Has anyone here been watching the Asian Cup?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Has anyone here been watching the Asian Cup?

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

[1] What a lot of you may not know is that the Asian Cup is taking place concurrently with the African Cup of Nations

[2] Hosts Qatar will face Jordan in the final this weekend

[3] Jordan pulled off s shock win over South Korea in the semi finals

[4] Qatar too stunned everyone beating Iran in the other semi final

[5] One NFF official who has been watching that tournament, told me the quality of football there is far higher than what prevails in the African Cup of Nations

[6] It seems we are not aware of it but Asia is now playing better football than Africa

[7] With the 2026 World Cup looming this should be a concern

[8] I must confess, none of the teams in Ivory Coast have impressed me with flair, panache, pace, passing and technical ability

[9] I have also seen to many schoolboy errors from to many players in to many teams to be comfortable about the future

[10] We should not get carried away of the Eagles win this cup on Sunday at it is not yet uhuru, A fourth Nations Cup trophy will only paper over what serious cracks in out football. Ask yourselves if any African team comes close to say Argentina, Brazil, England, Italy, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Croatia, Spain, Portugal, etc.
Last edited by Ayo Akinfe on Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waka-man
Egg
Egg
Re: Has anyone here been watching the Asian Cup?

Post by waka-man »

No
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Absolutely no one
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Not even Asians
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I just hope the NFF contracted somebody to record all the games there. I gather it has been a smashing tournament. Watch:
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:25 pm [1] What a lot of you may not know is that the Asian Cup is taking place concurrently with the African Cup of Nations

[5] One NFF official who has been watching that tournament, told me the quality of football there is far higher than what prevails in the African Cup of Nations

[6] It seems we are not aware of it but Asia is now playing better football than Africa

[8] I must confess, none of the teams in Ivory Coast have impressed me with flair, panache, pace, passing and technical ability

[9] I have also seen to many schoolboy errors from to many players in to many teams to be comfortable about the future

[10] We should not get carried away of the Eagles win this cup on Sunday at it is not yet uhuru, A fourth Nations Cup trophy will only paper over what serious cracks in out football. Ask yourselves if any African team comes close to say Argentina, Brazil, England, Italy, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium, Croatia, Spain, Portugal, etc.
:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This AFCON is decades, decades! ahead of the Asian cup or whatever it is called, in terms of football quality.

Wha choo looking at?!
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Scipio Africanus wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:47 pm
Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:25 pm [1] What a lot of you may not know is that the Asian Cup is taking place concurrently with the African Cup of Nations

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: This AFCON is decades, decades! ahead of the Asian cup or whatever it is called, in terms of football quality.

You need to watch both tournaments before coming out with that kind of statement!
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:47 pm

You need to watch both tournaments before coming out with that kind of statement!
I have watched many of the games. I saw the entirety of South Korea vs Jordan. A catalogue of comical defending errors.

Wha choo looking at?!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Ayo Akinfe wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:31 pm I just hope the NFF contracted somebody to record all the games there. I gather it has been a smashing tournament. Watch:
If this is the best evidence you could find to support your case, then I’m sorry to let you know that, you don’t know footie.

1. Have you seen any AFCON games not involving Nigeria?
2. How many full AFCON games even involving Nigeria, have you actually seen?
3. My first reaction to this clip was, is this a training game?
4. Even a CAF team like S. Sudan will not let anyone score a goal like Jordan’s second goal in this video.
5. If you don’t believe, point number 4 above, ask Vic. Osimhen.
6. See how often defenders hoof the ball away like it’s 1994. FYI, it’s 2024. :lol:
7. BTW, an African team, Morocco, beat your fancied sides at the World Cup.
8. The same Morocco was unceremoniously bundled out of AFCON. Care to explain?
9. True, Nigeria Eagles should not be carried away, but few of these Asian teams can penetrate the Eagles’ parked bus.
10, Your NFF “expert” is either wrong or you mischaracterized their statements. Based on the evidence provided, I suspect the latter.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Ayo Akinfe, you are the most indisciplined octogenarian I know of. Haven’t you ever heard of the World Football forum?

Mods please do the needful🤔❗️

Cheers.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

mods
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Very true. It's not even close. I've watched sone games and the pace is much slower for one. It is an inferior tournament to the AFCON

Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

Must we demonize one competition to elevate the other?
They are played differently, and even though the European
influence has infiltrated a lot of their play and thinking, both
tournaments still showcase why football is one of the ultimate forms
of cultural expression.

The flair, power and robust athleticism of African football
will always be on display despite force feeding European tactical influence.
You can see that sometimes the players struggle as they don’t flow with their
natural God given talent being restrained by trying to adapt to tactics and rein in their instincts.

In the Asian cup you get a mixture of Asian and middle eastern touch albeit, once again, influenced by Euro football tactics, and regional coach’s trying to follow their trends.
The Middle Eastern nations following their style of rhythmic football with a lot emphasis of touches and technique without the ultimate final ball while the Asians are still playing with their natural cultural inclination to dogged hard work and the adaptation to European tactics.

In my opinion, I wish all regions will adapt what works best for them.
Yes, you can adopt, best football practices, but you still need to play to your strengths and what comes natural to you .
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

Can someone slap the NFF official and Ayo for lies upon more lies? I have watched the Asian Cup and the football they are playing is below AFCON standard by a mile. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

Undertaker wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:02 pm

Can someone slap the NFF official and Ayo for lies upon more lies? I have watched the Asian Cup and the football they are playing is below AFCON standard by a mile. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
I’m a big supporter of the Asian games. I even opened a thread for one of the games but this statement from Ayo is not true. In fact I’m leaning to say it’s a lie. We may never get another AFCON as good as this one, from the level of play down to the officiating and VAR has exceeded my expectations.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Sleaky72 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:59 pm Must we demonize one competition to elevate the other?
They are played differently, and even though the European
influence has infiltrated a lot of their play and thinking, both
tournaments still showcase why football is one of the ultimate forms
of cultural expression.

The flair, power and robust athleticism of African football
will always be on display despite force feeding European tactical influence.
You can see that sometimes the players struggle as they don’t flow with their
natural God given talent being restrained by trying to adapt to tactics and rein in their instincts.

In the Asian cup you get a mixture of Asian and middle eastern touch albeit, once again, influenced by Euro football tactics, and regional coach’s trying to follow their trends.
The Middle Eastern nations following their style of rhythmic football with a lot emphasis of touches and technique without the ultimate final ball while the Asians are still playing with their natural cultural inclination to dogged hard work and the adaptation to European tactics.

In my opinion, I wish all regions will adapt what works best for them.
Yes, you can adopt, best football practices, but you still need to play to your strengths and what comes natural to you .
This is about as good an argument as any there is for hiring a competent indigenous coach for the SuperEagles🤔❗️

Cheers.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Qatar awarded three penalties.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Just watched it. That was some atrocious football. Simply not worthy of a continental championship final
Coach wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:00 pm Qatar awarded three penalties.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Undertaker
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Undertaker »

YUJAM wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:05 pm Just watched it. That was some atrocious football. Simply not worthy of a continental championship final
I saw Qatar play Senegal at the 2022 WC, they were the worst team in the tournament. If Qatar is the best in Asia, back to back Asian Cup, then the level in Asia is very poor! Congratulations to Qatar! Very beautiful country and nice people!
I SEE DEAD PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Undertaker wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:47 pm
YUJAM wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:05 pm Just watched it. That was some atrocious football. Simply not worthy of a continental championship final
I saw Qatar play Senegal at the 2022 WC, they were the worst team in the tournament. If Qatar is the best in Asia, back to back Asian Cup, then the level in Asia is very poor! Congratulations to Qatar! Very beautiful country and nice people!
I’m sure you’ve seen Asian teams at the World Cup previously so, you should know that your conclusion isn’t logical, which isn’t surprising because of your faulty premise. I should remind you that Kuwait beat AFCON champions Nigeria 3-1 at the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

The moral of the story is that one game does not establish the level of a whole continent🤔❗️

Cheers.
Last edited by TonyTheTigerKiller on Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
packerland
Egg
Egg

Post by packerland »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:11 pm
Undertaker wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:47 pm
I’m sure you’ve seen Asian teams at the World Cup previously so, you should know that your conclusion isn’t logical, which isn’t surprising because of your faulty premise. I should remind you that Kuwait beat AFCON champions Nigeria 3-1 at the 1980 Moscow Olympics.

The moral of the story is that one game dies not establish the level of a whole continent🤔❗️

Cheers.
Exactly! Asian teams haven’t done too bad at the WC. We saw minnows in Africa like Mauritius and Cape Verde get better but some people don’t want to acknowledge that Asian minnows like Jordan & Uzbekistan are much better now.
"Yea right, we await the beatings the Aussie has for them. The Falcons are just another bad team at the women world cup".....fatpokey Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:34 .