The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2019/2020

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2019/2

Post by ohenhen1 »

kajifu wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:The last time I was shaken by this club was when they sold RVP to Man Utd. #NeverAgain
So what happen you stop shake shake?
I am no longer emotionally invested in Arsenal. A club that had the audacity to sell RVP to Mancity is not interested about winning. So why should I shake?

If you follow American football, it is like the Denver Broncos trading John Elway to the Oakland Raiders. I am still shocked.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
tolahs
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by tolahs »

'Bout time Mesut & Sead are provided with round_the_clock_security. The targeting of this 2 has shades of NHL players families in the former USSR & families of football players in Brazil being targeted for money.
There needs to be a break through fast - hope the kids come around & do their jobs in peace.
If I give you a good wine, you will see how it tastes and after you ask where it comes from,'' ""To put players in my team who are not good enough will not strengthen the England team, and would weaken the Arsenal team.''The only thing I can say is that whenever England do not win it is always my fault,even when I am not at the game".Wenger said.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

David Luiz is exactly the sort of character Arsenal need - the days of a captain, leader, legend are over
CHARLIE ECCLESHARE

9 AUGUST 2019 • 12:06PM

Leaders in football - easy to deify, harder to define.

Typically in this country we’ve seen them in the 'captain, leader, legend' mould of a John Terry or Tony Adams, but those sort of characters are becoming increasingly rare.

At Arsenal in particular where Adams wore the armband with such distinction, true leaders have been conspicuous only by their absence in the last decade or so.

Until now, perhaps.

To the traditionalists, new signing David Luiz must seem like the antithesis of a good leader. After all the conventional wisdom is that he lacks defensive smarts, showed his true colours by forcing a move from Chelsea, and is generally a bit of a clown. Former Arsenal defender Martin Keown wrote in the Daily Mail that his former club should “walk away from this deal. It’s too high risk.”A closer look at Luiz though points to a more sophisticated character, and suggests it might be time to reframe what we consider leadership to be in football.

First of all, Luiz is extremely brave on the pitch. We've tended to define bravery as putting in meaty tackles - something Luiz is also capable of - but in 2019 footballing courage manifests itself in other ways. Receiving the ball in tight areas surrounded by forwards chasing you down like starving hyenas, for instance. Or backing yourself to defend one on one against the best strikers in Europe. Or how about, in our possession-obsessed game, trusting your technique to find a team mate with a 50-yard diagonal pass off either foot?

For too long Arsenal have had players who absolve themselves of responsibility. Luiz, who may not scream and shout, is not like that - he even played the 2012 Champions League final basically on one leg, and still summoned up enough energy to bury a penalty in the shoot-out.

Then there is his near-universal popularity in the dressing room. At Chelsea, Luiz was always the centre of the off-field jokes, and is known to be someone who has time for everyone at the club he's playing at. He also thrives as a mentor of young players, including taking Bernard under his wing for the Brazil national side. Luiz would even jokingly tuck the diminutive Bernard into bed and pretend to read him a night-time story.

This could be defined as clownish behaviour, but it also illustrates that some players respond well to a bit of TLC. After all, the hairdryer is not for everyone.

A few veteran managers and pundits could do with being reminded of this. Jose Mourinho, Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane have all left jobs over the last year having fallen out and failed to connect with their players. Yet the default reaction of most, shall we say more experienced, experts is to suggest that struggling players need a kick up the backside - or a captain like Terry.

Luiz does not fit that paradigm but is what Arsenal require after years of laissez-faire management. Yes, he agitated to leave Chelsea so could be seen as temperamental, but in the current climate if clubs avoided all players who had forced a move, who would they be left with?

So often derided, the "PlayStation" defender could be precisely the mentor Arsenal's millennial generation has been missing.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... s-captain/
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

ohenhen1 wrote:
kajifu wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:The last time I was shaken by this club was when they sold RVP to Man Utd. #NeverAgain
So what happen you stop shake shake?
I am no longer emotionally invested in Arsenal. A club that had the audacity to sell RVP to Mancity is not interested about winning. So why should I shake?

If you follow American football, it is like the Denver Broncos trading John Elway to the Oakland Raiders. I am still shocked.
Man U you mean.

Notwithstanding, I think there has been somewhat of a statement of intent this window, the Iwobi sale notwithstanding.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Talking stats, set up and tactics.

Playing Auba, Laca and Pepe as a front 3, is an unbalanced set up which I believe can be overcome by the abilities, chemistry of the players and above all set up and tactics. But this will not be easy in a league that is now very quick to exploit weaknesses in any system.

Arsenal as we have seen in pre season have done very well with pace and skill in wide positions. So there is hope that we will be able to stretch teams this season.

Pepe, we hope, can help overcome the short comings of a side bereft of chances with the help of more creativity from deep. But the main reason this will work is the phenomenal footballer that is Lacazette.

Laca can play 9 and half 9, plus he is very useful cutting in from wide positions. With Laca, that front 3, given the flexibility to evolve. In a nutshell, we might see our forwards taking starting positions below and morphing into different shapes and positions.

Auba-------Laca------Pepe. Laca will be the number 9 but he can go into any wide position. But this will see a traditional 4-3-3 with the wide attackers cutting in mainly. But there will be fluidity of movement and inter changing of positions with the front 3. The problem is, we hardly played 4-3-3 last season, so I don't expect it much this season.

‐----------------------------Laca----------
-----------Auba--------------------------Pepe---. Last season, this was the default starting position of the attackers for most games in s 4-2-3-1. This is Emery's favourite formation. Mikh gave balance on the right side and Iwobi contested the wide left attacking position with others. By tucking in, it gave the FBs width. I think this will be the default this season too.

I also think, we will see something like this if we go by pre season.

----------------Auba‐---------------------------------Pepe---
----------------------------------Laca----------------. Laca will be the half 9, who will drop off to make up bodies in a 4-4-2. Emery like to defend with a 4-4-2 shape, but the defensive 4-4-2 shape will be slightly different to the offensive one. But, these alterations are quick and temporary before we return to Emery's default formation of 4-2-3-1.

Please note, that players will change and it will be interesting to see which players step up to the mark as the season progresses. But Emery has the problem of chemistry, ie, the team gelling, because the attacking positions are the positions most affected by the window.

Having said the above, I need to return to my main issue. It is not even the chemistry of the front 3 that is my main worry because I believe the front 3 gelling is also largely dependent on the midfield behind them.

My real concern is that we do not have the kind of athletic energetic and diligent central midfielders, who will cover for the front 3 defensively in the channels (like Liverpool's do). To make matters worse, we will not play a 4-3-3 like Liverpool do, so it will be more difficult covering for our front 3.

Last season, Emery thought Torreira and Guendouzi could do this job of covering the channels defensively. Torreira definitely can, that's his game but with Guendouzi on that left side, he just was not ready, despite being more mobile and athletic. Guendouzi has the energy but not the diligence. So like last season, I fear it will be Torreira plus Xhaka/Guendouzi getting regularly dragged apart, with gaps through the middle.

So what are the alternatives? Play Torreira as a number 8. We have used 4-2-3-1 all pre season, a lot of the kids in pre season are 'wide forwards' like Pepe or Auba, and we still using that shape, Torreira cannot handle the workload of being a regular 8, especially with our 3 forwards.

Emery tried Mkhi by benching Laca or subbing him. The idea being to give more support to the Xhaka and Torreira with Mkhi's superior work rate and defensive qualities. We lost out as an attacking force because we were rarely effective as an attacking force without Laca. Defensively, we still conceded goals.

Bottomline, last season we had problems defending in that midfield and playing out from deep. So what have we done to address this problem?

I think we'll start with a Mkhi, Ozil, Auba and Laca front four, with Ceballos and Pepe gradually introduced into the team. We also have Martinelli who I rate best of the young players, then Nelson and Zaka.

I think our choices of attacking four could work quite well if the midfield behind them performs to the right level. That front three has the potential to gel nicely if things go well. But this will only happen with a balance of mobility, creativity, steel, diligence and defensive ability.

But can we do this with any of Xhaka, Guendouzi and Torreira. For me, the answer is no. If we are going to play any of this two, then we only have a chance with a 4-3-3.

So Ceballos/Xhaka/Torreira or Torreira/Guendouzi/Ceballos midfield sounds right but I still don't think it is enough. It might be for bottom 8 teams at the Emirates but nothing more. Why? I don't think any of the three midfield is disciplined and/or athletically gifted enough to facilitate the front three. They would be fantastic on the ball, but off the ball, it will not work. For example, Ceballos can cover a lot of ground on the left (which I think is going to be a bigger problem than the right), because he is energetic but he is also indisciplined. But Emery can always play him in the number 10 role, but remember he has also played at Left Central Midfield/Left Midfield/Left Wing. But I see a central role for him.

I will be honest and say if I really wanted to balance the midfield shape around that front three, I will look for more athleticism, pace, steel, power and can play. If I really wanted to balance the defensive shape around our front three, I would want Niles and Torreira as the double pivot ahead of Guendouzi or Xhaka. If I wanted to play Liverpool, City or top 6, I will also chose 2 of Luiz/Niles/Torreira with a four that must include Pepe, Laca and Auba. I will decide between Ozil, Ceballos etc for the 4th attacker. I have to be honest and say, Ozil is my first choice but looking to the future, you have to play Ceballos.

Having said all the stuff about 4-2-3-1, our midfield collection of midfielders suggests a gradual move towards 4-3-3 as the season progresses. At least I hope we are moving towards a 4-3-3 because I am intrigued by the idea of a Torreira, Guendouzi and Cabellos three. Yes, I am dreaming, but I'd like this fantasy Arsenal football team of mine to succeed in real life. But in the real world, a three of Ceballos/Torreira/Niles will be a match for Liverpool and City with that front three of ours. I am choosing Ceballos because I don't see a future for Ozil. If there was, he'd be my pick ahead of Ceballos.

But here is another conundrum with Ozil being phased out this season. If Ozil is to be phased out, then I think we are moving towards a number 10 who is more of a midfielder than forward (Ceballos/Willock), and I honestly don't think Emery will play a 4-3-3 formation. As Guardiola said, he's a 4-2-3-1 man and in his book, it is his formation.

Finally, I am afraid we will not see get to see a true Emery team until next season, but given all the turnover and the way the fans have been hoodwinked in thinking we can win the league or be top 2, he needs to deliver now to win that right.

When I analyse EPL seasons based on factors like injuries, loss of form, Ref's influence on games based on minor and major decisions, bad luck etc, I really do not see a major difference in this squad compared to last. Certainly not enough to give all these overblown hopes of doing wonderful things this season any credence. I hope and pray I am proven wrong.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

danfo driver wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

My prayers Emery should do his best,Fans should wait till like 12 games to go after him if results not coming our way.
Also a good result in our first two games will be massive before heading to Liverpool.Go to Liverpool with first 2 wins,worst get a draw there and we are in to compete,no more those bad results like last time we go there.Its not going to be easy but if we improved our away record we are going to do better than likes of Chelsea and Manu.Issue is how likes of Everton and Wolves are coming up.They will take points from Liverpool and City then expect a balance league fight for the crown
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

My people Liverpool next home game is against us oooh,the way they beat us last time at their ground,then Barca and now Norwich another victim,we are in hot water oooh.
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
In the last 5-10 years Facts!!!! We have been crappy but even with our crappy achievements in that period, yall are still crap compared to us. You even had a sugar daddy dangling dirty oil money and you guys had to fight tooth and nail to beat Wengers make shift team held together by chewing gum and omo solution. Yeye imitiation Chelski purnanis
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

kajifu wrote:My people Liverpool next home game is against us oooh,the way they beat us last time at their ground,then Barca and now Norwich another victim,we are in hot water oooh.
This guy sef, be like you don dethrone Kongi for the Shake-itis title :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

100%Naija wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
In the last 5-10 years Facts!!!! We have been crappy but even with our crappy achievements in that period, yall are still crap compared to us. You even had a sugar daddy dangling dirty oil money and you guys had to fight tooth and nail to beat Wengers make shift team held together by chewing gum and omo solution. Yeye imitiation Chelski purnanis
leftovers
SuperEagles

100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

Bigpokey24 wrote:
100%Naija wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
leftovers
At least we still gbensh small....you guys are just wall geckos. Watching us ... ewu Huestin! :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

100% assnal nah liike MLS..retirement club....
SuperEagles

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote:100% assnal nah liike MLS..retirement club....
But . Chelsea are the one depending on an American this season.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Luiz is not what Arsenal needed. Sokratis can provide the leadership needed that Luiz will provide. What Arsenal needed was a commanding CB like Upamecano or Koulibaly. A physically commanding center half like we had with some one like Sol Campbell. A general at the heart of our defense. Also some one that is 24 or 25 that can be at the club for the next 5 to 7 years. We also need a right back and left back. Belerin is good at going forward, but defensively he is awful. Monreal is getting old. Kolisinac is also limited defensively.

Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Can we agree there is no reason why we shouldn't finish 3rd or 4th this season? We were 1 pt short of 4th despite choking at the end of last season with a far inferior team. Coupled with Chelsea losing their best player, United losing their best scorer, and neither them nor Spurs improving, and I can't fathom us being outside of top 4.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:100% assnal nah liike MLS..retirement club....
But . Chelsea are the one depending on an American this season.
Dude that flew right over your head..you are slow oooo....MLS and Assnal are retirement destinations...what the heck has an American got to do with this?..smh
SuperEagles

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Heliopolis wrote:Can we agree there is no reason why we shouldn't finish 3rd or 4th this season? We were 1 pt short of 4th despite choking at the end of last season with a far inferior team. Coupled with Chelsea losing their best player, United losing their best scorer, and neither them nor Spurs improving, and I can't fathom us being outside of top 4.
I still don’t think Arsenal will make the top 4. City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Man Utd or Chelsea. Arsenal defense is still bad and will most likely drop points again to teams like Leicester, Wolves and Everton. Wolves could be the fifth team. Everton is on the rise but they are maybe 1 or 2 years away from Challenging for the top 4.

kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

ohenhen1 wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:Can we agree there is no reason why we shouldn't finish 3rd or 4th this season? We were 1 pt short of 4th despite choking at the end of last season with a far inferior team. Coupled with Chelsea losing their best player, United losing their best scorer, and neither them nor Spurs improving, and I can't fathom us being outside of top 4.
I still don’t think Arsenal will make the top 4. City, Liverpool, Tottenham and Man Utd or Chelsea. Arsenal defense is still bad and will most likely drop points again to teams like Leicester, Wolves and Everton. Wolves could be the fifth team. Everton is on the rise but they are maybe 1 or 2 years away from Challenging for the top 4.
Arsenal were better than Man United last year and have clearly improved, Chelsea don't have Hazard and no one knows what to expect of Pulisic. I don't see Everton or Wolves making credible challenges to the top four, not this year at least.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

100%Naija wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
They won a European Trophy last season. :D :taunt:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

kalani JR wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Arsenal were better than Man United last year and have clearly improved, Chelsea don't have Hazard and no one knows what to expect of Pulisic. I don't see Everton or Wolves making credible challenges to the top four, not this year at least.
Pulisic is a good player. Hazard replacement is Odoi. Wolves is a threat. They play good football. There are several teams that have gotten better and will most likely take points away from Arsenal this season. There was nothing wrong with the attack. The problem with Arsenal is the defense especially away from home.

Even Man Utd have gotten better with McGwire and Wan Bisaka. They still have Pogba and this is the make or break year for Rashford. Watch out for Greenwood.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I love how everyone is underestimating Wolves, Leicester and Everton
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

danfo driver wrote:I love how everyone is underestimating Wolves, Leicester and Everton
I think one of them will make fifth, hopefully not Leicester.