Why did Man United spend 18m on De Gea ?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: Why did Man United spend 18m on De Gea ?

Post by Bigpokey24 »

YemiBrazil wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:03 pm I disagree with Yorkie since this is all about feelings. There are areas where De Gea is better than Onana and there are areas where Onana is better than De Gea. The manager has seen both of them extensively at close quarters. We love Dave and he will remain a club legend but we won't pretend not to see his numerous "miraculous" costly blunders too, so he is human and we can live with that. Onana is our No.1 now and there is nothing anyone can do about that.
wiseone wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:25 pm I agree with Yorkie. Onana is not as good a shot stopper as De Gea. I am not even sure that Onana is a better pure GK than Henderson either. He is better with his feet than both of them, but I have a bad feeling that Man Utd will miss Miracle Dave’s ability to pull off indescribable saves.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: this is just pure hate.... By the Time Onana deals with all his critics, dem go hear am, the bobo will also abuse dem during press interviews
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

wiseone wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:32 pm YemiBrazil - if Man Utd was a dominant ball hogging team like Man City that gets 60-70% possession in most of its games and rarely gives the opposition chances, Onana would be ideal. When you always have the ball you can afford to have a GK who is good with his feet but average at making saves.

Unfortunately, Man Utd is not a dominant ball hogging team. It is a team that gives the opposition loads of chances and that last season conceded 17 goals in only 3 games. A team like that needs a GK who is brilliant at keeping the ball out of the net. In that regard, DDG is elite. He is not the best all round GK in the world, but he is the best shot stopper in the world.

I actually think the overlooked Henderson is a happy medium between DDG and Onana. He is not as good a shot stopper as DDG but is better with his feet and more commanding in the box. He is not as good a ball player as Onana, but is a better shot stopper than him. Henderson is also good at something that DDG is terrible at: saving penalties.
YemiBrazil wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:03 pm
I disagree with Yorkie since this is all about feelings. There are areas where De Gea is better than Onana and there are areas where Onana is better than De Gea. The manager has seen both of them extensively at close quarters. We love Dave and he will remain a club legend but we won't pretend not to see his numerous "miraculous" costly blunders too, so he is human and we can live with that. Onana is our No.1 now and there is nothing anyone can do about that.
Did you just say Onana is average at making saves? 🤦🏾‍♂️
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Wiseone, I made a very important statement above - ETH has seen all these goalkeepers at close quarters and that must have informed his decision.

An emphatic statement that "Man Utd is not a dominant ball hogging team" does not accommodate the fact that the current version of the team is still work in progress at a very early stage. Keep in mind that the likes of Nathan Ake, Stone, Walker, Akanji etc feature prominently for a ball hogging team like Man City, so I don't see any impossibility here with Man United's players.

Maybe getting a GK like Onana is critical in moving to the next stage, we all saw in Houston on Wednesday how Real Madrid players were reluctant to charge at Onana on 50/50 balls. The ones that made the attempt quickly regretted it, a glaring futility. Also, his quick pinpoint passes under pressure is an absolute game changer for Man United. Above all, let's just say time will tell.
wiseone wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:32 pm YemiBrazil - if Man Utd was a dominant ball hogging team like Man City that gets 60-70% possession in most of its games and rarely gives the opposition chances, Onana would be ideal. When you always have the ball you can afford to have a GK who is good with his feet but average at making saves.

Unfortunately, Man Utd is not a dominant ball hogging team. It is a team that gives the opposition loads of chances and that last season conceded 17 goals in only 3 games. A team like that needs a GK who is brilliant at keeping the ball out of the net. In that regard, DDG is elite. He is not the best all round GK in the world, but he is the best shot stopper in the world.

I actually think the overlooked Henderson is a happy medium between DDG and Onana. He is not as good a shot stopper as DDG but is better with his feet and more commanding in the box. He is not as good a ball player as Onana, but is a better shot stopper than him. Henderson is also good at something that DDG is terrible at: saving penalties.
YemiBrazil wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:03 pm
I disagree with Yorkie since this is all about feelings. There are areas where De Gea is better than Onana and there are areas where Onana is better than De Gea. The manager has seen both of them extensively at close quarters. We love Dave and he will remain a club legend but we won't pretend not to see his numerous "miraculous" costly blunders too, so he is human and we can live with that. Onana is our No.1 now and there is nothing anyone can do about that.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Murtough and Fletcher should rein in some of ETH’s transfer impulses. His transfer strategy seems to consist of buying players who played for him before or who played in the Dutch league. Man Utd may as well buy Ajax at this rate.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Only Manchester United would pay 45 million to downgrade their GK.

🤦🏾‍♂️

Onana is a better footballer than DDG, but DDG is a much better GK (even the raw 20 yo version of DDG that arrived at MUFC 12 years ago is better than Onana).