. It’s one of those in life. It’s very painful to exit the tournament in the round of 16 with the calibre of players that we have.

“But my joy is that at least we were able to impact something and the response from you guys was amazing. This morning I got a call from the honourable minister and he told me to let you guys know that you shouldn’t bury your head down, heads up and he is very satisfied with the performance so far.

“The NFF president also called me, the General Secretary called me, Barrister Akinwunmi called me, Shehu Dikko called me. For them to still believe in this team I think it’s a plus. Now we will be travelling back home I know you will hear some positive things and negative things, it is normal in life for whatever reasons because Nigerians they love football and that’s what brings smiles to their faces.

“So a lot was expected and we couldn’t meet the expectations. Not their expectations because first of all you first which is important, we couldn’t meet our expectations which is okay, it happens football. But I want you to continue to believe in yourselves because you still have a whole lot of job to do for yourselves and the nation. The World Cup qualifier is close, the quicker we take this off our mind the better for everybody.

“The fact that we still have the NFF in support of what we are doing we now see we don’t have anything to worry about. It was hard for me to sleep but what do I have to do, take it digest and just move on, mistakes are there to be made. Turn your ears to negative thoughts and think positive.

“It was a very short tournament for us, some people got to play some didn’t get to play but the way we took it is very encouraging and I want to urge you to continue in that line because it will come to your turn also to be in the shoes. If you wish your teammates well it will also go well with you. But if you have a bad mind it will have a way to get back to you whether we like it or not.

“So I want to say a very big thank you to the staff here, very supportive. We said it from day one there would be ups and downs there would be argument but for a reason for the same objective. Believe me the progress we’ve made right from December I think is wonderful. So it’s not easy but please don’t bury down your head, heads up and continue to do what you know how to do best in your clubs and hopefully, I’m still the director of football in Nigeria and the Football Federation, we will do everything possible because the platform is already there, it doesn’t matter who is in charge but the country first. We don’t have any other country to coach or to play for but the country first.

“So whenever any of us is called upon please do not hesitate. There will be some negative words from social media but it is normal it is the way they feel, the spur of the moment it’s emotions one game can change the whole situation. l know it’s difficult to take but please let us try.

“For the skipper, I appreciate your leadership and the way we’ve gone about this whole thing is unique so let’s enjoy the moment and when we meet our bosses back home they will tell us what the next programme would be.

“At this point I want to say a big thank you to you guys and try to cheer up and we wish ourselves the best of luck God bless you all.”
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: FULL TEXT of Egu's Speech to Players after AFCON ......

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

So we lost because God didn't want us to win. :roll: :roll: :boo:
OCCUPY NFF!!
NationsCup
Egg
Egg

Post by NationsCup »

Not bad at all. And its necessary, for us to move forward.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:11 am So we lost because God didn't want us to win. :roll: :roll: :boo:
Would you rather he use this speech to chastize a player for not taking his chances or snap at Iwoi for chopping a red card?

There is a time for everything and a coach is doing what he can to lift the spirit of the players...That's leadership

They need that encouragement for the WC qualifiers next month
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

We are now celebrating a loser's speech?
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

txj wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:09 pm We are now celebrating a loser's speech?
Yours is the 4th response all day, doesn't feel like a celebration to me...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!