Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:00 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rest in Peace SUYA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:44 pm 

Alaafin wrote:
May his soul rest in peace. Amen.

RIP.
Was a true friend behind the scenes. One of the few C.E's I spoke to over the phone. Didn't his dad just pass away recently? Life is try short.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:56 pm 

Ogolo The Great wrote:
Alaafin wrote:

RIP.
Was a true friend behind the scenes. One of the few C.E's I spoke to over the phone. Didn't his dad just pass away recently? Life is try short.

I remember serving as mediator for many of your battles.

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:20 pm 

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Ogolo The Great wrote:
Alaafin wrote:

RIP.

He sure was. We spoke over the phone quite a few times and I actually joked with him that should I visit Naija, I would pass by his place. This is truly shocking. He embodied the true spirit of the Germans and my Igbo people.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:40 pm 

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
wale1974 wrote:
Sleep well Oga Suya

Wale, welcome back. I confused you with BigP

Thanks my Brother.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:43 pm 

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Ogolo The Great wrote:
Alaafin wrote:

RIP.

You sure did!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:48 am 

Admins/Mods, a suggestion.

A new forum called Suya Spot in memory of our fallen comrade. This obituary can be there with all the threads that he started. Those that have pictures of him can post them there too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:37 pm 

cic old boy wrote:
Admins/Mods, a suggestion.

A new forum called Suya Spot in memory of our fallen comrade. This obituary can be there with all the threads that he started. Those that have pictures of him can post them there too.

excellent suggestion! :agree: :agree: :agree:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:26 am 

Donations should also be made in Suya's name to wounded Biafran veterans. We know his passion for that group.

Cmoke

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:01 am 

Was never opportuned to meet the big guy but known him as a CE household name from the Ezboard Allard days...

It's really sad to hear of his demise. Condolences to his family and loved ones he has left behind. First Solowe, now SUYA, losing my Mum too, it sure has been one heck of a tough year.

May his gentle soul rest in peace..

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:35 am 

My apologies for arriving on this thread very late. I had written on the initial thread started by Pa J and did not realize the existence of this one.

I go way back with SUYA. SUYA was one of the very first Cyber Eagles, just after Allard had started the original site following the World Cup of 1998, I believe. SUYA, at the time, was one of the engines of Cyber Eagles. He dedicated his energy and time helping to build up this site. Of course, that also led to some famous battles. The one I recall vividly is a battle with a mutual friend, Agbako that led to SUYA's famous retort to Agbako titled Agbako Don Yak My Chain.

Ultimately, SUYA was a guy who will go the length to support his friends. I recall that he was fully supportive when I launched my first book on the Super Eagles and spoke at length on the book during the launch at Howard University at the time. He was then at the Voice of America (VOA). He left later to return to Nigeria where he joined SuperSport.com writing sports on the web. At the time, he wrote a widely read article on the build up to and the famous 1990s' continental contest between Enugu Rangers and Ibadan Shooting Stars. SUYA had the ability to write as if he was painting a picture. It was so vivid reading his work

In my view, SUYA was a football fan and journalist to the core. I definitely will miss him and his work. Rest In Peace, my brother SUYA. Of course, we all look forward to meeting with you later. Good night.

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:54 am 

Enugu II wrote:
My apologies for arriving on this thread very late. I had written on the initial thread started by Pa J and did not realize the existence of this one.

I go way back with SUYA. SUYA was one of the very first Cyber Eagles, just after Allard had started the original site following the World Cup of 1998, I believe. SUYA, at the time, was one of the engines of Cyber Eagles. He dedicated his energy and time helping to build up this site. Of course, that also led to some famous battles. The one I recall vividly is a battle with a mutual friend, Agbako that led to SUYA's famous retort to Agbako titled Agbako Don Yak My Chain.

Ultimately, SUYA was a guy who will go the length to support his friends. I recall that he was fully supportive when I launched my first book on the Super Eagles and spoke at length on the book during the launch at Howard University at the time. He was then at the Voice of America (VOA). He left later to return to Nigeria where he joined SuperSport.com writing sports on the web. At the time, he wrote a widely read article on the build up to and the famous 1990s' continental contest between Enugu Rangers and Ibadan Shooting Stars. SUYA had the ability to write as if he was painting a picture. It was so vivid reading his work

In my view, SUYA was a football fan and journalist to the core. I definitely will miss him and his work. Rest In Peace, my brother SUYA. Of course, we all look forward to meeting with you later. Good night.

Enugu II, I think you may be mistaken in thinking CE started after the 1998 WC. Unless my memory serves me ill, I recall people on the site discussing the unfortunate game with Denmark and blaming Bora for removing Adepoju from midfield and sending him to right back in place of Mobi Oparaku and thus leaving gaping holes in our midfield for the Danes to exploit.

I think Allard founded the site after the 1996 Olympics. I know I rejoined the site as ohsee (I originally was ossie but forgot my password) sometime in 1998. I could be wrong. Memory does play tricks as we age.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:04 am 

Rip another member lost!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:14 pm 

Very sad news. RIP Suya.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:45 pm 

May the almighty grant him eternal rest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:45 pm 

ohsee wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Enugu II, I think you may be mistaken in thinking CE started after the 1998 WC. Unless my memory serves me ill, I recall people on the site discussing the unfortunate game with Denmark and blaming Bora for removing Adepoju from midfield and sending him to right back in place of Mobi Oparaku and thus leaving gaping holes in our midfield for the Danes to exploit.

I think Allard founded the site after the 1996 Olympics. I know I rejoined the site as ohsee (I originally was ossie but forgot my password) sometime in 1998. I could be wrong. Memory does play tricks as we age.

You may be correct. It was possibly after the 1994 World Cup. SUYA at the time went by the name COOL ??? Not sure the other part of his moniker at the time.

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:04 pm 

Well, this is something of a blow, reading this sad news today. I seldom visit the site anymore and was never a prolific poster here but I enjoyed the back and forth of the stalwarts whenever they posted. And Suya was definitely amongst the biggest of them. It was hard to miss his wit, his insight, and his economy of language. Even if I did not always agree with his points of view, I loved being able to see where they led. What a void we now have to fill.

May he rest in peace. May those who knew him and loved him well in this life know comfort at his passing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:38 pm 

Oh wow! Oh wow!

SUYA along with characters like PapaK and Riversboy was one of the main reasons I would log onto CE back in the day.

Rest in perfect peace Sir. My thoughts and prayers are with those he left behind.

Nkono, Kunde, Massing, Tataw, Ebwelle , Pagal,Mbida, Mfede, Mbouh,Makanaky,Kana-Biyik,Oman-Biyik, Ekeke, Milla,.....Too Strong to be Intimidated, Too Stong to be defeated! Indomitable!!!! Marc Viven-Foe R.I.P!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:50 am 

So it is true. May he rest in peace in the Kingdom of God. Sad, you read names on the forum and you feel like you know these people even if you never met them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:53 am 

ohsee wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

you are VERY correct. I joined in 1998, but around Feb. Yes, the site predates the 1998 WC. So na you be the Ossie wey dey cause trouble in those days? You sef had some "banning" battles with SUYA back then. I think his original handles included Cool Zulu, Rodney Lassiter....

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:53 am 

aranka5 wrote:
May the almighty grant him eternal rest.

Bro, na you be this?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:56 am 

Enugu II wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

You may be correct. It was possibly after the 1994 World Cup. SUYA at the time went by the name COOL ??? Not sure the other part of his moniker at the time.

After 1996 Olympics. Suya was Cool Zulu. But he joined circa 1998. Unless he was quiet, which he wasn't, he joined after me....with a BANG! He was already trading yabbies with PaJ as if they were buddies, though I later found out they didnt even know each other,

I remember when he seriously hurt himself and was hospitalized while playing ice hockey.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:35 am 

Bro, so sorry for your loss. I pray you find the strength to keep moving on. I've lost both parents and two siblings one of who I had to bury myself in 2008, a young man in his prime lost to the failed medical system in Naija. Oh well. May God keep you in His grace.

Tobi17 wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
Wow RIP...what a year... we lost solowe, now Suya...what a 2020. My only sister also passed in August ...nah real wah...may the lord comfort us all. Enjoy your lives folks , it precious and short.

BP,

Bro I can definitely relate... losing and seeing my own sister been buried hit me on a different level of reality, I also lost my dad at age 14 (he died right in my presence), but I somehow managed to get over that tragic chapter in my life... But life has been cruel to me man, I don't know what energy is keeping me from ending my life, but it to be the sustaining grace of God. It is well, this to shall pass

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:44 am 

SUYA was one of the first US based CE's I met after relocating to Yankee in the early 2000s. It was a no-brainer really because SUYA was a real enigma, a giant of a man who commanded his audience and had full grasp of the subject matter especially where sports the arts are involved. I recall meeting him in DC when he was still working at a media house, I think NPR and though I was in town for a convention, he found time to come and meet me. The last time we met was in Naija and little did I know it would be the last.
How I wish I had kept in touch on a more regular basis and pick up the phone every now and then to call outside the infrequent comments on his FB Inside The Net posts. I guess that is now for the hereafter.

A truly all round great guy with a wicked sense of humor, rest in peace Iwedi SUYA Ojinmah!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next