Officiating at the Women's worldcup

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
oscar52
Egg
Egg
Officiating at the Women's worldcup

Post by oscar52 »

How can African women team get fair officiating? It seems to be harshest on Nigerian teams but it might be my perception. Also the way the American women commentators speak condescendingly about African teams, I just mute the games so I can enjoy it. I just saw a Chile player completely miss the ball and take out the leg of a Swedish player yet its a mere free kick with no cards because I suspect the referee looks like from Asia. If it was an African team, it might have been a straight red card and the game disintegrates from there as the players are easily demoralized. In the men's game, its bad too but not as bad as in the women's game. Should African FA's get involved and what should they do? You can't play your game with such distrust of the officials, and even though VAR should help in goal situations, it does not help with phantom cards in outfield play. I suggest:

1) African FAs and CAF to take a proactive role in this.
2) All cards be subject to VAR review, that will make the referees hesitant to use them unless absolutely sure.
3) Pseudo European nations should not be officiating games btw African and European nations e.g. Australia, New Zealand, Queensland, Iceland etc. Style of play bias may affect their officiating.
4) An African be in the VAR boot.
5) FIFA have all referees officiating in a worldcup (men or women) take a cultural awareness training.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Officiating at the Women's worldcup

Post by mcal »

...no go happen, at least for now. May be in the 50-100 years. FIFA has Africans (FAs and all) by their collective 'balls'.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

mcal wrote:...no go happen, at least for now. May be in the 50-100 years. FIFA has Africans (FAs and all) by their collective 'balls'.
Well they did for VAR so maybe they might. VAR has kinda put players that love to dive out of commission and they will now have to earn their goals like everyone else. But the game can still be heavily influenced by the refs. Another option is all the flag option used by the NFL where a coach an challenge up to three calls in a game and there is a supervisory official in the boot that can overrule a ref. The Norway vs Nigeria game was one of the worst officiating I have ever seen.
BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

oscar52 wrote:
mcal wrote:...no go happen, at least for now. May be in the 50-100 years. FIFA has Africans (FAs and all) by their collective 'balls'.
Well they did for VAR so maybe they might. VAR has kinda put players that love to dive out of commission and they will now have to earn their goals like everyone else. But the game can still be heavily influenced by the refs. Another option is all the flag option used by the NFL where a coach an challenge up to three calls in a game and there is a supervisory official in the boot that can overrule a ref. The Norway vs Nigeria game was one of the worst officiating I have ever seen.
Most biased officiating I have seen since the turn of the century. I shouldn't have stayed on till the 3rd goal. Demoralising for us, can't imagine how the girls felt
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

BigMuze wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
Most biased officiating I have seen since the turn of the century. I shouldn't have stayed on till the 3rd goal. Demoralising for us, can't imagine how the girls felt
+1. I am not even one to criticize refs but that was pretty poor. The ref neutered the Naija girls with calls and a card just as their confidence was building. It can be argued that a team should be mentally stronger than that but it is what it is and I have seen it on the men's side too were call going against them completely bends them out of shape. Think U20 Vs Argentina in 2005 final and Ngr vs Argentina (WC 2018). And when they are demoralized they start making all sorts of elementary mistakes just like the Norway vs Ngr game.
akamoke

Post by akamoke »

I put this to our coaches and players to start noisemaking before the game otherwise their silence is enabling. We should also work on the psychology of our games too
For my sceptical Nigerian Friends : Pessimism is great because you are either always right or pleasantly surprised.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

You guys clearly did not watch the 2014 or 2018 WCs if you think the Norway game was the worst officiating you have seen involving an African team. Ladies and gents I give you the Charlie Chaplin refereeing show, featuring, FIFA, Mark Geiger, and your Executive Producer, Mr "VAR is Bulls**t" Nourredine Amrabat:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=290268&p=5299901&hi ... i#p5299901

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=291891&p=5345456&hi ... i#p5345456
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

BigMuze wrote:
oscar52 wrote:
:huh: Well they did for VAR so maybe they might. VAR has kinda put players that love to dive out of commission and they will now have to earn their goals like everyone else. But the game can still be heavily influenced by the refs. Another option is all the flag option used by the NFL where a coach an challenge up to three calls in a game and there is a supervisory official in the boot that can overrule a ref. The Norway vs Nigeria game was one of the worst officiating I have ever seen.
The officiating was indeed very poor. Even the game analysts said the same thing. For example, how does a referee issue a warning and a penalty against a player for clearing off the ball in her 18 meter-box, yet the opposing player ran into her?

... but why would the referee not do what she did? Did CAF or the NFF file any Complaint/protest? No! Until we learn to fight back - somehow - the maltreatment (bad calls against us) will never stop
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
JACKAL
Egg
Egg

Post by JACKAL »

The difference between us and advanced footballing nations is we expect the ref to do their job and those other people don't. So they work very hard to influence the referee. Those other countries teach their players from an early age how to foul without getting caught, how to complain to the ref to get the desired result. We see all the European and south American countries do this in the world cup all the time so it looks to us like the ref is cheating for them.

Even our coaches don't know how to complain, but you See Mourinho and Wenger attacking the ref in the press even before they play the game. They are just looking for a psychological advantage to influence the ref.

I have said this before, we need to incorporate this into our football by appointing a referee to each national team to teach them how to complain and influence the referee during the game to get results.
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

JACKAL wrote:The difference between us and advanced footballing nations is we expect the ref to do their job and those other people don't. So they work very hard to influence the referee. Those other countries teach their players from an early age how to foul without getting caught, how to complain to the ref to get the desired result. We see all the European and south American countries do this in the world cup all the time so it looks to us like the ref is cheating for them.

Even our coaches don't know how to complain, but you See Mourinho and Wenger attacking the ref in the press even before they play the game. They are just looking for a psychological advantage to influence the ref.

I have said this before, we need to incorporate this into our football by appointing a referee to each national team to teach them how to complain and influence the referee during the game to get results.
They have turned the game into a science like almost everything else they do. Even in business, they try to influence not leave it all to chance.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

At a more basic level you and me can do our part. Scream blue murder at the top of our voices and get our journalists to document these things in print media and then you or I should be doing nicely put together compilations of all these injustices and putting them on video. If its well done, believe me it will become virile and believe me these things can help make a difference
Last edited by Comrade Machel on Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Samora Machel wrote:At a more basic level you and me can do our part. Scream blue murder at the top of our voices and get our journalists to document these things in print media and then you or I should be doing nicely put compilations of all these justices and putting them on video. If its well done believe me it will become virile and believe me these things can help make a difference
I can't remember which Nigerian coach (Siasia or Keshi) called out the referees in each press conference, I can't remember.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

African teams get screwed by refs at every FIFA tournament. A few examples from last year's WC:

1) Rojo handball v Nigeria - penalty not given even though the ref watches the handball on VAR.

2) Rojo kicks Iheanacho in the face with a reckless high kick (inside the area) - penalty not given.

3) Mascherano is allowed to play entire 45 minutes of second half v Nigeria with blood streaming down his face (even though rules at all levels (even down to park amateur football) state that players must leave the pitch if they are bleeding).

4) The "refereeing" in the Spain v Morocco game was more like a criminal conspiracy or banditry. Morocco got screwed. Biggest royal dic*ing since Charles and Camilla!

a) The Spain "equaliser" in the 92nd minute was an utter shambles of refereeing that should make the officials hang their heads in shame. Ref gave a "corner" to Spain - even though the ball had crossed the line and gone out of play for a Moroccan goal kick before a Moroccan player touched it. How on earth did VAR not spot that? Spain took the corner from the opposite side of the pitch to where the ball went out of play. The referee was not even looking when Spain took the corner, because they took it from the opposite side to where the ball went out of play and to where he told them to take it from. How could the ref, assistant on the pitch, 4th official, and 5 guys in the VAR room not spot that?!

b) Pique should have been sent off in the first 10 minutes. He went in with a two-footed, studs up, off the floor "tackle" that could have crippled an opponent. No red card, not even a yellow, not even a foul! :shock:

c) Pique (AGAIN!) controlled the ball with his arm (as if he was cuddling a baby) on the edge of the Spain area in the second half. He was standing 5 feet away from the ref (who was looking right at him) yet the ref gave nothing. It was so blatant that from a distance at first, it looked as if Pique actually caught the ball with his hand.

As Amrabat said: "VAR - is bull---t!"

Why are African teams regularly on the end of horror ref decisions?

I have repeatedly said that one of the most naive aspects of African football is our lack of cynicism, respect for referees, and deference to their authority. Other teams get away with murderous tackles against our players (e.g. Matuidi on Onazi in 2014) and refs give dodgy decisions against us, partly because when our players are fouled/get a bad call, their team-mates do not chase the referee, surround him to angrily demand a red card for the opposition player, our GK doesn't run 50 yards out of his goal to get in the faces of the referee and opposition, and our subs bench don't rise up in unison to wave imaginary red cards.

This is how European players "respond' to refs who do not give decisions in their favour:

European and South American teams harass the referee as a deliberate tactic of their play. They view ref pressuring as a tactic as legit and rehearsed as taking a corner or a shot. At the last Confed Cup when Sanchez scored for Chile against Germany, no Chilean player went to celebrate with him. Why? Because the Chilean players were angrily hounding the ref and demanding a red or yellow card for Germany's Rudy for a foul on Vidal in the move that led to the goal! :lol: Even though the fact the ref played advantage and did not blow the whistle is what allowed Sanchez to score! Can you imagine that. They refused to celebrate a goal because they were too busy arguing with him for playing advantage and letting them score!

In contrast African players are so sedate. Not a single Cameroon player objected outwardly to the ref decisions against them.

Read and weep:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284872&p=5140173&hi ... s#p5140173

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=280904&p=5043581&hi ... s#p5043581

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=251189&p=4263431&hi ... s#p4263431
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Samora Machel wrote:At a more basic level you and me can do our part. Scream blue murder at the top of our voices and get our journalists to document these things in print media and then you or I should be doing nicely put together compilations of all these injustices and putting them on video. If its well done, believe me it will become virile and believe me these things can help make a difference
I agree. Many of these referees needs to be exposed and shamed by non-official sources. If well done, the referees will take note and begin to change
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

oscar52 wrote:
...I agree about VAR, but that was more advantageous to Europe and South America in calling for it's use.
VAR has come a long way to be implemented, so will the the day African FAs will stand up at press conferences to criticize officials about their actions during a match.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

That "penalty" to France in the Norway v France game last night was shambolic. The Norway defender cleared the ball and in her follow through her foot hit the knee of a French player. WTF was she meant to do - magically make her foot become invisible after clearing the ball? If anything it should have been a FK to Norway because the French player came steaming in with both feet to try and block the clearance. How on earth could the ref give that as a penalty - after reviewing it on VAR?
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

wiseone wrote:That "penalty" to France in the Norway v France game last night was shambolic. The Norway defender cleared the ball and in her follow through her foot hit the knee of a French player. WTF was she meant to do - magically make her foot become invisible after clearing the ball? If anything it should have been a FK to Norway because the French player came steaming in with both feet to try and block the clearance. How on earth could the ref give that as a penalty - after reviewing it on VAR?
Same situation in the penalty award to Spain against South Africa

Wha choo looking at?!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Blatant ojoro agaisnt Jamaica :curse:
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
Thunder
Egg
Egg

Post by Thunder »

Another Aussie ref doing Cameroon dry against Netherlands. Shameful!
WHATEVER, WHEREEVER, & WHENEVER, FOREVER ARSENAL! I am an ARSENALIST!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Thunder wrote:Another Aussie ref doing Cameroon dry against Netherlands. Shameful!
the blue-haired 'striker' is their biggest problem.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...these white refs won't do this nonsense against black players on Brazilian team, but the will stifle, yellow card, red card, African players. Why?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

As soon as they see an African they believe they are looking at savages. So we never get the benefit that we only came to play football. As for people saying we should harass the refs, I laugh. I laugh because the sight of several African players and their officials sorrounding a white ref... Let me laugh again.. Because I know how that is going to be perceived when the racist dregs called media stsrt to wax lyrical about African teams behaving like savages.

The simple truth here whether we like it or not is, the playing field is not level. Take it or leave it. As soon as the VAR came in it became a tool to confirm whatever they want to affirm in the game. The problem with us Africans is believing these people want the field to be level, no they don't, the message has always been, know your place.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...watching Canada v New Zealand, come see how tough black Canadian player dey wack oyinbo Kiwis and ref not even producing yellow or even warning. It pays to be a super power or something like that.