Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Man Utd about to shell 40 million for Bailly

Post by spastic »

wiseone wrote:Bailly is very strong and has lots of pace. I heard someone say Bailly is the player Man City thought they bought when they bought Mangala. :lol:

That said, Bailly is not yet the finished article. He has some rough edges that have to be smoothened out (needs to be less rash with his challenges and improve his decision making). If he plays beside a more composed and experienced player like Blind or Smalling, he could develop very well.
Mangala was just a silly buy. Bailey was offered to City for 6 million last season. But Pep declined thru back channels. I think he had his heart set on Laporte and Stones. Unfortunately Laporte chickened out of the revolution :( But it is well. We'll find Stones partner soon enough.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

YUJAM wrote:
mcal wrote:
txj wrote:
mcal wrote:...the guy dey play like him wan prove something until he go jam a bad oyinbo referee wey go issue am red.
I still like his play, full of intimidation like that plantainian Rigobert Song of Liverpool fame :thumbs:

And we all know how it ended for Song in the EPL...
He is talented though; but nowhere near the hype or the txfer fees...
...but intimidation are of different forms if you can mask it. I guess he is so far doing it right, better than Song did.
He has immense talent. He is the kind of defender that can mark any player one on one. He also plays the ball very well. However he has to watch it with the wicked fouls. The refs are going to punish him for that. He may get away with it in England but he will be given a straight red for that stuff in Europe
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I remember he marked Ronaldo out of the game when they played Madrid. Ronaldo almost cried! Kept complaining all game long. I had not watched a lot of Bailly until the last 1 month. I am very impressed, optimistic and proud of the kid. He was clearly the best performer on the pitch yesterday.

As for his rash tackles, I agree with you. He will have to calm down and calculate the game better. He has a coach who is good at teaching that, anyway, so that should be no problem.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wiseone wrote:Bailly is very strong and has lots of pace. I heard someone say Bailly is the player Man City thought they bought when they bought Mangala. :lol:

That said, Bailly is not yet the finished article. He has some rough edges that have to be smoothened out (needs to be less rash with his challenges and improve his decision making). If he plays beside a more composed and experienced player like Blind or Smalling, he could develop very well.
God forbid! How can he be finished article at 22? :oops: :oops:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

spastic wrote:

Mangala was just a silly buy. Bailey was offered to City for 6 million last season. But Pep declined thru back channels. I think he had his heart set on Laporte and Stones. Unfortunately Laporte chickened out of the revolution :( But it is well. We'll find Stones partner soon enough.
LOL! FALSE! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

BAILLY TURNED CITY DOWN! Drogba spoke to him to choose United and he did! No need to make things up.

Furthermore, Stones was NOT your first or even second choice. Pep wanted Laporte, who turned you down. Then wanted bailly, who turned you down again. Then he wanted Bonucci, who turned you down again, before the went for Stones as a last option.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rogba.html

http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier-le ... ter-united
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

marko wrote:very calm on the ball, like his play, all defenders will see red at some point, Baily is no different
Even a gentle me saw red a couple of times from some tribalist refs in naija league :D
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

danfo driver wrote:
spastic wrote:

LOL! FALSE! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

BAILLY TURNED CITY DOWN! Drogba spoke to him to choose United and he did! No need to make things up.

Furthermore, Stones was NOT your first or even second choice. Pep wanted Laporte, who turned you down. Then wanted bailly, who turned you down again. Then he wanted Bonucci, who turned you down again, before the went for Stones as a last option.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... rogba.html

http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier-le ... ter-united
Laporte did. Bailey did not. While I generally am never bothered by whether one player turned us down or not, I know for a fact that we had a 6 million option for Bailey last year and said no. Stones and Larpote were joint top options. Pep wanted 2 ball playing CBs. Both Stones and Laporte have been on the list since before the summer. Last time England played at the Etihad before the Euros, check the photos, Stones did not leave with the England squad. Stayed back at the Ethihad with his agents to take a tour of the stadium. Last season he came to watch the City V PSG game as a fan. Stones and Laporte were the 2 options. Then Bonucci was sounded out. At no point did we ever have interests in signing Bailey. His agent made contact Txiki considered it for the price 6- 8 million last summer. But I think Pep vetoed it. Bailey confirmed he didn't get a call bacl from Pep.

So this is not me saying it. Bailey did.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

spastic wrote: Laporte did. Bailey did not. While I generally am never bothered by whether one player turned us down or not, I know for a fact that we had a 6 million option for Bailey last year and said no. Stones and Larpote were joint top options. Pep wanted 2 ball playing CBs. Both Stones and Laporte have been on the list since before the summer. Last time England played at the Etihad before the Euros, check the photos, Stones did not leave with the England squad. Stayed back at the Ethihad with his agents to take a tour of the stadium. Last season he came to watch the City V PSG game as a fan. Stones and Laporte were the 2 options. Then Bonucci was sounded out. At no point did we ever have interests in signing Bailey. His agent made contact Txiki considered it for the price 6- 8 million last summer. But I think Pep vetoed it. Bailey confirmed he didn't get a call bacl from Pep.

You and I will have to believe our original thoughts. City had a 6 million option to sign Bailly last year which Pep (the bayern coach) turned down for City. Then the same bayern coach who is now the coach of City goes back to try to sign Bailly 3 months ago. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Lets not also forget that City spent 40 million on Otamendi last year . Now, Pep benches Otamendi in favor of Kolarov (a left back), or was Pep not made aware of Otamendi before he was purchased last year?

The facts are the facts. Even Bailly has come out and said City approached him this year and he turned them down. He no want! Stones may have been YOUR first option, but he wasnt Pep's.

Anyway, its all good.
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

danfo driver wrote:
spastic wrote: Laporte did. Bailey did not. While I generally am never bothered by whether one player turned us down or not, I know for a fact that we had a 6 million option for Bailey last year and said no. Stones and Larpote were joint top options. Pep wanted 2 ball playing CBs. Both Stones and Laporte have been on the list since before the summer. Last time England played at the Etihad before the Euros, check the photos, Stones did not leave with the England squad. Stayed back at the Ethihad with his agents to take a tour of the stadium. Last season he came to watch the City V PSG game as a fan. Stones and Laporte were the 2 options. Then Bonucci was sounded out. At no point did we ever have interests in signing Bailey. His agent made contact Txiki considered it for the price 6- 8 million last summer. But I think Pep vetoed it. Bailey confirmed he didn't get a call bacl from Pep.

You and I will have to believe our original thoughts. City had a 6 million option to sign Bailly last year which Pep (the bayern coach) turned down for City. Then the same bayern coach who is now the coach of City goes back to try to sign Bailly 3 months ago. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Lets not also forget that City spent 40 million on Otamendi last year . Now, Pep benches Otamendi in favor of Kolarov (a left back), or was Pep not made aware of Otamendi before he was purchased last year?

The facts are the facts. Even Bailly has come out and said City approached him this year and he turned them down. He no want! Stones may have been YOUR first option, but he wasnt Pep's.

Anyway, its all good.
Danfo, if you don't know, ask! Otamendi has a thigh strain. I reckon he'll be back starting once fully fit. Pep doesn't like Kolarov as a left back. Doesn't have the size, speed or technique to play it he way pep wants. Frankly none of our senior fullbacks do. But because of his size and his long ball passing abilities, I think Pep believes he can succeed at CB. In essense, play what Laporte was supposed to play (albeit vastly inferior).

Back story, Pep has known for over 18 months he'd be coaching City. Debruyne, and Sterling were both sanctioned by Pep. Don't think Otamendi was. He was just a very good defender who was available as we were supposed to lose Demichelis. Demichelis move fell thru and we ended up with 4 senior CBs. The injury prone Capito, Ota, Demi and Mang. Then Demi's game went sought drastically.

We were never in for Bailey. Then again, we are linked to anybody worth a dime. Just paper talk.
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

spastic wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Anyway, its all good.
Danfo, if you don't know, ask! Otamendi has a thigh strain. I reckon he'll be back starting once fully fit. Pep doesn't like Kolarov as a left back. Doesn't have the size, speed or technique to play it he way pep wants. Frankly none of our senior fullbacks do. But because of his size and his long ball passing abilities, I think Pep believes he can succeed at CB. In essense, play what Laporte was supposed to play (albeit vastly inferior).

Back story, Pep has known for over 18 months he'd be coaching City. Debruyne, and Sterling were both sanctioned by Pep. Don't think Otamendi was. He was just a very good defender who was available as we were supposed to lose Demichelis. Demichelis move fell thru and we ended up with 4 senior CBs. The injury prone Capito, Ota, Demi and Mang. Then Demi's game went sought drastically.

We were never in for Bailey. Then again, we are linked to anybody worth a dime. Just paper talk.
spastic, who is "Bailey?" You keep referring to him, and no such person plays for Man United. The CB who plays for United is called "Bailly", pronounced Bayi. Get it right. :idea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Bailly
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... debut.html
http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier-le ... he-weekend
spastic
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by spastic »

ohsee wrote:
spastic wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Anyway, its all good.

spastic, who is "Bailey?" You keep referring to him, and no such person plays for Man United. The CB who plays for United is called "Bailly", pronounced Bayi. Get it right. :idea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Bailly
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... debut.html
http://www.espnfc.us/english-premier-le ... he-weekend
Lol. My bad. Bayi
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

spastic wrote: Lol. My bad. Bayi
:D :taunt:
By the way, in Igbo Wawa dialect "bayi" means "our home," and is short for "wata bayi" or "our homeboy." Our homeboy was impressive vs Bournemouth. Wish City had bought him. :(
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

spastic wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Anyway, its all good.

So how come Pep "sanctioned" the 30 million pound signing of Wilfried Bony, and now has sent him out of the team? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Well, Like I said you and I will NEVER agree on this. I know the clubs interested in bailly were:

Man United
City
Barcelona
Dortmund

Furthermore,

1. Do you think Bailly will lie that he got an offer from City and even spoke to City's assistant coach?
2. Would City not refute it if it was a lie?
Last edited by danfo driver on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

ohsee wrote:
spastic wrote: Lol. My bad. Bayi
:D :taunt:
By the way, in Igbo Wawa dialect "bayi" means "our home," and is short for "wata bayi" or "our homeboy." Our homeboy was impressive vs Bournemouth. Wish City had bought him. :(

Sir, its pronounced "Beyi" :tic: :tic:
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by wiseone »

Really scary thing is the number of internationals/high quality players that did not even start the game v Southampton:

Smalling
Herrera
Rashford
Mkhitaryan
Schneiderlin
Young
Romero

Plus: Carrick, Schweinsteiger, Jones, Rojo, Darmian, Depay, Lingard were not even in the squad! :shock:

The strength in depth is impressive. Right now, Man Utd's reserve team is:

Romero
Darmian-Smalling-Jones-Rojo
Carrick-Herrera
Young-Mkhitaryan-Depay
Rashford

No space for Lingard and Schneiderlin in the reserves!
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Looks like the kids are going on loan, Blackett, Borthwick-Jackson, Januzaj.
Mcnair sold.
Rashford I doubt will be starting a lot.
Memphis, i won't be shocked if i hear he is being ditched.

But Mourinho is here strictly for business, to win things, and that's what fans want right now.

And football is brutal, LVG brought forward most of the kids but since he was not winning, the critics came out in force.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Pereira may be next to go on loan. That would be good for his development as he is a very talented player. Fulham's manager Slavisa Jokanovic wanted him to take him on loan for the season but the move was blocked by the club's data expert/statistician (who bizarrely has a veto power over club transfers).

I also fear that Schweinsteiger (obviously!), Carrick, Mata, Darmian, and Young may leave.
For the kids, my assessment is:

Develop for the future: Rashford, Shaw, Depay, Januzaj, Pereira, Tuanzebe, Williams, Riley
Sell: Wilson, Keane

Benteke - the funny thing is LVG would have kept his job if he had won that penultimate game last season against WHUFC...in which case Man Utd would be in the Champions League instead of Man City, and Pep would have the ignominy of starting his Man City career in the Europa League.
Last edited by wiseone on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Pereira may be next to go on loan. That would be good for his development as he is a very talented player. Fulham's manager Slavisa Jokanovic wanted him to take him on loan for the season but the move was blocked by the club's data expert/statistician (who bizarrely has a veto power over club transfers).

I also fear that Schweinsteiger (obviously!), Carrick, Mata, Darmian, and Young may

Develop for the future: Rashford, Shaw, Depay, Januzaj, Pereira, Tuanzebe, Williams, Riley

Benteke - the funny thing is LVG would have kept his job if he had won that penultimate game last season against WHUFC...in which case Man Utd would be in the Champions League instead of Man City, and Pep would have the ignominy of starting his Man City career in the Europa League.

I admire Van Gaal for being brave enough to keep starting these kids together in big matches, that's one thing i won't forget about him.
And also when i keep seeing Blind, Valencia in defence and Mata, Rooney, Martial in the same roles,

Anyway now we are in a new era, i think i am ready to move on from Moyes/LVG transition, to winning things under Jose, but i will give him 2 seasons :thumbs:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

wiseone wrote:Pereira may be next to go on loan. That would be good for his development as he is a very talented player. Fulham's manager Slavisa Jokanovic wanted him to take him on loan for the season but the move was blocked by the club's data expert/statistician (who bizarrely has a veto power over club transfers).

I also fear that Schweinsteiger (obviously!), Carrick, Mata, Darmian, and Young may

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

No chance. Your new manager was hired in December 2015.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

thought they said Pogba was overrated haha
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Christian Benteke just joined Crystal Palace for 32 million (a year after Liverpool bought him for the same amount). So basically Liverpool have bought and sold a player without losing market value.

It really struck me that when Man Utd buy a player they always pay over the odds/inflated fees (60 million for Di Maria, 29 million for Fellaini, 60 million for Martial, 29 million for RVP etc). Yet when they sell players, they almost give them away. A few examples:

1) Man Utd bought Di Maria for 60 million and sold him for 45 million less than a year later (15 million loss in less than a year!).
2) Bought Zaha for 15 million, sold him for 3 million (11 million loss).
3) Bought RVP for 29 million, sold him for about 6 million (23 million loss).
4) Sold promising England U21 international defender Michael Keane to Burnley for 3 million (the same summer, Burnley sold an out of contract Danny Ings for 8 million!)
5) Bought Nani for 17 million, sold him for 3 million (and paid his wages while he played for another team).
6) Bought Berbatov for 30 million, sold him for 2 million (28 million loss).
7) Sold 22yo Welbeck (England international) to one of their top rivals for 16 million. Meanwhile strikers of his ilk are being sold for upwards of 30 million (Benteke, Bolasie etc).

Something is really wrong in the transfer planning dept at Man Utd.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

danfo driver wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

No chance. Your new manager was hired in December 2015.
I watched that game and I am of an unshakeable believe that DDG deliberately let in the equalizer and the winning goal.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

I also fear that Schweinsteiger (obviously!), Carrick, Mata, Darmian, and Young may leave.

LVG made a lot of mistakes during his time at United, but when I watched that game i found myself blaming players they let us down, i don't know what more LVG had to do in that game, it was a game where we needed leaders on the pitch, and the whole team flopped, all they had to do was protect the most important lead in years and they crumbled.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

They should never have been in the position of having to win away against West Ham in their last game at Upton Park. There were mitigating circumstances for the players such as the West Ham "fans" terrorist attack on the Man Utd team bus before the game (did the FA punish West Ham for that?...).

They lost the CL spot long before then. What cost them is their inability to hold a lead and see out a game from winning positions. They were 2-0 up against Newcastle and ended up drawing after an injury time Newcastle goal. They were winning against Chelsea and conceded an injury time equaliser after that brainless "pass" by Depay that gave possession back to Chelsea. They conceded a goal in the dying minutes against Southampton. The dropped points from those games (which would have them in 3rd place above Arsenal if they could have just concentrated for another few seconds) is what cost them.

However the players should never have been in that must-win situation to begin with.

benteke wrote: LVG made a lot of mistakes during his time at United, but when I watched that game i found myself blaming players they let us down, i don't know what more LVG had to do in that game, it was a game where we needed leaders on the pitch, and the whole team flopped, all they had to do was protect the most important lead in years and they crumbled.
Last edited by wiseone on Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.