The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2019/2020

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
azuka
Egg
Egg
Re: The Arsenal FC - Related News and Development for 2019/2

Post by azuka »

Cally wrote:
azuka wrote:
Cally wrote:Personally, I was always of the opinion that we did not offer enough threat offensively. The defenders playing for the teams that did better than us were not head and shoulders above ours.

The problem was always offensive threat and team defending, especially defensive midfield.

Once we cut down on turnovers (esp from Xhaka), and everyone defends from the top, and we get more goals from our midfield, our league position will improve drastically.

Ramsey was one of those that killed us with turnovers, but of course he was leaving and became the best ever. I will not miss his dallying on the ball at all. I wish him the best.
Our not offering enough offensively is due to how the Emery positions the players on the pitch. TACTICS. Now some here we take it as an attack on Emery. But the truth must be told.
In many matches we have one of the best creator of chances Ozil playing so deep in our own half when he more effective in the opponent 3rd half. Auba is known for his speed, but can someone recollect how many times last season we explored this skill to score a counter attacking goal? I bet everyone is scratching their head to remember such a goal.
With the number of goals we scored last season, if we had conceded just 10 less goals we would have finished 3rd in the league. And yes, that's a fact. It all points to the same thing. A leaking basket of a defence.
And yes defending is a team's work. So we need to get a quality defender into our starting eleven and possibly bring back Keown to help beat our defending into shape.
Azuka, your points are solid. However, I don't think statistics tell all the story here. Yes, we may say that conceding 10 less goals would have gotten us in third position, but I daresay that a more potent and efficient attack would have made opponents less likely to attack us in the first place.

The EPL is a league of confidence. If you are a top side, the only way you can stay a top side is by attacking the lower teams with such ruthlessness that their game plan will always be around defense first. For me, that is Manchester City and Liverpool's main weapons. Most teams prepare to defend first against those teams cause if you dare attack them, you leave holes that they exploit with ruthless efficiency. That is also the main weapon Sir Alex used to make Manchester United almost invincible. He used that fear factor to kill opponents and referees alike, even the FA.

Once these lower teams in the EPL gain the confidence to have a go at you anyhow, then you cease to be a top team. That is why I'm not too worried that we seem to be going for more attacking players. Don't get me wrong, I also want a CB and a LB.
I highlighted your points here because this is the same points i made earlier in the course of last season when Emery goes to play a team fighting relegation and deploys a defensive minded team. It's all about tactics.
Being that said, the question we all need to answer is why is it that we need to score 2 or more goals to win a match? Leading by one goal leads every Arsenal fan with a near-heartache until the referee blows his final whistle?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Cally wrote:Personally, I was always of the opinion that we did not offer enough threat offensively. The defenders playing for the teams that did better than us were not head and shoulders above ours.

The problem was always offensive threat and team defending, especially defensive midfield.

Once we cut down on turnovers (esp from Xhaka), and everyone defends from the top, and we get more goals from our midfield, our league position will improve drastically.

Ramsey was one of those that killed us with turnovers, but of course he was leaving and became the best ever. I will not miss his dallying on the ball at all. I wish him the best.
Don't forget Belerin and Mutaffi mistakes.

Arsenal need to recruit more athletic defenders. Saliba is a good buy, but we wont get him until next season. Thierney will also be a major upgrade at left back. Arsenal should also buy a right back and offload Belerin.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Siddonlook11
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Siddonlook11 »

Wait o so the attacking options I saw in the championship playoffs nko ? Why cant we go raid Villa Middleboriugh or derby .. why must we buy Zaha ? chai.. I reall dont like the Zaha thing, I like grealish for example but he also will not come cheap.. I like Lewis Grabban feel those two are ready for Prem.
"The first key to greatness is to be in reality with what we appear to be ."

...Socrates
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

azuka wrote:
Here is what I think we want to address. Of the top 6 last season, we created by far the least chances, least shot on goal, least goals etc etc. We were the worst offence. We were also the worst defence.

Many take the view that our toothlessness encouraged teams to attack us more than they did the other top 6 teams. The idea is to make teams focus on defending and forget about attacking us consistently. I think we are trying to deal with the creative side of our football first, because belief is defending is more to fo with coaching rather the players.

For me, we need players in that defence and Central midfield.
Last season, we were 3rd team with the highest goals scored, 73 goals for after Man City with 95 and Liverpool with 89. Whereas as per goals conceded we have the 3rd worst record among the top 10 teams. Even Wolves 7th, Everton 8th and Leicester at 9th conceded less goals than we did. That shows exactly where our problems lie. In the defence.
It becomes a big cause for concern when we have to score 3 goals to win a match.
We did that with by far the least chances created, thanks to Auba and Laca. When they went off the boil, our season collapsed. Arsenal need options in offence just as much as they need to address the defence. I actually see much of the defensive problems starting in midfield and how we set up.

I am not disagreeing with your soundings on our defence but I take the view that if we go into this season with our limited options in offence, we are doomed. We need more options in offence.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Waffiman wrote:
azuka wrote:
Here is what I think we want to address. Of the top 6 last season, we created by far the least chances, least shot on goal, least goals etc etc. We were the worst offence. We were also the worst defence.

Many take the view that our toothlessness encouraged teams to attack us more than they did the other top 6 teams. The idea is to make teams focus on defending and forget about attacking us consistently. I think we are trying to deal with the creative side of our football first, because belief is defending is more to fo with coaching rather the players.

Last season, we were 3rd team with the highest goals scored, 73 goals for after Man City with 95 and Liverpool with 89. Whereas as per goals conceded we have the 3rd worst record among the top 10 teams. Even Wolves 7th, Everton 8th and Leicester at 9th conceded less goals than we did. That shows exactly where our problems lie. In the defence.
It becomes a big cause for concern when we have to score 3 goals to win a match.
We did that with by far the least chances created, thanks to Auba and Laca. When they went off the boil, our season collapsed. Arsenal need options in offence just as much as they need to address the defence. I actually see much of the defensive problems starting in midfield and how we set up.

I am not disagreeing with your soundings on our defence but I take the view that if we go into this season with our limited options in offence, we are doomed. We need more options in offence.
Totally agree.

Even likes of Man City and Liverpool off the ball requirements are cut down significantly due to ability to impose their will on the opposition. On the ball Arsenal were often rudderless, easy to nullify and eventually exploit. Arsenal must be more dynamic, have a far better variance in their attack, must regain ability to dictate tempo and match the with a more ruthless, efficient and balanced attack.
Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Tunisian Gooner
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tunisian Gooner »

Detective Bunk Moreland

'The bigger the lie, the more they believe'
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Thank you. Those were two players that had NO IDEAs how to protect the ball. Ramsey's problem was always that he considered himself like Pele or Maradona, and absolutely lacked positional discipline, despite his talent and physical attributes.

As for Xhaka, I know I am always nervous when he has the ball. It's as if he gets the ball, slowly begins to think of what to do, then S-L-O-W-L-Y begins to decide which leg to use to position the ball, before attempting to beat the player(s) that have already crowded him and taken away his options. My Uncle Waffi will come and disagree.

Xhaka for Arsenal is like an expensive suitcase with a broken handle. You don't want to discard, but it's not convenient to carry.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ramsey is gone, no replacement. But Willock gets his chance.

Welbeck is gone, no replacement, so Eddie gets his chance.

Do you see a replacement for Xhaka because we cannot afford a replacement.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

azuka wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
azuka wrote:

To be fair Waffi pointed that out very early on during last season. Waffi pointedly stated Arsenal unhealthy dependence on Laca and Auba, Recall after wins vs Spurs, Watford, Everton, Bournemouth etc Waffi posting stats on Arsenal chances created vs chances finished ratio, that is was not remotely sustainable and sooner or later Arsenal would regress to mean.

Eventually as Waffi predicted the chickens came home to roost, no doubt Arsenal must upgrade CB and LB position, no doubt Arsenal must improve as a collective defensively but it s also true Arsenal despite goals for stat were often a blunt as wooden spoon going forward.
Yeah i quite remember Waffi mentioning this. And i do not have a problem if an exceptional attacking player is available and we go for it. But Zaha is not an exceptional player. As far as I am concerned our pursuing Zaha is akin to our adventure in January with Suarez from Barca. We all remember how that ended up playing.
Scoring is not our problem. A basket defence is our major problem. And i believe we should pick a page from Liverpool's experience. We all saw how that Dutch CD changed the team. That's what a quality CD can do. I am so comfortable with us spending all the cash available to acquire a CD.
My bro, I think there are lots of quality wide attackers out there that will be cheaper, but Zaha is an attraction because he is EPL proven. We have bought unproven players in Saliba and Martinelli. The other players we are linked to are also unproven. We need proven quality too.

Also, I think Zaha is a better player than you give him credit for. I also believe playing with the likes of Auba and Laca will make him better.

However, I hope we do not pay the stupid money.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

bk-one wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Thank you. Those were two players that had NO IDEAs how to protect the ball. Ramsey's problem was always that he considered himself like Pele or Maradona, and absolutely lacked positional discipline, despite his talent and physical attributes.

As for Xhaka, I know I am always nervous when he has the ball. It's as if he gets the ball, slowly begins to think of what to do, then S-L-O-W-L-Y begins to decide which leg to use to position the ball, before attempting to beat the player(s) that have already crowded him and taken away his options. My Uncle Waffi will come and disagree.

Xhaka for Arsenal is like an expensive suitcase with a broken handle. You don't want to discard, but it's not convenient to carry.
[/color]
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Everybody/opponents (besides Xhaka) realised that an put somebody there to rush him everytime he's got the ball. That is working 95% of the time but somehow Xhaka/Emery havent done anything to rectify/counter that.
How do you solve this problem? You change tactics, you come up with alternatives to Xhaka. You make sure Xhaka has quick passing lanes and also take some of the pressure to create from deep from him.

For example how he used Holding before his injury. Holding for a CD is a quick, brilliant passer of the ball in thight spaces. With Holding, Monreal, Xhaka, Torreira combining and Bellerin offering serious pace, Arsenal's build up play from deep was fluent, quick and unpredictable.

Arsenal will work it and Holding or Xhaka will end up passing that killer ball from deep. At times Torreira played the key pass from deep. The consequence was if you wanted to press Arsenal, you had to commit extra men, leaving gaping holes in your defence to be exploited if the press fails.

But we lost Holding and Bellerin, also Monreal did not look the same player as team targeted our left side, our passing from deep became slow, ponderous and predictable in its reliance on Xhaka. This must change for the team and Xhaka.
Mister Dolly
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mister Dolly »

As for me Zaha is not worth that crazy money CP is asking for. Can't afford to buy another overpriced player
"Because of Jesus, it's a glorious life...."
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
This, for me, is the best piece of news I've heard all summer. When I heard that Spurs were after this player, I feared the worst cause right from his U-17 days for Spain, I thought he had mad talent. I watched him star for Spain in the just concluded U-21 Euros and he continued balling. I hope we have an option to buy him permanently.

For me, he's Santi Carzola's replacement, not Ramsey's.
Ok, with this guy in, I'm ready to tune in and watch games. Kai!!!
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cally wrote:
azuka wrote:

Our not offering enough offensively is due to how the Emery positions the players on the pitch. TACTICS. Now some here we take it as an attack on Emery. But the truth must be told.
In many matches we have one of the best creator of chances Ozil playing so deep in our own half when he more effective in the opponent 3rd half. Auba is known for his speed, but can someone recollect how many times last season we explored this skill to score a counter attacking goal? I bet everyone is scratching their head to remember such a goal.
With the number of goals we scored last season, if we had conceded just 10 less goals we would have finished 3rd in the league. And yes, that's a fact. It all points to the same thing. A leaking basket of a defence.
And yes defending is a team's work. So we need to get a quality defender into our starting eleven and possibly bring back Keown to help beat our defending into shape.
Azuka, your points are solid. However, I don't think statistics tell all the story here. Yes, we may say that conceding 10 less goals would have gotten us in third position, but I daresay that a more potent and efficient attack would have made opponents less likely to attack us in the first place.

The EPL is a league of confidence. If you are a top side, the only way you can stay a top side is by attacking the lower teams with such ruthlessness that their game plan will always be around defense first. For me, that is Manchester City and Liverpool's main weapons. Most teams prepare to defend first against those teams cause if you dare attack them, you leave holes that they exploit with ruthless efficiency. That is also the main weapon Sir Alex used to make Manchester United almost invincible. He used that fear factor to kill opponents and referees alike, even the FA.

Once these lower teams in the EPL gain the confidence to have a go at you anyhow, then you cease to be a top team. That is why I'm not too worried that we seem to be going for more attacking players. Don't get me wrong, I also want a CB and a LB.
Spot on.

One reason why the Coach has come in for criticisms is his defensive tactics and set up of teams. It is being used to castigated him as being a small club coach. Remember him bringing in defensive reinforcements when we led Burnley by one goal at the Emirates stadium.

When teams saw our attack was weak, very predictable (Kolasinac cut back) they developed the confidence to attack us.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Willock will be an able replacement for Rambo.

Eddie needs a loan move

Mustafi needs to be given away for free. With Sokratis, Chambers, Holding, and Mavrapanos, we have a half decent squad of CBs.

We do not need Zaha. I will rather take a punt on the Brazilian Eveerton, or continue with Iwobi.

Caballos will be a very interesting signing.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Nkume wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Eddie needs a loan move

Mustafi needs to be given away for free. With Sokratis, Chambers, Holding, and Mavrapanos, we have a half decent squad of CBs.

We do not need Zaha. I will rather take a punt on the Brazilian Eveerton, or continue with Iwobi.

You miss my point. Why is it that we tend not to replace senior players we lose? This is a pattern. At a time we need seasoned warriors, we are settling for pups. Notice how we are entering this season with a young team filled with mainly unproven young players. This is a huge gamble and it worries me.

You mention Everton, he lacks serious pace and he is not proven in the EPL. Besides, I question the mental side of his game, but I could be wrong, he turns up and is another Sanchez.

Teams are very resolute and disciplined in the EPL, with their defensive schemes. You need more than quick short passing to pull defenders out of position to disorganised and disrupt their plans. This is why we Zaha who is proven with his lightening pace and dribbling ability to help disrupt, disorganise and open up defences.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Cally wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:
This, for me, is the best piece of news I've heard all summer. When I heard that Spurs were after this player, I feared the worst cause right from his U-17 days for Spain, I thought he had mad talent. I watched him star for Spain in the just concluded U-21 Euros and he continued balling. I hope we have an option to buy him permanently.

You nailed it. He is the one we need to replace Santi. But will Emery be brave enough to play him, Ozil and Xhaka in the same team?

Emery says he will play him as a number 8 or number 10. This suggests 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1.

Also, it suggests Emery is looking to move on from Ozil or to make sure he has options to Ozil. He did not last season. Emery has one year left, to get his contract renewed he needs top 4. He cannot be relying on players who questioned him and let him down last season.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Mister Dolly wrote:As for me Zaha is not worth that crazy money CP is asking for. Can't afford to buy another overpriced player
I agree.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tunisian Gooner wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
azuka wrote:

Totally agree.

Even likes of Man City and Liverpool off the ball requirements are cut down significantly due to ability to impose their will on the opposition. On the ball Arsenal were often rudderless, easy to nullify and eventually exploit. Arsenal must be more dynamic, have a far better variance in their attack, must regain ability to dictate tempo and match the with a more ruthless, efficient and balanced attack.
Exactly. You make the opposition do more off the ball work because you keep the ball and put the fear in their heads and minds with your offence. This is what Wenger brought to this league.

We have lost that fear.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Siddonlook11 wrote:Wait o so the attacking options I saw in the championship playoffs nko ? Why cant we go raid Villa Middleboriugh or derby .. why must we buy Zaha ? chai.. I reall dont like the Zaha thing, I like grealish for example but he also will not come cheap.. I like Lewis Grabban feel those two are ready for Prem.
My bro, if you want to buy any home proven player, unless there is something that drives the price down contractually, expect to pay.

Look at ManU, they are looking at minimum £130m for Wan Bikasa and Harry Maguire.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

azuka wrote:
Cally wrote:
azuka wrote:

I highlighted your points here because this is the same points i made earlier in the course of last season when Emery goes to play a team fighting relegation and deploys a defensive minded team. It's all about tactics.
Being that said, the question we all need to answer is why is it that we need to score 2 or more goals to win a match? Leading by one goal leads every Arsenal fan with a near-heartache until the referee blows his final whistle?
Bro, you said we are set up defensive, yet we cannot protect a one nil lead. It takes me back to a point I made earlier. As much as we need defenders who can defend, we also need a system that will get the best out of the players. Emery. As a new Coach tried many ideas, made too many changes and never had a settled team. This especially harmed a team that were not the best defensively.

Now we he has learnt his lessons and addresses the defensive issues in the team. For example, he changed our defending of Corners and wide free kicks from zonal to man marking, this was a mistake in timing. I now expect improvement.
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Waffiman wrote:
Nkume wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Eddie needs a loan move

You miss my point. Why is it that we tend not to replace senior players we lose? This is a pattern. At a time we need seasoned warriors, we are settling for pups. Notice how we are entering this season with a young team filled with mainly unproven young players. This is a huge gamble and it worries me.

You mention Everton, he lacks serious pace and he is not proven in the EPL. Besides, I question the mental side of his game, but I could be wrong, he turns up and is another Sanchez.

Teams are very resolute and disciplined in the EPL, with their defensive schemes. You need more than quick short passing to pull defenders out of position to disorganised and disrupt their plans. This is why we Zaha who is proven with his lightening pace and dribbling ability to help disrupt, disorganise and open up defences.
Palace is doing "iyanga" with 50 million. Let them go and sit down. If Everton is not good enough, then I suggest we use that money and buy a senior CB that is not Mustafi. Iwobi, Auba, Mhki, can all play in the LWF role.
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i expect Chelsea's hazard to punish assanal tonight
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Waffiman wrote:
Cally wrote:
Tunisian Gooner wrote:

You nailed it. He is the one we need to replace Santi. But will Emery be brave enough to play him, Ozil and Xhaka in the same team?

Emery says he will play him as a number 8 or number 10. This suggests 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1.

Also, it suggests Emery is looking to move on from Ozil or to make sure he has options to Ozil. He did not last season. Emery has one year left, to get his contract renewed he needs top 4. He cannot be relying on players who questioned him and let him down last season.
Nobody let Emery down last season. He let himself down big time by picking imaginary fights that do not exist. Tell me have you ever seen a coach that changes a winning team? Or a coach that makes 4 to 5 changes from match to match all in the name of trying to stamp his feet on the team? It is ridiculous.
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

Waffiman wrote:
azuka wrote:
Cally wrote:
azuka wrote:

Bro, you said we are set up defensive, yet we cannot protect a one nil lead. It takes me back to a point I made earlier. As much as we need defenders who can defend, we also need a system that will get the best out of the players. Emery. As a new Coach tried many ideas, made too many changes and never had a settled team. This especially harmed a team that were not the best defensively.

Now we he has learnt his lessons and addresses the defensive issues in the team. For example, he changed our defending of Corners and wide free kicks from zonal to man marking, this was a mistake in timing. I now expect improvement.
Yes in most of our away matches last season especially against the lower placed team. And the ridiculous thing is we still lost. Everyone is now saying sign Zaha, come start of the season and we are playing away to one of those lower league teams, expect Emery to dump Zaha on the bench for one flimpsy excuse or the other. The way he chops and changes the team is beyond imagination.
Honestly even if we sign Neymar, Messi, Ronaldo and that Liverpool CD of quality, i have no hope in Emery that we will make the top 4. He's too consistently inconsistent with his lineup to give me hope. And that cost us the CL this season. If anyone wonders why he was sacked in the dressing room in Russia after a match, then the match against Crystal Palace at home which he THREW away by his chopping and changing of his line-up is it.
Football it's a team game. It requires a core of 8 to 9 players playing consistently together to develop telepathy. Last season Emery doesn't have that. And i doubt if he will this season.
So back to siddonlook mode.