Why did MANU let Memphis go, and Arsenal let Gnabry go?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Why did MANU let Memphis go, and Arsenal let Gnabry go?

Post by cic old boy »

You Know Who was at fault for Salzburg's 3rd goal too.
http://www.naijiant.com/
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

People's eyes are beginning to clear.
http://www.naijiant.com/
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:You Know Who was at fault for Salzburg's 3rd goal too.

LMAOO @ "Leeds born." The English are so cringe-worthyly idiotic. No wonder everyone hates them. If the boy committed terror now, they will say "Norwegian." repulsive people.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

danfo driver wrote:
cic old boy wrote:You Know Who was at fault for Salzburg's 3rd goal too.

LMAOO @ "Leeds born." The English are so cringe-worthyly idiotic. No wonder everyone hates them. If the boy committed terror now, they will say "Norwegian." repulsive people.
No.mimd them
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

cic old boy wrote:People's eyes are beginning to clear.
:D
Yep. Your eyes and Chuks own. :lol:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Reports say Barcelona planning to bring in Depay.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:Reports say Barcelona planning to bring in Depay.

:lol: :lol: Gotta love dutch coachs. I think it was Van Gaal who did this same nonsense when he took over barca-- buying all their brothers and children, flooding Barca with their average players.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:

:lol: :lol: Gotta love dutch coachs. I think it was Van Gaal who did this same nonsense when he took over barca-- buying all their brothers and children, flooding Barca with their average players.
Is Depay actually a bad player that will flop in Barcelona surrounded by all that talent or is he a handy player for the price being mentioned, who will actually put in a decent shift for his manager

Barcelona has spent a lot in the transfer market over the last few years on players who have not delivered to the highest levels expected of them.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Is Depay actually a bad player that will flop in Barcelona surrounded by all that talent or is he a handy player for the price being mentioned, who will actually put in a decent shift for his manager

Barcelona has spent a lot in the transfer market over the last few years on players who have not delivered to the highest levels expected of them.

I dont know.

Its just a shade of Van Gaal when a dutch coach gets a job at Barca and his first instinct is Wijnaldum and Memphis.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

@Danfo i also dont know but i am wondering what exactly does Barcelona need right now.

It seems like Ronald Koeman has already been written off before he even stands on the touchline.

Was Van Gaal a total failure at Barcelona. I remember Xavi and Iniesta speaking very well of him.
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

benteke wrote:

Depay is a good player but he wants the ball just as much as Messi so it's not going work unless the coach is very creative.

Wijnaldum will fit into that midfield.

Wijnaldum, Memphis, and de Jong have been important for Koeman's Dutch squad and how they play. I think he wants players that are already used to what the wants to achieve. I was thinking Messi will do the work Memphis does for the Dutch national team but maybe Koeman doesn't trust him.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:@Danfo i also dont know but i am wondering what exactly does Barcelona need right now.

It seems like Ronald Koeman has already been written off before he even stands on the touchline.

Was Van Gaal a total failure at Barcelona. I remember Xavi and Iniesta speaking very well of him.
You dont know why? You cant remember how he destroyed Valencia and was a total F9 failure at Everton? I wouldnt blame the people who have written him off. Personally, I dont care to have an opinion, but I think those who look at his recent disasters have reason to be skeptical. His fans will say "he turned Netherlands around" though, ignoring the difference between national team football and club football
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Donzman wrote:
benteke wrote:

Depay is a good player but he wants the ball just as much as Messi so it's not going work unless the coach is very creative.

Wijnaldum will fit into that midfield.

Wijnaldum, Memphis, and de Jong have been important for Koeman's Dutch squad and how they play. I think he wants players that are already used to what the wants to achieve. I was thinking Messi will do the work Memphis does for the Dutch national team but maybe Koeman doesn't trust him.
Gini and Memphis are very good players, but this is Barcelona-- one of the greatest clubs in football. To play for a club like Barca, Real, Bayern, etc etc-- you have to be "special" not just "very good." Are Gini and Memphis special?
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

danfo driver wrote:
Gini and Memphis are very good players, but this is Barcelona-- one of the greatest clubs in football. To play for a club like Barca, Real, Bayern, etc etc-- you have to be "special" not just "very good." Are Gini and Memphis special?
Depends on what you mean by "special," but they are good enough to play for Barcelona. Worse players have played for Barcelona, Real, and Bayern, and they have done well. We should not overstate the case. Some players are special and others just have to fit into the squad and do an excellent job.

Wijnaldum has a weak mindset but he seems to have found his place. Nobody expects him to score goals or even assist on a regular basis, which is the main criticism to his game. He will add dynamism to a dead midfield.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Donzman wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
but they are good enough to play for Barcelona.
Okay.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I dont know.

Its just a shade of Van Gaal when a dutch coach gets a job at Barca and his first instinct is Wijnaldum and Memphis.
But the modern Barcelona was shaped by Dutchmen, the great Cruyff the godfather of modern Barcelona, he used compatriot Koeman at some point
Barcelona is seeking it's roots. This the Dutchmen Cruyff, Rijkaard Van Gaal who cultivated modern Barcelona.
Barcelona for is revisiting it's modern roots with Koeman.
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I dont know.

But the modern Barcelona was shaped by Dutchmen, the great Cruyff the godfather of modern Barcelona, he used compatriot Koeman at some point
Barcelona is seeking it's roots. This the Dutchmen Cruyff, Rijkaard Van Gaal who cultivated modern Barcelona.

Kluivert, Overmars, Philip Cocu, Frank de Boer, van Bronckhorst, just to name a few.

These were all excellent Dutch players that starred for Barcelona in my short lifetime. I won't include van Bommel because he left for Bayern.

Wijnaldum will fit right into that Barca midfield.

I don't know about Memphis though, don't think he can fit in with Messi, Griezman, Fati, and co already there. If Vidal, Sergi Roberto, Arthur, can play for Barcelona, then Wijnaldum is good enough.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I dont know.

lol. we shall see,
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
benteke wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

I dont know.

lol. we shall see,

I'm not saying this whole move will be a resounding success.
Maybe it's not meant to be that, but just a move for Barcelona to find itself again.
It does sound alarming when another Dutch manager is assembling some of his acolytes there, but what I'm saying is that Barcelona rose as a result of the previous Dutch managers that many point as failures doing the same.
The stuff they did for Barcelona as a club goes far beyond winning trophies. It was like a foundation

I remember long ago watching a documentary when Rijkaard was Barcelona manager and things were tough, when he was bringing in Edgar Davids. There was a lot of trouble then. But from that and other Dutch before, Pep Guardiola was able to build something good.

Granted football has changed a lot now from when Barcelona was at its peak with Guardiola. But i can see why they have gone for Koeman and allow him to do his stuff
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Any complaints about Koeman so far?

What's the assessment :thumbs:
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Ronald Koeman at Barcelona actually deserves a thread on its own :thumbs:

Just so we can have a healthy gallop