Russia banned from all sports - will miss 2022 WC

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet
Russia banned from all sports - will miss 2022 WC

Post by Orion »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/50710598

Russia banned for four years to include 2020 Olympics and 2022 World Cup

Russia has been handed a four-year ban from all major sporting events by the World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada).

It means the Russia flag and anthem will not be allowed at events such as the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics and football's 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

But athletes who can prove they are untainted by the doping scandal will be able to compete under a neutral flag.

Russian prime minister Dmitry Medvedev said the ban was part of "chronic anti-Russian hysteria".

"It is obvious that significant doping problems still exist in Russia, I mean our sporting community," he said. "This is impossible to deny.

"But on the other hand the fact that all these decisions are repeated, often affecting athletes who have already been punished in one way or another, not to mention some other points - of course this makes one think that this is part of anti-Russian hysteria which has become chronic."

Wada's executive committee made the unanimous decision to impose the ban on Russia in a meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland, on Monday.

It comes after Russia's Anti Doping Agency (Rusada) was declared non-compliant for manipulating laboratory data handed over to investigators in January 2019.

It had to hand over data to Wada as a condition of its controversial reinstatement in 2018 after a three-year suspension for its vast state-sponsored doping scandal.

Wada says Rusada has 21 days to appeal against the ban. If it does so, the appeal will be referred to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas).

Wada president Sir Craig Reedie said the decision showed its "determination to act resolutely in the face of the Russian doping crisis".

He added: "For too long, Russian doping has detracted from clean sport. The blatant breach by the Russian authorities of Rusada's reinstatement conditions demanded a robust response.

"That is exactly what has been delivered.

"Russia was afforded every opportunity to get its house in order and re-join the global anti-doping community for the good of its athletes and of the integrity of sport, but it chose instead to continue in its stance of deception and denial."

But Wada vice-president Linda Helleland said the ban was "not enough".

"I wanted sanctions that can not be watered down," she said. "We owe it to the clean athletes to implement the sanctions as strongly as possible."

A total of 168 Russian athletes competed under a neutral flag at the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang after the country was banned following the 2014 Games, which it hosted in Sochi. Russian athletes won 33 medals in Sochi, 13 of which were gold.

Russia has been banned from competing as a nation in athletics since 2015.

Despite the ban, Russia will be able to compete at Euro 2020 - in which St Petersburg will be a host city - as European football's governing body Uefa is not defined as a 'major event organisation' with regards to rulings on anti-doping breaches.

Fifa said it had "taken note" of Wada's decision, adding: "Fifa is in contact with Wada to clarify the extent of the decision in regards to football."

In a statement, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) said: "Those responsible for the manipulation of data from the Moscow laboratory before it was transferred to Wada appear to have done everything possible to undermine the principles of fair and clean sport, principles that the rest of the sporting world support and adhere to.

"This sincere lack of respect towards the rest of the global sporting movement is not welcome and has zero place in the world of sport. It is only right that those responsible for this data manipulation are punished."

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said it "supported" Wada's decision.

How did we get here?

Rusada was initially declared non-compliant in November 2015 after a Wada-commissioned report by sports lawyer Professor Richard McLaren alleged widespread corruption that amounted to state-sponsored doping in Russian track and field athletics.

A further report, published in July 2016, declared Russia operated a state-sponsored doping programme for four years across the "vast majority" of summer and winter Olympic sports.

In 2018, Wada reinstated Rusada as compliant after the national agency agreed to release data from its Moscow laboratory from the period between January 2012 and August 2015.

However, positive findings contained in a version courtesy of a whistleblower in 2017 were missing from the January 2019 data, which prompted a new inquiry.

Wada's compliance review committee (CRC) recommended a raft of measures based "in particular" on a forensic review of inconsistencies found in some of that data.

As part of the ban, Russia may not host, or bid for or be granted the right to host any major events for four years, including the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games.

What was the reaction?

UK Anti-Doping (Ukad) chief executive, Nicole Sapstead said Wada's decision to impose a ban on Russia was the "only possible outcome" to "reassure athletes and the public and continue the task of seeking justice for those cheated by Russian athletes".

However, Travis Tygart, chief executive of the US Anti-Doping Agency, said not imposing a blanket ban on all participation by Russian athletes - even under a neutral flag - is a "devastating blow" to clean athletes.

"The reaction by all those who value sport should be nothing short of a revolt against this broken system to force reform," he said.

"Wada promised the world back in 2018 that if Russia failed yet again to live up to its agreements, it would use the toughest sanction under the rules. Yet, here we go again; Wada says one thing and does something entirely different.

"There is no disputing that Russia has committed the most intentional, deep and broad level of corruption on the entire sports world that has put money over morals, abuse over health and corruption over the Olympic values and all athletes' dreams.

"Now clean athletes, sports fans and sponsors are having to suffer through another horrendous Groundhog Day of Russian corruption and domination."
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Russia banned from all sports - will miss 2022 WC

Post by Scipio Africanus »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Their cheating has caught up with them. The most painful ban is the WC one. That one will hurt. :lol:

Wha choo looking at?!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Fake news. Trump will allow them back in. Ukraine committed the doping offence
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Scipio Africanus wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Their cheating has caught up with them. The most painful ban is the WC one. That one will hurt. :lol:
Not sure how much it would hurt them, but am sure a lot of us are aware it's world politics at play.
Haven't heard any noises from Syria lately, so this is no surprise.

Yawn.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

benteke wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote::rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Their cheating has caught up with them. The most painful ban is the WC one. That one will hurt. :lol:
Not sure how much it would hurt them, but am sure a lot of us are aware it's world politics at play.

Yawn.
I am not that aware! Care to walk some of us - "slow thinkers"- through your thought process?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

benteke wrote:

Yawn.
Russia are proven dopers and cheats in sports, end of. Please take the Syria stuff to Eagles Nest :arrow:

Wha choo looking at?!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
benteke wrote:

Yawn.
Russia are proven dopers and cheats in sports, end of. Please take the Syria stuff to Eagles Nest :arrow:

don't mind him
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

FIFA just asked the courts for clarification on the ban.
sayala
Egg
Egg

Post by sayala »

From what I am reading, russia could still be allowed to play in the WC. However they will not be allowed to call themselves Russia or make official use of the russian flag. Anything is possible at this point.

If this happens however, I am sure putin will ensure that the russian media still refers to this team as russia and that there are russian fans waving russian flags on the terraces. The whole ban could become a farce.

The only global body that seems to have the cojones to ban russia is World Athletics aka IAAF

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/rus ... 53iff.html
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

sayala wrote:From what I am reading, russia could still be allowed to play in the WC. However they will not be allowed to call themselves Russia or make official use of the russian flag. Anything is possible at this point.

If this happens however, I am sure putin will ensure that the russian media still refers to this team as russia and that there are russian fans waving russian flags on the terraces. The whole ban could become a farce.

The only global body that seems to have the cojones to ban russia is World Athletics aka IAAF

Actually, I think Putin will not allow Russia to participate if they can't be called Russia or fly the Russian flag. The man's ego is too big for that.
sayala
Egg
Egg

Post by sayala »

Orion wrote:
sayala wrote:From what I am reading, russia could still be allowed to play in the WC. However they will not be allowed to call themselves Russia or make official use of the russian flag. Anything is possible at this point.

Actually, I think Putin will not allow Russia to participate if they can't be called Russia or fly the Russian flag. The man's ego is too big for that.
If russia is not at the world cup, many russians will be extremely unhappy. They will blame putin and the others in charge. putin needs to keep russians happy.
He also needs to show them that russia is still tiumphing over perceived enemies. the russians are framing this ban as part of some geopolitical consipracy against russia. If russia reaches the quarter-final of the 2022 world cup, putin will declare it as a monumental victory as part of his propaganda.
Ipe Grams
Egg
Egg

Post by Ipe Grams »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
benteke wrote:

Yawn.

And what of Nike Oregon Project?
"Are you sure you want to go to red alert? It does mean changing the bulb..."
Kryten to Rimmer, Red Dwarf
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

sayala wrote:
Orion wrote:

If russia is not at the world cup, many russians will be extremely unhappy. They will blame putin and the others in charge. putin needs to keep russians happy.
He also needs to show them that russia is still tiumphing over perceived enemies. the russians are framing this ban as part of some geopolitical consipracy against russia. If russia reaches the quarter-final of the 2022 world cup, putin will declare it as a monumental victory as part of his propaganda.
You think the Russians are fickle and don't recognise the silly politics being played out. The love of mother Russia will not make them miss anything, this is where patriotism comes to the fore.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
sayala
Egg
Egg

Post by sayala »

oloye wrote: You think the Russians are fickle and don't recognise the silly politics being played out. The love of mother Russia will not make them miss anything, this is where patriotism comes to the fore.
The russians who believe that this is a global conspiracy against russia are well and truly brainwashed. But Not every russian falls for the russian disinformation propaganda. Russia cheated at state level. Russia has always cheated on a large scale at state level. The athletes have admitted it. And even the Chairman of RUSADA has admitted that his own country is to blame for this fiasco. WADA is being too lenient with Russia. There should have been a blanket ban on all russian athletes.

As for patriotism, it does not help an athlete earn money so when athletes start losing money because of their government's intransigence, thats when patriotism goes out of the window. And believe me if russia misses the world cup because of this fiasco, russians will be unhappy. You seem to be confusing patriotism with blind loyalty to putin.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

If the ban is based one the old charges, then I think this ban is excessive and geo politically motivated.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

One only has to read the whataboutisms on this thread to realize why our country is infested with corruption. :curse:

Wha choo looking at?!
sayala
Egg
Egg

Post by sayala »

ohenhen1 wrote:If the ban is based one the old charges, then I think this ban is excessive and geo politically motivated.
Its not based on old charges. In fact after state sponsored doping was discovered. Russia was given a get out of jail card. All they had to do was submit their testing data. Instead they manipulated the data, deleting key elements in typical russian style and thought they could get away with yet more corruption.

Imagine a pickpocket showing up at a parole board meeting. And instead of being contrite and promising to behave themselves, they try to pick the pocket of one of the parole board members. They are caught in the act and still flat out deny it and refuse to reform?

You can't make this sheet up. It only happens in cartoons like "The Simpsons". And after all this, WADA is still being lenient with russia. I would issue a complete ban.
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

sayala wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:If the ban is based one the old charges, then I think this ban is excessive and geo politically motivated.
Its not based on old charges. In fact after state sponsored doping was discovered. Russia was given a get out of jail card. All they had to do was submit their testing data. Instead they manipulated the data, deleting key elements in typical russian style and thought they could get away with yet more corruption.

Imagine a pickpocket showing up at a parole board meeting. And instead of being contrite and promising to behave themselves, they try to pick the pocket of one of the parole board members. They are caught in the act and still flat out deny it and refuse to reform?

You can't make this sheet up. It only happens in cartoons like "The Simpsons". And after all this, WADA is still being lenient with russia. I would issue a complete ban.
Hm, does that MO sound familiar? His name starts with T and he is the president of a major nation.

Wha choo looking at?!
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Scipio Africanus wrote:One only has to read the whataboutisms on this thread to realize why our country is infested with corruption. :curse:
For some people, Russia can do no wrong. Everything is politicised, even when there is clear evidence, and the victims are ignored in a callous way.

Interestingly, the same people are often not willing to give Nigeria/Africa the same pass. Whenever we're slapped for some wrong we've done, they say we deserve it.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

They can do this in IAAF and Olympics but not World Cup I think.
sayala
Egg
Egg

Post by sayala »

While some people are still reading conspiracy theories, more Russian athletes have come forward to blame their own officials for this fiasco. Mariya Lasitskene , former world high jump champion, puts the blame squarely on Russian officials
"Have we done an internal investigation? Who was punished?" Lasitskene said.

"Why is our athletics still using banned substances, and coaches of athletes caught doping are still working while officials in charge are falsifying official documents?"
"I'd like to know, what have the sports ministry and the Russian Olympic Committee done to protect me personally?" she said.

"You created so many commissions but I cannot find any reports of their accomplishments," she added.

"Who is at fault? And who will return to me what I have lost?"
https://www.news18.com/news/sports/russ ... 19667.html
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Orion wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:One only has to read the whataboutisms on this thread to realize why our country is infested with corruption. :curse:
For some people, Russia can do no wrong. Everything is politicised, even when there is clear evidence, and the victims are ignored in a callous way.

Interestingly, the same people are often not willing to give Nigeria/Africa the same pass. Whenever we're slapped for some wrong we've done, they say we deserve it.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
We had this same identical debate over the Russian involvement in the shooting down of the Malaysian passenger plane over Ukraine...
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Lol. Na today? Nigeria we hail thee :lol: :agree: