Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by mcal »

...scrappy win for them today, only cheer is their noisy neighbor lost to a minnow.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

We have seen a 16 year old player for Barcelona shining, at united, he will be kept in the youth team, our coach maintains Mason Greenwood is united deadly finisher, well he should be on the pitch and stop playing to the gallery, yesterday was a prime example, he was desperate for the win and went for older heads, except the fact Mata and Matic are way past it and we could have drawn the game, OGS has to start playing the likes of Gomes and the rest because we risk losing him to another team
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

marko wrote:We have seen a 16 year old player for Barcelona shining, at united, he will be kept in the youth team, our coach maintains Mason Greenwood is united deadly finisher, well he should be on the pitch and stop playing to the gallery, yesterday was a prime example, he was desperate for the win and went for older heads, except the fact Mata and Matic are way past it and we could have drawn the game, OGS has to start playing the likes of Gomes and the rest because we risk losing him to another team
Just offer Gomes £300k per week so as not to lose him to another team.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

wanaj0 wrote:
marko wrote:We have seen a 16 year old player for Barcelona shining, at united, he will be kept in the youth team, our coach maintains Mason Greenwood is united deadly finisher, well he should be on the pitch and stop playing to the gallery, yesterday was a prime example, he was desperate for the win and went for older heads, except the fact Mata and Matic are way past it and we could have drawn the game, OGS has to start playing the likes of Gomes and the rest because we risk losing him to another team
We dont have to offer them that money, we have to play them, OGS is getting desperate, reason why Mata and Matic played yesterday, they were terrible and offered nothing, i rather play draws with kids, look at Chelsea yesterday, youths doing the business, they can only get better with confidence, meanwhile OGS keeps reminding us not to put pressure on the kids, i watched Fati play yesterday, 16 for crying out loud, we won via a penalty and that is an issue, we are not creating chances, i want OGS to succeed but he can only do that by doing things different, right now, as it is, The likes of Mata and Matic should be coming in the last 10-15 mins to shore things up, they should not be starting

And Ndidi, that is exactly what we need right now, just give Leicester 50 million! He is far better than Mctomminay!
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

marko wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:
We dont have to offer them that money, we have to play them, OGS is getting desperate, reason why Mata and Matic played yesterday, they were terrible and offered nothing, i rather play draws with kids, look at Chelsea yesterday, youths doing the business, they can only get better with confidence, meanwhile OGS keeps reminding us not to put pressure on the kids, i watched Fati play yesterday, 16 for crying out loud, we won via a penalty and that is an issue, we are not creating chances, i want OGS to succeed but he can only do that by doing things different, right now, as it is, The likes of Mata and Matic should be coming in the last 10-15 mins to shore things up, they should not be starting

And Ndidi, that is exactly what we need right now, just give Leicester 50 million! He is far better than Mctomminay!
Marko marko, you love to make these blind comparisons all the time. To start with comparing the Barca kid who is playing in a stable team ably supported by mature players, with a United team in disarray under a clueless manager, such a comparison is a mismatch.

Secondly you want to compare the youth at Chelsea with the ones at United. The likes of Tammy, Fikayo, Mount are seasoned league players who have had experience on loans. This is not Tammy's first season at the EPL, he spent two years with Swansea never mind the championship where he flourished. Mount had a good season at Derby.

Now I hear everyone singing about these ajebotas at the money miss road clubs. What exactly has this Greenwood done to warrant the hype around him, don't get me started about the likes of Gomez or the Chong or whatever.

A team like United suddenly find itself looking like a kindergarten, and people still don't see the problem. Even Bournemouth looks better organised.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

they will soon give Greenwood 300k a week and crown him :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
oloye wrote:
marko wrote:
wanaj0 wrote:

Marko marko, you love to make these blind comparisons all the time. To start with comparing the Barca kid who is playing in a stable team ably supported by mature players, with a United team in disarray under a clueless manager, such a comparison is a mismatch.

Secondly you want to compare the youth at Chelsea with the ones at United. The likes of Tammy, Fikayo, Mount are seasoned league players who have had experience on loans. This is not Tammy's first season at the EPL, he spent two years with Swansea never mind the championship where he flourished. Mount had a good season at Derby.

Now I hear everyone singing about these ajebotas at the money miss road clubs. What exactly has this Greenwood done to warrant the hype around him, don't get me started about the likes of Gomez or the Chong or whatever.

A team like United suddenly find itself looking like a kindergarten, and people still don't see the problem. Even Bournemouth looks better organised.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

nobody is making blind comparisons, we saw them play at pre-season, based on what i saw, they can surely do no worse than Mata / Matic combo who offer nothing, if experience is the issue, then send them out on loan, its that simple, what has Greenwood done to justify the hype? well OGS said himself, in comparison to Rashford and Martial, he is a better finisher than both, so if we hear these statements, then we need to see him on the pitch, i dont want to hear things to please the gallery, Man united are building again, these kids are the future, Tuanzebe has been on loan as well, but he is been offered cameos for less than 15 minutes

let me repeat, i saw Chong, Gomes, Greenwood play at the pre-season, Greenwood scored a well taken goal, Gomes as well, Chong scared the lights out of the inter-milan defence at will, they are more than ready, same situation with Pogba, they were giving him cameos until he got fed up and refused to sign a new contract, the rest is history

Barcelona made a huge statement playing a 16 year whether he has older heads or not, they felt he was ready and i like that type of forward thinking mentality

Gomes is watching his England under-23 team mates play regular 1st team football and he cant get a game because of his size! football is played on the ground!

Sorry OGS is getting desperate and we can tell by his actions playing Mata / Matic, we got lucky Leicester were not good either or could have made us pay

I want him to succeed and but he needs to grow some balls!

Marko
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

marko wrote:nobody is making blind comparisons, we saw them play at pre-season, based on what i saw, they can surely do no worse than Mata / Matic combo who offer nothing, if experience is the issue, then send them out on loan, its that simple, what has Greenwood done to justify the hype? well OGS said himself, in comparison to Rashford and Martial, he is a better finisher than both, so if we hear these statements, then we need to see him on the pitch, i dont want to hear things to please the gallery, Man united are building again, these kids are the future, Tuanzebe has been on loan as well, but he is been offered cameos for less than 15 minutes

let me repeat, i saw Chong, Gomes, Greenwood play at the pre-season, Greenwood scored a well taken goal, Gomes as well, Chong scared the lights out of the inter-milan defence at will, they are more than ready, same situation with Pogba, they were giving him cameos until he got fed up and refused to sign a new contract, the rest is history

Barcelona made a huge statement playing a 16 year whether he has older heads or not, they felt he was ready and i like that type of forward thinking mentality

Gomes is watching his England under-23 team mates play regular 1st team football and he cant get a game because of his size! football is played on the ground!

Sorry OGS is getting desperate and we can tell by his actions playing Mata / Matic, we got lucky Leicester were not good either or could have made us pay

Pre seasons are nothing but glorified training games... Shuo you saw games where up 7 substitutions are being made. Games where the coaches already told them to take it easy as they are not yet fit enough. Ah so it was pre-season the hype was based on... That makes a lot of sense to many then.

As for Ole's comment, goes to show the sort of daft head managing your team, better finisher in training I guess. Because until he does it in a real game and on a consistent basis, it is like saying Freddy Adu is the next Messi. That is not enough to say that Messi cannot do anymore that Freddy can do, that is the talk of a mad man.

By the way you cannot compare them to the likes of Mata, you may deny you are not making these comparisons, but with this one you just made another.

Most of these boys won't even make Bournemouth team.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

oloye wrote:
marko wrote:nobody is making blind comparisons, we saw them play at pre-season, based on what i saw, they can surely do no worse than Mata / Matic combo who offer nothing, if experience is the issue, then send them out on loan, its that simple, what has Greenwood done to justify the hype? well OGS said himself, in comparison to Rashford and Martial, he is a better finisher than both, so if we hear these statements, then we need to see him on the pitch, i dont want to hear things to please the gallery, Man united are building again, these kids are the future, Tuanzebe has been on loan as well, but he is been offered cameos for less than 15 minutes

Pre seasons are nothing but glorified training games... Shuo you saw games where up 7 substitutions are being made. Games where the coaches already told them to take it easy as they are not yet fit enough. Ah so it was pre-season the hype was based on... That makes a lot of sense to many then.

As for Ole's comment, goes to show the sort of daft head managing your team, better finisher in training I guess. Because until he does it in a real game and on a consistent basis, it is like saying Freddy Adu is the next Messi. That is not enough to say that Messi cannot do anymore that Freddy can do, that is the talk of a mad man.

By the way you cannot compare them to the likes of Mata, you may deny you are not making these comparisons, but with this one you just made another.

well guess the only way is to give them a chance to see if they can replicate their training camp finishing? if he does not play them, then how can we assess their qualities? how can he do the same in real time? me personally i dont want to see him playing to the gallery, always telling us what he thinks are media friendly, if they are not ready or good enough, they should be loaned out for their own development, its that simple

Like i said, the likes of Mata/ Matic are currently not offering united anything worthy of mention, why cant Fred get a game? sorry right now OGS is not being consistent and that is what i worry about

Marko
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

marko wrote:
oloye wrote:

well guess the only way is to give them a chance to see if they can replicate their training camp finishing? if he does not play them, then how can we assess their qualities? how can he do the same in real time? me personally i dont want to see him playing to the gallery, always telling us what he thinks are media friendly, if they are not ready or good enough, they should be loaned out for their own development, its that simple

Like i said, the likes of Mata/ Matic are currently not offering united anything worthy of mention, why cant Fred get a game? sorry right now OGS is not being consistent and that is what i worry about

This is the real issue. There is something wrong, terribly wrong.

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

oloye wrote:
marko wrote:
oloye wrote:

Ok, if you were the coach, looking at our squad, what changes will you make? what will be your preferred starting 11?

Marko
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

marko wrote:
oloye wrote:
marko wrote:
oloye wrote:

Ok, if you were the coach, looking at our squad, what changes will you make? what will be your preferred starting 11?
I do not suffer from the vanity of saying i know better than the man who is paid to train and he works with the team every day. I am not that vain. But there are things that he is saying and doing that can be questioned, not neccessarilly because i am better but more from the position of someone who has been in the dressing room and can smell bullshit from afar.

What Ole is trying to do is at United is what Lampard is getting done at Chelsea. But here in lies the difference Chelsea is not United. Also the boys that Lampard is now bringing forward have all been seasoned in the league. When a coach says Greenwood is a better finisher, he is either carrying out what took plae on the training pitch into the public domain or spewing garbage. Because the question is where was this verified? And the second question if he is a better finisher why is he not being played especially now that the team is struggling to get goals. I saw the boy come in a couple of game this season and to be honest he was anonymous.He may be talented , but that talent must be verified somewhere.

The problem of United is bigger than Ole, the management / board also have a share in the mess. I don't know how they mis managed the Lukaku and Sanchez situation(the case of Sanchez was mis managed from the beginning). But letting Lukaku go , was a big mistake, let him go to pitch your hopes on Rashford and a hardly fit and lazy Martial is the kind of bumbling that gets coaches fired.

My years of following this game at this level has revealed something, especially in some players. Any player that cannot cope with Jose's demands is mentally weak. Jose has a knack for exposing players that are weak mentally or whose attitude to the game sucks. This simple observation does not make me better than Ole, but to put his hopes on Martial and Rashford is looking for trouble and i will break it down.

Yes Martial can score goals, but i do not trust players who are hardly fit be it physically or mentally, Martial is weak physically and mentally. As for Rashford, he is a small boy being pushed too far too soon. He has talents but not as huge as being touted. I cannot even compare his ability to Rooney at this level of his development, though it can be said that the likes of Rooney benefitted from having bigger players around to help him develop. Playing alongside Berbatov, Ronaldo, Gigs, Scholes, Nani , will give you the confidence to blossom and grow quietly. Byt the time Rooney was being touted as the saviour of united he had come of age.

You let your most intimidating and accomplished goal scorer for what again? That is a weak coach. There is a reason Jose fought tooth and nail to keep Fellaini, that is what a coach must do when a player that means a lot to his team is being placed on the shopping window.

Ole is a coach with a small boy mindset, either this is the case or a certain agenda and programe is being foisted upon him to execute and he is simply nodding yes and yes sir. Look at that team again, you are chasing a game and you look at the bench a certain Chong(who did nothing) or Gomes or even this so called Greenwood comes in, to do what exactly. We are talking about united , your opposition is expecting big guns from the bench and all they see are soo rookies, who have not even cut it at the championship.

The Wolves, the Crystal Palace, the Southamptons that united huffed and puffed against were being decimated and savaged by teams who are supposed to be lesser than United.

Let us look at the team game play, they move the ball around at the back very well the acquisition of Maguire and Liedolof will ensure that. WAn Bissaka is comfortable with the ball. It is in the third quarter that the bteams shows a certain lack of ideas.You see players on the wings who just wanna grab the ball and run at the defender(a term used glowingly by the english pundits), but i see not tactical input in this just raw aggression. If it works great, but 80% of the time it does not work, it only ends up with in the pile of statistics, it does not even produce shots at goal, because a well drilled team can easily snuff out those silly demented charging at the defender.

Sadly this is how United have set up to play this season, and they are relying on these kids to do that all seaosn long. They call it the United way!

amafolas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by amafolas »

oloye wrote:
marko wrote:
oloye wrote:
marko wrote:
oloye wrote:

I do not suffer from the vanity of saying i know better than the man who is paid to train and he works with the team every day. I am not that vain. But there are things that he is saying and doing that can be questioned, not neccessarilly because i am better but more from the position of someone who has been in the dressing room and can smell bullshit from afar.

What Ole is trying to do is at United is what Lampard is getting done at Chelsea. But here in lies the difference Chelsea is not United. Also the boys that Lampard is now bringing forward have all been seasoned in the league. When a coach says Greenwood is a better finisher, he is either carrying out what took plae on the training pitch into the public domain or spewing garbage. Because the question is where was this verified? And the second question if he is a better finisher why is he not being played especially now that the team is struggling to get goals. I saw the boy come in a couple of game this season and to be honest he was anonymous.He may be talented , but that talent must be verified somewhere.

The problem of United is bigger than Ole, the management / board also have a share in the mess. I don't know how they mis managed the Lukaku and Sanchez situation(the case of Sanchez was mis managed from the beginning). But letting Lukaku go , was a big mistake, let him go to pitch your hopes on Rashford and a hardly fit and lazy Martial is the kind of bumbling that gets coaches fired.

My years of following this game at this level has revealed something, especially in some players. Any player that cannot cope with Jose's demands is mentally weak. Jose has a knack for exposing players that are weak mentally or whose attitude to the game sucks. This simple observation does not make me better than Ole, but to put his hopes on Martial and Rashford is looking for trouble and i will break it down.

Yes Martial can score goals, but i do not trust players who are hardly fit be it physically or mentally, Martial is weak physically and mentally. As for Rashford, he is a small boy being pushed too far too soon. He has talents but not as huge as being touted. I cannot even compare his ability to Rooney at this level of his development, though it can be said that the likes of Rooney benefitted from having bigger players around to help him develop. Playing alongside Berbatov, Ronaldo, Gigs, Scholes, Nani , will give you the confidence to blossom and grow quietly. Byt the time Rooney was being touted as the saviour of united he had come of age.

You let your most intimidating and accomplished goal scorer for what again? That is a weak coach. There is a reason Jose fought tooth and nail to keep Fellaini, that is what a coach must do when a player that means a lot to his team is being placed on the shopping window.

Ole is a coach with a small boy mindset, either this is the case or a certain agenda and programe is being foisted upon him to execute and he is simply nodding yes and yes sir. Look at that team again, you are chasing a game and you look at the bench a certain Chong(who did nothing) or Gomes or even this so called Greenwood comes in, to do what exactly. We are talking about united , your opposition is expecting big guns from the bench and all they see are soo rookies, who have not even cut it at the championship.

The Wolves, the Crystal Palace, the Southamptons that united huffed and puffed against were being decimated and savaged by teams who are supposed to be lesser than United.

Let us look at the team game play, they move the ball around at the back very well the acquisition of Maguire and Liedolof will ensure that. WAn Bissaka is comfortable with the ball. It is in the third quarter that the bteams shows a certain lack of ideas.You see players on the wings who just wanna grab the ball and run at the defender(a term used glowingly by the english pundits), but i see not tactical input in this just raw aggression. If it works great, but 80% of the time it does not work, it only ends up with in the pile of statistics, it does not even produce shots at goal, because a well drilled team can easily snuff out those silly demented charging at the defender.

Sadly this is how United have set up to play this season, and they are relying on these kids to do that all seaosn long. They call it the United way!
Egbon, enough there. Your attention is now needed at the Emirates, come and diagnose our problems for us joh.
"We will go through the gate. If the gate is closed, we will go over the fence. If the fence is too high, we will pole vault in. If that doesn’t work, we will parachute in. But we are going to get health-care reform passed"
Nancy Pelosi, 01/28/2010 after Scott Brown got elected to Ted Kennedy's senate seat.
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

oloye wrote:
marko wrote:
oloye wrote:
marko wrote:
oloye wrote:

Fair enough you raise some valid points about the entire united set up which is flawed in many ways, I do believe OGS is simply a yes man employed to just smile and say all the right things to do media, I watch the united stand on Youtube and many points you make are exactly what the pundits in there have been saying, I wish we lost all our pre-season games in a way, the board would have forced to force through some transfers that were expected

right now i have huge doubts about the sincerity of the board! as far as we are making huge amounts of profits, its business as usual, if the sponsors start threatening to pull out of deals, perhaps this might make them step up, right now Pogba must be thinking what the heck he is doing in that team, for marketing reasons, they simply could not allow him to leave!

Just dont know what to think about the team anymore, but i will rather start playing these young guys, let see what they can do, if they are not up to scratch, then they should be loaned out, if OGS is confident about their abilities, play them, its that simple, soon he will get accused of recycling garbage talk for PR purposes!

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

1) "letting Lukaku go was a big mistake" - :clap:

2) When Rooney first arrived at Man Utd Roy Keane was the captain, and he walked into a dressing room with Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Rio Ferdinand, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Darren Fletcher, and the Neville brothers already there. His only age mate in the team was some young whippet called Cristiano Ronaldo.

This was the Man Utd line-up in the game that Rashford made his debut in: Romero; Varela, Carrick, Blind, Riley; Schneiderlin, Ander Herrera; Lingard, Mata, Memphis; Martial.

The "back 4" was Guillermo Varela, Carrick, Blind, and Joe Riley.
oloye wrote:

As for Rashford, he is a small boy being pushed too far too soon. He has talents but not as huge as being touted. I cannot even compare his ability to Rooney at this level of his development, though it can be said that the likes of Rooney benefitted from having bigger players around to help him develop. Playing alongside Berbatov, Ronaldo, Gigs, Scholes, Nani , will give you the confidence to blossom and grow quietly. Byt the time Rooney was being touted as the saviour of united he had come of age.

You let your most intimidating and accomplished goal scorer for what again?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

wiseone wrote:1) "letting Lukaku go was a big mistake" - :clap:

2) When Rooney first arrived at Man Utd Roy Keane was the captain, and he walked into a dressing room with Ryan Giggs, Paul Scholes, Rio Ferdinand, Ruud Van Nistelrooy, Darren Fletcher, and the Neville brothers already there. His only age mate in the team was some young whippet called Cristiano Ronaldo.

This was the Man Utd line-up in the game that Rashford made his debut in: Romero; Varela, Carrick, Blind, Riley; Schneiderlin, Ander Herrera; Lingard, Mata, Memphis; Martial.

The "back 4" was Guillermo Varela, Carrick, Blind, and Joe Riley.
oloye wrote:

As for Rashford, he is a small boy being pushed too far too soon. He has talents but not as huge as being touted. I cannot even compare his ability to Rooney at this level of his development, though it can be said that the likes of Rooney benefitted from having bigger players around to help him develop. Playing alongside Berbatov, Ronaldo, Gigs, Scholes, Nani , will give you the confidence to blossom and grow quietly. Byt the time Rooney was being touted as the saviour of united he had come of age.

They were busy singing the United way, class 92 and hyping the kinders in the team while disrespecting the biggest player on their hand just because he is not English.

If I have the time I will write on the scam being perpetrated by these ex united players who have managed to turn this so called class 92 and united slogan into a product which they peddle and hawk in their positions as TV pundits. It is selling like hot cake amongst the millions of United fans who subscribe to the nonsense. They uelse it to intimidate all the coaches and like a mafia would not allow anyone else to crash into the party. Ole has gotten by because he is one of them if he was not an old boy they would have descended him.

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

Well Oloye, a man of your ability to read the game, how comes you not in management? I believe your understanding of the game can be used by Nigeria or at least in club football, has this ever crossed your mind to manage perhaps one day?

That been said, united is sadly going the way of AC milan, i have not heard much from Woodward, seems to be anonymous and quiet these days

United knew they wanted to get rid of Lukaku right from pre-season, they had just enough time for replacement but they rather the money goes to the Glazer pocket, of course they promoted Greenwood, his records at the youth level speaks for itself, whether this can be translated into senior level, the jury is still out, at least he was promoted to the 1st team so we expected him to play since Martial is injured

It was desperation last week that made Ole start with Mata/Matic, he wanted to avoid defeat by all means so went for older heads

Why is Martial always injured? The season has barely started and the injury list just keeps rising by the day, This season will be very interesting, DeGea just signed a new deal 250K after tax, maybe he now realises there are quite a few top keepers in Europe

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Funny, Roy Keane said similar things about the Class of 92.

I remember Jose once said that Man Utd "bought players I would never buy and sold players I would never have sold" (he mentioned Di Maria, Welbeck, and Chicharito as players he would not have sold).

The Lukaku sale was madness a a time they did not have a replacement lined up. We can add Zaha, Blind, and Hererra to the list of players they should never have sold, and Schweinsteiger, Matic, Lindelof, and Rojo to those they should not have signed.
oloye wrote:

They were busy singing the United way, class 92 and hyping the kinders in the team while disrespecting the biggest player on their hand just because he is not English.

If I have the time I will write on the scam being perpetrated by these ex united players who have managed to turn this so called class 92 and united slogan into a product which they peddle and hawk in their positions as TV pundits. It is selling like hot cake amongst the millions of United fans who subscribe to the nonsense. They uelse it to intimidate all the coaches and like a mafia would not allow anyone else to crash into the party. Ole has gotten by because he is one of them if he was not an old boy they would have descended him.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

marko wrote:Well Oloye, a man of your ability to read the game, how comes you not in management? I believe your understanding of the game can be used by Nigeria or at least in club football, has this ever crossed your mind to manage perhaps one day?

That been said, united is sadly going the way of AC milan, i have not heard much from Woodward, seems to be anonymous and quiet these days

United knew they wanted to get rid of Lukaku right from pre-season, they had just enough time for replacement but they rather the money goes to the Glazer pocket, of course they promoted Greenwood, his records at the youth level speaks for itself, whether this can be translated into senior level, the jury is still out, at least he was promoted to the 1st team so we expected him to play since Martial is injured

It was desperation last week that made Ole start with Mata/Matic, he wanted to avoid defeat by all means so went for older heads

Why is Martial always injured? The season has barely started and the injury list just keeps rising by the day, This season will be very interesting, DeGea just signed a new deal 250K after tax, maybe he now realises there are quite a few top keepers in Europe
Sometimes I ask myself the question too. But when I left football a couple of reasons made me walk away completely. I was furious the way my career ended and I just could not see beyond the disappointment at the time. I had an offer to go for coaching course but turned it down, I needed to fix my head and my life, so I walked away completely.

If I had plied my trade and grown in this environment, my only option would have been to go into management, it would be a simple decision.

This I say because what passed for football management in my time was madness, coaches being denied the tools needed to work but are expected to produce results. Players being treated like truants and nonentities, maybe if I had not gone to Uni, I would have been able to accept the nonsense, but I could not hang around the mess.

I had enough struggle on my hand the last thing I needed was the additional frustration. I like life simple and I enjoy the simple things of life.

That said United are in making the same mistake Arsenal made which they are now struggling to correct. They are trying to keep the money spinning brand going but are not allowing technical decisions have the upper hand. They have found a brand that sells Class 92,United way of family etc. It sells especially when a little bit of English patriotism flavor is added.

They will get by commercially for a while, unless the team drops and is relegated, something of a disaster if it ever happens. But for now too much money is coming in for the board to pull out their nose from the mess that stinks all over the place.

All they had to do is look at the clubs at their level, take a look over their neighbours yard and humble themselves to see that they have dropped the baton.

marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

oloye wrote:
marko wrote:Well Oloye, a man of your ability to read the game, how comes you not in management? I believe your understanding of the game can be used by Nigeria or at least in club football, has this ever crossed your mind to manage perhaps one day?

Sometimes I ask myself the question too. But when I left football a couple of reasons made me walk away completely. I was furious the way my career ended and I just could not see beyond the disappointment at the time. I had an offer to go for coaching course but turned it down, I needed to fix my head and my life, so I walked away completely.

If I had plied my trade and grown in this environment, my only option would have been to go into management, it would be a simple decision.

This I say because what passed for football management in my time was madness, coaches being denied the tools needed to work but are expected to produce results. Players being treated like truants and nonentities, maybe if I had not gone to Uni, I would have been able to accept the nonsense, but I could not hang around the mess.

I had enough struggle on my hand the last thing I needed was the additional frustration. I like life simple and I enjoy the simple things of life.

That said United are in making the same mistake Arsenal made which they are now struggling to correct. They are trying to keep the money spinning brand going but are not allowing technical decisions have the upper hand. They have found a brand that sells Class 92,United way of family etc. It sells especially when a little bit of English patriotism flavor is added.

They will get by commercially for a while, unless the team drops and is relegated, something of a disaster if it ever happens. But for now too much money is coming in for the board to pull out their nose from the mess that stinks all over the place.

All they had to do is look at the clubs at their level, take a look over their neighbours yard and humble themselves to see that they have dropped the baton.
Well if you want a simple life, football management is definitely not an option, I am trying to think when united started going down hill, Alex Ferguson definitely played his part over a bottle of whiskey and fell for tribal politics and allowed a nonentity in David Moyes to take over, if he was indeed a good coach, why has he been frozen out of the game?

During his last season, he squeezed the juice out of an ageing squad and managed to win the title, that was the time for the board to ensure continuity like you see in the top European sides, they are thinking like an average side now

That united continues to rake in billions is hiding a lot of issues, we have been through 3 coaches now, we still dont have a credible director of football to tell them some home truths, so Woodward is playing that role woefully

As for OGS, well most likely he will get sacked, they have thrown him to the wolves and he is just as confused as ever, his team selection speaks volumes, i dont think he even has control over the squad, especially the senior players, the Paul Pogba situation, i believe he was asked to stay for at least one more year, they cannot keep him and he will not sign a new contract, now i hear they are going for British players, latest is Maddison from Leicester, yes a decent player but i prefer Ndidi

This season will certainly be interesting

Marko
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

De Gea has signed a contract extension until 2023: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49719629

Very surprised at that. A few years ago he could have gone to any club in the world and won a shed-load of league titles and Champions League trophies.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

wiseone wrote:De Gea has signed a contract extension until 2023: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49719629

Very surprised at that. A few years ago he could have gone to any club in the world and won a shed-load of league titles and Champions League trophies.
Another player awarded a hastily and desperate contract. Time will tell.

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Oddly enough, as disjointed and weakened as Man Utd's squad is, there is a case for arguing that Man Utd have the deepest GK talent pool in world football. Romero might be the best reserve GK in the world not called Buffon. Then in the youth team they have 2 future internationals in Joel Pereira and Dean Henderson. Mourinho said Pereira would one day become one of the best GKs in Europe. Henderson kept more clean sheets than any other GK in the Championship last season (on loan at Sheff Utd) and was part of the England team that won the U20 World Cup in 2017. He is on loan at Sheffield Utd again this season and their fans are praying that Utd are stupid enough to turn his loan into a transfer. Henderson is one of the most promising English GKs and will be an England international one day.

Right now, the GK position is the only one where Man Utd are stacked. They actually did not HAVE to renew DDG's contract.
oloye wrote:
wiseone wrote:De Gea has signed a contract extension until 2023: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49719629

Another player awarded a hastily and desperate contract. Time will tell.