VAR in the Premier League

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet
VAR in the Premier League

Post by Cristao II »

THST board member Martin Buhagiar represented the Trust at a VAR session that detailed how the system will work in the Premier League next season. The event was hosted by Premier League Productions, at Stockley Park, Uxbridge - the venue where Video Assistant Referees will be based during games when the new season kicks off.

https://www.thstofficial.com/thst-news/ ... ar-session

From August 9th VAR will be used in the PL for “clear and obvious errors” or “serious missed incidents”.
This will be applied in four match-changing situations:

Goals
Direct red cards
Penalties
Mistaken identity

VAR will automatically check these situations as a matter of course – no signal is needed by the referee. However, the final decision will always be taken by the referee who has been told to maintain the pace and tempo of Premier League matches.
The PL accepts it will not achieve 100 per cent accuracy but believes it will increase Key Match Incident accuracy which is currently at 82 per cent.

One of the biggest changes to what has previously been seen with VAR will be offsides. For example, with some offside decisions you will see the flag raised but play allowed to continue. This will be an obvious change from UEFA/Fifa where officials were advised to keep their flags down until a decision had been made.

For clear immediate goalscoring chances an assistant referee will raise the flag as normal, the referee will delay the whistle until the match outcome and VAR will then check.

VAR will use 3D lines to determine offside positions. We were given a demonstration of this and it is accurate to the point that it would be hard to argue against. Players have been told they must play to the whistle.

With regards to how far back VAR will go - there is no time limit. However, the PL wants to minimise the amount of time used on VAR so the term ‘attacking phase of play’ is important here.

There are a number of factors to consider:
The attacking phase of play is a move that leads directly to a goal
The defending team gaining possession is important in these terms
The ability of the defence to ‘re-set’ is taken into consideration
Immediate, not multiple phases, are checked

So for example, Naby Keita’s goal away against Southampton would not be overturned by VAR. In the build-up to that goal Mo Salah is clearly offside and this is missed by the assistant referee. The game continues and a cross is cleared by the home side. Liverpool regain possession and it is at this point it is believed Southampton’s defence has re-set. Liverpool score from the next cross. Therefore, when the ball eventually hits the back of the net, it is agreed the Mo Salad offside did not directly lead to the goal, the defending team had cleared the ball and re-set and Liverpool had then scored.

With penalties, VAR intervention will be used for:

Clear errors on goalkeeper movement by on-field officials – by clear they mean excessive early movement before the kick has been taken
Double touch by players taking the kick
Feigning at the point of the kick

Encroachment that has a direct impact on the outcome of the kick – the example given here was Jan Vertonghen’s goal-line clearance versus Arsenal after Aubameyang had missed the penalty. After further questioning by the THST rep, it was agreed that the penalty would have been overturned anyway with the player booked for diving and a freekick given to Spurs.

The handballs seen in the Champions League, particularly the Tottenham – Man City game (Danny Rose), the PSG – Manchester United game (Presnel Kimpembe), and Tottenham – Liverpool game (Moussa Sissoko) would not be deemed by the PL VAR as handball. The PL uses a different interpretation of the handball rule to UEFA.

The rule to be introduced in the Premier League states that a player should not be penalised if they are believed to be using their arms for balance or in this case, where the player is gesticulating to team-mates to cover a rival player.

As Mike Riley, General Manager of PGMOL, said at the time of the Sissoko handball: "That’s not a deliberate act of extending the arm away from the body. You also see the ball deflects off the chest on to the arm, and if you put everything together and apply the philosophy we do here, we wouldn’t say that was handball."

For ‘not seen’ incidents (off the ball elbows, punches etc) there will be a VAR window to intervene. When the ball is in play, this will be at the next re-start and when the ball is out of play, this will be the second re-start.

Referees will also be less likely to view the pitch-side monitor to make a decision as their Video Assistant Referee will also be a Premier League official who will advise on what they have seen via the slow motion and many angled replays.

For match-attending fans, overturned VAR decisions will be shown on in-stadium screens with the exception of Old Trafford (Manchester United) and Anfield (Liverpool) where there are no screens. At these stadiums the scoreboards and electronic advertising boards can be used to advise fans that a VAR check is underway, when a conclusion has been reached and what that decision is.

Every goal scored in the Premier League will be automatically checked as a matter of course with a view that the process will be completed before the celebrations have been concluded.

Players will not be booked for simply requesting that VAR checks an incident, but unique incidents may see players cautioned. For example, if a player politely requests that an incident is viewed a referee can explain the situation to him. However, if a player runs half the length of the pitch gesticulating that VAR should investigate, this will likely lead to a yellow card. Clubs have been told.

Players will be booked if they attempt to enter a Referee Review Area on their own or for interfering with referee communication.

The PL has set a high bar for clear and obvious error before a change has been made to the original decision. It says VAR will not completely remove controversy over subjective decisions. The tackle by Man City captain Vincent Kompany on Liverpool’s Mo Salah at the Eithad Stadium was given as an example of this. Many felt Kompany should have been sent off but VAR would have allowed the yellow card to stand.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: VAR in the Premier League

Post by green4life »

Thanks for sharing. It will be interesting to see how it plays out during the course of games.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

It would be best if they use it the way it was used at the ANC...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

so Kane won't win PKs for diving anymore, or would a separate set of rules apply to him?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:so Kane won't win PKs for diving anymore, or would a separate set of rules apply to him?
Cant wait to see Mike Dean switching the damn thing off :lol: :lol:
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

bk-one wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:so Kane won't win PKs for diving anymore, or would a separate set of rules apply to him?
Cant wait to see Mike Dean switching the damn thing off :lol: :lol:

the man will circumvent red cards by giving two yellows to Arsenal players. The yellows are not VAR-eligible....only straight reds.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

kolinzo
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kolinzo »

I like the Americanization of soccer. It is long overdue.
DAK TO THE FUTURE...HOT BOYZ...DEM BOYZ...COWBOYZ!!

To be scientifically literate is to empower yourself to know when someone else is full of boolsheet!

Scientifically speaking: ANC Trophies = 3/4 when Br^33 = 0.
***Breda = Br****
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

EPL referees including their Video Assistant Referees are just too incompetent.

I think the on the field Referees and their FA are conspiring to make fans dislike VAR.

Inconsistent application continues to be the hallmark of VAR application in the EPL.

EPL referees incompetence have extended to the application of VAR.

They can keep fighting technology but it is here to stay. They should find new ways of executing their bias (I would use perfidy...but I no get evidence).

Damn shame. :veryangry: :?
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Cellular wrote:EPL referees including their Video Assistant Referees are just too incompetent.

I think the on the field Referees and their FA are conspiring to make fans dislike VAR.

Inconsistent application continues to be the hallmark of VAR application in the EPL.

EPL referees incompetence have extended to the application of VAR.

They can keep fighting technology but it is here to stay. They should find new ways of executing their bias (I would use perfidy...but I no get evidence).

Damn shame. :veryangry: :?
the rogues are trying to justify their roguery.

Didnt watch the Tottenham vs Everton match, but from the highlights alone, it was a disgrace. Son should have gotten a yellow for a clear dive, but the ref let it go. Clear handball by Dele, which would have been called against most teams was let go after multiple reviews. Finally Sanchez kicking and bringing down Richarlison on a breakaway? Kai, EPL refs are masters of cheating.
AFCON 2019 sweet o

cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

I'm a big fan of VAR. It has added another layer of excitement to the game - the wait to know the VAR decision. 10 years from now, people will be wondering how the game was played for so long without VAR.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

cic old boy wrote:I'm a big fan of VAR. It has added another layer of excitement to the game - the wait to know the VAR decision. 10 years from now, people will be wondering how the game was played for so long without VAR.
I agree with this.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

That Sheffield Utd goal disallowed v Spurs yesterday was a ludicrous decision.
This thing should be about the spirit of the law rather than ta bind adherence to the letter.
How such a goal could in all good conscience be ruled offside is baffling and I believe is counterproductive.
The game is ultimately about goals,

For a throw in, corner, goal kick and even a goal, the ball has to fully cross the line (in its entirety).
Why they now feel that the tip of a toe can rule someone offside is beggars belief.

John Lundstram was deemed to have his toe in an offside position (Image: SKY SPORTS)

I'd say a full foot-length (say 10 inches) has to be the minimum length a scoreable part of the body has to be offside before a goal is disallowed or the call made.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:That Sheffield Utd goal disallowed v Spurs yesterday was a ludicrous decision.
This thing should be about the spirit of the law rather than ta bind adherence to the letter.
How such a goal could in all good conscience be ruled offside is baffling and I believe is counterproductive.

For a throw in, corner, goal kick and even a goal, the ball has to fully cross the line (in its entirety).
Why they now feel that the tip of a toe can rule someone offside is beggars belief.

John Lundstram was deemed to have his toe in an offside position (Image: SKY SPORTS)

I'd say a full foot-length (say 10 inches) has to be the minimum length a scoreable part of the body has to be offside before a goal is disallowed or the call made.
I will investigate the gambling pattern of such games.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

They are up to something. Someone wants a hold on PL results and they think VAR, the PL version of it, is how they could do that.

If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
slyk
Egg
Egg

Post by slyk »

Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:That Sheffield Utd goal disallowed v Spurs yesterday was a ludicrous decision.

That decision was a travesty. The off-side is supposed to be one of the indisputable and clear cut decisions made by VAR but the premier league has succeeded in muddling it up. With all the advancements in technology, the off-side call can be automated fairly easily thereby taking the decision making away from possibly compromised/biased humans. A code can be written that builds in an agreed tolerance in the off-side margin and the decision will be consistently and correctly made by the computer, just as is currently done with goal line technology. Again, that decision was a joke.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

slyk wrote:
Cellular wrote:

That decision was a travesty. The off-side is supposed to be one of the indisputable and clear cut decisions made by VAR but the premier league has succeeded in muddling it up. With all the advancements in technology, the off-side call can be automated fairly easily thereby taking the decision making away from possibly compromised/biased humans. A code can be written that builds in an agreed tolerance in the off-side margin and the decision will be consistently and correctly made by the computer, just as is currently done with goal line technology. Again, that decision was a joke.

And it took the VAR Ref over 3 minutes to come to his conclusion. Ridiculous, to say the least.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

Tottenham has benefited the most on shiety VAR calls so I expect the likes of Cristao and them to continue to embrace this rubbish. The implementation of VAR has been so crazily stupid that it's been rendered anywhere from useless at best to a real threat towards destroying football at worst. The fact that the clowns called refs won't go and watch the video replay is obvious in showing they're disinterested in getting it right. Man mi, go and watch the video nah. No, I will go by what is is whispered into my ear from upstairs. :rotf: It's obvious what is happening. So stupid.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

green4life wrote:

Tottenham has benefited the most on shiety VAR calls so I expect the likes of Cristao and them to continue to embrace this rubbish. The implementation of VAR has been so crazily stupid that it's been rendered anywhere from useless at best to a real threat towards destroying football at worst. The fact that the clowns called refs won't go and watch the video replay is obvious in showing they're disinterested in getting it right. Man mi, go and watch the video nah. No, I will go by what is is whispered into my ear from upstairs. :rotf: It's obvious what is happening. So stupid.
All of them are thieves
AFCON 2019 sweet o

Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

green4life wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: Ajax vs. Chelsea nko. VAR is implemented poorly in the EPL.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Sleaky72
Egg
Egg

Post by Sleaky72 »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... lties.html

I ain’t quite sure the coach’s on the hot seat will feel better by these admissions
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

VAR will ruin football.
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Benedict Iroha wrote:VAR will ruin football.
The PL version is crap.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
Benedict Iroha wrote:VAR will ruin football.
The PL version is crap.
There aint no truer words than those.
A former incompetent referee incompetently heading an incompetent organization is the problem not VAR.
Technology is as good as the man operating it.