Is Ajax's Erik Ten Hag World Class?

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Is Ajax's Erik Ten Hag World Class?

Post by Enugu II »

Given Erik Ten Hag's journey with Ajax Amsterdam in the last two years, can he be classified as world class? Just asking. :winking:
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is Ajax's Erik Ten Hag World Class?

Post by danfo driver »

While he has consistently improved over the last 4-5 years, the consistency one needs to be classified as "world class" is in "performance at the top." He has never won a title in his coaching career and this is his first CL appearance.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

danfo driver wrote:While he has consistently improved over the last 4-5 years, the consistency one needs to be classified as "world class" is in "performance at the top." He has never won a title in his coaching career and this is his first CL appearance.
Agreed, this is his first CL appearance but he has done well with the talent at his disposal. Doing far more with less profile players than the guys that have so many words written about them, should be respected.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

What is the definition of world class? It seems itS a term Nigerians use when they like a player they think had a good game with a big team. 24hrs ago nobody ever mentioned his name on CE, now he’s world class.
OCCUPY NFF!!
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:
danfo driver wrote:While he has consistently improved over the last 4-5 years, the consistency one needs to be classified as "world class" is in "performance at the top." He has never won a title in his coaching career and this is his first CL appearance.
Agreed, this is his first CL appearance but he has done well with the talent at his disposal. Doing far more with less profile players than the guys that have so many words written about them, should be respected.
Jardim did similar, beat Pep and Tuchel, Puel did the same but not one will call them world class. ten Hag hasn't even won a league yet.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:What is the definition of world class? It seems itS a term Nigerians use when they like a player they think had a good game with a big team. 24hrs ago nobody ever mentioned his name on CE, now he’s world class.
I am not certain what it is. What I know for sure is that it is subjective.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Jardim did similar, beat Pep and Tuchel, Puel did the same but not one will call them world class. ten Hag hasn't even won a league yet.
Kalani,

What would you call him then A guy who uses less heralded players to beat heralded teams? :???: Or, wait a minute, Ajax's success may be due to the players unlike the successes of the likes of Klopp and Guardiola? :???:
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

He certainly is better than Juve and Real class for sure. This one is no fluke. Someone please give the man a cookie for ‘reinventing’ the good old Dutch total football using novices and kids against squads assembled wth zillions.
He is football class for those who love the game and all it stands for.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

hestonap wrote:He certainly is better than Juve and Real class for sure. This one is no fluke. Someone please give the man a cookie for ‘reinventing’ the good old Dutch total football using novices and kids against squads assembled wth zillions.
Thanks for that point. This guy must be respected for upending teams built with zillions and then coaches are hyped based on those zillion-worth players. I will bow for this guy first before those who are hyped based on zillion-worth players.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Kalani,

What would you call him then A guy who uses less heralded players to beat heralded teams? :???: Or, wait a minute, Ajax's success may be due to the players unlike the successes of the likes of Klopp and Guardiola? :???:
I call it a good run! Many managers have done this before and done nothing since. I think he's one to watch but there are at least five managers I think are better than him that I don't even call world class.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

hestonap wrote:He certainly is better than Juve and Real class for sure. This one is no fluke. Someone please give the man a cookie for ‘reinventing’ the good old Dutch total football using novices and kids against squads assembled wth zillions.
He won two legged ties, Zidane won three Champions Leagues in a row and Allegri has made finals appearances in half of the last four editions.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Kalani,

I call it a good run! Many managers have done this before and done nothing since. I think he's one to watch but there are at least five managers I think are better than him that I don't even call world class.
Okay. But what would you call a guy who does it consistently but always on the back of a squad worth zillions? Should context (e.g. player pedigree at manager's disposal) not be a criterion for evaluating coaches?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Kalani,

Okay. But what would you call a guy who does it consistently but always on the back of a squad worth zillions? Should context not be a criterion for evaluating coaches?
Sure if they win consistently in competitive leagues then no problem with the world class designation. I just don't think one single run necessarily = world class.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Kalani,

Okay. But what would you call a guy who does it consistently but always on the back of a squad worth zillions? Should context not be a criterion for evaluating coaches?
Sure if they win consistently in competitive leagues then no problem with the world class designation. I just don't think one single run necessarily = world class.
Kalani,

Let's leave the world class for a moment. The truth is that the term is used to attract attention to this thread. The point that I want to make substantively is that this guy's achievement, based on players at his disposal, is far more monumental that what the likes of Guardiola, Klopp, and others have done. Based on this that it is important to introduce contextual considerations in hyping coaches. Bring it home ( :lol: ) is to point out that Amuneke's work at Tanzania getting to the AFCON may well be more monumental that say Rohr getting Nigeria to the AFCON.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Kalani,

Okay. But what would you call a guy who does it consistently but always on the back of a squad worth zillions? Should context (e.g. player pedigree at manager's disposal) not be a criterion for evaluating coaches?

But what is the right context?

The modern game is first off about money, but football remains a game based on ideas- first from the players and then the manager who harnesses that into a team concept.

There's a lot written lately about this issue because of Guardiola's failures in the CL vs the money spent by his teams.

But football is primarily about ideas around the management of space.

In that context, what Pep has done is redefine the time-space dimension in the game. That is revolutionary....

Ten Hag is an up and coming manager who has won two brilliant games in the CL KO stages. Far too early to anoint him...
Last edited by txj on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Enugu II wrote:
Kalani,

Let's leave the world class for a moment. The truth is that the term is used to attract attention to this thread. The point that I want to make substantively is that this guy's achievement, based on players at his disposal, is far more monumental that what the likes of Guardiola, Klopp, and others have done. Based on this that it is important to introduce contextual considerations in hyping coaches. Bring it home ( :lol: ) is to point out that Amuneke's work at Tanzania getting to the AFCON may well be more monumental that say Rohr getting Nigeria to the AFCON.
As far as this season achievements go, I'll put his up there.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:Kalani,

He has beaten Juve and Madrid. That is the extent of his achievement atm, whatever the level of his players might be. In the next few weeks, he could be pipped for the title by PSV (I think not)...

There has to be more. Jardim won more CL games with Monaco, but also a Ligue 1 title...

And to suggest his "achievement" is far more monumental than Klopp and Guardiola? Based on what exactly?

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

txj wrote:

He has beaten Juve and Madrid. That is the extent of his achievement atm, whatever the level of his players might be. In the next few weeks, he could be pipped for the title by PSV (I think not)...

There has to be more. Jardim won more CL games with Monaco, but also a Ligue 1 title...

And to suggest his "achievement" is far more monumental than Klopp and Guardiola? Based on what exactly?
txj,

The statement is based on the pedigree of players at the disposal of those that are compared. The context is important in making those comparisons as I point out.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
txj wrote:

txj,

The statement is based on the pedigree of players at the disposal of those that are compared. The context is important in making those comparisons as I point out.
Pedigree is ephemeral; talent is the key issue, and make no mistake, Ajax is a very, very talented team, built on a playing model that goes back more than half a century.

Its a far too incomplete a project to be making such conclusive comparisons. Winning two games as underdogs cannot be a valid basis for such comparisons or conclusions...

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kalani JR wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Bro This is a chance to show you what I mean.

Read your post and read TxJ's post. Tell me that you cannot notice the similarities. I am sorry, my man! but...this is not good. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
hestonap
Egg
Egg

Post by hestonap »

kalani JR wrote:
He won two legged ties, Zidane won three Champions Leagues in a row and Allegri has made finals appearances in half of the last four editions.
Since you chose to bring Zidane into this; well he had the luxury of World Cup winners and arguably the best player of his generation in his squad. This guy has kids and low profile players. They didn’t pack the bus, they beat bigger fishes while playing expansive and attractive football.

Not detracting from Zidane’s achievements but I find the work this chap has done very very impressive.
God bless and keep Nigeria and make his face shine on her undeserving as she may be.
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

hestonap wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
Since you chose to bring Zidane into this; well he had the luxury of World Cup winners and arguably the best player of his generation in his squad. This guy has kids and low profile players. They didn’t pack the bus, they beat bigger fishes while playing expansive and attractive football.

Not detracting from Zidane’s achievements but I find the work this chap has done very very impressive.
Not denying that what Ajax has done this season is impressive but its only one season right now where nothing has been won and you can't proclaim a man world class just off a single season (see Andre Villas Boas).
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

kalani JR wrote:
hestonap wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

Not denying that what Ajax has done this season is impressive but its only one season right now where nothing has been won and you can't proclaim a man world class just off a single season (see Andre Villas Boas).
I would disagree that a trophy has to be the decider of whether this coach has had a very significant season or not.