National Anthems

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: National Anthems

Post by Damunk »

Baii wrote:Go and check out the Jamaican National anthem
Nah, not to the neutral with no sentimental attachment to it.
Its just a tune, nothing special. Doesn't stand out for me.

Much like the Nigerian anthem. Its 'sweet' to me because I'm Nigerian.
Otherwise, I doubt it would chart in my book.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

jette1 wrote:Biafran is the Best

We want to hear it. I doubt it would be much improvement from that of Nigeria. My question, when was Nigerians Anthem composed during civilian or military. The thing lacks inspiration and sounds like a forced indoctrination anthem. :laugh:
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Brazil, Spain France, South Africa, Zambia and Germany have the best national anthems. When their teams play I increase the volume so I can listen to them. Nigeria's anthem on the other hand sounds boring and basic.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Damunk wrote:
Baii wrote:Go and check out the Jamaican National anthem
Nah, not to the neutral with no sentimental attachment to it.
Its just a tune, nothing special. Doesn't stand out for me.

Much like the Nigerian anthem. Its 'sweet' to me because I'm Nigerian.
Otherwise, I doubt it would chart in my book.

Yea once in a while its nice to hear Naija's anthem at the World Cup, AFCON, Olympics etc but in general its too basic.
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
onwuatuegwu
Egg
Egg

Post by onwuatuegwu »

ANC wrote:

We want to hear it. I doubt it would be much improvement from that of Nigeria. My question, when was Nigerians Anthem composed during civilian or military. The thing lacks inspiration and sounds like a forced indoctrination anthem. :laugh:
It has been posted on R&R several times before.
onwuatuegwu
Egg
Egg

Post by onwuatuegwu »

Damunk wrote:
I'd like to hear it.
Sincerely.

I've always believed that musically the Igbos are the South Africans of Nigeria.
Their deep, multiple harmonies are a joy to listen to, just like the South Africans'.

I first became aware of this as a chorister in sec school when our choirmaster, Mr Amaechi, introduced us to Igbo hymns and folk songs and the amazing music of Harcourt Whyte whose collection I now have and treasure.

Then later I fell in love with Enugu Rangers and their fans' terrace football songs, again with layered harmonies ("Oli, oli, oli, oli... oli, oli, Enugu Rangers, Another Champion!") and many more. :dream:

Yorubas are more into their polyrhythms and there's less emphasis on harmonies.

If you've got the Biafran anthem, please share. :thumb:
Written by Nnamdi Azikiwe, I think there are different versions...here is one

[/video]

and there is this...

[/video]
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

onwuatuegwu wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I'd like to hear it.
Sincerely.

I've always believed that musically the Igbos are the South Africans of Nigeria.
Their deep, multiple harmonies are a joy to listen to, just like the South Africans'.

I first became aware of this as a chorister in sec school when our choirmaster, Mr Amaechi, introduced us to Igbo hymns and folk songs and the amazing music of Harcourt Whyte whose collection I now have and treasure.

Then later I fell in love with Enugu Rangers and their fans' terrace football songs, again with layered harmonies ("Oli, oli, oli, oli... oli, oli, Enugu Rangers, Another Champion!") and many more. :dream:

Yorubas are more into their polyrhythms and there's less emphasis on harmonies.

If you've got the Biafran anthem, please share. :thumb:
Written by Nnamdi Azikiwe, I think there are different versions...here is one

[/video]

and there is this...

[/video]
The first one isnt available to play in the UK according to Youtube.
Not too keen on the second one but maybe its the solitary female voice.
I suspect with full orchestration it might sound much better!
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

Samora Machel wrote:
Chimurenga Rebel wrote:
Samora Machel wrote:
Chimurenga Rebel wrote:
Damunk wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Damunk wrote:Nothing in the world touches the South African national anthem, my undisputed favorite.
Then the Nigerian and the German.

All the rest are 'just there'.
If so then you probably like Tanzania, Zambia, & Zimbabwe because all used - God Bless Africa composed in 1897 by South African Poet Enock Sontongs
For real? I knew there was another country that shared the Nkosi sikelel' Afrika tune but didnt know which.
In Zimbabwe's case we have now abounded Ishe Kombererai Africa(Nkosi Sikelele Afica). We now have another anthem which is boring as hell. Our current national anthem does not do anything for me.
I don't even know the words to the current one :curse:
We should have stuck with Ishe Komborera Africa. It is a truly inspiring Nation's anthem.
Yeah Ishe komborera Africa made one feel Zimbabwean/southern African

Same as Nkosi Sikelele was created by one man and adopted by other countries, flags of Namibia and South Africa were designed by one person Frederick Bownell. :thumbs: Maybe we should just become one big country

I know Chimurenga will not like that idea :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Me three.
Nkosi sikelela in our ends was an absolute wonder.
I remember the trials for the new one, i also hate it.

And I'm with you we should be one big nation, i think it will happen, what's the point of Malawi being on their own, they produced some great footballers for us, we would be a very tricky national team if we all unite.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

bret- hart wrote:Brazil, Spain France, South Africa, Zambia and Germany have the best national anthems. When their teams play I increase the volume so I can listen to them. Nigeria's anthem on the other hand sounds boring and basic.
I also like the Italian one, sounds nice used to hear it all the time when Ferrari was dominating Formula One