Guinea gave a good account of themselves against Chile

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Guinea gave a good account of themselves against Chile

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

I think they were unlucky with that penalty given against them. They seem to be playing like Nigeria, sitting deep and hitting opponents on the counter-attack.

This may be the way forward for sub-Saharan African teams because one thing we have in abundance is pace. In life, you play to your strengths.
Leaf
Egg
Egg
Re: Guinea gave a good account of themselves against Chile

Post by Leaf »

Africa has turned the corner.
In 10 years I'm thinking we'll have 2 african teams in the top 10, and up to 5 in the top 25
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

France showed the way. Suffocate your opponent's attack, frustrate them psychologically, then take the ball from them in midfield and use individual speed to rack up the goals.

I can't even remember a team attack by France that lead to a goal. It was mostly use Kante and co to win the ball in midfield, then release their speedsters to score.

They had less than 40% possession in most of their games at the WC. In some of the key games they had less than 30% possession!

This is the template to win something with this SE, but we do need individual quality at the business end of scoring goals.

Wha choo looking at?!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Mods shangalo this to world forum
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

The Guinea team was severely depleted to boot.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Chile is not doing too great at the moment. For Guinea to allow themselves to be turned inside out constantly..hmm

It could have been better
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Scipio Africanus wrote:France showed the way. Suffocate your opponent's attack, frustrate them psychologically, then take the ball from them in midfield and use individual speed to rack up the goals.

I can't even remember a team attack by France that lead to a goal. It was mostly use Kante and co to win the ball in midfield, then release their speedsters to score.

They had less than 40% possession in most of their games at the WC. In some of the key games they had less than 30% possession!

This is the template to win something with this SE, but we do need individual quality at the business end of scoring goals.
Scipio, thanks for pointing this out.
It was brought up several times after the WC and buttresses my point that 'possession stats' need to be read in context on a game-by-game basis.

At the WC, France beat Argentina 4-3 with 38% possession and 170 less passes, beat Belgium 1-0 with 36% possession and 250 less passes and then beat Croatia 4-2 with 34% possession and 240 less passes in the final.

Makes you wonder...
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

To be honest Chile haven't particularly been in the most terrific form lately, secondly they have an aging generation of players already... and lastly it was just a friendly(though it significantly doesn't take away anything from the fact that African football is getting more competitive).
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Damunk wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:France showed the way. Suffocate your opponent's attack, frustrate them psychologically, then take the ball from them in midfield and use individual speed to rack up the goals.

It was brought up several times after the WC and buttresses my point that 'possession stats' need to be read in context on a game-by-game basis.

At the WC, France beat Argentina 4-3 with 38% possession and 170 less passes, beat Belgium 1-0 with 36% possession and 250 less passes and then beat Croatia 4-2 with 34% possession and 240 less passes in the final.

Makes you wonder...

Man, the tactics employed by France at the last WC were diabolically clever. They played to their strengths to a resounding T. Let the opposition have the ball (AKA useless possession) and beat their heads bloody against the wall of their solid defense. Then collect the ball and release their fast players into acres of space (useful possession). As I was watching France it struck me that they are remarkably similar to Nigeria, except of course with more quality. If we can improve on the business end of scoring goals, this SE team has a few trophies in it.

Wha choo looking at?!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Makes you wonder...

Man, the tactics employed by France at the last WC were diabolically clever. They played to their strengths to a resounding T. Let the opposition have the ball (AKA useless possession) and beat their heads bloody against the wall of their solid defense. Then collect the ball and release their fast players into acres of space (useful possession). As I was watching France it struck me that they are remarkably similar to Nigeria, except of course with more quality. If we can improve on the business end of scoring goals, this SE team has a few trophies in it.
Do we have those same attributes to get the same results? Hasn't the WC and ANC shown that to not be the case? Because it works for someone else doesn't mean its gonna work for us...The last time we won the ANC we controlled games, played with large possession of the ball, we just have yet to show we can win playing like this, but we shall see...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Makes you wonder...

Do we have those same attributes to get the same results? Hasn't the WC and ANC shown that to not be the case? Because it works for someone else doesn't mean its gonna work for us...The last time we won the ANC we controlled games, played with large possession of the ball, we just have yet to show we can win playing like this, but we shall see...
You are making the same point the man just made. It all comes down to the quality of the players.
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Robbynice wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Makes you wonder...

You are making the same point the man just made. It all comes down to the quality of the players.
No its not just about quality, its more so about playing style. There are lots of quality players playing at top teams but each of those teams plays different styles and buys quality players that fit that style. As an Arseanal fan you can see how Alexis Sanchez with all his quality couldn't fit into Manure's style of play. So, my issue is not necessarily or only about quality of our players, but do our players naturally fit the style being pushed on them by Rohr? Have we had success with this style or is this just the only way this coach knows/wants us to play? Realize he rarely if ever varies this style, rarely makes subs/changes, it makes one wonder about his competence...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
Scipio Africanus wrote:
Damunk wrote:

Makes you wonder...

This is true, but it works for any system, not just this one in contention.
'Experts' here were making a song and dance about the low possession rate and 'domination' by Brazil.
Does anyone realistically think playing a possession game against Brazil (note: Brazil, not Botswana or Bulgaria) would pay off? :idea:

Unfortunately the stats for the 2014 AFCN are not available so we can only go on memory. But a perusal of some of the live threads here on SE do not suggest we 'dominated' as everyone now seems to recall.

I vaguely recall loud complaints about our first game with Burkina Faso for instance.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:The last time we won the ANC we controlled games, played with large possession of the ball, we just have yet to show we can win playing like this, but we shall see...
Let's test our theory
You can check out the Ngr v B'Faso (Part 1) thread yourself:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=230177
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Damunk wrote:
maceo4 wrote:The last time we won the ANC we controlled games, played with large possession of the ball, we just have yet to show we can win playing like this, but we shall see...
Let's test our theory

I'd rather you re-watch the game, I've seen it so many times, and even commented on how CE was super wrong (as always b/c of real time game tension) about what happened, definition of controlling a game, the victory was never in doubt once we scored even with a forced change to our LB we still held firm control:

Nigeria vs Burkina Faso (Final)

First Chunk:
Second Chunk:
Third Chunk:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Let's test our theory

I'd rather you re-watch the game, I've seen it so many times, and even commented on how CE was super wrong (as always b/c of real time game tension) about what happened, definition of controlling a game, the victory was never in doubt once we scored even with a forced change to our LB we still held firm control:

First Chunk:
Second Chunk:
Third Chunk:
Thanks bro, but it's like the first chuck link has explicit content unrelated to the match.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

cchinukw wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Let's test our theory

First Chunk:
Second Chunk:
Third Chunk:
Thanks bro, but it's like the first chuck link has explicit content unrelated to the match.
Its actually the first half I don't know why they are doing that, but what you do is at the very bottom of the page turn off Family Filter

Privacy & Cookie Policy Terms Blog Family Filter:Off All videos Location:United States

Here's the Mali game too:

First Half:
Second Half:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

maceo4 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Let's test our theory

First Chunk:
Second Chunk:
Third Chunk:
Its actually the first half I don't know why they are doing that, but what you do is at the very bottom of the page turn off Family Filter

Privacy & Cookie Policy Terms Blog Family Filter:Off All videos Location:United States

Here's the Mali game too:

First Half:
Second Half:
Ok bro. Coolio.

I don forget say Brown Ideye dey this team. :taunt:

cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

When was the last time anyone saw SE terrorising a team constantly like this?

Even Omuero in his nappies was looking like Baresi. Some players were in the local league. Oshinawa was plying his trade in Israel.

Kai. God bless the Boss in his sleep. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

cchinukw wrote:When was the last time anyone saw SE terrorising a team constantly like this?

Even Omuero in his nappies was looking like Baresi. Some players were in the local league. Oshinawa was plying his trade in Israel.

I'm telling you, watching what Rohr is currently serving us is like our football going backwards. Look how we dismantled Mali, both Mali and BF had one foray into our box the entire 90 minutes. We controlled the game passing and moving the ball from the back to the midfield sumptuously. Imagine we were complaining about that soccer, but some of us want to praise what we are currently seeing...crazy. I could accept it if it was working but his style clearly hasn't worked in 2 tournaments now? I mean if we are always sitting back defending when will our fans get to do the Nigerian version of the Mexican "Ole" as we keep possession and pass around the desperate opponents? I mean our fans started doing it in the finals as early as minute 21 imagine! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by maceo4 on Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

maceo4 wrote:
cchinukw wrote:When was the last time anyone saw SE terrorising a team constantly like this?

I'm telling you, watching what Rohr is currently serving us is like our football going backwards. Look how we dismantled Mali, both Mali and BF had one foray into our box the entire 90 minutes. We controlled the game passing and moving the ball from the back to the midfield sumptuously. Imagine we were complaining about that soccer, but some of us want to praise what we are currently seeing...crazy.
I know what I saw and I am aware of SE standards. That is why I will defend to the death the standard that I expect of the SE. No snakeskin oilman is going to make me lower that standard!

It's disturbing how no RohrwWOrists have posted since. Totally took the wind out of them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

maceo4 wrote:

I'm telling you, watching what Rohr is currently serving us is like our football going backwards. Look how we dismantled Mali, both Mali and BF had one foray into our box the entire 90 minutes. We controlled the game passing and moving the ball from the back to the midfield sumptuously. Imagine we were complaining about that soccer, but some of us want to praise what we are currently seeing...crazy. I could accept it if it was working but his style clearly hasn't worked in 2 tournaments now? I mean if we are always sitting back defending when will our fans get to do the Nigerian version of the Mexican "Ole" as we keep possession and pass around the desperate opponents? I mean our fans started doing it in the finals as early as minute 21 imagine! :clap: :clap: :clap:
You are using Mali and Burkina Faso as your examples? Mali?!? and Burkina Faso?!? OK. I was a HUGE fan of the big boss :thumbs: too but even he could not get us to outpossess the likes of Argentina and Croatia. If you argue on this point I will pull out the match stats from our games against Bosnia and Argentina, which were coached by the big boss.

Bottom line, we do not have the players to out possess teams like Argentina, Croatia, Brazil, Germany, France, even England. We just don't! :idea: Even France with Pogba, Matuidi and Kante in their midfield were wise enough to cut their cloth according to their size and you guys are here blowing fufu fueled fantasies and delusions of grandeur about out possessing teams and "dominating games" . :laugh:

Wha choo looking at?!
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Scipio Africanus wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

You are using Mali and Burkina Faso as your examples? Mali?!? and Burkina Faso?!? OK. I was a HUGE fan of the big boss :thumbs: too but even he could not get us to outpossess the likes of Argentina and Croatia. If you argue on this point I will pull out the match stats from our games against Bosnia and Argentina, which were coached by the big boss.

Bottom line, we do not have the players to out possess teams like Argentina, Croatia, Brazil, Germany, France, even England. We just don't! :idea: Even France with Pogba, Matuidi and Kante in their midfield were wise enough to cut their cloth according to their size and you guys are here blowing fufu fueled fantasies and delusions of grandeur about out possessing teams and "dominating games" . :laugh:
Erm we lost to Madagascar this year. Any team at the tournament has earned a right to be there.

Nonetheless, the top seeds should rise to the top.

That year, BF was the dark horse. What was wrong with Mali at the time in your view? They were clearly one of the toughest on the continent. Come on now. Haba!