Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - news & developments 2014/2015 seaso

Post by wiseone »

Ah well, at least Man Utd still have Anderson...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... qus_thread
Globero
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Globero »

wiseone wrote:Ah well, at least Man Utd still have Anderson...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... qus_thread
:laugh:
From this day forth, I stand by the entity that is ARSENAL.
I'm in despair when we lose, I rejoice when we win and I become emotional for all that happens in between
but may no one dare say I was not there when its all said and done - Globero
Lager-back
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Lager-back »

benteke wrote:
wiseone wrote:Comparison of Man Utd playing 3 at the back versus 4 at the back...

well well well :biggrin:

LVG must sort this out coz we just need to start playing well, Choksea and Manshitty are starting to play in a way that worries me
Corrected
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

even Arsenal is managing to make progress signing a CB, Paulista of Villareal, they are addressing key issues

Why is Man Utd struggling to identify targets or get someone in, i'm afraid with the likes of Evans/Jones marshalling our defence then im not confident of top 4.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

clearly 3-5-2 is not the problem, today same lame attack vs lowly Cambridge -and Man U was playing 4-4-2 that fans were crying for
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

benteke wrote:clearly 3-5-2 is not the problem, today same lame attack vs lowly Cambridge -and Man U was playing 4-4-2 that fans were crying for
my feeling is that LVG must play proper central midfielders in midfield - Strictly !
Just play any of Carrick, Herrera, Mata, Blind, Felliani in a 3 man central mid
Keep wingers wide, strikers up front, simple, whatever the formation
Putting thi like of Rooney or Januzaj in mid wil continue to yield draws
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

4-2-3-1 is the way to go. Playing wingers is in Man Utd's DNA. I would like to see a team next season of:

DDG
Rafa-Shawcross-Jones-Rojo
Carrick-Sissoko
Rooney-Reus-Di Maria (interchangeable)
RVP (or preferably a striker with pace if we can get one!)

Subs: Blind, Smalling, Herrera, Khedira, Zaha, [A.N. Other Striker]

On another note, Ravel Morrison's contract expires at the end of the season. I know he is a "bomb scare" but is he worth another gamble?
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

LVG's tactics of a slow build up with patient possession would be very effective in the Champions League. Sadly, Manchester United are not playing in the Champions League this season. A slow passing based build up is very difficult to maintain in the 100 miles per hour, Helter Skelter, lung busting, bruising, intense pace of the Premier League.
Metho scorpion
Egg
Egg

Post by Metho scorpion »

wiseone wrote:4-2-3-1 is the way to go. Playing wingers is in Man Utd's DNA. I would like to see a team next season of:

DDG
Rafa-Shawcross-Jones-Rojo
Carrick-Sissoko
Rooney-Reus-Di Maria (interchangeable)
RVP (or preferably a striker with pace if we can get one!)

Subs: Blind, Smalling, Herrera, Khedira, Zaha, [A.N. Other Striker]

On another note, Ravel Morrison's contract expires at the end of the season. I know he is a "bomb scare" but is he worth another gamble?
...u for real...? Reus which Reus...? bros na dream be that. Reus no wan come na Real Madrid dey for n'heart.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:LVG's tactics of a slow build up with patient possession would be very effective in the Champions League. Sadly, Manchester United are not playing in the Champions League this season. A slow passing based build up is very difficult to maintain in the 100 miles per hour, Helter Skelter, lung busting, bruising, intense pace of the Premier League.
:agree:

it also requires the right kind of players
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Funnily enough I think Man Utd would have done ok in the Champions League this season. Players like Mata, Di Maria, Falcao, Januzaj would benefit from the more peaceful tackling in the Champions League (whereas they get bullied by physical EPL players).
benteke wrote:
wiseone wrote:LVG's tactics of a slow build up with patient possession would be very effective in the Champions League. Sadly, Manchester United are not playing in the Champions League this season. A slow passing based build up is very difficult to maintain in the 100 miles per hour, Helter Skelter, lung busting, bruising, intense pace of the Premier League.

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Funnily enough I think Man Utd would have done ok in the Champions League this season. Players like Mata, Di Maria, Falcao, Januzaj would benefit from the more peaceful tackling in the Champions League (whereas they get bullied by physical EPL players).
benteke wrote:

thing is the nature of Premier League is mostly results style doesnt matter much, thats why Fergie could get away with an average midfield and unconvincing style for so long in his last years, especially since the injury of Hargreaves and the decline of Scholes.

Its really been a very long time since Man Utd played great football constantly, the last i can think of is when CR7 and Tevez were around and Quieroz was assistant coach, after that it was results results and Fergie was getting them nomatter what or how bad we played and result is we became less and less confident in posession as a team, thats why each time Man Utd got a red card they just collapsed - CL matches vs R.Madrid and Bayern come to mind.#
This is also a big reason why Barcelona made a fool of Man Utd twice in CL Finals and also Athletic Bilbao in Europa

i believe its good for LVG to make make Man Utd a team that can be comfortable in posession, and at the same time also be able to switch and sit back and counter using different formations like 3-5-2 when need be.
However this will take time and wont be as easy given that Fergie's ways are too ingrained in the club

if you look at Liverpool now, Rogers first instilled posession in them, and even though he struugled at first and finished 7th in his 1st season, it payed off when they challenged for the title, they could easily dominate , score and switch to counter attack and that way they sliced teams apart with ease, and looks like this is still the case now esp. when i look how they held their own against Chelsea and Arsenal
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Today Man Utd had Paddy McNair and Adnan Januzaj in their team for their home game against Leicester.

It was the 3726th CONSECUTIVE game that Man Utd have had a player from their youth academy in the match day squad: going back almost 80 years to October 1937. :shock:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Today Man Utd had Paddy McNair and Adnan Januzaj in their team for their home game against Leicester.

It was the 3726th CONSECUTIVE game that Man Utd have had a player from their youth academy in the match day squad: going back almost 80 years to October 1937. :shock:
:thumb: great , long may this continue

and let me say once again, Daley Blind is our best new signing
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Like I said. Blind "gets it". He is a pass addict and football's answer to Glen McGrath (metronomic, accurate delivery, reliable, steady).

I am also pleased to report that Man Utd have withdrawn financial support for the Let Phil Jones Take Corners Project.
benteke wrote:
wiseone wrote:Today Man Utd had Paddy McNair and Adnan Januzaj in their team for their home game against Leicester.

:thumb: great , long may this continue

and let me say once again, Daley Blind is our best new signing
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Like I said. Blind "gets it". He is a pass addict and football's answer to Glen McGrath (metronomic, accurate delivery, reliable, steady).

I am also pleased to report that Man Utd have withdrawn financial support for the Let Phil Jones Take Corners Project.
:thumbs: i like your analogy, i see you are a cricket fan as well.
That generation of the Aussie team was fantastic, i used to like Adam Gilchrist and Warne

Daley Blind is the one who 'gets' LVG's philosophy, i like how he makes us control games. If everyone else can buy into this then we will be one formidable side, one that can go on and on even when LVG is gone,
I hope LVG is here in summer and be allowed to bring in more his kind of guys like Blind who 'get it'

On Phil Jones, it really says a lot about him as a player that theres an outcry from Man Utd fans when he takes corners - not even free kick on the edge of 18 area, but a mere corner :rotf:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Benteke, I think Man Utd fans would threaten to riot if Big Phil is allowed to take a common throw in sef! (if he was allowed to take a penalty, it'd be seen as the sign of the Apocalypse).

I admired that Aussie team too. Gilchrist was a destroyer. "Punter" Ponting was majestic in the middle order, and S.Waugh ground opposition attacks down with his attritional batting.

No sports team in living memory was as destructive, feared, talented, or dominant as the West Indies though. Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Richards, Haynes, Greenidge, Dujon... They were undefeated for 15 (yes FIFTEEN!) years. :shock: Nowadays teams rarely go undefeated for 1-3 years let alone FIFTEEN!
benteke wrote:
:thumbs: i like your analogy, i see you are a cricket fan as well.
That generation of the Aussie team was fantastic, i used to like Adam Gilchrist and Warne

Daley Blind is the one who 'gets' LVG's philosophy, i like how he makes us control games. If everyone else can buy into this then we will be one formidable side, one that can go on and on even when LVG is gone,
I hope LVG is here in summer and be allowed to bring in more his kind of guys like Blind who 'get it'

On Phil Jones, it really says a lot about him as a player that theres an outcry from Man Utd fans when he takes corners - not even free kick on the edge of 18 area, but a mere corner :rotf:
Last edited by wiseone on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Benteke, I think Man Utd fans would threaten to riot if Big Phil is allowed to take a common throw in sef! (if he was allowed to take a penalty, it'd be seen as the sign of the Apocalypse).

I admired that Aussie team too. Gilchrist was a destroyer. "Punter" Ponting was majestic in the middle order, and S.Waugh ground opposition attacks down with his attritional batting.

No sports team in living memory was as destructive, feared, talented, or dominant as the West Indies. Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Richards, Haynes, Greenidge, Dujon...

They were undefeated for 15 (yes FIFTEEN!) years. :shock: Nowadays teams rarely go undefeated for 1-3 years let alone FIFTEEN!

incidentally yesterday a good friend of mine was talking about this West Indies and drawing parrallels with African football in terms of how everyone is currently looking down on AFCON and how it looks like a joke to everyone else with its relaxed and chaotic nature despite the obvious talent - he was saying it reminded him of how West Indies came into the scene and everyone mocked their jokey relaxed nature even though they clearly had potential , but once they got going everyone had maximum respect, very few could live with the power pace, talent combination.
Africa could go same way
But that West Indeis was truly something else
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Wilfried Zaha gone back to Crystal Palace permanently

Anderson finally leaving to go to Internacional in Brazil

what went wrong for the boy, he had a good future when he arrived
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Nowadays a bowler is regarded as "aggressive" if he bowls a bouncer or two an over. In their prime the West Indies fast bowlers used 90mph bouncers aimed at the throat, head, or ribcage as their stock ball!

Who can forget the terrifying spell of bowling by Courtney Walsh and Ian Bishop at Robin Smith in 1990, where Walsh broke Smith's jaw? They bowled 14 consecutive short balls at him. :shock:

Terrifying stuff:

[/video]
benteke wrote: incidentally yesterday a good friend of mine was talking about this West Indies and drawing parrallels with African football in terms of how everyone is currently looking down on AFCON and how it looks like a joke to everyone else with its relaxed and chaotic nature despite the obvious talent - he was saying it reminded him of how West Indies came into the scene and everyone mocked their jokey relaxed nature even though they clearly had potential , but once they got going everyone had maximum respect, very few could live with the power pace, talent combination.
Africa could go same way
But that West Indeis was truly something else
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I do not like the way LVG is getting rid of Man Utd's best young players (Keane, Welbeck, Zaha) and keeping the iffy ones (McNair, Blackett).
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

wiseone wrote:I do not like the way LVG is getting rid of Man Utd's best young players (Keane, Welbeck, Zaha) and keeping the iffy ones (McNair, Blackett).
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:I do not like the way LVG is getting rid of Man Utd's best young players (Keane, Welbeck, Zaha) and keeping the iffy ones (McNair, Blackett).

for me the only one i might regret there is Welbeck, the other 2 meh.
Didnt see anything special from Zaha