Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by oloye »

kalani JR wrote:
tfco wrote:Twitter reaction to the Eric Bailly interest is too funny
I can imagine Sir Bobby is going crazy first they brought in Mou now they're bringing Africans.
I see either him or Fergie and the rest of the so called we are ManU leaving before Jose does. I believe Jose and Woodward are dealing directly with the glaziers,not the old relics trying to run football like it was done in the 80s .
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Man Utd about to shell 40 million for Bailly

Post by txj »

YUJAM wrote:TXJ:
Bruno does not play DF for Villarreal. In fact, I've never seen him do so.

Bailly was the best Villarreal defender last season. The guy played every position in the back and did well.

I think he is one of the best young defenders in la Liga. He is good at tackling, passing and reading the game. His aerial game is not shabby either
Unfortunately the facts don't back any of your statements above, as he is not ranked as one of the top performers in the league. He is neither the best defender at Villareal nor one of the best young defenders in La Liga. But he does have potential and I wish him every luck in England...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

All relative.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/839

These stats have him ranked among the best in his team. IMO, he is one of the best young talents in Spain. How many players in the top La Liga sides have played all defensive positions in a season? But like I said it is all relative
txj wrote:

Bailly was the best Villarreal defender last season. The guy played every position in the back and did well.

I think he is one of the best young defenders in la Liga. He is good at tackling, passing and reading the game. His aerial game is not shabby either
Unfortunately the facts don't back any of your statements above, as he is not ranked as one of the top performers in the league. He is neither the best defender at Villareal nor one of the best young defenders in La Liga. But he does have potential and I wish him every luck in England...
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

tfco wrote:still no word on John Stones

hmm,come on Jose
He is over rated.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Nothing relative about the stats; that's probably why you have changed from naming him the best defender at Villareal to one of the best!!! Which is true btw...

He is also not ranked as one of the best young CDs in La Liga

YUJAM wrote:All relative.

These stats have him ranked among the best in his team. IMO, he is one of the best young talents in Spain. How many players in the top La Liga sides have played all defensive positions in a season? But like I said it is all relative
txj wrote:

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Bruno plays CDM for the yellow submarines
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bigpokey24 wrote:

Bruno plays CDM for the yellow submarines
As well as CD...but his primary is of course DM

rasak74
Egg
Egg

Post by rasak74 »

YUJAM wrote:All relative.

txj wrote:

http://www.squawka.com is more accurate than Whoscored.com.
Internet gangster
Uses the internet as a front for acting like a tough guy gang member, usually because they are hoping to gain the respect that they lack in their real life. Don't be fooled........This person is a sham. This person is not actually an attack dog, they are a timid house cat.
Troll
One who deliberately starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

oloye wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
tfco wrote:Twitter reaction to the Eric Bailly interest is too funny
I can imagine Sir Bobby is going crazy first they brought in Mou now they're bringing Africans.
I see either him or Fergie and the rest of the so called we are ManU leaving before Jose does. I believe Jose and Woodward are dealing directly with the glaziers,not the old relics trying to run football like it was done in the 80s .
A lot of the time the people who are said not to want Mourinho at their team are told to pipe down. Valdano was hushed ssix years ago and now Sir Bobby was there to welcome him when it was said he was opposed.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

THIS IS GOING TO REALLY HURT TXJ.

So, Sports is one of the most prominent news outlet in Barcelona and has the strongest connection with FC Barcelona. In fact, Sport is the mouthpiece of Barca.

Sport said today:

1. Eric Bailly was Borrussia Dortmund's FIRST CHOICE to replace Hummels. They tried to sign him, but they stood no chance when United got in. as a result, Dortmund SETTLED for Marc Batra.

Txj claims that Batra is better than Eric and we all saw TxJ shaking yansh earlier, beating his chest about Dortmund signing Batra. Little did he know (as usual) that Bailly was actually Dortmund's FIRST CHOICE and they lost out on him. That was the only reason they went for a cheaper and poorer player in Batra.

2. Barcelona also wanted Eric Bailly.

http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/b ... pa-5187142

Dont worry, Dortmund, Barca and United are useless, when compared to a man who has spent his adult years in a sexual relationship with Rafa Benitez. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

The truth is that those of us who know TxJ over the years, know that the man doesnt know much about football. And, it is this low self-esteem that makes him open threads on tactics and clog the forum with lies about "tactical football."
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Stones is a promising and talented player. He is still a WIP though. Man Utd need the finished article. His name is Diego Godin. He is tailor made for the English game (strong in the air, tough tackler, likes a battle).
tfco wrote:still no word on John Stones

hmm,come on Jose
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I am surprised that Man Utd have not tried to sign Diego Godin all these years instead of hoping that some, one, or all of Evans, Jones, and Smalling would one day become world class. They really messed up their succession planning at center back (selling Pique and Shawcross, then having to pay nearly 30 million to buy Jones and Smalling), and most recently letting Michael Keane (a future England player) leave.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

I completely agree with you. But when an EPL club comes in for a player, things are different for obvious reasons. I fear the inflation rate in transfer fees and wages will put clubs like Liverpool and Arsenal at a disadvantage but it is up to them to find solutions.
txj wrote:True he has potential. But the truth is, there are many like him. I see parallels with Omeruo for instance, difference being he had greater profile playing in La Liga. Thing is this kind of money puts undue pressure on young players, and can constrain their development if not handled correctly....

This is the kind of race I'm hoping Klopp can help LFC avoid. Imagine Batra going to Dortmund for 8m and Bailly speculated for 40m!

Waffiman wrote:Raw with potential. The money is just about EPL clubs and having serious funds.
txj wrote:Bailly is an above average talent and can be coached up; a little bit like Taribo West...but he's not a top CB talent...
Tends to lunge into tackles, has difficulty reading the game sometimes, but is quite strong aerially and can play the ball out of defence. Bit of a surprise they have gone for him tbh....

YUJAM wrote:You are the only one making this a racial issue. The pt is EPL teams are paying too much for players these days whether they are black or white. Villarreal paid around 5 million for Bailly two seasons ago when he came up through the Espanyol youth ranks
danfo driver wrote:
kajifu wrote:
danfo driver wrote:Yes, spending 19 millón pounds on an African is too much. spending 33 million pounds on a Swiss cheese and 22 million pounds on a 29 year old British man is shrewd business. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Guardiola is going to pay 39 million pounds for laporte. But because laporte is a white boy, The inferior natives have no problem with it. But an African costing 19 million pounds is drama :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Lol
You no see how colomentality be? This same man United and Mourinho were talking with everton regarding 40m pounds John Stones, The natives said nothing. Man United and Mourinho were talking to Roma about 31m pounds Manolas, the inferior minded natives said nothing. :rotf: :rotf:

But as soon as United wants to pay 19m pounds for an African, the World has ended. Truly, Africans deserve all the pain they get. Colomental things. :curse:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

txj has more football knowledge in a small strand of hair than you have in your whole being. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Being a childish troll does not cover up your football ignorance. I remind you of Mark Twain when he said, "it is best to be quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth removing all doubt."
danfo driver wrote:The truth is that those of us who know TxJ over the years, know that the man doesnt know much about football. And, it is this low self-esteem that makes him open threads on tactics and clog the forum with lies about "tactical football."
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

danfo driver wrote:THIS IS GOING TO REALLY HURT TXJ.

So, Sports is one of the most prominent news outlet in Barcelona and has the strongest connection with FC Barcelona. In fact, Sport is the mouthpiece of Barca.

Sport said today:

1. Eric Bailly was Borrussia Dortmund's FIRST CHOICE to replace Hummels. They tried to sign him, but they stood no chance when United got in. as a result, Dortmund SETTLED for Marc Batra.

Txj claims that Batra is better than Eric and we all saw TxJ shaking yansh earlier, beating his chest about Dortmund signing Batra. Little did he know (as usual) that Bailly was actually Dortmund's FIRST CHOICE and they lost out on him. That was the only reason they went for a cheaper and poorer player in Batra.

Dont worry, Dortmund, Barca and United are useless, when compared to a man who has spent his adult years in a sexual relationship with Rafa Benitez. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

BVB´s first choice was arguably Leverkusen´s Toprak
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

kofi86 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:THIS IS GOING TO REALLY HURT TXJ.

Sport said today:

BVB´s first choice was arguably Leverkusen´s Toprak
Was going to post that, but lost interest in the "debate"...BVB balked at the 23m euros buyout...

They are going to lose quite a few players this year, but impressed by the kind of acquisitions they have made- Dembele, Rode, Merino (rumor about the young turk, Mor) and now Batra, who I think is a top quality talent. Reminds you somewhat of the path Cavarjal went thru to nail down the RB spot at Madrid...

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Waffiman wrote:I completely agree with you. But when an EPL club comes in for a player, things are different for obvious reasons. I fear the inflation rate in transfer fees and wages will put clubs like Liverpool and Arsenal at a disadvantage but it is up to them to find solutions.
txj wrote:True he has potential. But the truth is, there are many like him. I see parallels with Omeruo for instance, difference being he had greater profile playing in La Liga. Thing is this kind of money puts undue pressure on young players, and can constrain their development if not handled correctly....

This is the kind of race I'm hoping Klopp can help LFC avoid. Imagine Batra going to Dortmund for 8m and Bailly speculated for 40m!
There are solutions out there with proper leadership. Look at what Dortmund and Atleti are doing...

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

African defenders are being tabbed on this Guardian thread: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... r#comments
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Waffiman wrote:txj has more football knowledge in a small strand of hair than you have in your whole being. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Being a childish troll does not cover up your football ignorance. I remind you of Mark Twain when he said, "it is best to be quiet and thought a fool, than to open your mouth removing all doubt."
danfo driver wrote:The truth is that those of us who know TxJ over the years, know that the man doesnt know much about football. And, it is this low self-esteem that makes him open threads on tactics and clog the forum with lies about "tactical football."
Mark Twain was right. Saw your face when he made that comment. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: remember what they say about short men? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

from Reddit

love this interview with TFM.

This guy - we should cap him ASAP; and his brother too!!

Out of nothing he made his debut for Manchester United, followed up by an invitation for the Dutch national team, but Timothy Fosu-Mensah (18) says in his first big interview: “It’s not a fairytale. I’m not really surprised by it”

The Coming Man of the Dutch football does not take a holiday in Dubai, Ibiza or Miami, but sits on the couch in Amsterdam-Zuidoost, on the seventh floor in an apartment overlooking de Bijlmer. Inside it’s cozy and warm, small is beautiful. There’s a prize cabinet, a huge smart-tv, and on the wall there are some photos. Just the flip-flops prove that we’re in front of a player from Manchester United. On those, Timothy wrote his kitnumber, just next to the logo of The Red Devils. “Ofcourse I am proud”, he says, “but I don’t flaunt with it.”

De Bijlmer is for Fosu-Mensah the ideal place to unwind after a season that changed his life forever. Over here he isn’t a Mancunian but just Tojo, the boy from the hood, who played football down on the streets and football courts day and night. De district has a bad reputation. Last week someone got murdered, but de Bijlmer is especially warmth, solidarity, homecoming. “I was born in this house and don’t feel bigger or better than anyone in the district. My friends from my childhood are my friends now. In Manchester I live together with my dad. The evenings are long. We watch football on tv, or play on the Playstation. Everything for peace and focus. Occasionally I’ll go into the city, drink coffee with Rodney Kongolo and Javairo Dilrosun who play at Manchester City, but they don’t live around the corner. That’s why I am here, and not on a holiday. I live a beautiful life, but one con is that you can’t go a few staircases up or down to be with your friends. Now I can do that for a few weeks, now I can be distracted. We hang out, do nice things, go anywhere we like, laugh, have fun. No, during those times we don’t talk about my career, then I am just one of the boys. I really like it, that is recreation for me.”

Development; “It can’t go fast enough for me”

Now he does talk, for once. He realizes that a star can rise fast, just like that he became famous in Holland after his debut for Manchester United. “People talk about a fairy tale, a child’s book.” Fosu-Mensah says. “They all ask me if I am surprised about my development, that I already made my debut for Manchester United, that I got an invite for an internship with the Dutch national team in Portugal, that it all goes so fast with me.. If I have to answer honestly, I would say no. I’m happy, not surprised. It can’t go fast enough for me. My whole life I have set goals for myself, This season I was with the U-21’s of United. In that case it only makes sense what the next step will be. The only thing you can do, is work hard. And that’s what I did. And then you wait for the opportunity to arise. Louis van Gaal did that. After that you will have to play well, and I did that too. I do however realize that there’s a lot of room for improvement.”

He tells his story on the day that Manchester United announced the arrival of José Mourinho to replace the sacked Louis van Gaal. Fosu-Mensah is quiet. “I’m going to call Van Gaal. But I’m going to wait for the right moment. Unfortunately, I did not run into him at United, but I did see Marcel Bout, the scout. I told him that I owe van Gaal for eternity. Same goes for the rest of the staff, like Ryan Giggs and Albert Stuivenberg. The former talked with me a lot, like after the semi-final of the FA Cup against Everton, when I played well but also caused a penalty. “Stay on your feet in situations like that”, Giggs told me. Learned so much from him. And with Stuivenberg I watched the footage of the things I did wrong.” He did, but according to the media the senior players of Manchester United went crazy because of Van Gaal’s approach. Fosu Mensah: “I can only speak for myself, and for me Van Gaal has been really good. Yes, he was present and talked a lot, but that’s how he treated everyone, with the aim to make you a better player. For me that worked out, I can feel it.”

Now Mourinho has arrived, not known for his feeling with the youth, but a proven manager nonetheless. The Special One has already said that he is eager to work with Fosu-Mensah. Mohammed Sinouh is negotiating with Manchester United for a new and better contract. Fosu-Mensah realizes: “You’re 18 years old and you’ve already had Louis van Gaal and José Mourinho as managers. It’s simply unbelievable. I’ve never heard a player talk badly about Mourinho. I’m curious, under him I want to further develop myself into a top-player for Manchester United. That’s the next step in my plan.”

AJAX: “There was no plan”

Timothy Fosu-Mensah seemed destined for Ajax. The club who picked him up from Zeeburgia, another talent-factory. He sums them up: “Luciano Narsingh, Kenny Tete, Oussama Tannane… Zeeburgia has always had good youth. We won everything, except from Ajax. We always took a beating. Ajax had the likes of Abdelhak Nouri, Steven Bergwijn. Good players, but I stood out in those matches and was invited to join Ajax.” He passed the education with ease, same with the representing Dutch youthteams U-15, -16, -17 and -19. It was waiting for a reward, a contract, but that didn’t happen, while other players from his class did get them.

At home it wasn’t cake and sunshine either. His father took another job to keep the family rolling. When Manchester United came knocking, it wasn’t just an improvement on a sports level. Fosu Mensah: “But let me tell you, I chose for my own development. United had a plan, so did Ajax, but only when I told them I was moving to England. Yes, there are enough experts out there that think players leave too early. Let me ask you: should you ignore a chance like that? Look at Jeffrey Bruma. He is probably going to make an amazing transfer. Karim Rekik plays at Olympique Marseille. Did they turn out worse? Nathan Aké played amazing for an entire season at Watford. Is that worse than playing in the Eredivisie? I can notice that I’ve become a better player on all fronts.”

“Especially on a physical level, regarding football the step wasn’t as big. I started with the U-18s. Marcus Rashford was the first to see to me and made me feel free. On the pitch it went without saying. Just like with Ajax, we did everything with the ball, but the biggest difference was with power training. That’s an essential part of the training at United. I noticed it right away when I entered the dressing room. All the English boys we’re muscular. I was tall and skinny. And look at me now, tall but strong as well. The training in the gym is tough, but if you want to play in the Premier League you need to gain some mass. You can feel the development pretty fast, and that motivates to keep going. You want to go with the flow, you want more, more, more. Another big difference with Ajax is the artificial pitch. At De Toekomst we played a lot on that surface. In England we do everything on real grass. The ball bounces and rolls differently. It’s not that I had a lot of trouble, but it was some getting used to. I think real grass is better for the development of a player. In England I have never played on an artificial pitch.”

LOUIS VAN GAAL: “If he comes, you know that youth will get it’s chance.”

He also had the opportunity to join Arsenal. “Talks were pretty advanced, but eventually I chose for United, because Van Gaal was going to be their manager. If he comes, you know that youth will get it’s chance. Now you can say I made the right choice. Van Gaal gave debuts to 14 youth players. Fourteen! Marcus Rashford, Jesse Lingard, me.. I owe everything to van Gaal. Just before my debut I had a chat with him. With the U-18s and the U-21s I played a lot in the midfield or central defence. Van Gaal said he had problems with the right-back position. He just knew I could play there as well. Van Gaal watched every U-21s match, he knew my qualities. And I trained with the first team when I was part of the U18s. On one day – I’ll never forget it – I was training for myself at Carrington in the indoor hall. Our coach Paul McGuiness entered, pointed to me, Marcus Rashford, Axel Tuanzebe and Devonte Redmond. “You! Report at the first team!”. That day Van Gaal wasn’t there, his assistants Stuivenberg and Giggs were in charge. Just like that I was on the pitch with all those stars, and they were normal guys who were willing to do anything to help you.”

“He’s a good listener”, Fosu-Mensah says. “To Michael Carrick, Chris Smalling, and to the Dutch guys Daley Blind and Memphis Depay. I sit in the dressing room and just listen to what everyone has to say. And especially to our captain, Wayne Rooney. I remember that in the semi-final against Everton I recovered the ball in the 44th minute. I crossed the midfield and tried to reach Rashford, but that pass was intercepted. Then Rooney approached me and said: “Timothy, 44th minute, keep the ball in the team.” Small things, but they make you a better player. And they all do it, Juan Mata, Marouane Fellaini; no one feels himself too big to help. I absolutely love that. And then you realize they have great banter as well. The dressing room from Ajax doesn’t differ that much of that of Manchester United.”

DEBUT: “I didn’t sleep that night”

In the living room Fosu-Mensah turns on the smart-tv and looks for Youtube videos of himself. “It just makes me happy”, he says. We see him dribble against Tottenham Hotspur, we see him give a great pass to Anthony Martial in the match with Everton. And we see him shaking hands with Marcos Rojo, before he comes on against Arsenal at Old Trafford. His debut. “That is the moment of my career thus far. I arrived at the club for the match on Saturday, did what I always do, got my breakfast, until Louis van Gaal asked me if I brought my club-suit. “No,” I said. About an hour later he came back and told me that I was in the squad. He asked if my dad could bring my suit. I didn’t sleep that night. All I was doing is visualize the match against Arsenal, I was that eager to play. Make my debut against Arsenal, that would be nice on my list. The next day I started on the bench, pretty nervous. During half-time Van Gaal said that I should go on the cardio, warm up my muscles. “You’re coming on soon.” When I did my warm-up on the sideline and looked around me, I got a warm feeling inside: Old Trafford, Arsenal, this was it. After that I also started in the semi-final of the FA Cup.”

Especially since the Everton match his life changed drastically. Fosu-Mensah played so well that Twitter exploded. On Instagram he has 230 thousand followers, but the fame has its cost. A player of United is as privileged as he is outlawed. The tabloids never sleep. Fosu-Mensah looks ahead. “You need to watch your steps, know who you hang out with, your world shrinks. When you’re in the city, on the airport, everyone wants something from you. That’s something you will have to learn to cope with.

COPY: “My brother will be better than me”

The sun dawns over de Bijlmer, Fosu-Mensah is heading out. He goes to the training of his little brother Paul. “He is fifteen and plays in the Ajax Youth. He’s like a copy of me, we play on the same position. He will be better than me. At least, I hope so. I really want it for him. Maybe one day we will play together at a big club, in the heart of the defence. Why not? If I learned one thing this season, it’s that everything is possible, as long as you believe.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Of the young players I actually think Fosu-Mensah, Perreira, Januzaj, McNair, Wilson, and Borthwick-Jackson should be sent out on loan next season. That will achieve two things: (a) give them game time rather than sitting in the stands waiting for someone in the first team to get injured or suspended; and (b) establish whether they have "it" and are good enough to play regularly in the EPL.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

I agree

The freakish injury crises we suffered last season cannot possibly happen again.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf: