Mauritania vs Algeria (1-0) FT( They make history)

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mauritania vs Algeria (1-0)

Post by green4life »

danfo driver wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:53 pm
airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:29 pm Ol boy Mahrez is so unfit
They told us that when you go to Saudi, you will be fine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birth certificate nko? Just saying .. :mrgreen:
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Mauritania vs Algeria (1-0) FT( They make history)

Post by airwolex »

Maybe the SE is stronger than we think. These so called minnows are playing very well.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Unfortunately for them, VAR has put an end to their shenanigans.

I am very happy for Mauritania. They put in a top performance and their goalie is top notch
green4life wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:43 pm
felarey wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:42 pm Algerians shamefully looking for penalty.
Normal :lol:
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Algeria out! Wow! :shock:
There're no giants in African football anymore. Mauritania 's has invested a lot of money in sports infrastructure and its paying off much like Morocco did.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Nigeria side of the bracket looking good. Great if Morocco lose tomorrow.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:57 pm Maybe the SE is stronger than we think. These so called minnows are playing very well.

Or that the quality is even lower than some of us imagined...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Whaaaaooo! Thus, Mauritania beat Algeria? I am surprised beyond mention. I never thought such will happen.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Thus, Algeria goes home as it is
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Our boogey teams are slowly going out: Algeria, Ghana, and to some extent Guinea...hopefully we handle business against Cameroon and we might have a chance.
Olayemi14
Egg
Egg

Post by Olayemi14 »

airwolex wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:57 pm Maybe the SE is stronger than we think. These so called minnows are playing very well.
The so-called minnows are taping into the diaspora just like us. The difference is that we do not really know how good they are especially Cape Verde and Equatorial Guinea. On a good day with compact defending, they will issue bitterness to any naive "big" team.
Active member of the JOM & JM Fan Clubs. Baba Eleran of Chelsea FC.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Riyadh Mahrez might be done with football. He’s won league titles in a top league, won CL and AFCON. Now he’s just sharing briyani bread with Saudi princes. Hindsight is 2020 but Belmadi may not have had the balls to leave him on the bench trailing 1 nil.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Mauritania! Wow now that's how to defend! The main shift that happened with these so called minnows is a mental one. They are all now going into every game with an aim of winning it, and believing they don't deserve any less. In the olden days, once you score them one goal like this, they stop playing and start packing their bags. Easy access to information should also not be underestimated. When you can research every bit of your opponent's info and your own training techniques ahead of time, then there is nothing to fear as u already know what to expect.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

I gave up watching this game as it was obvious the Algerians were not mentally in this competition.

IMO, most North African countries think they aren't part of Africa and only take the AFCON seriously when it's held in a North African country. I think the North African players born in Europe are even worse at this.

The only exception is Egypt. Egypt sees itself as a leader in Africa, so take the AFCON seriously.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Orion wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:35 am I gave up watching this game as it was obvious the Algerians were not mentally in this competition.

IMO, most North African countries think they aren't part of Africa and only take the AFCON seriously when it's held in a North African country. I think the North African players born in Europe are even worse at this.

The only exception is Egypt. Egypt sees itself as a leader in Africa, so take the AFCON seriously.
what!!!! this makes no sense. If they do not take it seriously, why the heck are they sending their top players.? Stop making up stuff. The heat in CIV has been a major factor for the likes of teams from the North. Even many West African teams are suffering from the heat. North Africans hardly do well when AFCON is in the west ( except Egypt)
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Bigpokey24 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:45 am
Orion wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 1:35 am I gave up watching this game as it was obvious the Algerians were not mentally in this competition.

what!!!! this makes no sense. If they do not take it seriously, why the heck are they sending their top players.? Stop making up stuff. The heat in CIV has been a major factor for the likes of teams from the North. Even many West African teams are suffering from the heat. North Africans hardly do well when AFCON is in the west ( except Egypt)

Imagine. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

The heat is a major factor for everyone, not only the teams from the North.

We'll have to see how this plays out but it's possible other teams have simply caught up to the previous powers of African football. All the sides appear to be better coached and more organized.

Also, we shouldn't underestimate the impact of VAR. It has made refereeing much fairer as well as more difficult for the N African sides to engage in some of the dark arts of football they used to win some games.

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

The players are not mentally there. I can see it from their half-hearted commitment to tackles, so I gave up watching.

I didn't say their FA is fully part of this. It's mostly down to the players. The players have to accept the invitation because they have no choice. They'll get sanctioned by their FA and FIFA if they ignore national team invites. If they ignore AFCON, then they may get dropped from the WCQers. Also, the Algerian FA may get in trouble with the CAF if they use second-rate players for the competition.

This notion that they don't do well in sub-Saharan Africa because of the weather is complete nonsense! Go look at their last WCQing games in sub-Saharan Africa. The heat does not stop them from scoring a bucketload of goals. When it comes to the World Cup, we don’t hear of the heat affecting them - if they have a good team. Let's not forget that Algeria once beat us in the mid-afternoon sun in Lagos in a WCQer.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Please stop making excuses and insulting other teams! So becuse its Algeria and they are white, the only way they can lose is because they are "not mentally there?" Nigeria that has been sh1t, how come you didnt make the same excuses for us?

Mauritania, Angola and Burkina deserve respect! Algeria was roundly defeated and thrown out by teams that performed better, thats all! lets show respect to others.
Orion wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:21 am

The players are not mentally there. I can see it from their half-hearted commitment to tackles, so I gave up watching.

I didn't say their FA is fully part of this. It's mostly down to the players. The players have to accept the invitation because they have no choice. They'll get sanctioned by their FA and FIFA if they ignore national team invites. If they ignore AFCON, then they may get dropped from the WCQers. Also, the Algerian FA may get in trouble with the CAF if they use second-rate players for the competition.

This notion that they don't do well in sub-Saharan Africa because of the weather is complete nonsense! Go look at their last WCQing games in sub-Saharan Africa. The heat does not stop them from scoring a bucketload of goals. When it comes to the World Cup, we don’t hear of the heat affecting them - if they have a good team. Let's not forget that Algeria once beat us in the mid-afternoon sun in Lagos in a WCQer.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

If it makes you feel better to believe that, then have at it. :wink:

Yes, when CAR beat us in Lagos, it was because they were just a better side. I wonder why they lost the 2nd leg. :roll:
danfo driver wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 2:39 am Please stop making excuses and insulting other teams! So becuse its Algeria and they are white, the only way they can lose is because they are "not mentally there?" Nigeria that has been sh1t, how come you didnt make the same excuses for us?

Mauritania, Angola and Burkina deserve respect! Algeria was roundly defeated and thrown out by teams that performed better, thats all! lets show respect to others.

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I am with Danfo on this one. They were beaten fair and square. The idea that they were not interested in the tourney is ludicrous.

airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Orion,

The minnows have just closed the gap. Ghana was very invested in the tournament. Morocco is so invested they fought the Congo after the game. CIV are obviously invested; surely you don't think they enjoyed losing badly at home.

I saw Mahrez pulling out of tackles, but all the other Algerians gave their all, just weren't up to the task.

Olayemi said it. The minnows have better players and the talent gap isn't that great. Take the Cameroon V Gambia game. The Gambians actually have experienced and capable players scattered all over the globe, while Cameroon has regressed a tad bit.

I was a bit surprised with the profile of some of the Gambia, they are not quite top-notch, but these are seasoned professionals.

The second best team in the tourney after Senegal is Cape Verde. Underestimate them at your peril, they are capable of beating any team in Africa right now.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Olayemi14 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 11:08 pm
The so-called minnows are taping into the diaspora just like us. The difference is that we do not really know how good they are especially Cape Verde and Equatorial Guinea. On a good day with compact defending, they will issue bitterness to any naive "big" team.
Absolutely.
While Nigeria is still arguing and calling their own diaspora players ‘rejects’. :sleep:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Mahrez is collecting big cash at club level to throw a step over, cut inside, play a slide-rule pass and track back with the commitment of the 1990s Seleção’s Romario after two wraps of pounded yam washed down with odeku. Large.

On a wider scale, the quality at the top is regressing and that at the bottom giving chase. The perfect storm for a frivolously exciting AfCON, end to end like NBA jam, packed full of bonkers and all the trimmings.