Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - news & developments 2014/2015 seaso

Post by benteke »

marko wrote:
wiseone wrote:Yes, the odd thing about the Liverpool game is that the entire starting 11 was available to Moyes last season. None of the LVG signing started the game (Di Maria, Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Herrera, Falcao).

When I think about it, Moyes had a better squad than SAF had. Moyes had SAF's squad PLUS the best player from Chelsea, and the best player from Everton.
marko wrote: funny enough we beat liverpool with majority of Alex Ferguson side except Mata and Fellaini, if Van gaal can get more than 100% from the players each week, we will definitely finish top 4, we might not be playing well but that confidence factor winning 6 games on the trot is very important for the team, people seem to have forgotten its the same man united that have won 20 titles!!
It really put david Moyes into perspective, last season i could not believe that a team that won the title were playing like wimbledon, van Gaal will improve the team, he has done it around Europe, secretely our rivals will be having nightmares that the team is not even operating in full capacity but we are grinding results
it was interesting at the start of the season when we were struggling a bit, the media and some legends were starting to beat the drums that Moyes did better than LVG in his first 5 matches, therefore he should have been given more time and money :biggrin:

And its interesting that we beat Pool with Fergies boys, they are starting to regain that confidence that brought brought titles :thumbs:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

No, I am using the assessments of his coaches at Arsenal and Barcelona who said he is unprofessional, poor in training, undisciplined, and a bad time-keeper.
bamenda boy wrote: If I get you correctly, you are using an incident to assess a player on his whole career?
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

wiseone wrote:No, I am using the assessments of his coaches at Arsenal and Barcelona who said he is unprofessional, poor in training, undisciplined, and a bad time-keeper.
bamenda boy wrote: If I get you correctly, you are using an incident to assess a player on his whole career?
Source, please. No rumors.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Google na your friend sha.
bamenda boy wrote:Source, please. No rumors.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

marko wrote:Having a calmong effect on the pitch in intense situations is a skill, how people ate questioning all the accolades he has been getting shows they dont really know much about the game
wiseone wrote:The average Nigerian football fan only "sees" things like dribbles into the corner flag that go nowhere. They do not realise that not everyone has the dribbling skills of Okocha or the pace of CR7. Interception, anticipating, retaining possession, and strategic positioning are football skills. Players like Carrick are a "safety net" that allow players like CR7, Di Maria etc to express their flair.
get me wrong on this lads, those skills are exactly what i said i admired about Daley Blind, and if you remember carefully wiseone thats where you mentioned Carrick and thats what prompted our little discussion :smile:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I think Blind and Carrick are similar players ("quarterbacks"). That is why I do not think the two of them should play in central midfield together. I would play one of them alongside a more mobile midfielder (I would have loved it if the 60 million Di Maria fee had been used to buy Vidal and Pogba!).
benteke wrote: get me wrong on this lads, those skills are exactly what i said i admired about Daley Blind, and if you remember carefully wiseone thats where you mentioned Carrick and thats what prompted our little discussion :smile:
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:I think Blind and Carrick are similar players ("quarterbacks"). That is why I do no think the two of them should play in central midfield together. I would play one of them alongside a more mobile midfielder (I would have loved it if the 60 million Di Maria fee had been used to buy Vidal and Pogba!).
benteke wrote: get me wrong on this lads, those skills are exactly what i said i admired about Daley Blind, and if you remember carefully wiseone thats where you mentioned Carrick and thats what prompted our little discussion :smile:

how about Carrick & Blind, with Herrera as the mobile ball carrier, i thought it would be interesting.

i wonder what is LVG going to do when Blind is back, maybe one of them will be a ballplaying Centreback alongside Smalling, they do better than the shower thats is Evans and Jones
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

benteke wrote:
marko wrote:
wiseone wrote:Yes, the odd thing about the Liverpool game is that the entire starting 11 was available to Moyes last season. None of the LVG signing started the game (Di Maria, Shaw, Rojo, Blind, Herrera, Falcao).

When I think about it, Moyes had a better squad than SAF had. Moyes had SAF's squad PLUS the best player from Chelsea, and the best player from Everton.
marko wrote: funny enough we beat liverpool with majority of Alex Ferguson side except Mata and Fellaini, if Van gaal can get more than 100% from the players each week, we will definitely finish top 4, we might not be playing well but that confidence factor winning 6 games on the trot is very important for the team, people seem to have forgotten its the same man united that have won 20 titles!!
It really put david Moyes into perspective, last season i could not believe that a team that won the title were playing like wimbledon, van Gaal will improve the team, he has done it around Europe, secretely our rivals will be having nightmares that the team is not even operating in full capacity but we are grinding results
it was interesting at the start of the season when we were struggling a bit, the media and some legends were starting to beat the drums that Moyes did better than LVG in his first 5 matches, therefore he should have been given more time and money :biggrin:

And its interesting that we beat Pool with Fergies boys, they are starting to regain that confidence that brought brought titles :thumbs:
Confidence was really low at the start of the season, that was a key factor for united, now the same commentators that dismissed united are singing a different tune, they have not seen anything yet, once we get all our key men back, then the fireworks will start
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I actually like Blind as a LWB. It allows him to do what he does best: spray long crossfield passes (like the one for this)....

[/video]

The midfielder that Man Utd needs to play alongside Blind or Carrick is not employed at Man Utd. Two of them are at Juventus!

I feel Mata is a bit redundant in this Man Utd squad. Januzaj should go out on loan to get experience.
benteke wrote:
how about Carrick & Blind, with Herrera as the mobile ball carrier, i thought it would be interesting.

i wonder what is LVG going to do when Blind is back, maybe one of them will be a ballplaying Centreback alongside Smalling, they do better than the shower thats is Evans and Jones
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

TRANSFER GOSSIP
Real Madrid are prepared to smash the goalkeeping transfer record to sign Manchester United's David De Gea, 24, with a fee that is likely to eclipse the £33m paid for Gianluigi Buffon in 2001. (Daily Express)

well not really surprised, This was likely to happen and they will probably get their man unless man united counter offer a deal for him which should make him one of united highest paid players, this man should be on a minimum of 200K a week, i dont care where they get the money, this man is worth 20 points a season, if they decide to sell, man united should ask for at least 50 million pounds but they should have another potential world class keeper in mind, remember this man is still in his early 20s, he has at least 15-16 years in the game if he stays fit
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

mmh any praise to Carrick for the draw for Neville ?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Yep. Man Utd played better in the second half after he moved into midfield from defence. LVG changed the formation of the team and made a half-time substitution for the sole purpose of putting Carrick in midfield where he could most influence the game.
Last edited by wiseone on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Yep. Man Utd played better in the second half after he moved into midfield from defence. LVG changed the formation of the team and a half-time substitution for the sole purpose of putting Carrick in midfield where he could most influence the game.
i still dont know what exactly is missing in attack, you can spot a Man Utd draw at around 60mins, i dont know why Mata isnt as dangerous
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Funnily enough Man Utd looked more dangerous when Villa had 11 men! They found it more difficult to break down Villa after they went down to 10 men. I thought the tactical switch of moving Young to the right did not work because: (a) Di Maria was not match fit, lacked sharpness, and kept aiming pea roller shots from outside the box (b) Young had been tormenting Lowton on the left wing (including the run and cross that set up Falcao's goal). Switching him to the right gave Lowton respite.

Other highlights:
Mata is too slow and lightweight for games like this (fast paced physical away games at hostile grounds).
Falcao looked tidy. Laid the ball off nicely and his celebration after the goal showed him for what he is: a pure penalty box predator hungry for goals. He reminds me of Van Nisteelrooy in that he is totally uninterested in what happens outside the box. He just wants to get into the box and score. I am not sure his body can stay injury free long enough to justify paying 40 million for him though.

benteke wrote:
wiseone wrote:Yep. Man Utd played better in the second half after he moved into midfield from defence. LVG changed the formation of the team and a half-time substitution for the sole purpose of putting Carrick in midfield where he could most influence the game.
i still dont know what exactly is missing in attack, you can spot a Man Utd draw at around 60mins, i dont know why Mata isnt as dangerous
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

benteke wrote:
We've become the new Arsenal...make 20 passes in the opposition half but then lose the ball in the final third. So annoying

With SAF we were direct. Pass the ball and try and get into the GK area.

How many PK's have we had this term?

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

tfco wrote:
benteke wrote:
We've become the new Arsenal...make 20 passes in the opposition half but then lose the ball in the final third. So annoying

With SAF we were direct. Pass the ball and try and get into the GK area.

How many PK's have we had this term?
You are right. You get penalties when your moves end in the penalty area especially in a fast paced physical league like the EPL. That's the simple fact that flew over the head of most Man United haters. The penalties stopped coming when the pattern changed.
I want some passes without losing the direct approach. United had it with Sir Alex. Holland had it under Van Gaal. United will surely get there. The problem is still with the defence. When that is resolved everything will start coming together.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Funnily enough Man Utd looked more dangerous when Villa had 11 men! They found it more difficult to break down Villa after they went down to 10 men. I thought the tactical switch of moving Young to the right did not work because: (a) Di Maria was not match fit, lacked sharpness, and kept aiming pea roller shots from outside the box (b) Young had been tormenting Lowton on the left wing (including the run that and cross that set up Falcao's goal). Switching him to the right gave Lowton respite.

Other highlights:
Mata is too slow and lightweight for games like this (fast paced physical away games at hostile grounds).
Falcao looked tidy. Laid the ball off nicely and his celebration after the goal showed him for what he is: a pure penalty box predator hungry for goals. He reminds me of Van Nisteelrooy in that he is totally uninterested in what happens outside the box. He just wants to get into the box and score. I am not sure his body can stay injury free long enough to justify paying 40 million for him though.

looks like we are find easier to create against teams that want to play, hence why we score more when we are being outplayed.
After the red, Villa simply shut up shop and we ran out of ideas.
Thats why we draw or lose all the matches where we play well and control possesion
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Benteke/Tfco et al - honestly, had SAF been in charge of a Man Utd team playing a Villa team with only 10 men, with 25 minutes left to go, what do you think the final result would have been?

These are the types of games where Man Utd (under SAF) used to lay siege to the opposition goal, wear them down with relentless pressure, then score a last minute winner.

Also, how come there was only 3 minutes of injury time? Young's injury alone (after the Agbonlahor red card) held up the game for about 4 minutes. Then the Villa fans wasted another 3 minutes or so by refusing to give the ball back to Man Utd every time they got a corner. Why did the referee not stop the clock that blatant time wasting?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Benteke/Tfco et al - honestly, had SAF been in charge of a Man Utd team playing a Villa team with only 10 men, with 25 minutes left to go, what do you think the final result would have been?

These are the types of games where Man Utd (under SAF) used to lay siege to the opposition goal, wear them down with relentless pressure, then score a last minute winner.

Also, how come there was only 3 minutes of injury time? Young's injury alone (after the Agbonlahor red card) held up the game for about 4 minutes. Then the Villa fans wasted another 3 minutes or so by refusing to give the ball back to Man Utd every time they got a corner. Why did the referee not stop the clock that blatant time wasting?
our shaky defence makes the team more hesitant in attack and scared of being caught on the break, like what happened couple of time Villa almost scored at the end

Under Fergie, the team would flood the opposition 18 area , Scholes and carrick continuously lobbing the the ball very quickly up front and wide to pacy wingers, sustained pressure till a team buckles
grandverve
Egg
Egg

Post by grandverve »

I think our opposition scouts needs to be changed. The number of times LvG has had to change tactics or personnel by HT that isn't because of injury is worrying. It's either that or LvG has a knack for picking the wrong players in his starting XI
"THE GENTILITY OF A LION SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AS COWARDICE"

A Manchester United FC FANantic - Our history makes us STRONG, your hatred makes us STRONGER
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Glad you mentioned the defence. Did you see Evans stand there and watch Benteke control a ball on his chest, get it down, shape onto his left foot, and calmly curl it into the top corner...in the Man Utd penalty area! :shock: Do you honestly think a no-nonsense defender like Shawcross would have stood there admiring Benteke while he did all that? A Shawcross, Vidic, or Kompany would have been offended if Benteke merely thought about having time to do that in their penalty area.
benteke wrote: our shaky defence makes the team more hesitant in attack and scared of being caught on the break, like what happened couple of time Villa almost scored at the end

Under Fergie, the team would flood the opposition 18 area , Scholes and carrick continuously lobbing the the ball very quickly up front and wide to pacy wingers, sustained pressure till a team buckles
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

If I start talking about Mr. Evans you would think I'm a whining Arsenal fan :D :lol:

It was still 1-1 and around the 90th minute - Aston Villa already down to 10 men. It was right after one of their occasional forays into Man United's goal area and Mr Evans got possession of the ball on the left side of United's penalty area. He had several options on what to do with the ball. His mind probably went back to the joy and media attention of the pain he inflicted on United fans during the ill-fated trip to 'mighty' MK Dons. He chose to put his team under more pressure by picking out a well positioned Aston Villa midfielder just outside the right edge of United's penalty area! Knucklehead or Ewu as we call his likes in Nigeria decided it's time to play Santa one more time and make the home team fans happy :scared: .

The Aston Villa player could not believe his luck - he was probably still beckoning on his inner strength to muster a 'God help us' chase on United's fast and furious forwards to avoid the typical sucker punch.

Fortunately for United the resultant effort by Aston Villa was wasted.

Mr Evans is a legend in the making but not sure if Bashorun Gaal would be excited :D .
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Tactically, United do not have the setup to lay siege to Precinct 13 let alone a West Midland's rearguard, midwinter. In days of old the ball would be flying out to the flanks for marauding runners to hit the byline and throw it into the box. Today, their game is perhaps more cerebral, with slow transmissions at the synapses. Van Gaal is still trying to sell the world his 3-5-2, despite United's DNA baring the genetic code of its exact antithesis. Its all too slow on the Mancunian front, but, that said, they're picking up points, getting some wind under the sails and could well take off, with a little tinker. A few pacey blacks and they're back in business, Big Yannick Bolasie one side, Wilfred Zaha the other....zoooooooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!! Darius Vassell through the middle, still got it over the first 20 yards!