Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle
Re: Manchester United - News, Developments & Season

Post by tfco »

March 10: Pool (2-0) United

April 10: Spurs (3-0) United

May 10: WHU (3-2) United
:(

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Looking at our fixtures/results, we've gone on a good league run before the WHU loss

Won 6, D1 in all comps.

This one just hurts too much.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

wiseone wrote:Forget that. It is over. Man Utd do not deserve to be in the CL. On this form, with this squad, and with this manager, they would be an embarrassment in the CL.

They did not mess things up today. What has cost them is their inability to hold a lead and see out a game from winning positions. They were 2-0 up against Newcastle and ended up drawing after an injury time goal. They were winning against Chelsea and conceded an injury time equaliser after that brainless "pass" by Depay. They conceded a goal in the dying minutes against Southampton. The dropped points from those games (which would have them in 3rd place above Arsenal if they could have just concentrated for another few seconds) is what cost them.
tfco wrote:relying on Swansea

last game of the season
Like most guys here I hardly miss United's games and it's appalling that a so-called top manager couldn't fix recurring issues. What are they paying him for? That guy is definitely below United standard. It took me a while to reach this conclusion but sorry Mr Gaal has nothing to offer. All these talk about giving youth a chance is bullshit. Injuries forced those decisions on him. This guy destroyed and sold several young United players and most of their replacements are not better. Also, there is no way on earth a mercurial attacking midfielder (playmaker) like Mata would have been as good or better than a Wil Zaha or Valencia or Nani on the right wing yet simply because it worked once against Liverpool the man thought Mata on the right is from the holy grail. Mata is one of the best central AMs in football because of his intelligence, vision and perfect ball control but a right winger? For real???? It won't work and he won't change it. Why?

The most mobile CD Chris Smalling was always getting drawn out to fix holes in front of the defence line leaving his much slower partner for most of the season Daley Blind (who was meant to be a stop gap CD) exposed most of the time and we have conceded a lot of goals as a result. David de Gea's performance covered up a lot of unpardonable lapses that this stubborn manager with over inflated ego failed to spot or fix.

I can go on and on about on-the-field issues that were never addressed by this highly paid super manager but what's up with this new found love for getting late to games? Is this Mr Philosophy's stubbornness at work again? First it was against Tottenham where a win would have made things really interesting. The team crashed in the 2nd half during a 5 mins period of madness and recklessness after youth player Fosu Mensah was forced out by injury. Then it happened again yesterday against West Ham? I hope the FA fine United heavily for this.

My biggest disappointment was the fact that this guy was actually on to something in his 1st season. The boys were very comfortable against big teams and were getting results away from Old Trafford. Instead of building on that, he decided to be Van Gaal and pressed the reset button. I have no doubt that with a more focused manager United would have lifted the EPL this season.

To make matters worse, he was caught muddling up facts about Man United - from the team's average age when he came on board (forgetting that he let go of some good well-scouted young players and up till today can't get the career of a top prospect like Januzaj back on track - I heard Fosu Mensah is already being punished for a mistake) to claims that showed he is not aware that some of his current players have actually won the EPL.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... oud-of-win

LVG said MUFC fans' "expectations are much too high".

Sigh. When you take a team that has finished 1st or 2nd for 20 consecutive years out of the champions league and to 7th, 4th, and 5th place; it is the fans' fault for expecting too much.

:roll:

He also got booed while giving his end of season speech last night: http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sp ... -reception

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... s-too-high
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

As for me, I no go lie....I wanted LVG to stay for next season.

Any variation of this lineup (+subs) would be a strong contender for the league

DDG

Valencia---smalling--blind--shaw

Mata--Rooney--Carrick

Lingard--Rashford--Martial

subs: TFM, Herrera, Schweini, Young, Depay

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Not when 50% of the "defence" are actually midfielders. Valencia is not a RB. Blind is not a CD. LVG played both of them out of position. Both players would be more effective for the team at RW and either LB or CM respectively.

For Man Utd to challenge for top 4 (I will not even discuss the title) next season, they need: a PROPER RB who can play 40 games a season without getting injured every time they fall over (Darmian *cough* Rojo * cough* Jones), a CD (see my comments on the RB), a dynamic central midfielder, a proper RW, and a CF.

The contenders are: Aurier, Varane, Gundogan, Cavani. Dream signings - albeit with very little chance they will move to Man Utd though. The two likely signings that Jose will bring in are Stones and Ibra.

Depay should be sent out on loan as he has reached Bebe levels of bad.
tfco wrote:As for me, I no go lie....I wanted LVG to stay for next season.

Any variation of this lineup (+subs) would be a strong contender for the league

DDG

Valencia---smalling--blind--shaw

Mata--Rooney--Carrick

Lingard--Rashford--Martial

subs: TFM, Herrera, Schweini, Young, Depay
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

wiseone wrote:Not when 50% of the "defence" are actually midfielders. Valencia is not a RB. Blind is not a CD. LVG played both of them out of position. Both players would be more effective for the team at RW and either LB or CM respectively.

For Man Utd to challenge for top 4 (I will not even discuss the title) next season, they need: a PROPER RB who can play 40 games a season without getting injured every time they fall over (Darmian *cough* Rojo * cough* Jones), a CD (see my comments on the RB), a dynamic central midfielder, a proper RW, and a CF.
:roll: :roll:

Tied for best defensive record in the league with those 'midfielders'

Injuries are not regulated; no player decides to get injured.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

I'd say Man Utd's best defensive player is De Gea, not Blind or Valencia. Valencia cannot really get any credit for the clean sheets given that he was injured for 90% of the season. Those "midfielders" disguised as defenders were responsible for Man Utd surrendering 2 aerial goals in the dying minutes against West Ham when winning and headed to a CL spot. Lesson learned - not having proper defenders cost Man Utd a CL place at a crucial time.
tfco wrote:

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

wiseone wrote:I'd say Man Utd's best defensive player is De Gea, not Blind or Valencia. Valencia cannot really get any credit for the clean sheets given that he was injured for 90% of the season. Those "midfielders" disguised as defenders were responsible for Man Utd surrendering 2 aerial goals in the dying minutes against West Ham when winning and headed to a CL spot. Lesson learned - not having proper defenders cost Man Utd a CL place at a crucial time.
tfco wrote:

I don't think tfco pays any attention while watching United's matches. The defensive stat is all De Gea. Even the best defender Smalling kept making the same mistakes every week and it was never corrected. Sorry Mr Gaal was not diligent enough. United is not a retirement home for any coach to come in and sit down with crossed legs during matches then pocket your fat paycheck on payday unless you are Sir Alex Ferguson. You have to earn it, with results.

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

You made a good point about SAF. His successors have made him look even more of a genius. We did not appreciate how truly great he was until his successors undid his work.

After 40+ years as a manager, no one would have begrudged SAF if he decided to 'coast' during his 60s-70s. Yet the man was still winning titles into his 70s and raging at his players on the touchline like a demented hungry 40 year old coach in his first job.
YemiBrazil wrote: I don't think tfco pays any attention while watching United's matches. The defensive stat is all De Gea. Even the best defender Smalling kept making the same mistakes every week and it was never corrected. Sorry Mr Gaal was not diligent enough. United is not a retirement home for any coach to come in and sit down with crossed legs during matches then pocket your fat paycheck on payday unless you are Sir Alex Ferguson. You have to earn it, with results.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

YemiBrazil wrote:
wiseone wrote:I'd say Man Utd's best defensive player is De Gea, not Blind or Valencia. Valencia cannot really get any credit for the clean sheets given that he was injured for 90% of the season. Those "midfielders" disguised as defenders were responsible for Man Utd surrendering 2 aerial goals in the dying minutes against West Ham when winning and headed to a CL spot. Lesson learned - not having proper defenders cost Man Utd a CL place at a crucial time.
tfco wrote:

I don't think tfco pays any attention while watching United's matches. The defensive stat is all De Gea. Even the best defender Smalling kept making the same mistakes every week and it was never corrected. Sorry Mr Gaal was not diligent enough. United is not a retirement home for any coach to come in and sit down with crossed legs during matches then pocket your fat paycheck on payday unless you are Sir Alex Ferguson. You have to earn it, with results.
The Link
Shots on Target - Against
1. Spurs - 121
2. United - 123
3. City - 125
Smalling/Blind are not my ideal defensive partnership, but they did get the job done last season.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Lineup for 2016/17 - without LVG
DDG

New Guy---Smalling---Stones---Shaw

Valencia--New Guy--Rooney

Rashford--Zlatan--Martial

Subs: Young, Herrera, Mata(hmm), Lingard, Depay, Blind

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:thumb: :thumb:

Silly season has started

The manager has not been unveiled yet, but the Guardian has chosen his 1st signing.

I approve of Zlatan.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic has told Manchester United he is keen to join them but wants €15m (£11.3m) per season to do so. José Mourinho is considering making a concrete offer for the out-of-contract 34-year-old but has not made a final decision yet.

Reports that Ibrahimovic, who is leaving Paris St-Germain this summer after four years and four league titles, have already agreed a contract, are not correct as both manager and player need more time to consider their options.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

tfco wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
tfco wrote:

The Link
Shots on Target - Against
1. Spurs - 121
2. United - 123
3. City - 125
Smalling/Blind are not my ideal defensive partnership, but they did get the job done last season.
Thanks for the link. I agree it wasn't as bad as painted. More reason why we should all do more research with some of the stuffs we read from trusted sources but I agree that when the boys are tidy they are 100% tidy and that explains the good stats. They can bore you to death with endless passing but they don't give the opponents enough breathing space hence those numerous 0-0 first half.

After his first season, I was 100% for LvG. The boys did very well against all the big teams but lost valuable points against the smaller teams however, he failed to build on that by deciding to start afresh again in the just concluded season. You can't bore Old Trafford and millions across the world to death every week and expect to keep your job. United fans are easy to please - just keep going for goals even if you fail to succeed. That is Man United.

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

^agreed

I would still give LVG 1 more season. I need to find a stat on our performances this calendar year.

The game tempo from Oct to mid-Jan was poor even though we scraped results.

Anyway let's see what the <new> manager can do with the squad + the war chest he'll be given.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:atc:

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Rashford and CBJ sign 4-year contracts

Rashford on 20k/week..wow

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

That is where we park our bus.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Rumours stating that Barcelona are trying to sign Daley Blind...
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

wiseone wrote:Rumours stating that Barcelona are trying to sign Daley Blind...
E be like say Barcelona no sabi something.
Daley Blind that when all is fit he can't start for Manu?
Well level get level,EPL is no joke.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Zlatan.

close.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Excellent player. But a 34-35yo striker with a monstrous ego and volcanic temperament at the end of his career is not what Man Utd needs right now.
tfco wrote:Zlatan.

close.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

wiseone wrote:Excellent player. But a 34-35yo striker with a monstrous ego and volcanic temperament at the end of his career is not what Man Utd needs right now.
tfco wrote:Zlatan.

close.
Yep doesnt sound like a good idea to me too, i remember Mourinho signing an old Eto on a free when he returned to Chelsea, and it turned out exactly as i expected.

I'm now a bit jealous of Arsenal signing Vardy.