The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2018/2019

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2018/2

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

our boys tried. I am really proud of them. They played like a serious team and with purpose, not the rubbish of the last several years.

Special shout out to Holding and LT. I honestly didnt expect the team to come together this soon after getting a new manager. Some things need to be worked out, and team will be set.
1. Ramsey's situation/replacement
2. Mkhi's inconsistence. His experience however, is what the team appears to hope on, and this somewhat limits Iwobi's chances.
3. Solid player to partner/rotate with others to partner LT.
4. Mustafi's replacement :(
5. Iwobi himself. Yes, I am hard on him because he is ours, but I feel he still holds back. He has really "improved" (wrong word, as he already had the talent and ability). I feel he was holding back quite a bit under Wenger....maybe feeling like he's a "junior player". He has become more expressive, but I still feel that he's operating at about 50% of what he is capable of. He needs to unleash his inner Kanu+Okocha. BE BOLD. He can be like Eden Hazard is for Chelsea.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Robbynice wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:That was a robust performance, full of vim and vigor.
I never thought I would see the day when we would
make a team like Liverpool play for a draw.

My favorite moment of the game was Xhaka’s tackle
on Salah. Just sweeeeeeeet!

Lacazette’s goal was a close second. We balled.
Xhaka was outstanding.
He was OK. He gave the ball away cheaply throughout the 1st half...
Really? Baba fear God now...You probably do not know Xhaka but he is the one that wears the #34 jersey for Arsenal... :|
My brother, some people have an auto game tape that plays in their heads, while they write their match report before the game starts.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:our boys tried. I am really proud of them. They played like a serious team and with purpose, not the rubbish of the last several years.

Special shout out to Holding and LT. I honestly didnt expect the team to come together this soon after getting a new manager. Some things need to be worked out, and team will be set.
2. Mkhi's inconsistence. His experience however, is what the team appears to hope on, and this somewhat limits Iwobi's chances.
5. Iwobi himself. Yes, I am hard on him because he is ours, but I feel he still holds back. He has really "improved" (wrong word, as he already had the talent and ability). I feel he was holding back quite a bit under Wenger....maybe feeling like he's a "junior player". He has become more expressive, but I still feel that he's operating at about 50% of what he is capable of. He needs to unleash his inner Kanu+Okocha. BE BOLD. He can be like Eden Hazard is for Chelsea.
Mkhitarian is going through a rough patch confidence wise. You can see that the guy is a gifted player. Personally, I think it was a masterstroke for Emery to give him a chance in this high stakes game. He actually played with the kind of heart we haven't seen from him before in an Arsenal shirt. He's one person that I wish that his mates and the coaching team will wrap their arms around him and help his confidence continue to grow.

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Meanwhile, if it was Cech that made the mistakes Leno made today, he would have been slaughtered here.

Goes to show that every one makes mistakes.

Having said that, Leno is quite solid.

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cally wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:our boys tried. I am really proud of them. They played like a serious team and with purpose, not the rubbish of the last several years.

Mkhitarian is going through a rough patch confidence wise. You can see that the guy is a gifted player. Personally, I think it was a masterstroke for Emery to give him a chance in this high stakes game. He actually played with the kind of heart we haven't seen from him before in an Arsenal shirt. He's one person that I wish that his mates and the coaching team will wrap their arms around him and help his confidence continue to grow.
Agree, re Mkhi as a gifted player. We need him to come through, as we need every single one of our boys.
I missed the story on Bellerin...why he was subbed in the last game...was he playing with a lingering injury today? Despite playing quite well, there was one moment when I saw him struggling to keep up with Mane in a foot race. That looked nothing like him.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Cally wrote:

Agree, re Mkhi as a gifted player. We need him to come through, as we need every single one of our boys.
I missed the story on Bellerin...why he was subbed in the last game...was he playing with a lingering injury today? Despite playing quite well, there was one moment when I saw him struggling to keep up with Mane in a foot race. That looked nothing like him.
He had a right thigh issue and was even a game time decision for the game today.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
ojafranpa
Egg
Egg

Post by ojafranpa »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Xhaka was outstanding.
Only one time when he misplaced a pass. Haba
Make good thinking a priority so that you can make Godly placement a possibility.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Xhaka was outstanding.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

According to AFC's official website:

"More passes than anyone else on the pitch
More recoveries than anyone else on the pitch
More tackles than anyone else on the pitch

Pretty impressive stats, Granit"

Xhaka made twice as many tackles as anyone on the pitch in the 1st half, also completed more passes in the opposition half. He did all that giving away the ball the least of all the midfielders on the pitch in a ridiculously high paced, close quarter in your face, high pressing first half.

He gave the ball away 8 times (3 times ball went put of play, twice intercepted in his half and 3 times in the opposition half) in the first half, he gave it away the least of all midfielders in that first half. He had the best numbers, in almost any stat to any player on that pitch, including the most distance covered and most sprints. Most of his sprints were for defensive actions, like pressing the opposition.

Xhaka is the type of player you have to focus on to really appreciate how good he is. Usually, it is only when he makes a mistake he gets noticed during a game. People just do not understand what he does. He starts every single game for a reason. He has the longest contract at the club for a reason.

If you want more numbers, I can give it to you. Xhaka had a stormer of a game. He did not just pass, he passed it with purpose, he hurt Liverpool with some great passes, he had the stadium gasping with some of his packing passes.

Nobody has defended the player more than me to his critics in that stadium, they are now admitting they were wrong about him. Before a ball was kicked this season, I told them all about how Torreira will make us see him playing his best position. Today, he and Torreira bossed Liverpool in that midfield.

Have a look at Xhaka pass map. He had 13 unsuccessful passes all game. You do not want to see Fabinho's.

Notice how good Arsenal's midfield became with him returning from left back. Now you hear this rubbish about Xhaka improving, like they claim with other players they have criticised and written off unfairly. These people just don't want to admit they were wrong. Xhaka has always been a damn good player. This rubbish about him improving this season is BS told by those with an agenda. For the past 12 months, he has consistently been our best player and I have been banging on about it here and to everyone who knows me and like football.

He has also played with more partners than any Arsenal midfielder I know of in the time he has been at the club, also playing different roles in that midfield. All these have helped him develop to being the player he is now in this league. He is only 26, I am glad he is locked on a 7 year contract, if he decides to leave, we will get a ton of money for him.

Something I noticed about him from the way he recovered from being picked on and getting sent off earlier in his Ardenal career was his unbending iron will to succeed. He is as tough as you will get mentally. He is unbreakable and a real leader.

BTW! After his performance at LB in which he showed so much battling qualities, character and leadership, he has won serious respect in that stadium. You should have seen what he did when Liverpool scored. He was the one who led the troops by shouting words of encouragement to them when the likes of Bells, Kolasinac Holding etc were down cast. Ozil was made Captain for tge gsme and he was good too, but you now hear things like Xhaja should be the Captain of the team on a permanent basis in that stadium. For me, he has always been Captain Xhaka.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Oh! Aniks, wey you?

What happened to your Xhaka is slow narrative? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

I saw him disprove your theory at FB but I remember Xhaka getting a huge cheer at the stadium when he made a 40 dash to get to the rocket paced Salah. A slow player cannot do this. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
I know you have to consider the angle of pursuit but if Xhaka was slow like you claim. He does not get close to Salah.

Now, who has been telling fables about Xhaka? :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Kai! Mustafi sef, na wa for am oh. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just when I don vex for am. He decides to show up and shut me up. How can you explain or reconcile the Mustafi of last week against Palace to the Mustafi against Liverpool?

Big shout out to Holding.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

:shock:
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cally wrote:

Completely agree. Also, he bring balance to the team, cos he is the one genuine right sided wide attacker we have. Apart from the fact that he combines well with Bellerin, he slso allows Ozil play number 10.

Iwobi is not as effective on the right side and Emery in pursuit of balance, had to take off Auba so he can move Iwobi left side. He brought on Ramsey and Ozil had to switch to the wide left attacking position.

Emery then went for 3 at the back, with Iwobi as a wing back. We got the goal from the changes but it must be said if Mikh played better, it might have been different. We need him firing in all cylinders ASAP.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

I agree on Alex but we need to be patient. A young Alex was the one who humiliated opponents with his dribbling skills, but in learning the game he became more of a passer than dribbler. But as he gets more experience, he needs balance of both. He needs to know when best to pass or dribble, when it is best for the team to chose the right weapon at the right moment. This sort of decision making comes with experience. He is well ahead of schedule.
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Slowly but surely, the end of Wengabe’s reign is proving to be the blessing foretold for years. Onwards and upwards.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Waffiman wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Xhaka was outstanding.

Xhaka made twice as many tackles as anyone on the pitch in the 1st half, also completed more passes in the opposition half. He did all that giving away the ball the least of all the midfielders on the pitch in a ridiculously high paced, close quarter in your face, high pressing first half.

He gave the ball away 8 times (3 times ball went put of play, twice intercepted in his half and 3 times in the opposition half) in the first half, he gave it away the least of all midfielders in that first half. He had the best numbers, in almost any stat to any player on that pitch, including the most distance covered and most sprints. Most of his sprints were for defensive actions, like pressing the opposition.

Xhaka is the type of player you have to focus on to really appreciate how good he is. Usually, it is only when he makes a mistake he gets noticed during a game. People just do not understand what he does. He starts every single game for a reason. He has the longest contract at the club for a reason.

If you want more numbers, I can give it to you. Xhaka had a stormer of a game. He did not just pass, he passed it with purpose, he hurt Liverpool with some great passes, he had the stadium gasping with some of his packing passes.

Nobody has defended the player more than me to his critics in that stadium, they are now admitting they were wrong about him. Before a ball was kicked this season, I told them all about how Torreira will make us see him playing his best position. Today, he and Torreira bossed Liverpool in that midfield.

Have a look at Xhaka pass map. He had 13 unsuccessful passes all game. You do not want to see Fabinho's.

Notice how good Arsenal's midfield became with him returning from left back. Now you hear this rubbish about Xhaka improving, like they claim with other players they have criticised and written off unfairly. These people just don't want to admit they were wrong. Xhaka has always been a damn good player. This rubbish about him improving this season is BS told by those with an agenda. For the past 12 months, he has consistently been our best player and I have been banging on about it here and to everyone who knows me and like football.

He has also played with more partners than any Arsenal midfielder I know of in the time he has been at the club, also playing different roles in that midfield. All these have helped him develop to being the player he is now in this league. He is only 26, I am glad he is locked on a 7 year contract, if he decides to leave, we will get a ton of money for him.

Something I noticed about him from the way he recovered from being picked on and getting sent off earlier in his Ardenal career was his unbending iron will to succeed. He is as tough as you will get mentally. He is unbreakable and a real leader.

BTW! After his performance at LB in which he showed so much battling qualities, character and leadership, he has won serious respect in that stadium. You should have seen what he did when Liverpool scored. He was the one who led the troops by shouting words of encouragement to them when the likes of Bells, Kolasinac Holding etc were down cast. Ozil was made Captain for tge gsme and he was good too, but you now hear things like Xhaja should be the Captain of the team on a permanent basis in that stadium. For me, he has always been Captain Xhaka.
:clap: If you know, you know.

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

theYemster wrote:

:shock:
The King Kanu part will tame the wild Okocha skills part :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Coach wrote:Slowly but surely, the end of Wengabe’s reign is proving to be the blessing foretold for years. Onwards and upwards.

Don't let that remnant Nkume hear you.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Waffiman wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Xhaka was outstanding.

Ok, he tried "small" :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: But we need a Viera!
AFCON 2019 sweet o

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Waffiman wrote:Oh! Aniks, wey you?

I saw him disprove your theory at FB but I remember Xhaka getting a huge cheer at the stadium when he made a 40 dash to get to the rocket paced Salah. A slow player cannot do this. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
I know you have to consider the angle of pursuit but if Xhaka was slow like you claim. He does not get close to Salah.

See Olodo :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You clearly didn’t see Mo foolishly cut the ball into Xhaka’s path abi and bring him into the race? This guy na wa ohhh :rotf: :rotf:

But then again you were admonishing lambs (who meekly bowed to ya fake Ogboju) here until I had to smack you upside the head with the truth on ya fable about Mustafi’s yellow card status :taunt: :taunt:

So when it comes to boldly espousing fables, ur in a class of one :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Xhaka was outstanding.

Ok, he tried "small" :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: But we need a Viera!
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:

See Olodo :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

You clearly didn’t see Mo foolishly cut the ball into Xhaka’s path abi and bring him into the race? This guy na wa ohhh :rotf: :rotf:

But then again you were admonishing lambs (who meekly bowed to ya fake Ogboju) here until I had to smack you upside the head with the truth on ya fable about Mustafi’s yellow card status :taunt: :taunt:

So when it comes to boldly espousing fables, ur in a class of one :taunt:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Nor worry. By the end of this season, you will sing captain Xhaka's name. Mark my words. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

Yesterday was the first time Xhaka and Torreira took on a top 4 midfield. It was 2 against 3, they won easily. That gives me so much hope.

I also have another stats showing how we have improved from being the team that gave up the most shots and chances to the team that now gives up the 3rd least shots and chances since Torreira partnered Xhaka in that midfield. That stats plus the fact that we have Auba and Lacazette who can get you a goal from nothing, gave me serious hope going into the Liverpool game.

I just hope Bellerin who was struggling by the end of the game is fit because he is now a key player in this team. We desperately need him.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Coach wrote:Slowly but surely, the end of Wengabe’s reign is proving to be the blessing foretold for years. Onwards and upwards.
Kpom we allow him stay too long and hope those his fans Will now accepted We were right to force him out for his own good.But so far Emery has alot to do to show we make the right decision to bring him,he still make some mistakes.Good luck to him
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

Over short distances we could say Xhaka is slow(not meant as criticism) but that didn't deter him from covering huge distance across midfield. Xhaka's perceived weaknesses last season were mostly due to him actually playing without a partner and also playing with teammates who were not willing or incapable of covering up those weaknesses. With Torreira complementing him, Xhaka is slowly starting to play like the Borussia Monchengladbach Xhaka again(minus the red cards). Actually both players are complimenting each other really well. That balance in midfield and the tactics adopted by the manager is not only the midfield but defence as well, with or without the ball. Liverpool midfield relies on pressing you as high as possible and then release the ball to their front three but both Torreira and Xhaka were wise to that partly due to availability of passing options from both the defence and forwards. Its not that their midfielders didnt try to press Xhaka onto making mistakes, they did and the fact that there were passing options made it easier to pass through the press.They were also much aware of the threat posed by long passes from both Xhaka and Mustafi. I heard some saying that if it was Henderson playing instead of Fabinho and he would have tried to press as high as possible and I think that would have played directly onto arsenal's hands. Arsenal came to the game expecting Liverpool to try to press them onto making mistakes. Having a goalkeeper who is good with the ball and using Xhaka's perceived weakness to lure liverpool onto swarming onto him every time he had the ball actually made the said pressing a moot point. All Arsenal had to do was make sure that Xhaka didnt have to make risky passes when in possession by having Torreira close by and having the option of passing the ball backwards either to the defence or goalkeeper without the whole team panicking. Having a good ball playing centre back like Müstafi came handy in those type of situations.