Senegal vs Algeria final - Some Thoughts

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Senegal vs Algeria final - Some Thoughts

Post by Enugu II »

King Futcha wrote:Senegal will win, the didn't know how to react to the dirty tactics from this first matchup, this time they will be ready.
Key point. Senegal fell into same trap against Tunisia when the dirty tactics put a damper on their game. I was surprised because Tunisia was the poorest team in the semi finals and yet Senegal huffed and puffed after Tunisia applied the usual niggling fouls, dives, harassing referee etc. Algeria will likely do the same. However, Mane is on a one-man mission at this AFCON. Moreover, Yujam has mentioned Gana as well. Gana may have scored one of the best individual goals in this tournament. One thing for sure, these are, without doubt, the best two teams at this AFCON.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Algeria will win this AFCON.... they normally win the following edition after Cameroon
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Bigpokey24 wrote:Algeria will win this AFCON.... they normally win the following edition after Cameroon
They've only won one title, there is no "normally".
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

kalani JR wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:Algeria will win this AFCON.... they normally win the following edition after Cameroon
:rotf:
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
kalani JR wrote:
:rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Ekorian
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Ekorian »

King Futcha wrote:Senegal will win, the didn't know how to react to the dirty tactics from this first matchup, this time they will be ready.
SENEGAL WON, JUST HOW THE MILWAUKEE BUCKS WON THE EASTERN CONFERENCE :lol: :lol: :lol:
GOD BLESS CANADA, THE GREATEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

Enugu II wrote:
Key point. Senegal fell into same trap against Tunisia when the dirty tactics put a damper on their game. I was surprised because Tunisia was the poorest team in the semi finals and yet Senegal huffed and puffed after Tunisia applied the usual niggling fouls, dives, harassing referee etc. Algeria will likely do the same. However, Mane is on a one-man mission at this AFCON. Moreover, Yujam has mentioned Gana as well. Gana may have scored one of the best individual goals in this tournament. One thing for sure, these are, without doubt, the best two teams at this AFCON.
I cannot agree with the underlined statement.

Algeria, yes, best team of the tournament no question asked.
Senegal? No. This final showed they had no clue how to deal with Algeria, even if they had already faced them once in this tourney and had to deal with the same tactics.

Nigeria performed better against Algeria than Senegal, so for me, the best 2 teams in the tournament met already in the semis.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

I think I'd rather lose in the knockout stages than in the final. To come so close and fall short...

That's gotta sting.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
west33637
Egg
Egg

Post by west33637 »

Look at the game stats below. The stats don't lie. Look at the fouls. Look at the attacking stats. Senegal was robbed by very poor officiating. The Algerians resorted to blatant fouls to disrupt any potential attack. They should've received several red cards, and would not have won that game but for poor officiating. 32 fouls??? and those are the ones that were called!
Home Team Senegal Away Team Algeria

Possession
Home 62% Away 38%

Shots
Home 12 Away 1

Shots on Target
Home 3 Away 1

Corners
Home6 Away 2

Fouls
Home 18 . Away 32
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

west33637 wrote:Look at the game stats below. The stats don't lie. Look at the fouls. Look at the attacking stats. Senegal was robbed by very poor officiating. The Algerians resorted to blatant fouls to disrupt any potential attack. They should've received several red cards, and would not have won that game but for poor officiating. 32 fouls??? and those are the ones that were called!
Home Team Senegal Away Team Algeria

Possession
Home 62% Away 38%

Shots
Home 12 Away 1

Shots on Target
Home 3 Away 1

Corners
Home6 Away 2

Fouls
Home 18 . Away 32

Oh boy, I dont know which kind brukutu you don drink, but your head no dey house if you think Senegal dominated this match.
No issues with your stats. All I am saying is Algeria were never in danger and controlled the game the moment they scored in the 3rd min.

The rest na tori.

Oh and btw, the Ref was very much pro Senegal.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

King Futcha wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Queen Futcha is a Site Admin??? I think I just threw up in my mouth.
thank you for your support D, I promise to uphold the high standard set by site admins past and present.
Great to see how enthusiastic you are about your unpaid internship :clap:
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Dummy Yujam always talks about certain teams choking. Why isn't his unintelligent self talking about perennial chokers Senegal? Easily the most overrated team in African footy history.
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

Heliopolis wrote:Dummy Yujam always talks about certain teams choking. Why isn't his unintelligent self talking about perennial chokers Senegal? Easily the most overrated team in African footy history.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

They're the most frustrating team ever. Come with so much promise and deliver nothing.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Heliopolis wrote:Dummy Yujam always talks about certain teams choking. Why isn't his unintelligent self talking about perennial chokers Senegal? Easily the most overrated team in African footy history.
They are not overrated. They lost to the best team of the tournament. They have made it to the quarter finals of the world cup. Something only few africans teams have achieved.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

I just watched all 90 in my basement and here are some observations

Senegal have nothing to be ashamed about. They played with dignity and determination. But the team isn’t quite there in terms of personnel, tactics and experience. They are close and their time will come. Sooner or later they’ll make a major impact at the WC or African Nations Cup.

On the personnel side, their defense is rock solid and will be for a while. In midfield, they have two top players in Badou Njie and Gana but they lack a true 10 who can unlock defenses. It should be interesting to see how Krispin Diatta evolves. He actually looked good when he cane in today. But he’s only 20 and at a Belgian club. He definitely seems to have the raw talent to become something so we’ll see how that pans out. They’ll need to make sure they have a deeper midfield with adequate subs.

In attack, they clearly lack a good CF. Niang can’t trap, control or shoot the ball.
He is an old fashioned CF that tries to hold off players but while he has the strength to hold off players, he can’t set up the plays. They’ll have to improve in this area. Sarr like Diatta is young and he’ll have to improve too. He has time on his side though and he’s pretty good already. They have a good group of attackers too.

On the tactical side it is clear their coach needs help. Senegal’s passing game is simply not varied enough. It could be made more dynamic by using more movement and combination play. That is apparent in their midfield and the last third. At the moment their game is too predictable. Their game is often times too hurried and because of this they make the wrong pass.

This Senegal side is going to peak in a few years. They’ll be frightening. As for An Algeria, they are deserved tourney winners Let’s see how they’ll do now. One thing is for sure they will not get away with persistently fouling at the bigger tourneys. Refs may not even look favorably at this tactic in a home and away series.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

@Yuj, Senegal were disjointed at best, at times resembling an Ehlers-Danlos spot diagnosis quiz station. Did they need a ten? No, what they needed was an identity, a system of play that could be executed with consistency. In true "African" African style, they seemed content to make big, powerful, muscular, marauding runs through the midfield, all the while staring down at their feet. The less said of the reactionary movement of the rest in such moments, the better. Woeful.

"Peak in a few years", perhaps in Africa, the first rung on the ladder, on a global stage, no chance, not without a major philosophical revolution, preceded by a basic education.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Ekorian wrote:
SENEGAL WON, JUST HOW THE MILWAUKEE BUCKS WON THE EASTERN CONFERENCE :lol: :lol: :lol:
yes, just like serena won number 24, just like canada won the wwc.

i wish i could predict as well as you do.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
King Futcha
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by King Futcha »

Heliopolis wrote:
King Futcha wrote:
bret- hart wrote:Queen Futcha is a Site Admin??? I think I just threw up in my mouth.
thank you for your support D, I promise to uphold the high standard set by site admins past and present.
Great to see how enthusiastic you are about your unpaid internship :clap:
you can go back into your hole, thanks in advance.
Saints baby we did it
“I am in my technical zone and I can’t hear the boos,” Domenech said.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Coach wrote:@Yuj, Senegal were disjointed at best, at times resembling an Ehlers-Danlos spot diagnosis quiz station. Did they need a ten? No, what they needed was an identity, a system of play that could be executed with consistency. In true "African" African style, they seemed content to make big, powerful, muscular, marauding runs through the midfield, all the while staring down at their feet. The less said of the reactionary movement of the rest in such moments, the better. Woeful.

"Peak in a few years", perhaps in Africa, the first rung on the ladder, on a global stage, no chance, not without a major philosophical revolution, preceded by a basic education.
Well time will tell. Let’s wait and see
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Watching City vs Wolves, Asia Cup Final, whole host of neophytes on the field and yet more brain on display than all of the business rounds of the AfCON combined, Angelino aside.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

camex wrote:
They are not overrated. They lost to the best team of the tournament. They have made it to the quarter finals of the world cup. Something only few africans teams have achieved.
And they have yet to win a trophy, something many African teams have achieved.

Senegal is like the Ghana team of the past 15 years. Solid defensive players which keeps them competitive in every match but little talent up front to score goals and win matches.

Keep hyping them up as you wish...they do not have the attacking talent to achieve anything in the coming years. In fact, given how CAF has reverted to the previous WCQ format, Senegal will be at a disadvantage. Any team that goes up against them in a playoff will go for the first goal and then be content to sit back and watch Senegal bang their heads against a wall.
camex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by camex »

Heliopolis wrote:
camex wrote:

Senegal is like the Ghana team of the past 15 years. Solid defensive players which keeps them competitive in every match but little talent up front to score goals and win matches.

Keep hyping them up as you wish...they do not have the attacking talent to achieve anything in the coming years. In fact, given how CAF has reverted to the previous WCQ format, Senegal will be at a disadvantage. Any team that goes up against them in a playoff will go for the first goal and then be content to sit back and watch Senegal bang their heads against a wall.
Egypt has never been the quarter finals of the world cup. Are they really the best african side? Are they overrated?
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

camex wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:
camex wrote:

Egypt has never been the quarter finals of the world cup. Are they really the best african side? Are they overrated?
Pay attention. What does Egypt have to do with a conversation about the 2019 Senegalese national team? Shall we now start talking about Cameron's team, Cameroonian politics, and Paul Biya's wife's hair?