Roy Keane's Explosive Attack on Alex Ferguson

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Roy Keane's Explosive Attack on Alex Ferguson

Post by wiseone »

Roy Keane does come across as an utterly terrifying nutter. :shock:

Roy Keane reveals all on his EXPLOSIVE exit from Manchester United

ROY KEANE has lifted the lid on his explosive and acrimonious departure from Manchester United by revealing he told Sir Alex Ferguson the team “needed more” from him.

By: Richard Tanner and Paul JoycePublished: Mon, October 6, 2014

Keane left Manchester United in 2005 [GETTY]

And Keane believes that remark to Ferguson plus furious bust-ups with his then assistant Carlos Queiroz over a pre-season training camp on the Algarve and his “repetitive” training sessions had more to do with his shock exit in the autumn of 2005 than his infamous interview with the club’s TV channel in which he criticised team-mates for their performances in a 4-1 defeat at Middlesbrough.

The brutal exchanges with Ferguson and Queiroz were played out in front of the rest of the first team squad when Keane was ordered to explain his comments in the interview that was never broadcast on the manager’s orders.

Keane said that apart from goalkeeper Edwin Van Der Sar, none of the players raised any issues with his scathing remarks but claims Ferguson and Queiroz had “steam coming out of their ears.”

And Keane, then United’s captain, flipped into his infamous red mist zone when Queiroz said to him “You have not shown any loyalty to your team-mates.”

In his updated autobiography, “The Second Half,” Keane says: “He was just on my right shoulder; how I didn’t f*****’ hit him again – I was thinking, ‘The villa in Portugal, not treating me well in training – and he just used the word “loyalty” to me.

"I said, ‘Dont you f****** talk to me about loyalty, Carlos. You left this club after 12 months a few years ago for the Real Madrid job. Don’t you dare question my loyalty. I had opportunities to go to Juventus and Bayern Munich. And while we’re at it we spoke about training downstairs. And were just on about mixing things up in training a bit.”

Keane told Sir Alex Ferguson that Manchester United needed more from him [GETTY]

When Queiroz insisted the players needed “repetition” Keane replied by asking him if he always made love to his wife in the same position.
:shock:

That’s when Ferguson stepped in, saying: “That’s enough. I’ve had enough of all this stuff.”

Keane responded by turning on his manager by saying: “You as well gaffer. We need f****** more from you. We need a bit more, gaffer. We’re slipping behind other teams.”

When Holland international goalkeeper Van Der Sar suggested he could have used a “different tone” in the interview Keane rounded on him by saying: “Edwin, why don’t you shut the f*** up? You’ve been at this club for two minutes and you’ve done more interviews than I’ve done in my 12 years. It was MUTV – I had to do it.”

Keane said Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was warned he would be sacked if he didn’t apologise to the manager for following Keane out of the meeting room with Paul Scholes in a show of solidarity to their captain after the showdown meeting had ended.

Keane said: “According to Ole, Rio [Ferdinand] agreed with me, that they’d played poorly at Middlesborough. All the players started talking and Ole and Paul Scholes said they were leaving because they didn’t want to talk about me when I wasn’t there. I love that – they showed me a bit of loyalty.

“When Ole got up to leave, he was told by the manager, ‘don’t you follow him’ in no uncertain terms. According to Ole, Carlos called him into his office the next morning and told him to apologise to the manager for leaving the room or he’d be sacked.”

Sir Alex Ferguson and Roy Keane during Keane's days as Sunderland manager [GETTY]

United fined Keane £5,000 for the TV interview but he knew the writing was on the wall over his future at the club when Ferguson pulled him out of a Reserve game he was expecting to play in to help his recovery from a broken foot.

When Keane went to see Ferguson to ask why he wasn’t playing and was told to speak to his agent Michael Kennedy. Kennedy told him he had been summoned to a meeting at the Carrington training ground two days later. Keane said to Kennedy: “They’re going to try and get rid of me.”

At the meeting, Ferguson told him “Look, Roy, I think we’ve come to the end.” Keane agreed but was stunned when Gill prepared a written statement. He said: “They had it all ready. It was another little hand grenade they threw at me. Not an hour later, or two hours, or after the severance negotiations – it was already written.”

Keane was also angered that in the statement they wrote that his length of service at Old Trafford was written as 11 and half seasons, when in fact it was 12 and half.

“I said to Ferguson, ‘Can I play for somebody else?’ And he said, ‘Yeah you can, cos we’re tearing up your contract’ So I thought, All right – I’ll get fixed up. I knew there’d be clubs in for me when the news got out. I said, ‘Yeah- I think we have come to the end.’ I just thought, ‘F******’ p****’ – and I stood up and went ‘Yeah. I’m off.”

Keane said his departure cost him a lot of money because he was due to receive a £1m bonus if he had played in 50 per cent of the first team games in that 2005-06 season. He said his testimonial had been agreed months earlier and received no money for signing a confidentiality agreement.

Keane says he regretted going back to apologise to Ferguson and Queiroz a few days later.

“Now I kind of wish I hadn’t. Afterwards I was thinking, ‘I’m not sure why I f***** apologised.’ I just wanted to do the right thing. I was apologising for what had happened – that it had happened. But I wasn’t apologising for my behaviour or stance. There s difference – I had nothing to apologise for.”

•Roy Keane: The Second Half, published by Weidenfeld and Nicolson, £20. http://www.orionbooks.co.uk.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... x-Ferguson
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Roy Keane's Explosive Rant on Alex Ferguson

Post by metalalloy »

:lol: craze man from day 1
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The comment to Quieroz was totally out of order and crude. Given how explosive Keane's temper was, and how sharp his tongue is, I'm amazed he lasted 12 years at Man Utd under an authoritarian manager like Ferguson.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

wiseone wrote:The comment to Quieroz was totally out of order and crude. Given how explosive Keane's temper was, and how sharp his tongue is, I'm amazed he lasted 12 years at Man Utd under an authoritarian manager like Ferguson.
Ferguson used him for all his dirty jobs, he now turned on Sir Alex.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Abbey
Egg
Egg

Post by Abbey »

... and some people thought Osaze was bad :shock:
A Person convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Prince wrote:
wiseone wrote:The comment to Quieroz was totally out of order and crude. Given how explosive Keane's temper was, and how sharp his tongue is, I'm amazed he lasted 12 years at Man Utd under an authoritarian manager like Ferguson.
Kpom, used him like a rabid but efficient guard dog and did what you would do to such dog the day it turns on its owner, put it down. The clown is even boasting of not regretting what he did to Hangland..whose career he ended...what a pathetic excuse of a human being.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Book is a must-read.

For Arsenal fans, he talks about the tunnel bust-up with patrick vieira and how he was talking and talking but thinking to himself, if a fight breaks out, this guy is going to kill me :rotf:
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Prince wrote:

Yup. Sums it up effectively.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Roy Keane's Explosive Attack on Alex Ferguson

Post by wiseone »

The verbal attacks on team-mates and coaching staff were mind boggling. No employee can verbally abuse the CEO and colleagues to their face and get away with it.

The thing is: was Keane this outspoken and volatile when he first joined Man Utd as a young 20 yo kid, and walked into a dressing room full of experienced hard men like Robson, Ince, Hughes, Bruce, Cantona, Pallister, Schmeichel, and thorough professionals like Irwin, Parker, and McClair? I'd have liked to have seen what would happen to him if he launched a foul mouthed tirade at Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce for example.

Much easier bullying gentler souls like the young Fletcher, Neville brothers, Jordi Cruyff, and Dwight Yorke. Incredibly only Van Nisteelrooy was brave enough to physically confront him.
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN »

wiseone wrote:The verbal attacks on team-mates and coaching staff were mind boggling. No employee can verbally abuse the CEO and colleagues to their face and get away with it.

The thing is: was Keane this outspoken and volatile when he first joined Man Utd as a young 20 yo kid, and walked into a dressing room full of experienced hard men like Robson, Ince, Hughes, Bruce, Cantona, Pallister, Schmeichel, and through professionals like Irwin, Parker, and McClair? I'd have liked to have seen what would happen to him if he launched at foul mouthed tirade at Bryan Robson and Steve Bruce for example.

Much easier bullying gentler souls like the young Fletcher, Neville brothers, Jordi Cruyff, and Dwight Yorke. Incredibly only Van Nisteelrooy was brave enough to physically confront him.
Haha, you don't know Roy Keane oooooh! I remember hearing about how Bruce and Pallister were begging Lee Sharpe (one of his age mates at Utd when he 1st arrived) to make sure Keane behaved himself on a night out! Lee Sharpe was confused as they were the senior players, so it should've been them to look after him! No one wanted to deal with Keane! The guy was (and IS) trouble!
Last edited by The Notorious B!GGESTMAN on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

platinum wrote:Book is a must-read.

For Arsenal fans, he talks about the tunnel bust-up with patrick vieira and how he was talking and talking but thinking to himself, if a fight breaks out, this guy is going to kill me :rotf:
:lol:
Does he really say this in the book. Remember thibking at the time Vieira should thump this guy
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Gerrard Pique on Roy Keane
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... fied-Keane

Despite not making his debut until after the Irishman's departure in November 2005, Pique recalls how the Red Devils captain was so intimidating he made manager Sir Alex Ferguson look tame.

After moving to England as a 17-year-old in 2004, Pique eventually returned to the Nou Camp in 2008, becoming one of the club's key players as well as a stalwart in Spain's starting XI under Vicente del Bosque.

However, the 27-year-old is struggling for game time this season, with new boss Luis Enrique preferring to pair Javier Mascherano with Jeremy Mathieu, and various reports claim Louis Van Gaal is plotting a big-money January move.

Pique could very well be tempted to rejoin his old side, with one bonus for him being the absence of battle-hardened Keane.

He told FourFourTwo: "I wouldn't say I was scared of [Sir Alex Ferguson]. Roy Keane? Well, maybe that's different!

"I remember we were in the changing room at Old Trafford and my phone started vibrating. Keano could hear the vibrations and went crazy trying to find out who the phone belonged to. That's who he was.

"Before we [Barca] beat Celtic 1-0 last season, I noticed him by the side of the pitch as a pundit as we went to warm up. I hid my face with my hand because he still scares me. I was 26 years old, and I was ******** myself!"
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Sir Alex on Roy Keane
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... raphy.html

*** Sir Alex already wrote about the incidence with Roy Keane.

The detail of the collapse of their understanding is fascinating. Keane, according to Ferguson, objected to the quality of accommodation at Vale do Lobo on a pre-season training camp.

This carried echoes of Keane’s complaints about the Irish facilities on Saipan before the 2002 World Cup finals. Ferguson backed Keane in public then but admitted that he felt the Irishman took his grievances too far.

In Portugal, Ferguson and Keane argued. Tension increased in 2005 when Keane did his infamous MUTV interview which was so critical of some of the younger players that it was never broadcast.

Ferguson relates elements of the interview in which Keane called Kieran Richardson “a lazy defender”, wondered why “people in Scotland rave about Darren Fletcher” and made the disparaging verdict on Rio Ferdinand that “just because you are paid £120,000 a week and play well for 20 minutes against Tottenham, you think you are a superstar”.

Others in Keane’s crosshairs included Alan Smith, even Edwin van der Sar. “Roy was taking them all down,’’ Ferguson writes, sounding as if he is describing a mafia shoot-out.

Ferguson orders Keane and all the players to watch the interview. Van der Sar has a go at Keane, who questioned what the keeper would know of the club’s culture.

For a dressing-room built on unity, this was devastating. Ferguson compliments Ruud van Nistelrooy for backing Van der Sar. Keane simply launched into Van Nistelrooy as well.

Keane then raised the controversial issue of Ferguson’s dispute with United shareholder John Magnier over Rock of Gibraltar’s stud rights, criticising the manager for blurring the lines of personal and business. The gloves are well and truly off.

“The hardest part of Roy’s body is his tongue,’’ Ferguson writes. He noted that Keane’s eyes narrowed when he was angry.

“It was frightening to watch. And I’m from Glasgow.’’
The moment Keane left the room, Ferguson and his staff agreed that the Irishman had to leave the club.

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

^^Fergusons book was released in 2013. Welcome to last year pal! :roll: ^^
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

The Notorious B!GGESTMAN wrote:^^Fergusons book was released in 2013. Welcome to last year pal! :roll: ^^
... did I make a reference to it being written in 2014 when I actually placed the link to the article and the link clearly indicates when the article was published? Isn't it obvious that I posted to show that Sir Alex already wrote about this in his autobiography? Something that was even discussed here on CE in 2013 when it was published. Wow - we do have interesting characters here on CE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

YemiBrazil wrote:
The Notorious B!GGESTMAN wrote:^^Fergusons book was released in 2013. Welcome to last year pal! :roll: ^^
... did I make a reference to it being written in 2014 when I actually placed the link to the article and the link clearly indicates when the article was published? Isn't it obvious that I posted to show that Sir Alex already wrote about this in his autobiography? Something that was even discussed here on CE in 2013 when it was published. Wow - we do have interesting characters here on CE :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Abi? :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

sorry i dont care how good a player he was, you dont abuse your manager or superiors, discipline! all this from a die hard man united fan!!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

Roy Keane admits fight with Peter Schmeichel in new autobiography

Former Manchester United captain Roy Keane has revealed that he came to blows with goalkeeper and team-mate Peter Schmeichel on a pre-season tour.
Keane, 43, said Schmeichel was left with a black eye after the fight in Hong Kong in 1998 which followed simmering tension between the pair.
Keane said: "He said: 'I've had enough of you. It's time we sorted this out.' So I said: 'OK' and we had a fight."
The episode is recalled by Keane in his new autobiography 'The Second Half'.
Keane, now the assistant manager for Aston Villa and the Republic of Ireland, said drink had been involved in the incident with Schmeichel, who he played alongside at Old Trafford for six years.
Midfield winner
Roy Keane won seven Premier League titles as a Manchester United player.
Keane won 67 caps for the Republic of Ireland and played at the 1994 World Cup finals.
He was named the PFA and Football Writers' Association player of the year in 2000.
He managed Sunderland and Ipswich, leading Sunderland into the Premier League in 2007.
"I woke up the next morning. I kind of vaguely remembered the fight. My hand was really sore and one of my fingers was bent backwards," Keane is reported as saying by the Daily Mirror.
Keane discusses a number of controversial topics in the book, which is published on Thursday.

Keane and Schmeichel at odds after United concede a penalty against Leeds in 1995
They include a reference to a tackle on former Manchester City midfielder Alf-Inge Haaland in 2001, which Keane suggested in his first autobiography was to avenge an earlier incident between the pair.
The comments earned Keane a five-match ban and £150,000 fine from the FA for bringing the game into disrepute.
"There are things I regret in my life and he (Haaland) is not one of them," Keane added.
Keane says he regrets apologising to former United manager Sir Alex Ferguson over a MUTV interview which hastened the Irishman's acrimonious departure from Old Trafford in 2005.
The book was mistakenly put on sale 72 hours earlier than its scheduled publication by a Tesco store in Burnage, Manchester, and the contents were published by national newspaper websites soon after.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29515825
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Lolly »

Working class lad who started as a boxer before focusing on football. Not surprised a lot of players were scared of him. He was a nutter, fiercely competitive and very strong.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

Lolly wrote:Working class lad who started as a boxer before focusing on football. Not surprised a lot of players were scared of him. He was a nutter, fiercely competitive and very strong.

But has he actually beaten anyone up for players to fear him like that :blink: :???: Wish he had been in the same team as Lauren :D

The Notorious B!GGESTMAN
Eaglet
Eaglet

Samora Moises Machel wrote:
Lolly wrote:Working class lad who started as a boxer before focusing on football. Not surprised a lot of players were scared of him. He was a nutter, fiercely competitive and very strong.

But has he actually beaten anyone up for players to fear him like that :blink: :???: Wish he had been in the same team as Lauren :D
Lauren is a nobody. Keane squared up to Arsenals hardest player Vieira. So who is this overrated Lauren everyone goes on about? The only person Lauren squared up to was the mighty Phil Neville!
The weak or the strong,
who got it going on
You're dead wrong
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Abbey wrote:... and some people thought Osaze was bad :shock:
...you can be bad but you got to produce.
See Balotelli, Suarez, to name a few.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

The Notorious B!GGESTMAN wrote:
Samora Moises Machel wrote:

Lauren is a nobody. Keane squared up to Arsenals hardest player Vieira. So who is this overrated Lauren everyone goes on about? The only person Lauren squared up to was the mighty Phil Neville!

I might be wrong but i am sure have heard it said Lauren was the hardest man at Arsenal. Like Keane he too is an ex boxer :lol: :lol: