Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by Coach »

@Marco Polo, there’s nothing wrong with Ole’s reactive, hyper defensive football. It works, or atleast has done on occasions. United’s underbelly is exposed in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 or whatever else. In truth, they look to have a semblance of strategy and system to their play operating in a 5-3-2. With Bruno Fernandes, they have effort, energy, enigma (funny that, didn’t that supposedly procure all of this with a stripe of peroxide a few summers back?).

As a basis, ‘tis not the worst and could prove the backbone to a rebuild. Jude Bellingham will add some youthful exuberance (albeit in drips and drabs). Fred has been decent, McTominay too, but certainly a solid bidirectional centre-mid would make sense. If Ole Gunnasuofia sticks with the 5-3-2, then it would be worth considering investment at right wingback and playing AWB as a right-sides CB. Defensively imperious, his flaws are going forward, where he doesn’t contribute anywhere near enough. If United can get UCL football, a decent bid for Perreira at Leicester would be sensible.

United don’t have the players to press ala Liverpool or possess ala City. Ole is as Ole does, at best, United can be Cardiff on steroids. 400lbs on the flat bench, one rep. Raw.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

marko wrote:
Kunle wrote:
marko wrote:I am not always correct, i do not rate OGS as a coach, with the players united have, we are playing at 70% capacity, we are playing freestyle football, if you play 5 men in defence, you will make things hard for any opponent, we played 3-5-2, when city got the ball, we almost changed to 5 man defensive wall, sorry you do not need to be a genius to play this formation, and yes we have some individual talent that can hurt opposition, there is a reason why we are 37 points away from Liverpool, as a united fan, we have to strive to be the best unless you settle for mediocrity, we are still 12 points away from City, yes we can claim bragging rights by beating city home/ away but if we do not qualify for champions league, we are doomed! That is where OGS should be judged, qualifying for champions league with the players, investment should be a bare requirement, if he dont get that, he has failed and should leave the club!
You want United to be aggressive in attack yet you canvas for a defensive formation, I'm confused.
You can have 6 or 7 men in defence, if your midfield is weak a good team will always rip through your formation. We all know how this mindset has failed Morinho at Spurs and elsewhere. The midfield is the engine room of a team, a strong midfield makes you more potent in attack and enables you to easily frustrate the attacking intents of your opponent. So there's nothing wrong with OGS 3-5-2 style.

Whether we agree or not, United is in a rebuild, definitely not in the same phase of development as Liverpool and so, no point hammering on the gap between them. What is fair to OGS is giving him what Klopp got in his early years at Liverpool - time and support. I believe that's what striving to be the best means.
then how do you explain how Sheffield united, first time in the premiership in a long time are 2 points behind united? look at Wolves, 2 points, then we have Leicester in 3rd position, even Arsenal are 5 points behind, we lose 1 game, we can drop to 8th! Does Leicester have a better squad than united? that is why all this give it time does not work for me, he has been here for 1 year and yet i continue to see newly promoted teams give us a run for the money, with the squad we have, finishing top 4 should be a bare minimum, yes we do not have the team to fight for the league title, we are 2-3 player short, but top 4, sorry nobody can convince me time is needed to reach this objective especially if Chelsea rookie coach with less than 1 year experience manages to secure champions league fotball
You can have Jose Mourinho back.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Cristao II wrote:
marko wrote:
Kunle wrote:
marko wrote:I am not always correct, i do not rate OGS as a coach, with the players united have, we are playing at 70% capacity, we are playing freestyle football, if you play 5 men in defence, you will make things hard for any opponent, we played 3-5-2, when city got the ball, we almost changed to 5 man defensive wall, sorry you do not need to be a genius to play this formation, and yes we have some individual talent that can hurt opposition, there is a reason why we are 37 points away from Liverpool, as a united fan, we have to strive to be the best unless you settle for mediocrity, we are still 12 points away from City, yes we can claim bragging rights by beating city home/ away but if we do not qualify for champions league, we are doomed! That is where OGS should be judged, qualifying for champions league with the players, investment should be a bare requirement, if he dont get that, he has failed and should leave the club!
You want United to be aggressive in attack yet you canvas for a defensive formation, I'm confused.
You can have 6 or 7 men in defence, if your midfield is weak a good team will always rip through your formation. We all know how this mindset has failed Morinho at Spurs and elsewhere. The midfield is the engine room of a team, a strong midfield makes you more potent in attack and enables you to easily frustrate the attacking intents of your opponent. So there's nothing wrong with OGS 3-5-2 style.

Whether we agree or not, United is in a rebuild, definitely not in the same phase of development as Liverpool and so, no point hammering on the gap between them. What is fair to OGS is giving him what Klopp got in his early years at Liverpool - time and support. I believe that's what striving to be the best means.
then how do you explain how Sheffield united, first time in the premiership in a long time are 2 points behind united? look at Wolves, 2 points, then we have Leicester in 3rd position, even Arsenal are 5 points behind, we lose 1 game, we can drop to 8th! Does Leicester have a better squad than united? that is why all this give it time does not work for me, he has been here for 1 year and yet i continue to see newly promoted teams give us a run for the money, with the squad we have, finishing top 4 should be a bare minimum, yes we do not have the team to fight for the league title, we are 2-3 player short, but top 4, sorry nobody can convince me time is needed to reach this objective especially if Chelsea rookie coach with less than 1 year experience manages to secure champions league fotball
You can have Jose Mourinho back.
Mourinho Mugabe?? sorry i do not think so! he can stay at Spurs until he gets sacked again, that man finished as far as top management is concerned, the coach that beat him yesterday was 6 years ago when Mourinho won his first champions league! let that sink in!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Kunle
Egg
Egg

Post by Kunle »

marko wrote: then how do you explain how Sheffield united, first time in the premiership in a long time are 2 points behind united? look at Wolves, 2 points, then we have Leicester in 3rd position, even Arsenal are 5 points behind, we lose 1 game, we can drop to 8th! Does Leicester have a better squad than united? that is why all this give it time does not work for me, he has been here for 1 year and yet i continue to see newly promoted teams give us a run for the money, with the squad we have, finishing top 4 should be a bare minimum, yes we do not have the team to fight for the league title, we are 2-3 player short, but top 4, sorry nobody can convince me time is needed to reach this objective especially if Chelsea rookie coach with less than 1 year experience manages to secure champions league fotball
Not saying a top 4 target for united is unreasonable, don't get me wrong. What I often question is the premise upon which you write Ole off.

Of course newly promoted is not the same as newly assembled. New teams that retain much of their players and managers are far more likely to perform better than existing teams that keep changing managers and reshuffling players every week. We've seen newly promoted in Newcastle and Nottingham Forest clinching 3rd position, and Leceister won epl in their 2nd year of return. United needs continuity in Ole now, more than anything else.
KK
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Kunle wrote:
marko wrote: then how do you explain how Sheffield united, first time in the premiership in a long time are 2 points behind united? look at Wolves, 2 points, then we have Leicester in 3rd position, even Arsenal are 5 points behind, we lose 1 game, we can drop to 8th! Does Leicester have a better squad than united? that is why all this give it time does not work for me, he has been here for 1 year and yet i continue to see newly promoted teams give us a run for the money, with the squad we have, finishing top 4 should be a bare minimum, yes we do not have the team to fight for the league title, we are 2-3 player short, but top 4, sorry nobody can convince me time is needed to reach this objective especially if Chelsea rookie coach with less than 1 year experience manages to secure champions league fotball
Not saying a top 4 target for united is unreasonable, don't get me wrong. What I often question is the premise upon which you write Ole off.

Of course newly promoted is not the same as newly assembled. New teams that retain much of their players and managers are far more likely to perform better than existing teams that keep changing managers and reshuffling players every week. We've seen newly promoted in Newcastle and Nottingham Forest clinching 3rd position, and Leceister won epl in their 2nd year of return. United needs continuity in Ole now, more than anything else.
yes continuity is needed at this stage, what else is needed is a proven director of football, with such a person in place, they need to establish our footballing philosophy and make sure the coach adheres to this, right now, we are freestyling all over the place and this is why we are not that consistent, yes results have improved due to the addition of Fernandes / Ighalo but that is more based on individuals taking charge, well i gave OGS the benefit of doubt last year, right now the jury is out, top 4 finish should be a bare minimum with the squad we have
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Kunle
Egg
Egg

Post by Kunle »

LASK 0-1 ManU (HT)

Who's watching?
Na wa o, empty stadium is not good for this game at all. Looks and feels like a training session
KK
Kunle
Egg
Egg

Post by Kunle »

And Ighalo just wasted a brilliant goal in an empty stadium
KK
Kunle
Egg
Egg

Post by Kunle »

2-0 Good run by Daniel James
KK
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Kunle wrote:LASK 0-1 ManU (HT)

Who's watching?
Na wa o, empty stadium is not good for this game at all. Looks and feels like a training session
ManU may win it all.
Last edited by Cito on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
Kunle
Egg
Egg

Post by Kunle »

It's one way traffic

3-0 Mata
KK
Kunle
Egg
Egg

Post by Kunle »

Cito wrote:
Kunle wrote:LASK 0-1 ManU (HT)

Who's watching?
Who scored? :sneaky:
Kunle wrote:And Ighalo just wasted a brilliant goal in an empty stadium
Only Negative contributions?
Kunle wrote:2-0 Good run by Daniel James
Why didn't you praise the last scorer?
So you couldn't get yourself to praise your country man who scored, you rather criticize him and praise James when he scored. Did I get it right? :mrgreen:
I didn't mean to discredit Ighalo. All I was saying is his goal was too good for an empty stadium, you get my drift? I love his touches
Last edited by Kunle on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KK
Kunle
Egg
Egg

Post by Kunle »

4-0 Greenwood
5-0 Pareira

The demolition is complete. Great game for Man-U
KK
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Rest Ighalo return leg

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

In other news, Harry Maguire is a fortune teller. Before the Chelsea game a few weeks ago, he not only predicted that he would score, but actually said how he would score (from an in-swinging corner at the far post). Screenshots of this prediction:
https://www.90min.in/posts/6559463-text ... st-chelsea

https://www.espn.com/soccer/blog-the-to ... xt-message
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

United are experiencing an improving form but its in the premiership i want to see more consistency, to secure top 4 will be difficult! We have to keep on winning games, as for OGS, the nury is still out, will wait till end of season and where we end up, thats if the corona virus permits the season to end

Marko
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Odion Ighalo signs an extension to his loan deal until january

Marko
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

marko wrote:Odion Ighalo signs an extension to his loan deal until january
Bad news for us Arsenal fans.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

kajifu wrote:
Ighalo the ex-factor for united this season, he and Fernandes, different type of striker, the one that scores ugly goals! different from Mason, Rashford and Martial, we do not have the guy insided the box, now we found one

Marko
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

:lol: :lol: ManU tried to sign Sancho from Dortmund and Fatti from..... you guessed it Barcalona. :lol: :lol: :lol:
You cannot make this ish up! :shock:
https://www.bbc.com/sport/52973075
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Predicted line up for united on Friday? Bruno / Pogba/ Fred midfield quartet??

Marko
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

kajifu wrote:

Improve on your defensive game.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg