Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Manchester United - news & developments 2014/2015 seaso

Post by benteke »

akamoke wrote:Those fixtures na helele....we have to start winning NOW

I thought LVG was a motivator...surely he has access to these information in his notepad
yep,

for me this is no longer about LVG alone, time for everyone to pull their weight, so far only De Gea has consistently performed to levels we expect of Man Utd, as was the case last season under Moyes, time for everyone else to consistently prove their price tags and salaries and justify their selection, nomatter what the circumstances, no more excuses, when i look around and above us, others are doing the job under prevailing circumstances be it injury, formations or whatever.
The last thing i want is another manager crisis for whatever reason
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

wiseone wrote:The records of LVG and Moyes after 21 games visually (very, very, similar):

Moyes: P21 W11 D4 L6 Points:37 Goals: 35 Conceded: 24
LVG: P21 W10 D7 L4 Points:37 Goals: 34 Conceded: 21

nice stats.

style of play and motivation cannot be put in the table.
LVG has new players in the Prem.

DM's team were the league winners. The players should have done way better. They just gave up. One day the truth will come out

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

tfco wrote:
wiseone wrote:The records of LVG and Moyes after 21 games visually (very, very, similar):

Moyes: P21 W11 D4 L6 Points:37 Goals: 35 Conceded: 24
LVG: P21 W10 D7 L4 Points:37 Goals: 34 Conceded: 21

nice stats.

style of play and motivation cannot be put in the table.
LVG has new players in the Prem.

DM's team were the league winners. The players should have done way better. They just gave up. One day the truth will come out
i wont forget the pains Moyes caused us last season, at this time last season morale was so low the club getting ready to sign Mata for £37 million, an unnecessary panick signing given Kagawa was there.
Stats wont tell the full story of our pains under Moyes
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

akamoke wrote:Those fixtures na helele....we have to start winning NOW

I thought LVG was a motivator...surely he has access to these information in his notepad
not sure how LVG does his motivations, but i remember this trick Fergie used to do every single season at around this time and it worked a lots, the team would play with a sense of purpose under all circumstances, with an eye on the target

------------------------------------------------------

Ferguson sets points target
23/01/10 2:09pm

Sir Alex Ferguson believes just 82 points could be enough to secure the Premier League title this season.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... nts-target

Ferguson sets 84-point title target
Feb 5, 2011

While Chelsea have been busy spending big in the transfer market, Sir Alex Ferguson has been plotting how Manchester United can win the 84 points he believes will take the title away from Stamford Bridge.

http://www.espnfc.com/story/876004/sir- ... tle-target

Sir Alex Ferguson sets points target for Manchester United
Jan 13, 2012 14:09

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson believes a points total in the high 80s could be needed in order to retain the Premier League title.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... nts-679704
Last edited by benteke on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

so who are we after, theres rumours of Dyabala, Marquinos, Varane, Hummels

Varane would do for me, top player :thumb:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Manchester United fans were chanting "4-4-2" at half time :biggrin:
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

I hear we have our sights on Alex Song, but Liverpool is ready to outbid for him.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Six things that struck me in the QPR v Man Utd game:

1) When they played 3-4-1-2, Man Utd's play was pedestrian, predictable, and lacking in penetration. After 57 minutes Jonny Evans got injured again and was unable to continue the game (for the 55th time in his Man Utd career). This forced LVG to switch to 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield. 1 minute later Man Utd scored. For the rest of the game they looked utterly unrecognisable from the team that laboured so badly for nearly an hour. Fellaini looked dangerous in a more advanced position when Carrick and Rooney flighted crossfield balls for him to control on his chest and head (i.e. played to Fellaini's strengths). At one point he did an outrageous bit of skill with a quick two-footed flick and turn past Clint Hill that made me think CR7 temporarily possessed Fellaini's body. :shock:

2) LVG must abandon this 3-4-1-2 monstrosity. Rooney, Di Maria and the entire team looked far more dangerous with a 4-4-2 and most importantly - the team played with a high tempo in a 4-4-2. Playing at high tempo is in Man Utd's DNA.

3) Very pleased by the performance of young James Wilson. Last week a fan said that "it seems that James Wilson's sole purpose in life is to demonstrate the massive gulf in class between youth team football and premier league football" (ie. said that Wilson will never be good enough to become a regular premier league player). He may be wrong. The young man has something that none of Man Utd's other strikers has: pace. He added speed and penetration to Man Utd's attacking. The kid could be a good prospect.

4) Daley Blind is a legit Man Utd player. He gets it. I will repeat: Danny Blind's kid has a sweet left foot. His passing is so crisp and incisive at times that I wonder if his left instep gets bruised from overuse during each match! He is a better player at LB than in midfield.

5) What is Phil Jones doing taking corners? :shock: Phil has trouble playing 10 yard square passes, let alone flighting in crosses with stealth from the corner of the pitch onto the head of a team-mate. Please get him away from corners.

6) Juan Mata slows down Man Utd's play, and gives the ball away far too often in away games. Mourinho 419d Man Utd by convincing them to pay 37 million to take him off Chelsea's hands.
Last edited by wiseone on Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:
4) Daley Blind is a legit Man Utd player. He gets it. I will repeat: Danny Blind's kid has a sweet left foot. His passing is so crisp and incisive at times that I wonder if his left instep gets bruised from overuse during each match! He is a better player at LB than in midfield.

very very smart player, our best performing new signing so far, he is performing to the standards we expect at Manchester United
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

benteke wrote: very very smart player, our best performing new signing so far, he is performing to the standards we expect at Manchester United
It usually takes players a few years to settle at OT and get used to the intensity of Man Utd matches. However Blind has hit the ground running. He was been the best of the new signings. He just quietly gets on with the job without fuss. If he continues like this, Luke Shaw will be sitting on the bench for a while.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote: 1) When they played 3-4-1-2, Man Utd's play was pedestrian, predictable, and lacking in penetration. After 57 minutes Jonny Evans got injured again and was unable to continue the game (for the 55th time in his Man Utd career). This forced LVG to switch to 4-4-2 with a diamond midfield. 1 minute later Man Utd scored. For the rest of the game they looked utterly unrecognisable from the team that laboured so badly for nearly an hour. Fellaini looked dangerous in a more advanced position when Carrick and Rooney flighted crossfield balls for him to control on his chest and head (i.e. played to Fellaini's strengths). At one point he did an outrageous bit of skill with a quick two-footed flick and turn past Clint Hill that made me think CR7 temporarily possessed Fellaini's body. :shock:
for me , Evans going off is what made me to smile immediately
I still beilieve this one dude is the one who brings a lot of uncertainty to our general play, off he went and soon we were looking better, hope he stays in the physio room till season end :laugh:

am very happy for Felliani, lots of bad things were said about he him, he was unfairly singled out for our failures last season
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

It speaks volume of the inherent intellectual challenges blighting the greatest show on earth (the EPL), that Man United cannot muster anything close to resembling a stag do kick-about with Mike Bassett at the fore, clad in a 3-5-2. Over the garden fence, how gorgeously green those very same grasses grew when Valencia, with lesser beings, lined up the same shape vs the mighty Madrid. How was that a back three then was capable of repelling the CRons and croutons, all the while posing a marvelous threat in attack. United laboured vs Joey Barton and Karl Henry as a result of such alignment. It can only be brain.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Coach wrote:It speaks volume of the inherent intellectual challenges blighting the greatest show on earth (the EPL), that Man United cannot muster anything close to resembling a stag do kick-about with Mike Bassett at the fore, clad in a 3-5-2. Over the garden fence, how gorgeously green those very same grasses grew when Valencia, with lesser beings, lined up the same shape vs the mighty Madrid. How was that a back three then was capable of repelling the CRons and croutons, all the while posing a marvelous threat in attack. United laboured vs Joey Barton and Karl Henry as a result of such alignment. It can only be brain.
its the personell, that back 3 has panicky doofers called Evans and Jones, they are unfit for that purpose of 352, Koeman also touched on how difficult Man Utd is finding it to build from the back, and he targeted that weakness
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

If David Moyes played 3-4-1-2, Rooney in central midfield, Ashley Young, Januzaj, and Valencia as wing backs, and Di Maria as a striker, a lynch mob would come round to his house.

Still, I will be able to tell my grandkids that I was around the day that Phil Jones took a corner in a professional football match (along with where I was when the Berlin Wall fell, 9/11 occurred, and MJ died).

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:If David Moyes played 3-4-1-2, Rooney in central midfield, Ashley Young, Januzaj, and Valencia as wing backs, and Di Maria as a striker, a lynch mob would come round to his house.

Still, I will be able to tell my grandkids that I was around the day that Phil Jones took a corner in a professional football match (along with where I was when the Berlin Wall fell, 9/11 occurred, and MJ died).

i think its coz Jones was the best available right footer , its usually Rooney or Young taking the right foot corners, so i think LVG wanted Rooney in the box
our team is now full of lefties u see :biggrin:
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Benteke, granted Otamendi et al present a more solid state than the Mancunian candidates, however, that alone cannot be considered fair excuse.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

those fans who started chanting 4-4-2 might just have inadvertently tickled Van Gaal to stick to 3-5-2, he has signalled that he wont be succumbing to the whims of fans, he will now be more determined to make it work :biggrin:
But Van Gaal is adamant that he cannot pay attention to the whims of supporters, telling reporters: "I cannot observe the fans because how many fans do Manchester United have? You cannot take into account 600 million opinions.

"To look at the players, to communicate with the players, to observe and to analyse: that’s my job."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/pre ... ns-ask-for
I hope he does not become stubborn with that formation, especially at this crucial time
here is part of an interesting article on why he was fired at Bayern

...... Van Gaal came to Munich with an open mind. He played a 4-4-2 diamond to begin with, and even tried a 3-3-3-1 before settling on 4-2-3-1 halfway through his first season. The formation brought the best out of many players and gave Bayern's play a sense of identity, something that hadn't been seen in Munich for quite a while. The season after, the formation became a dogma. He never diverted from it. Not when the opposition had worked out a way to deal with, not when specific games warranted it, nor when key players were injured. Instead, players were shuffled around inside the system and often ended up in very unfamiliar positions. A general loss of confidence and stability were the consequences. The kind of possession-based soccer that Van Gaal had drilled into the side couldn't work under these circumstances. "Our buildup play was too risky," captain Philipp Lahm ventured this week. One or two attempts by senior players to talk to the manager were brusquely dismissed not long ago........

Read full article here: http://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/04/14/vangaal-bayern
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Coach wrote:@Benteke, granted Otamendi et al present a more solid state than the Mancunian candidates, however, that alone cannot be considered fair excuse.

interestingly Guillem Balague just tweeted this:

Guillem Balague‏@GuillemBalague: A couple of transfer stories: MUFC made a €35m offer for Otamendi that has been rejected. More on @revistadelaliga 6pm today
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I share your concerns about Evans, but I do not wish him injury or ill will. In fact, I hope he goes on to have a good career and earn a good living at another employer like Sunderland, Stoke, Bolton, or Burnley.* All I wish for him is to play for a professional football team not called Manchester United (unless it is Manchester United Reserves).

Speaking of Burnley, I am concerned about the sale of young Michael Keane to Burnley. Keane was a highly rated prospect (he is a far better player than Blackett, McNair, and Evans). This has a bit of Ryan Shawcross/Gerard Pique about it (selling a young promising center back for peanuts, who then goes on to have a great career elsewhere). Given how fragile Man Utd defenders are, it would have been good to keep a good young defender who came through the youth team.
benteke wrote: for me , Evans going off is what made me to smile immediately
I still beilieve this one dude is the one who brings a lot of uncertainty to our general play, off he went and soon we were looking better, hope he stays in the physio room till season end :laugh:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:I share your concerns about Evans, but I do not wish him injury or ill will. In fact, I hope he goes on to have a good career and earn a good living at another employer like Sunderland, Stoke, Bolton, or Burnley.* All I wish for him is to play for a professional football team not called Manchester United (unless it is Manchester United Reserves).

Speaking of Burnley, I am concerned about the sale of young Michael Keane to Burnley. Keane was a highly rated prospect (he is a far better player than Blackett, McNair, and Evans). This has a bit of Ryan Shawcross/Gerard Pique about it (selling a young promising center back for peanuts, who then goes on to have a great career elsewhere). Given how fragile Man Utd defenders are, it would have been good to keep a good young defender who came through the youth team.
benteke wrote: for me , Evans going off is what made me to smile immediately

:laugh: i only wish him away from the team really, i hope these Otamendi rumours are true, how good is he, ah fck it anything is better than evans and jones right now
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

:rotf:

Otamendi is a legit player. However I always worry about how foreign defenders (used to playing against lilliputian attackers like Messi, Pedro etc) will adjust to playing against big bruising center forwards in the EPL like Zamora, Drogba, Costa etc and the sheer number of aerial balls and flying elbows they have to contend with. I recall a foreign player once describing his shock at encountering the "violence" of the EPL on his debut.

In this regard, keeping Michael Keane and buying back Ryan Shawcross (ie. players who already know the EPL) is far less risky than paying 35 million for a foreign defender that may (not) perform and adapt.
benteke wrote: :laugh: i only wish him away from the team really, i hope these Otamendi rumours are true, how good is he, ah fck it anything is better than evans and jones right now
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Comparison of Man Utd playing 3 at the back versus 4 at the back...

benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Comparison of Man Utd playing 3 at the back versus 4 at the back...

well well well :biggrin:

LVG must sort this out coz we just need to start playing well, Arsenal and Liverpool are starting to play in a way that worries me