OLOYE: Defender's Awareness in Defensive Phase

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
OLOYE: Defender's Awareness in Defensive Phase

Post by danfo driver »

Oloye:

I have a question. Is it possible to teach a defender "awareness?" or is it something you are born with. I have noticed several defenders in top teams struggle with this. I am surprised by this because as a teenage defender in high school, I was a right back who sometimes played as a defensive midfielder. At that young age, I knew that I could not play in a vacuum. I had to be aware of my surroundings, aware of my fellow defenders, their positioning and their movements. I had to be aware of the opponents, their positioning in the box, outside the box and their off the ball runs. I had to be conscious of all these at the same time. it was natural and I thought every defender understood this and had this.

Watching the CL final, last may, seeing a defender of the caliber of Aldweireld go completely lost for that origi goal, as if his soul had left his body was unbelievable. Then Sanchez pulled the same crap against City, yesterday.

Is awareness teachable?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OLOYE: Defender's Awareness in Defensive Phase

Post by oloye »

danfo driver wrote:Oloye:

I have a question. Is it possible to teach a defender "awareness?" or is it something you are born with. I have noticed several defenders in top teams struggle with this. I am surprised by this because as a teenage defender in high school, I was a right back who sometimes played as a defensive midfielder. At that young age, I knew that I could not play in a vacuum. I had to be aware of my surroundings, aware of my fellow defenders, their positioning and their movements. I had to be aware of the opponents, their positioning in the box, outside the box and their off the ball runs. I had to be conscious of all these at the same time. it was natural and I thought every defender understood this and had this.

Watching the CL final, last may, seeing a defender of the caliber of Aldweireld go completely lost for that origi goal, as if his soul had left his body was unbelievable. Then Sanchez pulled the same crap against City, yesterday.

Is awareness teachable?
I think you already know the answer my buddy. If you have this knowledge from high school, then something must be wrong if defenders at this level do not.

I think the biggest issue here is that of sheer laziness or carelessness or even moments of fatigue.
Awareness is coached as roles a defender is assigned as part of a functional defensive unit. It is coached as assigned responsibilities, movements and coverage etc.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oloye wrote:

Is awareness teachable?
I think you already know the answer my buddy. If you have this knowledge from high school, then something must be wrong if defenders at this level do not.

I think the biggest issue here is that of sheer laziness or carelessness or even moments of fatigue.
Awareness is coached as roles a defender is assigned as part of a functional defensive unit. It is coached as assigned responsibilities, movements and coverage etc.
That's a very good point that actually didn't cross my mind. I would initially have classified that as "lack of concentration." However, it also ties in it.

For Sanchez yesterday, there was one move that had me shouting and laughing at the same time yesterday. Aguero had the ball and was approaching the box. Sanchez was marking him. All of a sudden, Sanchez decides to literally run away and ran into the box, leaving Aguero free, as if he wanted to run and mark Sterling. However, Sterling was already being marked by another Spurs player. it seemed like he didnt realize that his teammate would already be picking up Sterling (or was that Mahrez).
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

danfo driver wrote:
oloye wrote:

Is awareness teachable?

That's a very good point that actually didn't cross my mind. I would initially have classified that as "lack of concentration." However, it also ties in it.

For Sanchez yesterday, there was one move that had me shouting and laughing at the same time yesterday. Aguero had the ball and was approaching the box. Sanchez was marking him. All of a sudden, Sanchez decides to literally run away and ran into the box, leaving Aguero free, as if he wanted to run and mark Sterling. However, Sterling was already being marked by another Spurs player. it seemed like he didnt realize that his teammate would already be picking up Sterling (or was that Mahrez).
You must understand that sometimes part of what makes a good defender is the ability to guess or anticipate what the opposing player is gonna do. When it works out you look like a genius but when it goes wrong... Well what you just described is the result. If you ask Sanchez, am sure he will give a plausible reason for his actions.

I like to say what makes a bad player is when they do the same thing over and over, otherwise in the sequence of a game even the best players can make mistakes
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

oloye wrote: You must understand that sometimes part of what makes a good defender is the ability to guess or anticipate what the opposing player is gonna do. When it works out you look like a genius but when it goes wrong... Well what you just described is the result. If you ask Sanchez, am sure he will give a plausible reason for his actions.

I like to say what makes a bad player is when they do the same thing over and over, otherwise in the sequence of a game even the best players can make mistakes
True true ...
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

In Davinson's defence, he typically plays on the right side of the defence and not the left side. That may explain his behaviour. Also Toby is not an organiser. Vertonghen is and will be missed. Spurs next big spend will be on a left sided CB that can marshal a defence.
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Perspective. @Barrington Danfo, did any of those defenders or even opposing forwards from those High School days, go on to play at professional level? How complete is the schoolyard curriculum? Does the precociously overgrown, big black lad up top, as always is the case in adolescence, learn the art of evasion, of precise and calculated movement? Or is it ever the old adage, "bang it up to the big fella?". All defenders, even those of critical acclaim, are subject to moments of error. There is much presumption, gamble and chance taken in the art of defending, as the game evolves, so too does its teachings. The opposition today are occupying spaces that didn't exist in previous eras and trying ardently to create spaces within half-spaces. Add in fatigue and the inevitable lapse in concentration, moments the modern forward is trained to exploit and the inevitability of the defensive error becomes more apparent.

The schoolyard is a long, long, long way from Hogwarts.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Cristao II wrote:In Davinson's defence, he typically plays on the right side of the defence and not the left side. That may explain his behaviour.
Interestingly, on that move, he was on the right-hand side and ran to the left.

That said, the position where you play shouldn't (at least in my opinion) have any bearing on your awareness. As I said, I played right-back and also on a few occasions, helped out at defensive midfield. On some very rare occasions, I also played CB. In all positions, I ha the same mindset.

P.s-- I am not sure if Oloye was versatile, as I didn't get the chance to watch him play a lot. But I'd like his opinion here--- In defense, I think the full-back or wing-back position is the most difficult position when defending! You need to have eyes behind your back. You could think you have covered the space behind you, but if you arent careful, the winger is looking at one large river niger to walk past you. :lol: :lol:
Also Toby is not an organiser. Vertonghen is and will be missed. Spurs next big spend will be on a left sided CB that can marshal a defence.
I have completely lost all hope on Toby. I think that last injury he had destroyed him.
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Oga Danfo the opposition matters when you are defending,facing world class team like City a lot will run down your head in a second just trying to figure if you can stop the players or hide you think too much and lack awareness.Some are just dam good calm and do a fantastic job.Maldini comes in mind always aware of everything around him.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

kajifu wrote:Oga Danfo the opposition matters when you are defending,facing world class team like City a lot will run down your head in a second just trying to figure if you can stop the players or hide you think too much and lack awareness.Some are just dam good calm and do a fantastic job.Maldini comes in mind always aware of everything around him.

While you have a point, the basics never changes. Doesn’t matter who you are facing.

Matter watching this link from 3:55. It’s a different topic, but the same idea of my initial comment that the principles of basic football never changes, regardless of who your opposition is.

[/video]
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

danfo driver wrote:
kajifu wrote:Oga Danfo the opposition matters when you are defending,facing world class team like City a lot will run down your head in a second just trying to figure if you can stop the players or hide you think too much and lack awareness.Some are just dam good calm and do a fantastic job.Maldini comes in mind always aware of everything around him.

While you have a point, the basics never changes. Doesn’t matter who you are facing.

Matter watching this link from 3:55. It’s a different topic, but the same idea of my initial comment that the principles of basic football never changes, regardless of who your opposition is.

[/video]
You are right the basic should not change,Jose explaination make sense.Alot has change in football but true the basic remain the same.
So how come a lot of top players lack this basic awareness in defensive phase of the game?I am talking about top professional making a whole lot of money?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Uncle Oloye, did you see that by Sanchez????!! Did you see that??!!! At this level? I didnt make that mistake as a high school football player! Did you see that?!
Donzman
Egg
Egg

Post by Donzman »

danfo driver wrote:Uncle Oloye, did you see that by Sanchez????!! Did you see that??!!! At this level? I didnt make that mistake as a high school football player! Did you see that?!
Rose should have moved over with Sanchez but he was busy worrying about the midfielder. Sanchez shifted with Aldeweir... and Rose should have moved over to the space where Joelinton occupied to maintain a compact unit. Sanchez shifting over to Joelinton would have left a lot of space between himself and Aldew... Sanchez pointed to Rose who had a clear view of the run seconds in advance but Rose chose to gamble to the midfielder (watch it again).

The goal reminded me of Maguire and Lindelof against Palace yesterday, Maguire should have covered the space with Lindelof but he was daydreaming or being optimistic about Lindelof's chances with the header. Everyone is blaming Lindelof but that was all on Maguire leaving too much space between himself and Lindelof.

Sanchez was at fault last week for not moving over to cover the space with his left back. I don't think Sanchez and Rose have developed a good understanding yet.