Yaya Toure retires

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Yaya Toure retires

Post by wiseone »

wiseone wrote:Oh sorry. Had no idea we were counting pre-season friendlies too. In that case I think Yaya's streak should only be 4. I heard he missed one in a pre-season friendly against Grimsby Town, then the following Thursday missed another one in training...

:roll:
furiously frank wrote: From that same thread:
Lambert finally missed a penalty in a pre-season game for Liverpool against AC Milan:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... endly.html
You will be right if you restrict it to EPL season games
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Yaya Toure retires

Post by Damunk »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
ohsee wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Retired at "34" Ok o.
He’s 36.
Correct. The fabulous Yaya, contender for African GOAT, and a straight-up world-class player in his prime. When Yaya was at City, I watched all City games just to see him show his finely honed skills. The gods blessed me by allowing me to see him play live with City in Toronto in 2013 or thereabouts when they came here. I went home from the stadium that day, thanking the gods for the gift of seeing an African player perform wonders.

He was a phenomenal player. It was a joy watching him for City.
I remember when his older brother Kolo was in his prime @ Arsenal. There was even speculation that he'd be the next Arsenal captain.

In a TV interview on Sky, Kolo talked about his footballing family and his up and coming little brother who was playing in France at the time (Yaya).
"How good is he?" he was asked.
"He is better than me" he replied with a smile.

It seemed he was simply trying to promote his kid brother and no-one believed him. It sounded preposterous because Kolo himself was really on top of his game at Arsenal at the time.

The rest, of course, is history. :thumb:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "