Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by tfco »

Week 1 - 1st
Week 2 - 2nd
Week 3 - 3rd
Week 4 - 4th
Week 5 - 7th

:?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

cyrilndo wrote:
cyrilndo wrote:Me sef, I did suspect this Pobga.
I am still to see what is good to him.

For those who have seen the super player he is, I am sorry I have been blind each time he was playing except during Euro 2016 :D
Many times I suspected Pobga and I have doubted him.
I learnt he was poor again today.
Pogba will surely prove his class. He is not the problem. The question is if Mourinho has the balls to take the hard decisions to make his team work effectively and efficiently. Is he going to protect the interest of the team or the interest of certain powerful individuals?
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

YemiBrazil wrote:
cyrilndo wrote:
cyrilndo wrote:Me sef, I did suspect this Pobga.
I am still to see what is good to him.

For those who have seen the super player he is, I am sorry I have been blind each time he was playing except during Euro 2016 :D
Many times I suspected Pobga and I have doubted him.
I learnt he was poor again today.
Pogba will surely prove his class. He is not the problem. The question is if Mourinho has the balls to take the hard decisions to make his team work effectively and efficiently. Is he going to protect the interest of the team or the interest of certain powerful individuals?
Exactly! The same type of ruthless streak of a guardiola! Mourinho too concerned about his PR, he better start earning his salary and fast, it damn obvious the team is disjointed, everyone played out of position just to accomodate Rooney, Start playing our best 11 and you will get results, its that simple
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

tfco wrote:Week 1 - 1st
Week 2 - 2nd
Week 3 - 3rd
Week 4 - 4th
Week 5 - 7th

don't cry
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

I will even consider buying Mikel to sit in front of the back 4, you cant shake Mikel off the ball
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

tfco wrote:Week 1 - 1st
Week 2 - 2nd
Week 3 - 3rd
Week 4 - 4th
Week 5 - 7th

why he skip 6 now?
or is he now accelerating downwards?
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Pogba is not the issue (even though I think paying 90 million for a midfielder is insane, and that Man Utd needed Kante more than they needed Pogba).

The issues are institutional carry over from the LVG era: a lack of dynamism and pace going forward. When Zlatan, Rooney, Fellaini, and Mata all play - it gives the team a somewhat ponderous tempo in attack. None of those guys is exactly Usain Bolt.

Another issue is that Man Utd currently has no one dictating the tempo, playing passes and controlling the game from deep. Real have Modric and Kroos, Chelsea have Matic, Bayern have Alonso. For that purpose, Michael Carrick should be in the team as he is the best passer in the team (honourable mention to Daley Blind) and can spray passes if he has willing runners in front of him. Rashford is playing in a way that makes him undroppable. Having Lingard or Young (he can cross) and Mkhitaryan (he can run with pace, create and score) out wide either side of him would give Man Utd a bit more zip.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Pogba is not the issue (even though I think paying 90 million for a midfielder is insane, and that Man Utd needed Kante more than they needed Pogba).

The issues are institutional carry over from the LVG era: a lack of dynamism and pace going forward. When Zlatan, Rooney, Fellaini, and Mata all play - it gives the team a somewhat ponderous tempo in attack. None of those guys is exactly Usain Bolt.

Another issue is that Man Utd currently has no one dictating the tempo, playing passes and controlling the game from deep. Real have Modric and Kroos, Chelsea have Matic, Bayern have Alonso. For that purpose, Michael Carrick should be in the team as he is the best passer in the team (honourable mention to Daley Blind) and can spray passes if he has willing runners in front of him. Rashford is playing in a way that makes him undroppable. Having Lingard or Young (he can cross) and Mkhitaryan (he can run with pace, create and score) out wide either side of him would give Man Utd a bit more zip.

True there was no one to control the game and make those killer pssses, we could have done with Carrick

Then there was this

[/video]

:biggrin:
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Wiseone, to start Rashford alongside Zlatan, United will have to change the shape considerably. Do they mirror Leicester's 4-4-2? That would require considerable discipline from midfield and certainly reduces Rooney to a bit part role. The squad has already shown its too thick to employ wingbacks and thus the next option is to sacrifice wingers all together and use a 4-3-1-2. A good solid system, weak out wide but solid centrally and with lateral runs from the forwards, the lack of width can be mitigated for.

vs Watford, the team shape was all over the place, rivaled only by team selection in buffoonery. Big decisions for Mourinho to make,does he have the cajones to change the shape, style and sentence the skipper to Davey Jones' locker?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I actually meant to start Rashford instead of Zlatan. Radical I know.
Coach wrote:@Wiseone, to start Rashford alongside Zlatan, United will have to change the shape considerably. Do they mirror Leicester's 4-4-2? That would require considerable discipline from midfield and certainly reduces Rooney to a bit part role. The squad has already shown its too thick to employ wingbacks and thus the next option is to sacrifice wingers all together and use a 4-3-1-2. A good solid system, weak out wide but solid centrally and with lateral runs from the forwards, the lack of width can be mitigated for.

vs Watford, the team shape was all over the place, rivaled only by team selection in buffoonery. Big decisions for Mourinho to make,does he have the cajones to change the shape, style and sentence the skipper to Davey Jones' locker?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

All of a sudden the EFL Cup game against Northampton takes on massive significance. Ordinarily Man Utd would have used it to play youth team players. If Jose plays the youth players and they lose, that will be 4 consecutive defeats in about 12 days and the pressure will be intolerable. He cannot take that risk. So the team is likely to be:

Johnstone
Darmian-Smalling-Blind-Rojo
Carrick-Schneiderlin
Young-Mkhitaryan(if fit)-Depay
Rashford

That might be the strongest team Man Utd has fielded in a League Cup game for several years. Shame as some of the youngsters like Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, Riley and others could do with the experience of first team games.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Fosu-Mensah should be given a crack at right-back, Darmien has been given enough time to stake his claim and hasn't cemented the spot. Timothy Fosu Co should be given a chance.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Coach, TFM is not a RB though. He is a DM or CD. LVG played him as a sixth choice RB because everyone else who could play there (Darmian, Valencia, Varela, Jones, Young) was injured. The last thing Man Utd needs is another player playing out of position. Right now De Gea, Smalling, Bailly, Shaw, Rooney, and Zlatan are the only players being played in their 'proper' position. The other 5 players are being played out of position.

Hard to build momentum where almost 50% of the team are not being played in their strongest position.

Coach wrote:Fosu-Mensah should be given a crack at right-back, Darmien has been given enough time to stake his claim and hasn't cemented the spot. Timothy Fosu Co should be given a chance.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Well, if indeed right back isn't his position, he didn't do half bad out there. Doesn't get in at centrehalf or defensive mid.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Another one who could get in at CD is Tuanzebe. He is simply too good for youth team and reserve football. Get him in the EFL squad or send him out on loan. If Ravel Morrison had his head screwed on properly and LVG had not been so quick to get rid of young talent, Man Utd's future team would be largely made up of youth team graduates and would have some of the best young players in the world:

De Gea
Rafa-Smalling-Bailly-Shaw
Fosu Mensah-Pogba
Lingard-Morrison-Martial
Rashford

Subs: Johnstone, Welbeck, Januzaj, Pereira, Borthwick-Jackson, Tuanzebe, M Keane.
Coach wrote:Well, if indeed right back isn't his position, he didn't do half bad out there. Doesn't get in at centrehalf or defensive mid.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Manchester United team runs fewest km in the league this season.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

...and Man City have run the most...which makes no sense given the fact they dominate possession in all their games. When a team has the ball all the time, they tend to run less. It is usually the team without possession that gets knackered from chasing around trying to get the ball back.
benteke wrote:Manchester United team runs fewest km in the league this season.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:...and Man City have run the most...which makes no sense given the fact they dominate possession in all their games. When a team has the ball all the time, they tend to run less. It is usually the team without possession that gets knackered from chasing around trying to get the ball back.
It makes in that when Manchester City doesn't have the ball they run very hard more than anyone else all over to win it back as soon as possible.

Their type of posession would be from pressing and winning the ball more often, rather than just passing around aimlessly, that's what I observe so far.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I hear you. Here is the conundrum: in their last few games Man City have had 60-65% possession. Which means that for 2/3 of the game, they are not pressing trying to get the ball back. They are only trying to win the ball back 1/3 of the time. Can the extra miles they ran really be accounted for by chasing the ball for only one-third of the game?
benteke wrote:
wiseone wrote:...and Man City have run the most...which makes no sense given the fact they dominate possession in all their games. When a team has the ball all the time, they tend to run less. It is usually the team without possession that gets knackered from chasing around trying to get the ball back.
It makes in that when Manchester City doesn't have the ball they run very hard more than anyone else all over to win it back as soon as possible.

Their type of posession would be from pressing and winning the ball more often, rather than just passing around aimlessly, that's what I observe so far.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:I hear you. Here is the conundrum: in their last few games Man City have had 60-65% possession. Which means that for 2/3 of the game, they are not pressing trying to get the ball back. They are only trying to win the ball back 1/3 of the time. Can the extra miles they ran really be accounted for by chasing the ball for only one-third of the game?
benteke wrote:

We could also add the way they keep interchanging positions and mov around etc when in posession of the ball.
Am now speculating though :biggrin:

But Mourinho's teams don't press at all, under LvG Man Utd was now good at pressing big teams.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

@Wiseone, notice that Liverpool and Spurs are also up there with City on distance in km covered this season.
These are all teams that employ pressing to the highest levels in the EPL.

I might not be far off to suggest that most of those km are spent trying to win back the ball when not in possession.

*By the way Ferguson recently said his never did a lot of pressing all season.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

benteke wrote:@Wiseone, notice that Liverpool and Spurs are also up there with City on distance in km covered this season.
These are all teams that employ pressing to the highest levels in the EPL.

I might not be far off to suggest that most of those km are spent trying to win back the ball when not in possession.

*By the way Ferguson recently said his never did a lot of pressing all season.
United was a fast counter-attacking team under Ferguson. They only press in packs towards the end of the match. For the most part they suck you in and pounce. It worked very well against possession teams with poor defensive structure and most Euro and EPL teams but if you block the outlets on the wings and you are very alert till the final whistle you can handle Fergie's United easily.

Jury is still out on Mourinho. The structure has been chaotic so far. Rooney is a big problem that needs to be addressed urgently. Accommodating him is becoming a huge clog.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

marko wrote:I will even consider buying Mikel to sit in front of the back 4, you cant shake Mikel off the ball

Rumor is that a 30 million pound bid is being prepared for Danny Drinkwater :rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.