The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2018/2019

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2018/2

Post by Siddonlook11 »

lawd have mercy and rescure our thread ( oops season also ) from the haters o.

But I no dey go othe teams thread go hate o o, make una spare one arsenal fan all this hatorade abeg :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

We gats game today and Valencia will be looking to score two goals and not concede... Our strikes need to take the few chances that will come their way today cause they will be few.

Oya awon boys - you can do this. lets go. :clap: :clap: :clap:
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Nkume wrote:Image
Back when you can only field 3 foreign players.......what a team.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

kajifu wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
ojafranpa wrote:Waffi i heard we are looking at Scott Fraser of Bournemouth really ? Emery can't be trusted with transfer.
the guy has the 2nd most assist in the EPl.... list the highest assist player from assnal... you people actually think you can attract bigger players ..smh
Why so negative about beloved?You have decided to attack all beloved fans ,why not leave us alone during this tough time we are facing?
Chelsea is your club but you have decided not to post there.
Truth is bitter......beloved sucks.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Blukyt wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Blukyt wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Blukyt wrote:Arsenal/Arsene used to be brilliant and spotting talent early and acquiring them. Some big no brainer misses that really shocked me.
VVD was at Celtic and was passed up on, along with Wanyama.

I actually hoped Wenger would step and down and personally approach Klopp to take over from him when he left Dortmund.
Pocchetino was doing great things with young players on a budget at Southampton, I thought there is another perfect candidate to take over from Wenger but no. Seeing them do what they are doing at the respectively clubs is really painful to watch I won't even lie.
Not to worry these things go in circles, we need to get things right internally at our club first. Hopefully, we continue this summer with internal structural changes.

You forget, we are in transition, we have sold a lot of players bringing in a lot of players. We are not far off.
I am not confident that the club can make the right decisions to get back competing at an elite level. They have shown form with so very stupid decision like what I already mentioned. Investing badly, buying substandard players and throwing big money at players that are giving very little in return and now will struggling to shift them. "We are not far off"? Sorry not buying that at all. We are have been regressing while they have zoomed past us. In reality we are competing with the Wolves and Evertons.
This is not a time for emotions. When you say spending big money, this big money is relative to which other clubs? When you compare our so called big money spend to the real competition, we are where we deserve to be.

Let's look at facts. Arsenal have been to a CL final. So it is not unique to us. Since Arsenal won the FA Cup in May 2017, there have been major changes at the club, especially with players.

In 4 transfer windows, 19 players from the squad that finished the 2016/17 season have departed. In effect, they have sold and loaned out almost a whole squad of players. This is a high turnover of players and the speed of departures also.

In the summer 2017 and Jan 2018 windows, these players left: Gibbs, Gabriel, Ox, Coquelin, Sanchez, Walcott, Giroud Debuchy, Szczesny and Sanogo.

Same windows saw the following arrivals: Lacazette, Aubameyang, Mavprovanos, Mikh and Kolasinac.

That makes 10 sold, 5 bought.

The 2018 summer and Jan 2019 window saw these players left: Santi, Per, Wilshere, Perez, Campbell and Akpom.

These players arrive: Sokratis, Leno, Torreira, Guendouzi, Lichtsteiner and Suarez (Loan)

The next 2 windows 6 left and we bought 5. Making a total on 16 players departed, 10 players purchased.

When you add players currently on loan; Chambers and Ospinna and Martinez. That makes 19 players who have featured in our first team gone in 4 windows. That is a lot of departures, but what is worse is, we have only 10 players purchased into the squad.

We also know Ramsey, Welbeck and Cech are leaving. So after 5 windows the only senior players from May 2017 are: Ozil, Xhaka, Mustafi, Monreal, Kos and Bellerin. In this period players like ElNeny, Iwobi, Holding and Niles also came into the squad but as fringe players. These players have made up for the 9 players we sold and not replaced in the transfer market. So add the arrivals plus the senior players and fringe players, you have our current squad. This is grossly inadequate and you see why we struggle.

When you do cold hard analysis like this, you can start to pinpoint the problems and see our squad is grossly inadequate but also in the process of much needed rebuild.

I am not emotional, we have a new man and we must continue our rebuild. I have heard rumours of having little money to spend, I cannot see how that is possible. From my analysis of the accounts we have at least £100m to spend without CL football.

This summer is huge for Arsenal.
Your analysis of the squad is correct and part of what gives no confidence. Look at the squad we have ended up with. The players we have right now will not get it done. Yes, we are rebuilding and it will take time. At the moment I have no issue with the new management and I am willing to let them get on with the rebuilding although I am not confident based on how the club has handled transfers and contracts in recent years.

But when you say we are not far off. I struggle to see how you arrive at this.
It depends on how you look at it. It the cup half full or half empty? The current situation has up sides and downsides.

A major upside. We have Lacazette and Aubameyang. Don't forget this is their first full season together. They have carried us this season. They have been directly (goals and assists) and indirectly (the key pass leading to the assist) involved in 64% of our goals. Imagine where we will be without them. We must keep them at all cost. We do, that is an excellent start.

We have some good players who need better players around them to get to the next level. By this I mean quality players who make runs and take away markers creating spaces for team mates, quality players, who can see and release a quick pass to a team mate in space etc, players like Bellerin, Holding, Sokratis, Niles, Iwobi, Guendouzi and Xhaka will benefit from quality like Umtiti, Rabiot or Diego Godin.

We need a CD like Umtiti or Diego Gordin next to Sokratis. In the wide positions we need a top class option with goals and Assists. In CM, we need a strong running tough tackling athletic type with good touch, passing range and good technique. Go get me Rabiot. If we get 3 Auba or Laca like players in these positions, we are in business. We can then augment the top young quality from mid range clubs but with experience.

Do we have the money, yes, we do. We have reserve cash balance of £281m, £100m from that plus another from the cash reserves we are in business. This is why I say we are not far off. By far off, I meant top 4. This should be our first goal, then we build again.

This is just down to the Owner and what he wants to do.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Gooner1 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:....if we gooners are to be honest with ourselves.....we need to ask the right questions.......
how have TOTO made it to the UCL finals with near to no investment in the transfer market this summer?
how have they done it whilst upgrading their stadium?
how have they been able to hang on to their best players?
how have they been able to buy players without statsdna :rotf: :rotf: ?
No questions to ask. Once in a while you get a set of talented players. It has taken Spurs over 20 years to get there.

In that time Arsenal have done the same and won a lot of silverware. Let us see how long Spurs can sustain being in the top 4 and CL. Arsenal did for 22 years consecutively but it was not enough for you and many others here.

Why do you even mention as some sort of example for us? On what basis? What have they done that we have not done and more? Are Spurs league title contenders? They are not. They got to the final of a knockout competition, we have done it too.

You and others demeaned every Wenger win, claiming Wenger has not won the league etc. Now you are celebrating Spurs being in the final. That's hypocrisy.
....✋ you need to stop throwing insults at me.....it's very childish and uncouth.....if you don't want to have a mature discussion about how to improve our fortunes as a club, then kick the dust of your shoes and keep it moving.....
Wenger cannot compete with the machinations of modern day football, he has proved this to be true.....that's why he had to go....deal with it....
For the last time........don't say things I didn't say........
Not an insult, just stating facts. You may not like me calling you out, but I will. Because I recall vividly our debates on these issues. You cannot in one breath demand we win the league to keep a manager and then turn around moaning and using another club getting to a final as yardstick when you demeaned Wenger for getting to the final and not winning the CL.

The same club you are now using as a yardstick for success, are not and have never been league contenders. But for a certain Manager, only winning it was good enough.

My point remains, why are all the things you said were not good enough suddenly now good enough. What does that make you?

Okay, since I touched a raw nerve. I will use the word inconsistent. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :lol: :lol: :lol:
...u never touched a raw nerve......I just want to put u in check when you claim something I did not say, then u base your whole thesis on the premise of something I never said in the first place.....whether it's TOTO, Chelshyt, Leicester......the argument remains the same.....wenger is gone and thankfully so.......
Absolute rubbish. Don't twist the issue. You posted using Spurs final as a yardstick, I called you out, because it represented a considerable shift in your position to the times Wenger was around when you talked about it all being about winning.

You use to complain about top 4 and CL qualification as a bad thing because we will not win it, so what is the point.

You said here many a time, the objective was to win. To you it was all about winning. So it is hypocritical to now use a club that has won and achieved what we once did as something to aspire to.

This is my point, and it remains my point. You suddenly changing your tune and asking we use a club that qualifies for top 4, not win a thing as a yardstick because they got to the final is arrant hypocrisy.

You are upset I used used the word hypocrisy. I then used the word inconsistent mockingly. BTW! I did not call you any names, but you still got angry because I called out your actions. Be angry, it does not change my position and the fact that I am right.
.....again, ask anyone here and they will tell you whether I am upset or not :lol: :lol:
....not in the slightest my dear waffi......
What I will do is call you out whenever you make such stupid statements, to goad.... so that you can 'win' an argument
Firstly.....I wasn't arguing with u or anyone here....been there, done that.....but it seems to me that you are spoiling for a forum fight, which I will not entertain.....I have not changed my tune, Wenger had ample opportunity to win the EPL on several occasions and fell flat on his face.....end of
ALL teams that have visibly improved for all to see must be looked at and analysed whether they are Barcas/Reals/Citys of this world

TOTO is not an exception.....you just cannot disregard their improvements simply because they are local rivals, no
When Wenger was winning, they studied his success and implemented some of the clubs methods into their own, not just arsenal, but all successful clubs......now it is our turn to study others
......so stop whining over spilt milk, trying to win battles already lost that no one care about, only u in your little world......sheesh :roll:
Wenger won it 3 times, including winning it at their ground. Have they won it? Why should they be a yardstick?

I have not disregarded a thing. I have not said they have not improved. I have called out your double speak.

You talked about winning as the only thing that matters when you wanted Wenger out, yet you now use a club that has won nothing as a yardstick for Arsenal. That is hypocrisy, and you cannot get away from that. I will continue banging the drum because I am right and if you want me to provide proof of you saying winning is the only thing here, I will search for it and provide it.
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

Gooner_Nation - almost time to rock & roll - no bad vibes - stay believers - we've got this!!!
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

danfo driver wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Oh! I think it is time I come out to deal with scum in this place. I have been too gentle of late. The trolls have had their time, pissing their pathetic, swine, filth in this thread. Time to fight fire with fire.

‘Bouta do a remontada on them?
About time.
Ah! One soldier! Ready to fight behind una god abi? You know sey Waffi man na short man? right? You know what has happened to all short dictators in history? Napoleon? Mussolini? Hitler and Abacha? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Are you are tribalist? You are a little Hitler and I will show you are.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

Can someone pls furnish a link where peeps like me in Naira can watch?
Europa League is not on DSTV.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

I hope we're prepared for the set pieces they used effectively in the 1st leg plus we need some set piece tricks of our own!!! :thumb:
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Unfortunately I have become a non-believer in this team lately. I hope to be proven wrong today.
The last few weeks have just been too painful to watch.
tolahs wrote:I hope we're prepared for the set pieces they used effectively in the 1st leg plus we need some set piece tricks of our own!!! :thumb:
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

waffiman wrote:
Wenger won it 3 times, including winning it at their ground. Have they won it? Why should they be a yardstick?

I have not disregarded a thing. I have not said they have not improved. I have called out your double speak.

You talked about winning as the only thing that matters when you wanted Wenger out, yet you now use a club that has won nothing as a yardstick for Arsenal. That is hypocrisy, and you cannot get away from that. I will continue banging the drum because I am right and if you want me to provide proof of you saying winning is the only thing here, I will search for it and provide it.
......there you go again putting words into my mouth..... I using TOTO as a yardstick?? :lol: :lol: by starting a discussion as to how they have improved as a team?....did I say anything as regards them winning trophies?
.....I will save you the time.....winning titles is the only thing that matters, end of.....
.....afc is a bigger club than TOTO, end of....
.....currently TOTO have a better team than afc.....end of
.....TOTO have improved as a team, afc have declined as a team.....end of
as I previously said, gooners have to be honest with themselves as to where the club is going
as for u...
u and I both know what u are doing.....u are playing to the gallery, trying to impress those here with soundbites......there's nothing to expose, it's all in your mind......now go sit down & watch the game, support the players and manager.....
Last edited by Gooner1 on Thu May 09, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Emery has setup his best lineup. He will sink or be a hero with this team today.
I have to admit, I'm not optimistic at all ...
Bepanda
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Come on you Gunners!!! We can do this
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Our counters have to be on point
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Hmmm...we better survive this onslaught o
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Settle down boys
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Chaiii...e don happen
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

Horrible goal to concede. Now we gotta play ball
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Emeribe na otile! Kai!
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

They are picking on AMN ...we are all over the place. This could be a shellacking in the making if we don't pull our heads outta our asses
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Auba!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

AubaGoal!!!!!
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Auba steps up 1-1 but a longggggggggggggggg way to go.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'